• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

QAkK4.png

Anyone else had this problem? Last night I put my Nexus to sleep next to my bed with Wi-Fi off (having spotty internet problems at the moment) and I wake to huge battery drain from "Google Services". I usually get stellar battery life (hardly any drain overnight), but its been lackluster since 4.2.

Husker86

QAkK4.png

Anyone else had this problem? Last night I put my Nexus to sleep next to my bed with Wi-Fi off (having spotty internet problems at the moment) and I wake to huge battery drain from "Google Services". I usually get stellar battery life (hardly any drain overnight), but its been lackluster since 4.2.

That doesn't look like much drain on the graph. If you hardly use your device you're going to have something that takes up the "most" battery. But just because the bar looks big doesn't mean it actually took that much juice, it just means it took more than other things. The line looks pretty flat on the graph (unless by overnight you mean the whole 24 hours).

This is just my interpretation of the graph. 4.2 has seemed to get battery complaints though.

Cipherr

QAkK4.png

Its a big 4.2 bug. Google announced they have a patch coming soon, they need to fix the Missing December thing and bugs like this one also. But yeah, nearly everyone on 4.2 with Location Services turned on it seeing it keep their device from deep sleeping and eating at the battery life.

Just noticed my new Nexus 7 (bought yesterday) has a tiny nick in the silver frame. Like, less than a millimeter long, but noticeable (to me anyway). So poll time, do I suppress my OCD or go back and exchange it? I got it at Walmart so it should be easy if I do.

mf.luder

Probably a really simple question but does this device have support for iCloud accounts? Like contacts, calendar and mail? If I remember correctly, my Nexus S did not.

Aiii

So not worth it
Probably a really simple question but does this device have support for iCloud accounts? Like contacts, calendar and mail? If I remember correctly, my Nexus S did not.

iCloud is by Apple, that answers your question, I hope?

Sync your Apple devices with Google using MS Exchange, that will put all those items on both devices and cross sync them.

Just noticed my new Nexus 7 (bought yesterday) has a tiny nick in the silver frame. Like, less than a millimeter long, but noticeable (to me anyway). So poll time, do I suppress my OCD or go back and exchange it? I got it at Walmart so it should be easy if I do.

If it bothers you that much take it back *shrugs*

ReconPeon

Suppress your ocd...
I have horrible ocd and my nexus 7 has the screen lifting issue. I kept mine and after a while you just stop caring.

RevDM

Banned
Suppress your ocd...
I have horrible ocd and my nexus 7 has the screen lifting issue. I kept mine and after a while you just stop caring.

I also have some screen lift, but I can push it flat. Also, I don't care if this thing isn't built super solid. It was only 200 bucks. If it gets me through 2 years, it is 200 worth spending.

edit: so how are people reacting to the non rubber backs?

RevDM

Banned
tablet restarted while I was using it. Now this is a problem.

edit: looks like it's a problem with HD Widgets. Apparently uninstalling it will fix the issue.

fritolay

Thanks to this thread and the ability in 4.2? or future Android versions to allow profiles/multiple logins, I purchased one last weekend.

Years ago my laptop became my main computer over my desktop. Now I am curious to see if the tablet will be my main device.

After trying different ROMs on my Galaxy Nexus I am very much an Android fan boy.

Schlep

Feedly works great until you add RSS feeds yourself. You go to the page in Feedly and it gives you one line of text with a link to article on a website. Which kinda defeats the point of Feedly.
That's the website's decision, not Feedly's. There are plenty out there you can add yourself that show all or most of the article.

If you look at my post history it's obvious I know jack when it comes to tech so don't laugh at my stupid questions.

I'm going to buy a Nexus 7 and rip all of my music cd's (yes I still buy those) to this. I have 2 albums I did buy off iTunes because these albums wern't released on CD's to buy on stores...can I buy albums off iTunes and put them on my Nexus?

Thanks!

Dizzan

MINI Member
Where the F&%K is the official dock for this thing.

Google continues to not get it.

I want to support their initiatives and their products but they are a joke. As much as I dislike Apples closed wall approach, they get shit right, especially accessories!!!!

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
If you look at my post history it's obvious I know jack when it comes to tech so don't laugh at my stupid questions.

I'm going to buy a Nexus 7 and rip all of my music cd's (yes I still buy those) to this. I have 2 albums I did buy off iTunes because these albums wern't released on CD's to buy on stores...can I buy albums off iTunes and put them on my Nexus?

Thanks!

I haven't done it on my Nexus but on my Android phone it's just drag and drop. You've got to put the phone into USB mode but, in my experience, the phone guides you through the simple process. It's just pressing one button on my screen.

No worries. 50% of my library is from back when I was on iTunes.

I haven't done it on my Nexus but on my Android phone it's just drag and drop. You've got to put the phone into USB mode but, in my experience, the phone guides you through the simple process. It's just pressing one button on my screen.

No worries. 50% of my library is from back when I was on iTunes.

Then there really is no reason to buy an Apple product. I appreciate your info! Will pick up a Nexus tomorrow.

Speevy

Banned
I'm thinking of getting one of these really soon (finally). The price is great but I figured I would ask anyway.

Any deals/free shipping, or just sites that sell this and have coupons?

Thanks to this thread and the ability in 4.2? or future Android versions to allow profiles/multiple logins, I purchased one last weekend.

Years ago my laptop became my main computer over my desktop. Now I am curious to see if the tablet will be my main device.

After trying different ROMs on my Galaxy Nexus I am very much an Android fan boy.

Totally depends on what you use your laptop for. If you are a casual user just browsing, youtube, and emailing etc then it's a high possibility. For others who use their PC to game, program etc...not really.

Loving this device. I did exchange the one with the chip in it for a nice pristine one, and bonus, I'm back on 4.1.2 :)

Two gripes, though...
1. Kindle app...the minimum font size is TOO BIG. People are complaining about it in the ratings....I hope they are going to fix it and not screw over Android users in favor of supporting the KFHD.

2. Wired app... does not support print subscriptions. The one on my ipad and the KFHD does. BOO.

I like the "my library" widget. It almost makes me want to buy into the play ecosystem, but i hate to split my ebook collection. With google music, do i actually have to upload my songs? It sounds like it'll take forever....

I like the "my library" widget. It almost makes me want to buy into the play ecosystem, but i hate to split my ebook collection. With google music, do i actually have to upload my songs? It sounds like it'll take forever....

It took mine days (over 10,000 songs) but it was completely in the background and when I wasn't using my computer. Also completely worth it.

Cipherr

With google music, do i actually have to upload my songs? It sounds like it'll take forever....

Google Music has a 'Match' service now. If the album/song you are uploading is available for purchase on the Play Store it will just match it and not bother uploading it. This speeds up the process tremendously as tons of your albums just auto populate.

Before 4.2 you had to do it the old slow way by just letting it run on your PC. I would still recommend running it on your PC though, so you can set your Music folders to auto upload any music you place in those folders. Keeps all your online albums up to date automatically.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Finally decided to go with the N7 rather than the N10. Getting it as a present for my bday coming up. Now just need to hack my Gnex or incoming N4 to allow tmobile hotspot.

_Isaac

Google Music has a 'Match' service now. If the album/song you are uploading is available for purchase on the Play Store it will just match it and not bother uploading it. This speeds up the process tremendously as tons of your albums just auto populate.

Before 4.2 you had to do it the old slow way by just letting it run on your PC. I would still recommend running it on your PC though, so you can set your Music folders to auto upload any music you place in those folders. Keeps all your online albums up to date automatically.

Wow this would've been wonderful a month ago. It took days for it to finish uploading.

markot

Banned
Asus planning R2000 ($225) 7-inch Android tablet for CES 2013
Asus SA details R2000 tablet
Article By: Hadlee Simons
Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:25 PM
Tweet

Taiwanese tech giant Asus has shed more light on its ME-172V Android tablet.

The 7-inch tablet, which Asus aims to sell for R2000 in South Africa, will feature a 1024x600 capacitive display, a company representative informed iafrica.com.

Other specs include a VIA WM8950 processor, Mali 400 graphics chip and 1GB of RAM, while the device is now also set to support Android Jelly Bean.

The new tablet will also feature 8GBs of storage space, a 4270mAh battery as well as a microSD slot for storage expansion.

On the camera side of things, the ME-172V will feature a one-megapixel front-facing camera.

Asus has plenty of experience making budget-minded tablets, with the Asus MeMo 370T being released earlier this year.

The company also teamed up with Google earlier this year for the Nexus 7 range of tablets, retailing for $199.

seems shit >.>?

KZObsessed

Ordered mine yesterday and it arrived today, not bad, tho I'd expect no less for £10 shipping -_-

Box is a bit damaged tho... device seems to be fine. It's a lot smaller than I thought it'd be actually but looks really nice. Technically it's not for me but I might play around with it before wrapping it for Christmas :p

pet peeve time: not being able to click the sleep/power button when the device is laid flat. it's nearly impossible without picking it up. hell of a first world problem, I know, but it seems like a design oversight.

JonnyBrad

Loving this device. I did exchange the one with the chip in it for a nice pristine one, and bonus, I'm back on 4.1.2 :)

Two gripes, though...
1. Kindle app...the minimum font size is TOO BIG. People are complaining about it in the ratings....I hope they are going to fix it and not screw over Android users in favor of supporting the KFHD.

2. Wired app... does not support print subscriptions. The one on my ipad and the KFHD does. BOO.

Just a comment on the Kindle thing. Amazon are like Google in that they wouldn't be deliberately gimp an app to push people onto the fire. They want you using their services, and don't care where you use them. They'll probably fix the kindle problem soon. Tho I don't mind the font size.

JonnyBrad

4.2.1 got pushed to me. They haven't fixed the shit looking lock screen flash to tell you you can add widgets but at least December is back.

fritolay

I just received mine. Has 4.1 installed and I will charge and get updates. Do those who have 4.2.x have you tested multiple logins?

Also I am looking for good education apps for my son. Math, etc. Free is best.

Finally I would like to get the best art or drawing apps out there for this tablet. Thanks.

I just received mine. Has 4.1 installed and I will charge and get updates. Do those who have 4.2.x have you tested multiple logins?

Also I am looking for good education apps for my son. Math, etc. Free is best.

Finally I would like to get the best art or drawing apps out there for this tablet. Thanks.

I was looking for a good coloring app for my 4-year-old. This one's not bad. I think it was $1.99 (weird that i can't see the price since it just says "installed"). No landscape mode is my only gripe. The rest is pretty good.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cogitogames.kidsfingerpaint&hl=en

Speevy

Banned
Mine should arrive Thursday. I also bought that Blurex case someone suggested.

So I know you guys get sick of these questions, but this forum has never steered me wrong.

What's the first thing I should do when I get my tablet?

Keep in mind this is the first one I've ever owned.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Guys, I've just started using the swipe feature and it is amazing but how the hell do I get it to let me swipe a new word?

I can't type "fucking" without typing "ducking". Same with "fuck" and "duck".

I am in deep romantic love with swiping now but can not foresee a day when I will want to call someone a mother ducker so am I missing something somewhere?

just bought a 16gb as a christmas present to my parents. yay!
I've only had mine for like a week. Dude, you have to try swipe. It's a revelation!

I always thought people who bitched about touch keyboards were luddites and that touch keyboards were just fine. Swiping has shown me the promised land. This is truly amazing. It's faster than a hardware keyboard.

The Kindle Fire's Standing Leather Case is fantastic. Minimalist design: the cover doesn't folder or notch into the back or anything. It's just a solid, stiff cover like a book, with a little rubber edge on it so you can use it to stand the thing horizontally.

Anyone know of a similar case for the N7?

Guys, I've just started using the swipe feature and it is amazing but how the hell do I get it to let me swipe a new word?

I am in deep romantic love with swiping now but can not foresee a day when I will want to call someone a mother ducker so am I missing something somewhere?

I've only had mine for like a week. Dude, you have to try swipe. It's a revelation!

I always thought people who bitched about touch keyboards were luddites and that touch keyboards were just fine. Swiping has shown me the promised land. This is truly amazing. It's faster than a hardware keyboard.
I use Go Keyboard, partly because I need one with Japanese support and partly because some of its themes are outright sexy.

Threi

notag

You have to add the word to the dictionary first. Then you can swipe and cuss to your heart's content :)

Top Bottom