• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Aiii

So not worth it
So is there a way to force audio contols in the notification window? I'm using Spotify in my car, but it doesn't have landscape mode and turning my head or the device is not exactly an option.

Going to the homescreen widget from whatever app I'm using while driving is also not ideal, I'd prefer to just be able to pull down the notification screen and press the next track button there.

Pretty sure the answers gonna be it's program specific, but who knows, maybe there's a trick somewhere to get it done.

fritolay

Still on 4.2. How do I force a 4.2.1 update without flashing? I remember you had to clear data for some app or something :S

This did not work for me. However here is what I found...

1. Go to Settings -> Apps -> All

2. Find Google Services Framework.

3. Tap on Force Stop.

4. Select Clear Data.

5. Head back to the Nexus 7′s Settings, go to About, and check for a System Update.

3phemeral

So is there a way to force audio contols in the notification window? I'm using Spotify in my car, but it doesn't have landscape mode and turning my head or the device is not exactly an option.

Going to the homescreen widget from whatever app I'm using while driving is also not ideal, I'd prefer to just be able to pull down the notification screen and press the next track button there.

Pretty sure the answers gonna be it's program specific, but who knows, maybe there's a trick somewhere to get it done.

I don't think so. But you can use Widgetsoid. It allows you to add whatever toggles you want in the notification shade. Not sure if it works for all players, though. I imagine it should.

Hieberrr

3. Tap on Force Stop.

4. Select Clear Data.

5. Head back to the Nexus 7′s Settings, go to About, and check for a System Update.

Merci!
Unfortunately it's not detecting anything.

Sen²

3. Tap on Force Stop.

4. Select Clear Data.

That worked for me, thank you so much! (Edit: On a N4, not N7)

Threi

notag

Use Power toggles.
You can make your own notification toggles, some being media controls.

Xena

Thanks for all the talk on this "OTG" cable! I got one from amazon (T&S Electronics, about $10) and plugged in a PNY 32gb from walmart and it works!!! I'm glad I had not updated my N7 yet.
That being said, is there a way (other than updating the device, of course) to stop that annoying update window popping up?

Did anyone else just get the update for Google Chrome?

Its smoother than it was. I still want full screen mode and easier access to bookmarks, however.

So yeah, Nexus 7 3G finally arrived but guess what? The gyroscope in it is screwed up. Does not rotate properly. Apparently it seems lots of other people have the issue and sent it back for a new one so yeah received and sent back in less than 24hrs =\

CPS2

what's the difference in price between the regular 32GB version (wifi only) and the 3G one in USA? In Aus the 3G version is an extra $100...

I kind of dislike the Kindle app compared to the Google reading app. You can't really make the font size small enough and there's too much wasted screen space for my taste.

Amazon:
c9f10edkzvcvyms58.png

Google:
c9f0z5d2ixgd75la4.png

Google also has a neat page turning animation. Kind of a bummer I can't read my Kindle books with the Google thing.

I kind of dislike the Kindle app compared to the Google reading app. You can't really make the font size small enough and there's too much wasted screen space for my taste.

Amazon:
c9f10edkzvcvyms58.png

Google:
c9f0z5d2ixgd75la4.png

Google also has a neat page turning animation. Kind of a bummer I can't read my Kindle books with the Google thing.
I hate it how Google themselves are so strict on closing apps down for their own "open source" platform.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So I'm thinking of asking for one of these for Christmas. I have an iPhone 4, my girlfriend has the 5 and an iPad, and I'm pretty knowledgeable about all the jailbreaking and customisation and the apps that the Apple products have to offer. I know pretty much nothing about Android at all. I know you can root them, but I don't know what advantages that would have for the N7 (which I imagine would get updates to the OS fairly quickly being a Google product). I have a huge collection of digital comics that I've built up over the years, used to read them all on my PC but now I'm thinking this would be a great way to read them again.

I probably wouldn't use this for music, maybe videos but I tend to listen to podcasts on my iPhone while I'm commuting and watch tv/movies etc on my PS3 when I'm at home. So this would really be mainly for reading comics, browsing and whatever fun stuff Android tablets do that iPhones aren't as good at. Am I going to have a good time with this? I'm totally open to doing more with it, but I just don't really know anything about what's available. It looks great though!

So I'm thinking of asking for one of these for Christmas. I have an iPhone 4, my girlfriend has the 5 and an iPad, and I'm pretty knowledgeable about all the jailbreaking and customisation and the apps that the Apple products have to offer. I know pretty much nothing about Android at all. I know you can root them, but I don't know what advantages that would have for the N7 (which I imagine would get updates to the OS fairly quickly being a Google product). I have a huge collection of digital comics that I've built up over the years, used to read them all on my PC but now I'm thinking this would be a great way to read them again.

I probably wouldn't use this for music, maybe videos but I tend to listen to podcasts on my iPhone while I'm commuting and watch tv/movies etc on my PS3 when I'm at home. So this would really be mainly for reading comics, browsing and whatever fun stuff Android tablets do that iPhones aren't as good at. Am I going to have a good time with this? I'm totally open to doing more with it, but I just don't really know anything about what's available. It looks great though!

Hmmm, it really comes down to what you want to do with it. First off Android is incredibly customisable. Don't like the keyboard? Change it. Don't like the default browser? Change it. Don't like the default lock screen? Change it. Don't like the launcher? Change it. In a way Android is sort of modular. Think of it like designing your living room with furniture, where you can swap out any parts you want for different ones. You still need the key components, but you can swap in different ones if you need. Plus you can do all of this without rooting (The only things you can't change without rooting are the settings menu and the notification bar - stylistically at least). Coming from the more controlled landscape of iOS it might at first be a little overwhelming, but the great thing about Android now is that most of the key components are so good, you won't feel the need to change them at first anyway.

As for watching videos? Dead easy. There are torrent apps for Android where you can download directly to your device. You don't need to worry too much about which codec they use either. You can just download VLC or MX Player from the play store and play pretty much anything you want. Plus you can use Android as a (small) portable hard drive. Just literally drag and drop the content from your PC onto your Android device (it'll appear as an extra drive) and then you can play it, share it etc etc. No messing around with iTunes, no converting file types. There are plenty of browsers which will support flash and browsers can also use Android intents. Click on a twitter link? You can choose to have that open in the browser or your favourite Twitter app. Youtube? similar. I haven't even mentioned homescreens, which you can tailor how you want. No more rows of apps, where all you can do is re-arrange the order or add folders. You can change icons, add widgets...

Basically Android is what you make of it. And the N7 is awesome.

Aiii

So not worth it
Did you actually rip the exact icon as well? Kudos my man, takes some balls to piss off Apple and their lawyers.

+ I love the look of the app, very clean and clear

+ The app is easy to use and intuitive

- You need to update the UI to a holo style, or something which includes the action bar. The old fashioned menu button is a no no.

I know but I don't really want to break compatibility with older devices. You'd be surprised at how many people still use OLD devices lol..or maybe not :)

Did you actually rip the exact icon as well? Kudos my man, takes some balls to piss off Apple and their lawyers.

Nah...not the EXACT icon lol. I was going to make a tablet specific version but argh my nexus 7 I received was messed up so now I have to wait for a new one =\

3. Tap on Force Stop.

4. Select Clear Data.

You have to reboot the device as well after you clear data. Or at least that's what I did to get both the 4.2 and 4.2.1 update on my Galaxy Nexus. The update doesn't always come immediately, it might take 10~20 minutes or so.

pr0cs

I really want to switch to CleanROM, but I hate having to reinstall everything afterward. *grr* Such a pain.

it can be a pain, especially going back from 4.2 but in the end it was worth it to me to get OTG functional again.

I am using SmoothROM and the battery life is seriously sick. 3.5 days use and still 40% left, even better than stock 4.1.

I've been using CleanROM 3.0 and MKernel and I'm absolutely loving it. It felt like a brand new tablet when I first got everything installed again. Even with a Live Wallpaper performance and battery is still pretty good.

womp

it can be a pain, especially going back from 4.2 but in the end it was worth it to me to get OTG functional again.

I am using SmoothROM and the battery life is seriously sick. 3.5 days use and still 40% left, even better than stock 4.1.

SmoothROM all the way for me as well, it smokes anything in 4.2 to be bothered with outside the font improvements. Which kernel did you choose?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Mine arrived today. Looking for some case recommendations before I start putting it to heavy use.

Everyone is gonna tell you to root. I guess I'm not comfortable messing with that. I just bought Nexus media importer and an OTG cable and called it a day .

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So I just got pushed an OTA update. It said 4.2 but I already had 4.2, I installed it anyway.

Is the problem where you shouldn't fill more than 2/3 of a 16gb nexus still a thing?

BFIB

The main reason I root is to have SixAxis support for my PS3 controller.

EDIT: Actually, I just went to play some GTA 3, and apparently the bluetooth stack changed in 4.2. Anyone else having issues getting their controller to work on 4.2.1?

JHall

I'm looking to get my first tablet, I've read good reviews about the Nexus 7. I wondering what is GAF's opinion? Good? Bad? Worth getting?

Mine arrived today. Looking for some case recommendations before I start putting it to heavy use.

I've had this since September and love it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FLYROG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit - Also, if you're inclined to use screen protectors I'd suggest these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LURQ76/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Company was great to work with and sent me free replacements despite it being my own damn fault for ruining the original two protectors.

pr0cs

SmoothROM all the way for me as well, it smokes anything in 4.2 to be bothered with outside the font improvements. Which kernel did you choose?

i don't have the tab with me right now, for some reason 'bricked' sticks in my mind.

I like a lot of things they added in 4.2 but noticed with the initial release the battery life went into the toilet and OTG being removed meant that I was gonna go back to 4.1 and on a custom rom.
So far I haven't missed enough of 4.2 to consider going back yet.

I'm looking to get my first tablet, I've read good reviews about the Nexus 7. I wondering what is GAF's opinion? Good? Bad? Worth getting?

I've owned 2 tablets, a 10" 16gb GTablet and Nexus 7 32gb.
My phone is an android device so it was a natural progression to continue with an android tablet.
Overall I really think the Nexus 7 is a great device. My phone is a SGS3 and in many ways I prefer the Nexus 7, probably because it's an official google device and thus I prefer the stock version of Android. If you like to tinker you cannot go wrong with a nexus device. Developer (outside of google) is exception with all sorts of different ROMs and addons to try, the device is not locked down so it's easy to get into without worrying too much about chopping your feet off (translation: brick your device).

If you don't care much for hacking and squeezing as much out of your device as possible I still like the android OS, all of my personal content is cloud based (translation: gmail, calendar, drive, etc) so owning an android device obviously makes sense.

the 7" form factor is perfect, I like the larger screen on the 10" but it's not as wieldly, a lot heavier. as far as negatives, I'm not sure I can think of a lot of them for the Nexus 7. The screen could be a little brighter and higher res but I'm really nit picking.

Threi

notag
Are the reboots random? Because honestly i've never had a reboot on 4.2.1 or 4.2, and i use the thing constantly.

I'd like to reproduce it to see for myself.

RevDM

Banned
Are the reboots random? Because honestly i've never had a reboot on 4.2.1 or 4.2, and i use the thing constantly.

I'd like to reproduce it to see for myself.

Totally random. Tablet will be asleep on desk and next thing I know I see the glowing X

Top Bottom