• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

mannerbot

I was getting the reboot issues but they seem to have stopped once I uninstalled HD Widgets. Hopefully that gets sorted out soon, I miss those widgets. :(

adroit

I came here to see if I should install the update. Looks like the answer is NO. Thanks, GAF! Sorry to those who took the bullet for me. I hope there is another update soon.

I love how the system update notification is LOCKED in the notification area. It cannot be swiped away. And the update has already been downloaded automatically to the tablet. It's just gonna sit there until there is a newer update.

Phoenix

I have never had an issue with random reboots. This is starting to sound like something related to hardware variants coupled with firmware issues (I run stock on stock).

mannerbot

I have HD widgets installed as well and have had zero reboots....

very strange.

Do you have any lockscreen widgets? I replaced the stock clock lockscreen widget with an HD Widget and I think that might have when the restart issues began for me.

Threi

notag
Do you have any lockscreen widgets? I replaced the stock clock lockscreen widget with an HD Widget and I think that might have when the restart issues began for me.
Yes I have been using HD widgets as a lockscreen since it was avaliable for 4.2. No reboots whatsoever.

adroit

Wow. $50 for a piece of plastic and three connectors (micro USB, 3.5 mm audio jack, and pogo)? Dang. That's 25% of the base tablet price.

Is it possible to remotely control my Google music account from Google a nexus 7 to and android phone?

What I want to do is plug my phone into my stereo and select songs from my Google music account via my tablet and have my phone play it through my stereo.

Is that possible

Does it lock up before it reboots? Because I get that problem every few hours on my Nexus 10.

No, but it totally powered down yesterday and refused to turn on or take a charge. I actually thought the sucker broke for a moment.

Thankfully, holding the power key for 30 seconds or so did the trick.

exYle

I've never done this, but I think that's based on your gmail, so maybe your shipping notification email that you sometimes get needs to be in your gmail account.

Only seems to work in some countries. There is a setting to enable it in google now settings.

I have it enabled and to test it, I even forwarded my shipping confirmation emails to my gmail account. Nada.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So I bought a Nexus 7 yesterday. Loved it. Did the update today because it kept prompting me and it was annoying, and 5 minutes into 4.2.1 I've already had a reboot. Happened when I turned the screen on, with music playing and a download in the background. Disappointing.

Just picked up the 32GB Wifi as an early birthday present for myself.
Maybe I doing it wrong, but why is it such a pain in the ass to unbox and keep the box intact? =|

I finally just sold mine. Even though we had good times, 4.2 was THAT bad; to the point where I had to call google and help me do a factory reset through some boot menu. Also, I just could never enjoy any of the browsers. Chrome felt slow, Firefox has a nasty UI, dolphin crashed a ton on me, and I never really tried boat too much. Honestly, I found that safari on the iPad was just a much more enjoyable experience than the browsers on the nexus 7. Not to mention that the app support for tablets is still pretty lacking. I could only imagine how bad some things look on the 10".

Overall, it's a great tablet, even though my first had to be return because of screen lift, that is marred by some software hiccups that just drove me insane.

IceCold

My friend bought it and I was impressed. Very sleek device. As soon as I typed on it while it was on portrait mode, I realized this was the perfect size for tablets.

bPod

Is the 4.2 update only available to certain android devices? I was able to update the N7 but not my galaxy nexus - still running 4.1

RJM77

Is the 4.2 update only available to certain android devices? I was able to update the N7 but not my galaxy nexus - still running 4.1

You should be on 4.2.1 on your Galaxy Nexus by now, or at least very very soon. I got the update notification on Friday.

Zeth

Swipe typing is neat. Still no acceptable browser experience. I can't bring myself to use the N7 over mobile safari on other devices.

I have it enabled and to test it, I even forwarded my shipping confirmation emails to my gmail account. Nada.

If it works like flights, it may suffice to ask google now to track it one time, then it'll keep it up to date. I am not certain how this works, but I would try typing "track [tracking number]" into google now and see if it doesn't come up with a card for you.

Dazzla

Are there any decent note taking apps with decent handwriting? I'd like to be able to take handwritten notes with a capacitive stylus and then export to either a PDF or to Evernote.

Anything like that on android optimised for the Nexus 7?

I was able to purchase a Transformer Infinity for $300 a few weeks ago. Performance is great, but the battery life is not what I expected. All I use my tablet for is web browsing, watching movies/shows, and reading comics. I've been wanting a Nexus 7 ever since they released, but I haven't been able to handle one to decide if I like 7" tablets better than 10" and I read there are screen defects. Did ASUS fix any of the defects/issues in the 32GB model? I was thinking I could most likely sell my TF700 for $400 on eBay and get the 32GB Nexus 7, but I don't want to regret it later.

adroit

Did ASUS fix any of the defects/issues in the 32GB model?
Buy from a store which will let you exchange a defective tablet for a new one (within a certain number of days of purchase). A few pages back someone bought one with backlight leakage (hot spot on screen). He took it back to his local GameStop and they gave him a new one with a perfect display. Buy from a store that'll let you do that. That's your only assurance of getting a good one.

Buy from a store which will let you exchange a defective tablet for a new one (within a certain number of days of purchase). A few pages back someone bought one with backlight leakage (hot spot on screen). He took it back to his local GameStop and they gave him a new one with a perfect display. Buy from a store that'll let you do that. That's your only assurance of getting a good one.

Buy from Staples. We run a promotion where you can still return anything, open box until mid January without a restocking fee.

Buy from Staples. We run a promotion where you can still return anything, open box until mid January without a restocking fee.
I appreciate the replies. I bought Sanjuro's Nexus 7. After I handle it for a bit, I'll decide what my go to tablet will be: TF700 or N7.

The Staples clerk who sold my Nexus 7 sadly gave me bad information.

The display still featured signage for the $25 Google Play credit. I asked if it was still valid (believing it had expired), and he told me it indeed was and would be credited to my account the first time I logged into the Play Store.

He also went way, way too hard on the protection plan up-sell.

Tell us more about what you want from a tablet. How are you planning on using it?

I want a tablet for reading, having access to all my study related PDF's, microsoft word notes, I a tablet on which I can easily write down notes and then retrieve them later. It would be great if I could write notes on there while reading.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Got my 32gb Nexus 7 today and really liking it. Was worried that it would not be much bigger screen size wise than my gnex. What issues should I look out for in this model? I get getting prompt to update software.. should i ?

I want a tablet for reading, having access to all my study related PDF's, microsoft word notes, I a tablet on which I can easily write down notes and then retrieve them later. It would be great if I could write notes on there while reading.

I would steer you towards the ipad mini for reading. The size and shape of the screen on the nexus 7 make it tough to read PDf's and other documents.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Is there any way to force YouTube to play in SD by default? Sometimes I've got like two instances of Netflix going and other shit going on and YouTube can get a bit choppy.

When I turn off HD it plays a lot better. I don't care too much about the fidelity of YouTube since the videos are, by and large, disposable chunks of lolcat and music vids.

Is there any way to force YouTube to play in SD by default? Sometimes I've got like two instances of Netflix going and other shit going on and YouTube can get a bit choppy.

When I turn off HD it plays a lot better. I don't care too much about the fidelity of YouTube since the videos are, by and large, disposable chunks of lolcat and music vids.
I'd like to know this too. Then worse it it loads the damn ads in HD and it takes me forever to load them.

The Staples clerk who sold my Nexus 7 sadly gave me bad information.

The display still featured signage for the $25 Google Play credit. I asked if it was still valid (believing it had expired), and he told me it indeed was and would be credited to my account the first time I logged into the Play Store.

He also went way, way too hard on the protection plan up-sell.

If you go in and fight it hard enough, you can probably convince one of the managers to give you 25 bucks back. And yeah, we get pushed pretty hard to sell those things.

Top Bottom