• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Lucario

So, I managed to fix some of the worst things about 4.2 for myself:

Random reboots and crashes: UNINSTALL HD WIDGETS. NOW. It has some serious compatibility issues, and I haven't had a reboot since uninstalling it.

Screen flashing, washed out colors, poor brightness management, poor battery life: Install lux. Done. You still might get screen flashing in very specific scenarios, but, for the most part, it fixes everything.

Dolphin crashing randomly: install " browse faster" and " jetpack"

Aiii

So not worth it
Battery life for me was fixed the second I disabled Google Now.

Okay, it doesn't tell me what the weather is every 10 minutes anymore, but at least when I'm not using my tablet it more or less keeps the charge now.

Swipe typing is neat. Still no acceptable browser experience. I can't bring myself to use the N7 over mobile safari on other devices.

Just curious, what's the dissatisfier? I don't see any real difference between mobile browsing experiences on tables except a couple of features in Boat Browser I miss in others.

So, I managed to fix some of the worst things about 4.2 for myself:

Random reboots and crashes: UNINSTALL HD WIDGETS. NOW. It has some serious compatibility issues, and I haven't had a reboot since uninstalling it.

Screen flashing, washed out colors, poor brightness management, poor battery life: Install lux. Done. You still might get screen flashing in very specific scenarios, but, for the most part, it fixes everything.

Dolphin crashing randomly: install " browse faster" and " jetpack"

Washed out colors are just a feature of the N7, they can't be fixed by Lux. Although every other issue is fixed through it, it really does beat the hell out of the built in Brightness manager

If you are using wifi all the time IMO it's best to just use the google music player because you can stream your music without filling up your tablet space with music. That's just me though.
This is amazing. I had no clue you could do this. 9,000 songs may take awhile.

Edit: The total went down to 8,000. Awesome.

I must be extremely lucky, because I've had none of the issues you guys are describing.

I love this thing.

Sames. I've been using mine since I got it on Black Friday, though I did have to echange my first one due to the screen going out in the corners. But yeah, mine is running great even after the updates.

Watching some One Piece right now as I type this at work. My Mom saw it while she was over for the Holiday and now she wants one too. I just bought her a TV... :(

Hauk

Neo Member
Holy shitto, this is the week it lands on these icy shores. Probably at the end of this week I have my first tablet on my hands, warms my geeky heart :D

Though I'm a bit scared about the 4.2 update, should I even download that..

Battery life for me was fixed the second I disabled Google Now.

Okay, it doesn't tell me what the weather is every 10 minutes anymore, but at least when I'm not using my tablet it more or less keeps the charge now.

Just did this. How much extra life did you get from your battery after this?

Speevy

Banned
Question: I have some android games from several sources, like the Humble Bundle for example.

Does Google care whether you got an app as part of a bundle or bought it from them?

RJM77

Ugh.... they still haven't fixed the screen lift problem. Just got my new 32gb today. Right off the bat I notice a white bright spot, most noticeable on white backgrounds. So already I knew I was exchanging this thing. An hour later I notice the entire top of the screen has separated, extreme on the top left and badly on the top right. It has separated so much that I can see the hardware inside. Totally ridiculous.

I got burned badly on the Transformer Prime. No more Asus products for me.

RJM77

Horrible. Are you going to exchange it for a new one?

Dat quality control.

I'll be sending it back for an exchange. If the replacement is defective as well then that will go back and not get replaced.
Just in the hour I used it tonight I realized how much better I like this size compared to a 10" tablet.

Blablurn

Right now i have to decide between a Galaxy tab 2 7.0 and a nexus7. I checked reviews but l cannot decide. Seems like both tablets are on the some level. What do u think, gaf?

Aiii

So not worth it
Right now i have to decide between a Galaxy tab 2 7.0 and a nexus7. I checked reviews but l cannot decide. Seems like both tablets are on the some level. What do u think, gaf?

It's not even a contest, Nexus 7 is better on virtually every level.

GavinGT

Banned
Can you expand on that? For example i would use it mainly for reading pdfs for class and browsing. And watching movies too.

More pixels per inch (implying a higher resolution), better CPU (4 cores vs 2), better GPU, better battery, larger storage options, Nexus device so it gets updates right away and has no manufacturer bloatware.

The Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 may offer slightly better image quality (resolution aside), and the Nexus 7 build quality isn't always great, but I think the Nexus 7 is the clear winner on most every other front. It's still the best deal in tablets, both for price conscious users and power users.

Blablurn

More pixels per inch (implying a higher resolution), better CPU (4 cores vs 2), better GPU, better battery, larger storage options, Nexus device so it gets updates right away and has no manufacturer bloatware.

The Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 may offer slightly better image quality (resolution aside), and the Nexus 7 build quality isn't always great, but I think the Nexus 7 is the clear winner on most every other front. It's still the best deal in tablets, both for price conscious users and power users.
Thanks man, guess nexus wins.

loving mine (got it for birthday just over 2 weeks ago)

Havn't had any issues that I see on here. However I'm not rooted or anything so I'm not sure if that helps?

Didn't bother activating google now and deactivated one thing (cant remember what it was) that solved a couple of performance niggles I had. I was some program that works in the background I had no interest in using.

I think the screen is really nice to use. Great resolution and colours are nice. The interface runs very smooth. and google chrome is great apart from sometimes loading websites slow but this only tends to happen when I'm in bed and further from the router.

Basically use mine for web, netflix, photo viewing / editing (a bit anyway, on holiday will be when I do this so I don't take the laptop) and a bit of gaming. Tried reading kindle books at work but the over head lighting here makes it not a great experience so have gone back to my kindle for that. Will save the kindle app on this for if I need to read with lights off.

Game on it a bit as well. I love the fact I can plug in an xbox controller for stuff like shadowgun: dead zone and dead trigger. Also use a mouse for when I'm using splashtop 2 to control my PC's. Playing touchlight 2 on this that way was pretty interesting if not totally practical.

Nexus media importer is also pretty awesome. Bought a 64gb flash stick that I stuck my TV and Film stuff on so I can view it when away without using any of the nexus 7's HD space.

My wife seemed to like it as well. She is currently on an iPad 1 and will possible replace it with the 16gb model of this. Im finding it really versatile. bought the double twist app that allows me to stream content to my apple tv boxes as well. Thats a nice plus to have incase I want to take a move to a friends house or something.

Looking forward to boulders gate coming out on it to.

The tab 2 has better storage options. It comes in 8, 16 and 32gb variants and it has a microsd slot. It also has 3G support which you won't get unless you get the 32gb Nexus 7.

I'd still recommend the N7 over the tab 2 though (and in fact I ordered an N7 for myself even though I have a tab 2) but, at least at the 16gb level, the tab 2 does have a couple of advantages over the N7.

Wow guys, seriously? Notifications interrupt music playback? Any way to change this behavior? I guess I haven't used an android device much for music before this... it's very annoying.

buhdeh

Wow guys, seriously? Notifications interrupt music playback? Any way to change this behavior? I guess I haven't used an android device much for music before this... it's very annoying.

I think it depends on the app... but yeah, it's one of the annoyances you notice when coming from iOS. I know BeyondPod has an option to pause or not pause on notifications during playback.

DagsJT

Since the latest Android update, my N7 decides it wants to power down sometimes before even getting to 14%, sometimes it gets to 5%. This didn't happen before the update, might have to try SmoothRom.

Since the latest Android update, my N7 decides it wants to power down sometimes before even getting to 14%, sometimes it gets to 5%. This didn't happen before the update, might have to try SmoothRom.

My N7 did a hard reset at 5% shortly after the update.

It refused to charge or turn on; I had to hold the power button for 45 seconds before it would reboot. It was terrifying.

I just received my Portenzo case. Well worth the extra money; it's very nice.

8252943445_d0cbb88c56_c.jpg

8252943163_f55bd89bbf_c.jpg

mannerbot

So my Poetic Slimline case has started to fall apart. Any suggestions on a new one w/ smartcover? I guess I'll see if this is covered by the 3 year warranty now that I see that the Poetic case has one.

Speevy

Banned
I got my OTG cable today.

I was told this wasn't supposed to work with the newest firmware, but it reads everything just fine.

Viewed photos, videos, used a wireless mouse, no problem at all.

Cigol

I suppose it makes sense for bigger tablets but why not use the mobiles version of chrome for nexus 7. Find it's much more bearable in terms of browsing multiple pages and not taking up screen real estate with tabs. There's also a lot of swishy animations I've noticed on the nexus 4, not just on chrome, which would look good on it too.

Got my Nexus 7 from Sanjuro. It's easy to read comics and books, but comics are easier to read on my Transformer Infinity. Watching movies/videos looks great and sounds fine. Browsing in Chrome is quick and responsive. The device just feels so right in my hands. It feels like THE perfect size tablet. I'm leaning toward selling my Transformer Infinity, but I just feel I might regret it. I would definitely miss 64gb of storage and its' gorgeous screen. 10" does feel a bit big, though. I really am blown away by the N7. Wish I could keep both, but that would just lead to me using one tablet exclusively. I'll just have to keep using my N7 and decide in a few days.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle

I was told this wasn't supposed to work with the newest firmware, but it reads everything just fine.

I'd completely forgotten that. That may explain why the ps3 controller I bought doesn't work.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just had a play around with this in a shop today, looks great. One question though - is it possible to add your own books to the "My Library" thing? Or is that just for stuff bought from the Google Play shop? I have a Kindle already so I've got a lot of ebooks I'd like to be able to transfer over.

Just had a play around with this in a shop today, looks great. One question though - is it possible to add your own books to the "My Library" thing? Or is that just for stuff bought from the Google Play shop? I have a Kindle already so I've got a lot of ebooks I'd like to be able to transfer over.

Theres a kindle app for you :)

Speevy

Banned
Charging question:

The first few days I had it, I charged it while it was on with no problems.

When I turn it off, it charges just fine. However, I think I've altered some settings which makes it charge less effectively when it's on.

Any ideas?

LuchaShaq

Banned

Shit I just ordered one to try and use my 360 controller (wired) for stuff like dead trigger :/

Top Bottom