• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

bonesquad

Got my Nexus 7 from Sanjuro. It's easy to read comics and books, but comics are easier to read on my Transformer Infinity. Watching movies/videos looks great and sounds fine. Browsing in Chrome is quick and responsive. The device just feels so right in my hands. It feels like THE perfect size tablet. I'm leaning toward selling my Transformer Infinity, but I just feel I might regret it. I would definitely miss 64gb of storage and its' gorgeous screen. 10" does feel a bit big, though. I really am blown away by the N7. Wish I could keep both, but that would just lead to me using one tablet exclusively. I'll just have to keep using my N7 and decide in a few days.

Out of curiosity, what do you use with the 64 GB of space? Music and video? Games? Other? I remember some saying 8 was enough (which is crazy of course:)

Speevy

Banned
Shit I just ordered one to try and use my 360 controller (wired) for stuff like dead trigger :/

Well, the 360 controller is a driver-based controller, so I think you might need a rooted system for that.

Plug and play controllers should work fine, though.

Zeth

8gb has ended up being more than enough for me. I still haven't used many apps beside browsers. I need to find some new stuff to do with my N7.

Speevy

Banned
8gb has ended up being more than enough for me. I still haven't used many apps beside browsers. I need to find some new stuff to do with my N7.

Try productivity apps. Storing and accessing my Office documents has been the best thing I've found. Also the ability to make flash cards and read books.

Just had a play around with this in a shop today, looks great. One question though - is it possible to add your own books to the "My Library" thing? Or is that just for stuff bought from the Google Play shop? I have a Kindle already so I've got a lot of ebooks I'd like to be able to transfer over.

Just download the Kindle app from the Play Store and sign into your Amazon account. All of your books will be there (you can even shop Amazon's selection).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Theres a kindle app for you :)

Just download the Kindle app from the Play Store and sign into your Amazon account. All of your books will be there (you can even shop Amazon's selection).

Yeah I know there's a kindle app, I just wondered if I could get my books into that library one. I like how the books are displayed on the homescreen and within the app. I take it there's no way to do it then?

Yeah I know there's a kindle app, I just wondered if I could get my books into that library one. I like how the books are displayed on the homescreen and within the app. I take it there's no way to do it then?

No, sadly not. I much prefer the Google app over Kindle, too.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I was on the fence about keeping this device and going with the 10 but after some thought I will keep it. Really like the form factor and enjoy how easy it is to carry around in my backpack. What cool awesome things can I do with this device. I am really interested in running emulators on this to play games. Is there a thread or anywhere I can be directed that show what controllers can be used and emulators?

Out of curiosity, what do you use with the 64 GB of space? Music and video? Games? Other? I remember some saying 8 was enough (which is crazy of course:)
I put all my comics/books on it which is around 15gb. All my movies/TV shows are 15-20gb. All my apps/games take up about 5gb. I put some music on it which can be 10gb or so (although now I wouldn't because I found out you can upload your collection and stream it via Google music). So really 64gb is overkill. I guess I treat it as a place to keep my whole collection of media to show off and adore instead of just putting a little on it, consuming it, and repeat. I think I'll be just fine with my 16gb Nexus 7. Instead of putting comics or TV shows that I won't watch for weeks or months, I'll just put stuff on there that I'll consume over a few days.

bonesquad

I put all my comics/books on it which is around 15gb. All my movies/TV shows are 15-20gb. All my apps/games take up about 5gb. I put some music on it which can be 10gb or so (although now I wouldn't because I found out you can upload your collection and stream it via Google music). So really 64gb is overkill. I guess I treat it as a place to keep my whole collection of media to show off and adore instead of just putting a little on it, consuming it, and repeat. I think I'll be just fine with my 16gb Nexus 7. Instead of putting comics or TV shows that I won't watch for weeks or months, I'll just put stuff on there that I'll consume over a few days.

Makes sense. 16 GB seems fine to me with a little data management (which isn't time consuming). I don't keep any music on it... I did get a 64 GB iPhone 5 because I do keep a bunch of music there and I figured because I take it with me everywhere. In retrospect, that was overkill:) I would be fine with 32 GB in that case, again with minimal data management.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Can you only use the Google Books app for books downloaded from the Play store? Or can use it as a book reader for .epub and/or .mobi as well?

Hieberrr

Are there any ebook apps like Google Books with the page animations and whatnot? I have a bunch of epubs that I want to import.

Makes sense. 16 GB seems fine to me with a little data management (which isn't time consuming). I don't keep any music on it... I did get a 64 GB iPhone 5 because I do keep a bunch of music there and I figured because I take it with me everywhere. In retrospect, that was overkill:) I would be fine with 32 GB in that case, again with minimal data management.
I had a 120GB Zune and that was also major overkill. I only used about 30gb or so.

I'm surprised how fast data transfers to the Nexus 7. Can I plug in the cord to a USB 3.0 slot to speed up an already fast process?

ektoll

Can you only use the Google Books app for books downloaded from the Play store? Or can use it as a book reader for .epub and/or .mobi as well?

Sadly, only for books downloaded from the Play Store. I really hope Google will change this situation, even in Apple's iBook you can import your ePubs!

Are there any ebook apps like Google Books with the page animations and whatnot? I have a bunch of epubs that I want to import.

There are a lot, Kindle's app, the Kobo one (I don't think there's a page animation in this one), Moon Reader, Aldiko...
Follow some reviews about these apps or try them (most of them are free) to see for yourself. ;)

Yeah, I'm looking for a cool widget that can display all of my books in a nice way, like the Play Library widget. I haven't found a good Kindle one, and ultimately I'd like to be able to choose which books and things get displayed (from both Play and Kindle).

Does it exist?

NysGAF

Can you use something like Groove IP with the HSPA+ version of the N7 and basically turn it into a cell phone, even when not in wireless range? Anyone have experience with this? I so rarely use the phone part of my iPhone, I would consider dropping that for an N7 with data.

Hieberrr

Sadly, only for books downloaded from the Play Store. I really hope Google will change this situation, even in Apple's iBook you can import your ePubs!

There are a lot, Kindle's app, the Kobo one (I don't think there's a page animation in this one), Moon Reader, Aldiko...
Follow some reviews about these apps or try them (most of them are free) to see for yourself. ;)

Non of them have such the sexy page animations :( Damn it Google!

Replicant

Do I need to buy the 3G version if I want to connect to my iPhone 3G connection? I've heard people saying that I can just tethered Nexus 7 into my iPhone's connection using Bluetooth. Is this true? In that case, what's the advantage of buying the 3G version as opposed to the Wi-fi only version?

Do I need to buy the 3G version if I want to connect to my iPhone 3G connection? I've heard people saying that I can just tethered Nexus 7 into my iPhone's connection using Bluetooth. Is this true? In that case, what's the advantage of buying the 3G version as opposed to the Wi-fi only version?
The 3G version has a SIM slot so you can use a SIM card with a data plan on it. No need to tether....

adroit

Is the cover of the Portenzo case designed to be folded back around (360 degrees) or only opened like a book (180 degrees)?

Torraz

I'm looking for a decent video app that can take care of avi / mkv with integrated subtitles.

I have tried:

moboplayer: didn't work
mvideoplayer: didn't display subs
rockplayer 1 lite: didn't display subs
rockplayer 2: didn't work

I have had success with:
VLC beta: works sorta well with avi. Plays well, but doesn't permit scrolling. MKVs are very slightly lagged.
vPlayer: avi is very lagged. MKV works like a charm though. Scrolling works well, subs are shown etc.

Any way to get vPlayer to properly play avi files or is there another player I should try? Currently doing a VLC for avi and vPlayer for mkv (+ subs) route.

littlerat

I'm looking for a decent video app that can take care of avi / mkv with integrated subtitles.

I've been using MX Player for a while and it has proven to be quite excellent at handling those kinds of videos. It even does 10bit, though with a few hiccups.

Chris R

Do we have any idea when a newer revision of the Nexus 7 would be coming out? Considering pitching in to buy one of these for my mother but would hate for her to get stuck with older hardware only for Google to come out with a newer model in February or something.

BFIB

Do we have any idea when a newer revision of the Nexus 7 would be coming out? Considering pitching in to buy one of these for my mother but would hate for her to get stuck with older hardware only for Google to come out with a newer model in February or something.

Odds are you'll be good for a while. Its a great tablet, well worth the price.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Would your mother notice? Is she techy enough to care?

Chris R

Would your mother notice? Is she techy enough to care?

I'd notice and I'm techy enough to care (and being the primary tech support person in her life I'd be the one fixing any issues that came up with it).

Also noticed that on the play store page it states that the devices is only running 4.1 and isn't shipping with 4.2?

VoxPop

Okay so since I updated to 4.2 / 4.2.1, I don't really ever use the device anymore but even without use the battery completely dies while its asleep. Never used to happen with 4.1. Is there a known issue?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Okay so since I updated to 4.2 / 4.2.1, I don't really ever use the device anymore but even without use the battery completely dies while its asleep. Never used to happen with 4.1. Is there a known issue?

this happens to me too. I heard a rumor that Currents was to blame?

Speevy

Banned
Another question that just popped into my head.

Is there an app that would allow me to access the contents of my computer from the home screen?

I can currently do that with media servers. I was just wondering if there was such a program.

Another question that just popped into my head.

Is there an app that would allow me to access the contents of my computer from the home screen?

I can currently do that with media servers. I was just wondering if there was such a program.

Logmein or Teamviewer perhaps? There are a bunch of remote desktop apps for Android if that's what you're looking for.

e_i

I have tried:

I have had success with:
VLC beta: works sorta well with avi. Plays well, but doesn't permit scrolling. MKVs are very slightly lagged.
vPlayer: avi is very lagged. MKV works like a charm though. Scrolling works well, subs are shown etc.

Any way to get vPlayer to properly play avi files or is there another player I should try? Currently doing a VLC for avi and vPlayer for mkv (+ subs) route.

Diceplayer works pretty well for MKVs. MXPlayer for MKVs and AVIs. I use both because they both seem to work when the other doesn't.

Speevy

Banned
Logmein or Teamviewer perhaps? There are a bunch of remote desktop apps for Android if that's what you're looking for.

Perhaps.

I can already do it. I just want to be able to do it the moment I turn on my device (read the contents of my hard drive on the other computer).

Thank you for the answer.

la_briola

I have tried:

I have had success with:

DicePlayer

You can even use ffmpeg with DicePlayer. Extract the *.zip and move libffmpeg.so to the root of the internal storage, then enable it in DicePlayer.

I put my TF700 up on eBay and I am loving my Nexus 7. I can't put it down.

NfRNY.jpg
I love my homescreen, too!

I saw that lux was recommended earlier in the thread -- it seems the free version isn't available for the Nexus 7? Is that normal or just temporary weirdness in the Play store?

Top Bottom