• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

So a few weeks back I mentioned that my tablet bricked. I ended up calling Asus customer service, and after trying about five different techniques we brought my tablet back to life.

Now it's bricked again, and I'm wondering if it's worth having to keep doing this or just request a new tablet. :\

So a few weeks back I mentioned that my tablet bricked. I ended up calling Asus customer service, and after trying about five different techniques we brought my tablet back to life.

Now it's bricked again, and I'm wondering if it's worth having to keep doing this or just request a new tablet. :\

Just ask for a new one. They should oblige considering the hoops you've had to go through already.

Now it's bricked again, and I'm wondering if it's worth having to keep doing this or just request a new tablet. :
If it's bricking from normal usage and not you trying out custom roms, you should definitely request a replacement because it sounds like the flashrom is defective.

gcubed

so, i may actually finally get one. Hows the QC on the 32gb version? Any difference between in store or play store? (i'd rather get it where i can return it easily if there are issues).

RJM77

so, i may actually finally get one. Hows the QC on the 32gb version? Any difference between in store or play store? (i'd rather get it where i can return it easily if there are issues).

I bought a 32gb from an online retailer because they were having a black Friday sale and no sales tax. I had to return it to the store for an exchange (1/4" dia. white spot on screen plus the entire top of the screen separated from the body), which is obviously a pita dealing with shipping, etc. Experiences may vary, but if I had to do it all over again I would have just bought it from a local retailer just to avoid all the headaches with online returns.
So in my experience, QC has not gotten any better.

gcubed

thanks, also, trying to cast a wider net for a use case. I'll be mainly using it for books (reference books mostly, for dealing with training materials and study guides), is the form factor ok for it? I really don't want to outlay the money for a mini considering i have 0 investment in that ecosystem.. and if a much better nexus 7 comes out in 6 months, its easier to swallow the 199

thanks, also, trying to cast a wider net for a use case. I'll be mainly using it for books (reference books mostly, for dealing with training materials and study guides), is the form factor ok for it? I really don't want to outlay the money for a mini considering i have 0 investment in that ecosystem.. and if a much better nexus 7 comes out in 6 months, its easier to swallow the 199

IMO 7" is the perfect size for reading books.

adroit

It doesn't help for stuff like comics/manga, but turning whatever ebook reader you may use to night mode (white text on a black bg) helps tremendously with the eye strain.
Agree 100% with this. I use white text on black background with brightness on minimum. Anything else on the N7 is ocular homicide. :)

CMDBob

Got me a Nexus 7 this Sunday, and it's so good. I'm not too sure whether to root it though, I mean, spose it could be worth it, have movies and stuff on my external HD instead of the internal memory, and some other stuff. I dunno.

ektoll

Got me a Nexus 7 this Sunday, and it's so good. I'm not too sure whether to root it though, I mean, spose it could be worth it, have movies and stuff on my external HD instead of the internal memory, and some other stuff. I dunno.

Also you can block ads and install anti-theft security. Worth it and easy.

CMDBob

Also you can block ads and install anti-theft security. Worth it and easy.

Well, got all my apps and data all backed up, here goes nothing!

Edit: Welp, all unlocked, just going to root it now. Do I have to have a custom recovery image on it, or can I stick with the stock one? (kinda new to rooting, heh, always left my other devices as stock) Or might it be worth it to have that TWRP recovery on. I still want to be able to recieve OTA updates, you see.

gcubed

Well it doesn't match up to e-ink if that's what you're talking about. Still, I doubt the guy will be doing most of his research in bed at night though :p

Yea. I have a kindle for reading real books. This is for commuting, work and as reference near a computer

ektoll

Well, got all my apps and data all backed up, here goes nothing!

Edit: Welp, all unlocked, just going to root it now. Do I have to have a custom recovery image on it, or can I stick with the stock one? (kinda new to rooting, heh, always left my other devices as stock) Or might it be worth it to have that TWRP recovery on. I still want to be able to recieve OTA updates, you see.

I'm rooted and I have the Stock Android on it. ;)

tw1164

I was thinking of getting this for x-mas. I have two quick questions.

Can you download the maps for offline use?

Is the WiFi + Mobile data tablet tied to AT&T or can I use any GSM provider?

You can download sections of maps that you highlight yourself - I don't think it will download a complete country or anything like that.

Not sure about second question - but don't see why you couldn't buy sim free from google directly.

I was thinking of getting this for x-mas. I have two quick questions.

Can you download the maps for offline use?

Is the WiFi + Mobile data tablet tied to AT&T or can I use any GSM provider?

there are 3rd party apps such as NavFree and MapDroyd that have downloadable maps that work offline.

BFIB

I'm finally able to play around with my Nexus 7. What are the implicit benefits of rooting and will it void the warranty?

Your main benefits is more user control, and custom options with launchers, etc.

As far as the warranty goes, just install Titanium Backup. If you ever need to exchange your 7, just back up, unroot, then reinstall when you get your replacement.

Hieberrr

My Nexus 7 isn't syncing my calendar anymore. Does anyone know how to fix this? I already checked my account setting and everything that needs to be checked is checked.

Ugh... it's been happening for days now.

DIT: Fixed by clearing app's data.

Speevy

Banned
I was playing around with various volume programs and I seem to have lost my way.

What's a safe volume to keep the media/games on?

Hieberrr

I was playing around with various volume programs and I seem to have lost my way.

What's a safe volume to keep the media/games on?

Using the tablet speakers? I usually have it on the second to last lowest one. I actually find all of the notifications and game sfx to be really annoying and loud.

andycapps

What's the situation for external game controllers for the Nexus 7? Hoping to get one for Christmas and was wondering if I could just pair a Dualshock or something to it, or if you have to use a certain USB controller type.

fritolay

How do I get Amazon video working with Android 4.2? I downloaed a flash.apk file and am trying to get flash to work in dolphin using desktop mode. It still is prompting me to install flash.

hemtae

How do I get Amazon video working with Android 4.2? I downloaed a flash.apk file and am trying to get flash to work in dolphin using desktop mode. It still is prompting me to install flash.
It works for me with theFirefox beta and AOSP browser.

This is a huge thread and I apologize if this has been asked but does anyone what kind of parental controls this thing has? Are there any good parental control apps? I have a buddy who wants to get one and wants to let his son use but he doesn't want him running off half cocked buying stuff etc etc. He's got an iPad for and apparently that has pretty good parental controls.

Thanks

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
This is a huge thread and I apologize if this has been asked but does anyone what kind of parental controls this thing has? Are there any good parental control apps? I have a buddy who wants to get one and wants to let his son use but he doesn't want him running off half cocked buying stuff etc etc. He's got an iPad for and apparently that has pretty good parental controls.

Thanks

My kids like to play "Top Girl" when they visit and I didn't want them buying iAP so in settings I made it require a PIN to purchase anything.

No worries now.

My kids like to play "Top Girl" when they visit and I didn't want them buying iAP so in settings I made it require a PIN to purchase anything.

No worries now.
Thanks for the reply. Actually I've wondered the same thing, my kids are increasingly drawn to our Xoom.
You can do that in the Google Play store?

Edit: Found it. Thanks again

Top Bottom