• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

JonnyBrad

Is it just me or are notification drawer animations still sluggish?

Its got a bit more jerky since the 4.2 update. Project butter is certainly not 100% locking things at 60fps. They will get there eventually but its still not particularly smooth. If you have a lot of apps background updating this can tend to cause lag as well.

Hmm. Something must be wrong with my 16GB. Streaming playback 9-10 hours seem right, but I'll be lucky to last 120 hours on standby.

i'm guessing the standby time must mean on a factory reset clean unit that has been powered on for the first time and has no accounts associated and doesn't sync anything

Watevaman

The more I look into the Nexus 7, the more it interests me, but I'm too conflicted right now in determining what I want in a portable device. I've been really interested in getting a Surface Pro, but the N7 and the reviews are making it sound really good. I know the Surface Pro is a fully fleshed out ultraportable laptop type device and the Nexus is a tablet, but they each have their features and I'm wondering if I would just be better off using my laptop for computing stuff and just buying an N7 for stuff on the go, like web browsing, watching videos, reading.

If I end up getting a Nexus, would it be smart to get one around now? Is there a newer version coming up within a month or two I would regret not waiting for?

la_briola

kqZHo.png
SmoothRom with Franco kernel

Yea project butter has a ways to go. Mine has been locking up hear and there. Like having a PC with really low ram. Could it be the under 6 gig thing? I haven't tried a factory reset cause I don't don't want to have to redownload everything.

Rad-

I somehow ended up buying this thing. 250€ for the 32gb one sounded too good. Just downloaded ff3 and some app that enables YouTube playback in the background. Any must have apps?

My first impressions: surprisingly awesome. I'm not a huge fan of writing with a touchscreen but i guess i get used to this. That's really my only complaint so far, too easy to hit a wrong letter.

la_briola

Any anime watchers know if this can play 10-bit mkv's without stuttering?

I'll try to convert a video from 8 to 10 bit and test it for you.

edit: I tested 1080p@10bit with DTS audio. It kinda works...

MX Player with H/W decoder for 10bit works, but the video was choppy... so 720p COULD work!
The audio (DTS) however did not work at all/is not supported.

Hope this helps.

Kareha

MX Player with H/W decoder for 10bit works, but the video was choppy... so 720p COULD work!

Hope this helps.

Cheers for doing this was very helpful :)

ro.ril.disable.power.collapse=0
pm.sleep_mode=1

I typed those two pieces of code into my build.prop on my TF700 to save battery. Will this help if I do this on my Nexus 7?

la_briola

Hope this helps.

Cheers for doing this was very helpful :)

Fuck. I used S/W decoding. It runs PERFECTLY with H/W decoding. 1080p frame perfect.
The only thing which did not work was DTS audio.

edit: Another fun fact: DicePlayer with libffmpeg.so plugin works great with DTS audio, but only uses S/W decoding for the video -> choppy.

I need video from MX and audio from Dice and it would be perfect. :lol

hoverX

I'm really considering getting one of these. I have an iPad 3 and an iPhone but I'm taking a course on Android development in a few month and I don't have anything to debug on.

Is there anything newer/better coming down the pipe?

Phoenix

The more I look into the Nexus 7, the more it interests me, but I'm too conflicted right now in determining what I want in a portable device. I've been really interested in getting a Surface Pro, but the N7 and the reviews are making it sound really good. I know the Surface Pro is a fully fleshed out ultraportable laptop type device and the Nexus is a tablet, but they each have their features and I'm wondering if I would just be better off using my laptop for computing stuff and just buying an N7 for stuff on the go, like web browsing, watching videos, reading.

If I end up getting a Nexus, would it be smart to get one around now? Is there a newer version coming up within a month or two I would regret not waiting for?

April/May will see some sort of bump.

Phoenix

I'm really considering getting one of these. I have an iPad 3 and an iPhone but I'm taking a course on Android development in a few month and I don't have anything to debug on.

Is there anything newer/better coming down the pipe?

The Nexus7 or hell even the older Samsung Nexus would be fine for you. In fact I'd say any competent development team would want a nexus phone and nexus 7.

hoverX

A coworker bought a surface and brought it in the other day. I couldn't find one redeeming feature. It truly is the worst of both (tablet/laptop) worlds.

MrHicks

Banned
dumb question

buying a nexus 7 on ebay from the US or UK does that work in mainland europe?
the wifi and shit?

or does the US have different "wifi specs" or any of that technical shit

hodgy100

getting the 32gb version of this for christmas. its my first tablet byut not my first android device, i think im just going to migrate most of my android games onto it and only have my favorites on my one x to save space.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
dumb question

buying a nexus 7 on ebay from the US or UK does that work in mainland europe?
the wifi and shit?

or does the US have different "wifi specs" or any of that technical shit
Understand that I'm not an IT pro, but I'm pretty sure that Wi-Fi standards are industry standards and you should be OK pretty much the world over.
Hopefully someone will speak up with more certainty, but I'm fairly confident.

Kareha

Fuck. I used S/W decoding. It runs PERFECTLY with H/W decoding. 1080p frame perfect.
The only thing which did not work was DTS audio.

edit: Another fun fact: DicePlayer with libffmpeg.so plugin works great with DTS audio, but only uses S/W decoding for the video -> choppy.

I need video from MX and audio from Dice and it would be perfect. :lol

Awesome, looks like I'll be getting a Nexus 7 :)

DagsJT

Hmm, I've not heard of "Forever Gone" before, I'll have to give this a try. And it definitely takes away the lag when getting below 5GB or so? The low-space lag is a major annoyance for me but this app could be amazing if it stops lag.

The n7 wasn't running TRIM on 4.1. Thus deleted files were effectively taking up space. It's now been fixed but using forever gone gets rid of all the garbage.

So the lag is supposedly fixed in 4.21 anyway?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The stuff you deleted before 4.2 might still be clogging your system.

Forever gone seems to have worked for me, seeing that my N7 seems to be much smoother now. There was a period where it seemed to have bricked my machine, but it came out fine in the end. Be careful though.

DagsJT

The stuff you deleted before 4.2 might still be clogging your system.

Forever gone seems to have worked for me, seeing that my N7 seems to be much smoother now, but there was a period where it seemed to have bricked my machine, but it came out fine in the end. Be careful though.

To be honest, I've filled my N7 up a few times. And ran multiple ROM's etc so I'd imagine there's all kinds of crap that's supposedly cleared. I'll give it a go tonight.

So what settings is everyone using for GTA Vice City? It runs choppy on my 7 and I'm essentially running at max. It shouldn't have a problem running it though, should it? I mean I'm running Faux123 kernel and EOS 4. I have no issues with other games, even N64 ones.

So what settings is everyone using for GTA Vice City? It runs choppy on my 7 and I'm essentially running at max. It shouldn't have a problem running it though, should it? I mean I'm running Faux123 kernel and EOS 4. I have no issues with other games, even N64 ones.

I have only played it a bit but I put everything on max and it runs fine. odd frame rate drop here and there but pretty smooth for the most part.

I have the 32gig model with at least half the space free still I think. Also try to not have much running in the back ground.

JonnyBrad

Hmm, I've not heard of "Forever Gone" before, I'll have to give this a try. And it definitely takes away the lag when getting below 5GB or so? The low-space lag is a major annoyance for me but this app could be amazing if it stops lag.

So the lag is supposedly fixed in 4.21 anyway?

I think you would still want to run forever gone. As I don't think the update removes all the undeleted files. It just stops it from happening again.

4.2 has brought in lag from elsewhere. It seems like a rushed update.

Just picked up a Nexus 7. So cheap. Enjoying it so far. My music and books are on the Amazon cloud--but it's very easy to get that all up and running. In general I think ecosystems do matter, but nowadays you can access different content providers easily from different devices, so it becomes less of a factor in the purchase decision.

I've tried to figure out whether Diceplayer supports .sub extension subtitles, but it doesn't seem to work. Does any other Android videoplayer support that extension?

SpecX

Decided on this instead of the ipad mini for my wife. Couldn't pass on the price and storage size and I got some hands on with the mini and didn't like it all that much. I still need to get some hands on with this, but no store around has them out for display. I checked both Best Buy and Target and they only display the Nexus 10 and ipad lineup. Anyone know what stores typically have them out or should I just keep checking around till I find one.

Top Bottom