• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Decided on this instead of the ipad mini for my wife. Couldn't pass on the price and storage size and I got some hands on with the mini and didn't like it all that much. I still need to get some hands on with this, but no store around has them out for display. I checked both Best Buy and Target and they only display the Nexus 10 and ipad lineup. Anyone know what stores typically have them out or should I just keep checking around till I find one.

Check Staples.

Some Walmarts do this as well. Before I was interested in it, I know one of the stores closest to me had the 7 on display and you could fool around with it.

SpecX

I didn't even think about Staples and they're right down the street from Best Buy. Thanks for the heads up, i'll swing by probably tomorrow or Wednesday to see if they have any out.

Just got mine. Damn this thing is so snappy. Much faster and smoother than any Android device I've used till date.

It came with 4.1 out of the box, then OTA updated to 4.1.1 and it's now downloading 4.1.2. Should I let it go through all the way to 4.2.1 or not? Have the issues with 4.2 been resolved?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
After not being able to get this for Christmas I think I might wait and end up getting it at the end of April for my birthday instead. Do Android tablets get spec bumps like iPads or do they just release new models?

hwalker84

The reason my wife moved away from Android is rearing its ugly head again. She cannot contain herself from installing everything thats pink. Themes, keyboards, launchers, etc. 1 hour after i handed it to her it looked like a totally different device. I told her I estimate 3 months until we have to reset it to factory. Then some app she was showing me crashed right in front of us several times. I said I take that back "1 week".

Fantasmo

If I forget to put the Nexus 7 on a charger, in the morning I'm at 20% or less battery. When I go into settings, battery, I see Android System at 65%.

Any ideas on how I can reduce that number?
Wasn't like this before 4.2. Currently at 4.2.1. Both are bad. Id rather not downgrade the OS if possible.

gcubed

anyone here have the dodo case? How is it? I'm looking for something not too bulky but something i'm not scared to toss into my backpack

hemtae

If I forget to put the Nexus 7 on a charger, in the morning I'm at 20% or less battery. When I go into settings, battery, I see Android System at 65%.

Any ideas on how I can reduce that number?
Wasn't like this before 4.2. Currently at 4.2.1. Both are bad. Id rather not downgrade the OS if possible.

Some people were saying earlier that it might have something to do with Currents but I don't know for sure.

Hunter S.

Decided on this instead of the ipad mini for my wife. Couldn't pass on the price and storage size and I got some hands on with the mini and didn't like it all that much. I still need to get some hands on with this, but no store around has them out for display. I checked both Best Buy and Target and they only display the Nexus 10 and ipad lineup. Anyone know what stores typically have them out or should I just keep checking around till I find one.

Buy it from Google themselves online. When I bought mine in the summer they also gave me $20 worth of currency for Google play.

Danj

It was only when i saw "Google Play Magazines" in the app updates list last night that i realised this thing has a magazine store.

Edge only 3 quid?? Sold!
Ah, Focus too, i used to love that mag. So many free trials.
This thing, and other tablets, could really be the savior of the magazine industry, with these prices and the ease of subscription.

I doubt that's 3 quid for a subscription, unless they've managed to work some super awesome deals.

Danj

The reason my wife moved away from Android is rearing its ugly head again. She cannot contain herself from installing everything thats pink. Themes, keyboards, launchers, etc. 1 hour after i handed it to her it looked like a totally different device. I told her I estimate 3 months until we have to reset it to factory. Then some app she was showing me crashed right in front of us several times. I said I take that back "1 week".

Maybe she should get a Windows Phone, one of the segments of the advert for that is about how you can turn all the tiles pink, so pinkness is a (presumably non-crashy) built-in feature.

Cipherr

Just got mine. Damn this thing is so snappy. Much faster and smoother than any Android device I've used till date.

It came with 4.1 out of the box, then OTA updated to 4.1.1 and it's now downloading 4.1.2. Should I let it go through all the way to 4.2.1 or not? Have the issues with 4.2 been resolved?

Keep it where it is if you are happy. The next major Android update isnt until mid 2013. Some people say there are still a few bugs in 4.2.

Been thinking about getting one of these for a while now. I ended up really turned off on tablets for a while after being so disappointed in the Nook Color and ending up having the worst customer service experience of my life trying to return it to B&N.

Skimmed the thread a bit, have people with issues since update 4.2 seen them resolved lately? Are the latest models of this still having the screen lifting issue?

Thinking of picking this up at Sam's where I can return it no questions asked within 30 days if I have an issue.

SpecX

Buy it from Google themselves online. When I bought mine in the summer they also gave me $20 worth of currency for Google play.

I remember seeing that offer when they first came out, but don't see it anymore. I'm heading to Staples in a couple hours to go check it out and will probably buy it from them. I checked the Play store this morning and they say they aren't shipping them for 1-2 weeks which will be after Christmas and too late for me to gift.

I remember seeing that offer when they first came out, but don't see it anymore. I'm heading to Staples in a couple hours to go check it out and will probably buy it from them. I checked the Play store this morning and they say they aren't shipping them for 1-2 weeks which will be after Christmas and too late for me to gift.

You missed a good deal over the weekend on Ebay through Beach Camera. $217 (with over $4 back in Ebay bucks as well) on the 32GB version. Buying the 16GB at Staples is likely to cost you more than that when factoring in tax.

Watevaman

How is writing with a capacitive pen on this?

The more I look at it, the more I want it, but I'm an engineering student so typing notes is really out of the question with all the diagrams and formulas I need to jot down. I think having the ability to write and save notes on this would almost push me to buy one.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Anyone know if I refuse my Nexus 7 delivery will I get the full amount refunded or the device price minus the shipping cost?

I'm tempted to go to the store and just buy one as UPS is incompetent.

Draft

I'm having a hard time finding the 16GB/$200 version of this tablet. Amazon, Best Buy, Target, Walmart, even Office Depot all came up empty.

gcubed

I'm having a hard time finding the 16GB/$200 version of this tablet. Amazon, Best Buy, Target, Walmart, even Office Depot all came up empty.

Amazon and Best Buy don't sell it.

I have about 14 staples within 10 miles of me, all with stock. Up near my parents though they are all sold out, it appears to be very area specific.

BFIB

anyone rooted the n7? any expieriences? i'm not sure if i'm going to do it.

I mainly rooted so I could use my PS3 controller via SixAxis app. Other than that, I haven't done any major tweaking, since the tablet works great.

Rooting is incredibly easy though, it'll only take about 10 minutes to do so.

Draft

Amazon and Best Buy don't sell it.

I have about 14 staples within 10 miles of me, all with stock. Up near my parents though they are all sold out, it appears to be very area specific.
Hah, it seems to be in stock at Staples all around me. Thanks for the tip.

I mainly rooted so I could use my PS3 controller via SixAxis app. Other than that, I haven't done any major tweaking, since the tablet works great.

Rooting is incredibly easy though, it'll only take about 10 minutes to do so.

this is pretty much what i want to do. any security concerns?

gcubed

Hah, it seems to be in stock at Staples all around me. Thanks for the tip.

there you go. Target doesn't sell it either, just Staples, Office Depot and WalMart. I've seen more stock at staples then the other 2, so not a shocker you found a few around you with it.

Top Bottom