• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

andycapps

I mainly rooted so I could use my PS3 controller via SixAxis app. Other than that, I haven't done any major tweaking, since the tablet works great.

Rooting is incredibly easy though, it'll only take about 10 minutes to do so.

If you root are you unable to install OTA updates without breaking root? Been out of the Android game a while.

Also, anyone have links for any good cases for the N7? Are there any that will turn it on standby when you shut the case? Mainly need something that lies flat, if it can also act as a stand, that's a plus.

bonesquad

The real tablet version of Flipboard is now out for the N7.

Looks nice. One question, is there a way to open links directly in Flipboard and not in Chrome? Many of my feeds are just a snip-it and jumping out to an external browser every time I tap View Original Article is annoying. If there is a way I might switch from Feedly...

BFIB

this is pretty much what i want to do. any security concerns?

Nope, not really.

As for the other question, you will get OTA updates that may break the root. All you have to do is root again though.

Once you play some emulators and the GTA games with your controller, you'll realize how great rooting can be.

Isak_Borg

Staples (assuming they have them in stock at the time) sells them, but I don't know about any others.

Got one from Staples last week so they do have it in stock at some locations.

First thing I did was root it and it's pretty dope. Surprised not that many people have mentioned Chameleon Launcher which is pretty amazing.

Pocks

Staples (assuming they have them in stock at the time) sells them, but I don't know about any others.

I've only been able to find the 16GB and 32GB at Staples, online or otherwise.

I think I'll just settle for the 16GB and tether it to my phone.. I have VZW anyway, so it would be a pain to start a new data plan with AT&T. I'll end up saving like $250 over the next year, between $100 savings for the 16GB and about $12 less per month on the data plan.

Watevaman

Got one of these for my dad for Xmas. He's been wanting a laptop, but he's a stroke victim with no use of his right hand and all he really does is play cards and shop on eBay/Amazon, so I figure a tablet would be a good gift. It also serves the purpose of me trying one out to see if I'll bite. I'm probably gonna just get a 16 gig model, though. I don't know what I'd have on mine that takes up a lot of space. I wouldn't think I'd put music or movies on it.

Pocks

I ended up picking up the 16GB from Staples.

This thing is pretty nifty. I love the extra screen space for widgets. It's quite snappy, too.

SpecX

Picked up a 32 gig from Staples for my wife today after searching both Staples nearby. Got lucky, the first one sold out and the second one had their last one in stock, thankfully nobody beat me to it. It's an awesome little device and I see myself wanting one now after having the day to mess around with it. Loaded it up with all her favorite music, bought a few books she's into, and setup most of the apps i'm sure she'll love. I wanted to get her a portenzo case, but it wouldn't make it in time for Xmas and just settles for one on amazon for now.

Ultimatum

Banned
Does anybody know of any good apps for keeping track of the stock markets? Google Finance is a terrible app and is not at all optimised for tablets.

I know everyone roots their android devices, but I run my Nexus7 stock and it suits me just fine. I'm not necessarily a heavy user though, just web surfing, mild reading and YouTube watching really.

Its great for when I'm drawing from reference.

How are Android tablets for users who aren't... that tech savvy?

I've been going back and forth trying to figure out what tablet to buy my Dad. I have an iPad and love it, and I naturally gravitate towards that because they are pretty hard to screw up, and I'm familiar with it if he needs help. But.. some of these newer Android tablets coming out seem pretty attractive...

SpecX

Maybe this has been answered already, but how long does it take others to charge the battery and does the initial charge take longer for any reason? I ran down the battery setting things up and plugged it in at 5 to charge, checked on it at 9 and it was barely at 50%. Don't tell me I have a defect and hopefully this is normal?

adroit

Are you charging from a USB port or the included AC adapter? Charging from a USB port is extremely slow (due to less power). Charging with the AC adapter should take about 3 hours (roughly).

ektoll

Are you charging from a USB port or the included AC adapter? Charging from a USB port is extremely slow (due to less power). Charging with the AC adapter should take about 3 hours (roughly).

Yes, but charging with a USB port (ie slower but on a longer period) grants you a longer battery life.

How are Android tablets for users who aren't... that tech savvy?

My step-parents, who are far from tech-savy, are using a Galaxy Tab7 P-1000 that I've rooted and put CyanogenMod10 on it so it's really really easy.

I would even say that for really basic tasks, it's easier on Android than on iOS because:
If they want to google something, there's the google bar right on the screen; if they want to see their emails, you install the mail widget and they see them directly, no need to open an app; same for Facebooks and well, every widget (news...)

ektoll

Thanks!

What are DRMised? That's that protection right?

I have only bought one album off iTunes, the rest were ripped onto it from my CD collection.

DRMised is a neologism that I invented, but yeah it means "protected" against copy (google DRM if you really don't know what it is, it's quite a frequent term I shall say). If your album was bought as "iTunes plus" songs, it's okay.

If it was ripped, it shouldn't be a problem ;)

Edit:

I'm stupid, listen to this guy

SpecX

Yeah, charged from the USB port. It finally fully charged and the battery life has been great so far. Once the case I ordered from amazon gets in I'm putting this thing away and wrapping the gift before I get too attached.

j-wood

So I've had a Nexus 7 since september.

And still, the device does not show up under "my devices" on the google play store (so I can't install stuff from the web).

I access the store on the tablet without issue, and have access to all my apps. Signed in with the same google account. Anyone else have this issue or a way to fix it?

VoxPop

Just bought a DODO case for my girlfriends Nexus 7, really love the look of their cases.

Is there an android tablet app thread?

tumblr_mdc38z2WrG1ran3jeo1_500.gif

No but seriously, download the Playboard app. App suggestions including tablet ones. Even has a neogaf sub.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Kudos for Google on how fast the Nexus 7 ships. 4 days from order to my front steps. Good job. If only the Nexus 4 was as easy and quick.

Wazzim

Banned
So what do you guys use your Nexus for? I really want one for no specific reason but I already have a smartphone and laptop for on the go stuff.

Is reading and watching videos comfortable on the 7" screen?

slit

Mac Mall had Nexus 7 32gb for $239.00 with free shipping and no sales tax so I had to bite. I just received it, haven't even fired it up yet.

So what do you guys use your Nexus for? I really want one for no specific reason but I already have a smartphone and laptop for on the go stuff.

Is reading and watching videos comfortable on the 7" screen?

It's more convenient than a laptop. I use mine for e-books and comics, browsing, games, neat apps like flipboard and yes videos too when circumstances demand it. Plus you can pay around with cool shit you can do with android.

Apart from reading e-books, it's not necessarily better at anything than a laptop but it's far more convenient.

So the Nexus 7 I bought a few months ago is kind of creaky on the left side, and feels like the screen is separated a bit from the back. This is a common problem, right? Does Google replace them?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
These things still have creaky and lifted screens!? Damn, sorry to hear that man. Take it back to the store or contact Google. Hopefully mine is okay.

My girlfriend ordered me a Portenzo case for my birthday. Best girlfriend ever and can't wait to get my hands on the case.

I've been using my moga controller with my Nexus 7. Emulators are so much fun with a controller.

Top Bottom