• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Ashhong

Why would you want cm on a pure android phone?

Because CM adds even more features and usually keeps most if not all of the current ones? If anything, CM is even better on a pure android phone as all of the kernels and such that are needed for CM are readily available.

So, this is weird. Im not really a tablet guy, but my mom got me the Nexus 7 32 gb.. So... whats this thing do? Or rather, what can I do with it to get my full use out of it, etc. So far Im pretty happy with it, the system seems sleek and responsive, but Im still not sure how to fully utilize it.

One big complaint: lack of a rear camera.

Hieberrr

So, this is weird. Im not really a tablet guy, but my mom got me the Nexus 7 32 gb.. So... whats this thing do? Or rather, what can I do with it to get my full use out of it, etc. So far Im pretty happy with it, the system seems sleek and responsive, but Im still not sure how to fully utilize it.

One big complaint: lack of a rear camera.
- Aldiko (to read your own *.epubs)
- Falcon Pro (Twitter)
- Reddit Sync Pro
- Veetle (for shows)
- TV Portal + MX Player (for shows)
- Dropbox
- DSPManager (to get your speakers/headphones sounding just right)
- Solid Explorer (beautiful and extremely functional file explorer)
- NoNonsense Notes (syncs with Google Tasks)
- Google Translate
- Facebook (if you are into it)
- LinkedIn (if you are into it)
- Sopcast (if you are a soccer fan) + Wiziwig (website for soccer sopcast streams) - Streams are usually 720p
- Volksempfanger (podcast)

Quick

Banned
Who has both an iPad and Nexus 7? :p

I play around with them at work, and it's honestly making me think about getting one.

Phoenix

I play around with them at work, and it's honestly making me think about getting one.

I've got both. I have a lot of hobby hardware sitting around ranging from a Blackberry Playbook to some unreleased Samsung gear. Always fun to look at how quickly the market is moving. I think the only platforms that I've shunned thus far have been Windows Phone and WebOS.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I'm liking 4.2 on this so much that it makes me wish I was in the market for a Nexus 4 (and that they were readily available).

How do you turn off the downloading of "instant upload" photos from your phone? Not a huge issue given the storage space (32GB model) but I don't really need mediocre 5MP pictures in three places. The options in the G+ application seem to only allow you to turn off uploading from the device itself altogether, which isn't needed since I don't take photos with it.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
- Aldiko (to read your own *.epubs)
- Falcon Pro (Twitter)
- Reddit Sync Pro
- Veetle (for shows)
- TV Portal + MX Player (for shows)
- Dropbox
- DSPManager (to get your speakers/headphones sounding just right)
- Solid Explorer (beautiful and extremely functional file explorer)
- NoNonsense Notes (syncs with Google Tasks)
- Google Translate
- Facebook (if you are into it)
- LinkedIn (if you are into it)
- Sopcast (if you are a soccer fan) + Wiziwig (website for soccer sopcast streams) - Streams are usually 720p
- Volksempfanger (podcast)

MMA channel available?

mj1108

I now own both and have an iPad I use for work although I just might take my Nexus 7 to work now and see how well it does there.

3phemeral

I just checked my mom's nexus and she updated. Tell me why they have two notification panels? I was trying to get into the notification shade but it kept showing my the quick shortcuts one. I was under the assumption that it was a double slide down, not anchored to left/right? Confusing as hell, and messy design. I'm not even sure if my mom has realized that there are two shade panels now or if she just noticed it's changed permanently because we both tend to slide down on the right-hand side of the screen.

Please tell me you can change this gesture.

Dina

I wanna get in on Google Play Magazine action, but it (the app) isn't available in The Netherlands. Any way to circumvent this?

JonnyBrad

I just checked my mom's nexus and she updated. Tell me why they have two notification panels? I was trying to get into the notification shade but it kept showing my the quick shortcuts one. I was under the assumption that it was a double slide down, not anchored to left/right? Confusing as hell, and messy design. I'm not even sure if my mom has realized that there are two shade panels now or if she just noticed it's changed permanently because we both tend to slide down on the right-hand side of the screen.

Please tell me you can change this gesture.

You can't change it. It makes sense for landscape orientation but it's stupid for portrait.

Darkkn

how good is it to read pdf books on this?
does it hurt the eyes after a while?

i know e-ink> all but still if its doable

Fantastic. So far i've read two books and while i don't have kindle to compare, i'm loving it for reading. Only negative is that the smudges on the screen are more easily visible than on my Galaxy S3.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Got off the phone with Google. Just waiting for an email to get this thing fixed. Hopefully the second one doesn't have the screen issue.

kehs

Banned

I'm sitting on both right now. Trying to decide which one to get rid off.

I'll write up a post in few days with pro/cons. Essentially I just want to smash both of them together and have an awesome 7.5" tablet.

I took GAF's advice and ordered a Treegloo Nexus 7 case soon after I got my tablet in early November.

I've e-mailed them over the past few weeks and I've received messages (one from a actual person during Thanksgiving and only automated messages after that) claiming that all case orders would be delivered by Christmas.

As of right now, the day after Christmas: I've received jack sh!t, six weeks since I've placed my order.

Dissapointing. Avoid Treegloo, y'all.

EDIT: I wish I saw this thread on another forum before ordering:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-accessories/194750-treegloo-ripping-people-off-not-delivering-check-yourself.html

3phemeral

You can't change it. It makes sense for landscape orientation but it's stupid for portrait.

That's horrible. She never uses it in landscape. Seriously? I already used widgetsoid for her power-widget shortcuts on her notification shade, so having that new feature is redundant considering it's not customizable, uses up so much real estate, and has a profile icon without the option to change profiles that when tapped, just takes her to her own contact info (why does she need to access her own contact profile?).

I was excited when I heard about it, but the implementation is needlessly wonky.

kehs

Banned
That's horrible. She never uses it in landscape. Seriously? I already used widgetsoid for her power widgets shortcuts on her notification shade, so having that new feature is redundant considering it not customizable, uses up so much real estate, and has a profile icon without the option to change profiles that when tapped, just takes her to her own contact info (why does she need to access her own contact profile?).

I was excited when I heard about it, but the implementation is needlessly wonky.

It does have the option to change profiles, you just need to add a second user first under setting.

And yea, left/right shade is stupid.

3phemeral

It does have the option to change profiles, you just need to add a second user first under setting.

And yea, left/right shade is stupid.

Ah, I was under the impression that tapping the contact shortcut would ask you if you wanted to add a new user if no other user was detected. Wouldn't be a feature that made sense, though?

*grumble*

icaroz

Neo Member

I had both, but after getting more and more into the nexus experience, I gave the iPad to my niece. I hadn't turned it on in a month anyway *shrug*

kehs

Banned
Ah, I was under the impression that tapping the contact shortcut would ask you if you wanted to add a new user if no other user was detected. Wouldn't be a feature that made sense, though?

*grumble*

Yeah probably.

I think it's left over from phones, where it would make it easy to share you contact info through nfc or txt or whatever by having a central point for "you".

VanWinkle

I got my fiancee one for Christmas and I was so excited but it keeps restarting and messing up so I have to return it for a new one :( I've never had a single defective device in my life so it caught me by surprise.

Sajjaja

What do you guys think of the Nexus 7 for word processing and what not? I'm thinking about getting it to use for school and use a bluetooth keyboard. Is the screen big enough?

Ashhong

Got my niece a 32gb N7 today. Surprised at how nice it feels and runs. I had a Touchpad and wasn't impressed with the OS, even though I enjoyed Android on my Galaxy S2. Jelly Bean seems to have done a lot for the OS. I really like how it automatically moves around icons when you are trying to organize your homescreen finally.

Dakota47

Got my 32gb Nexus 7 today. What a great device. Browsing the interwebs on the couch is so much more comfortable with this than a laptop.

What's the best way to fix the bug with the 16GB version getting slower as you fill the storage? I tried running Forever Gone like someone recommended earlier in the thread, but my tablet is still benchmarking significantly slower than the Nexus 7 average, especially on writes.

Threi

notag
Don't pay attention to the speeds listed on AndroBench (if that's what you're using to benchmark), their scores are WAY off and unrealistic.

Sequential write should be anywhere from 6-12MB/s, while random writes will be around 0.3-0.5MB/s.

Best thing I've done to avoid it is to just keep more than 2GB free at all times. Sucks, but you can't do much about it. Google or ASUS screwed up bigtime with that.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I really like the split notification shade. I've had it since I bought a nexus so maybe that's why.

It would kinda cool if you could pull up different shit by swiping in from each corner.

Threi

notag
Are there any disadvantages to rooting?
Only ones i can think of are:

1: Rooting will factory reset your device (well not rooting, but unlocking the bootloader)
2: Any OTA update will mess up root (getting Voodoo rootkeeper off the market will make this a non-issue)

Top Bottom