• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Ecto311

Setup one for my parents but now my email is syncing over there - is there a way to have apps I buy show up there but not my other google related info? I did turn off the syncing for now but my old emails that came to the device are still there

chrislowe

Splitmenu is awesome. Only thing i dont like is that they bounce back sometimes.

Why the nexus feels slower when you have lots of programs could maybe be fragmented storage?.. not sure if the system can defragment the "disk" inside?.

My ipad is also slow as hell :(

Dakota47

I'm looking for a twitter app that allows for multiple columns on the screen. Plume is pretty good, but doesn't allow for that. I've heard lots of good things about Falcon. Any other suggestions?

Setup one for my parents but now my email is syncing over there - is there a way to have apps I buy show up there but not my other google related info? I did turn off the syncing for now but my old emails that came to the device are still there

try removing your google account and making one for them.

jacobs34

Anyone else jump for the O.G. Kindle Fire to this device? I can get about $70 for my Fire right now, and pick up a Nexus 7. I spend most of my time on my Fire reading books, checking Facebook/Twitter/Neogaf, and browsing the web. Picking up a Nexus is a no brainer right?

Cipherr

Anyone else jump for the O.G. Kindle Fire to this device? I can get about $70 for my Fire right now, and pick up a Nexus 7. I spend most of my time on my Fire reading books, checking Facebook/Twitter/Neogaf, and browsing the web. Picking up a Nexus is a no brainer right?

No doubt, it can do all of those, and likely alot better than the fire.

Don't pay attention to the speeds listed on AndroBench (if that's what you're using to benchmark), their scores are WAY off and unrealistic.

Sequential write should be anywhere from 6-12MB/s, while random writes will be around 0.3-0.5MB/s.

Ah, that may be my problem. I'll have to check the actual numbers when I get home, but those speeds sound more in line with what I'm getting.

This seems to have been very very popular in the UK over Christmas... I can't find one of these for love nor money. Amazon sellers seem to be hiking their prices as well

Nicktendo86

This seems to have been very very popular in the UK over Christmas... I can't find one of these for love nor money. Amazon sellers seem to be hiking their prices as well
Indeed, my mother in law got my fiancé and her husband one for Christmas (after I recommended it). My fiancé took it to work today and everyone wanted to know what is was, tried to order and was sold out. I bwt it sold like crazy.

Is there some magical trick to getting this thing to create a playlist? I go into the default music player app, create a new playlist, a little box at the bottom says it created the playlist, but then... No playlist is there. I've killed out the music app and everything all to no avail. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: or should I just download a new player? If so, which is the best one? Preferably free, but I'm not against paying..

adroit

Is there some magical trick to getting this thing to create a playlist?
Once you've created a new playlist, go find the music you want to add and then click the triangle icon to the right of the track, album, or artist you want to add to the playlist. Click "Add to playlist" and then pick the playlist you want to add it to.

Once you've created a new playlist, go find the music you want to add and then click the triangle icon to the right of the track, album, or artist you want to add to the playlist. Click "Add to playlist" and then pick the playlist you want to add it to.
Thanks, that worked rather nicely. Do you know if there's a way to add songs faster? It'd be nice of you could just tap an icon and add it to the playlist.

adroit

Thanks, that worked rather nicely. Do you know if there's a way to add songs faster? It'd be nice of you could just tap an icon and add it to the playlist.
Fasten your seat belt...

The player has a built-in "queue". It automatically appends stuff to the queue when you ask it to play something. If you haven't been clearing the queue, there is probably already a ton of stuff in it which you've played in the past.

Whenever there is anything in the queue, a play control bar appears at the bottom of the screen (whether something is playing or not). You can bring up the current track in the queue by tapping on the album art in the lower left corner. Once you've done that, you can click the three horizontal bars to the right of the track name and artist to view the contents of the queue (it will position the list at the current track, which might be in the middle of the queue...scroll up if you want to find the earlier stuff in the queue).

You can clear the queue by tapping the three vertical dots in the upper right corner of the screen and tapping "Clear queue". Or you can save the contents of the queue to a new playlist by tapping "Save queue".

So, if you want to create a new playlist, you could do the following:

1. Clear the queue (explained above) unless you want to include all the stuff which is already in the queue (probably not).

2. Go through your music and find stuff you want to add. Tap the triangle and tap "add to queue". Keep doing that until you've added everything you want.

3. Go back to the queue (click the album art in the lower left corner of the display) and then tap the three vertical dots in the upper right corner of the display to select "Save queue". Type the name of the playlist (might have to be a new playlist...I haven't tried typing the name of an existing playlist to see if it will append to it...be careful because it might do something unfriendly like clobber the old list with the same name).

Hope that is clear. If not, let me know and I'll try to clarify.

If you don't care about creating a permanent playlist, just use the queue and don't bother saving it to a playlist. The queue is basically just a built-in nameless playlist.

s7evn

How's the nexus 7 for taking notes or as a laptop replacement for students? I have a desktop so I don't need a large laptop, and was wondering if the 7 would work well for that use.

Speevy

Banned
My father was asking me about getting one for himself. He said he only needs the 16 GB.

Can someone find me a new one (16 GB) for a really good price?

Thanks.

ektoll

Just got a 32gb Nexus 7 yesterday. I'm very impressed with it so far. Is there a decent list of various apps?

You'll find everything you need HERE and, well, even what you probably don't need :D

How's the nexus 7 for taking notes or as a laptop replacement for students? I have a desktop so I don't need a large laptop, and was wondering if the 7 would work well for that use.

Honestly, without a proper keyboard, I don't think it would be very effective for taking notes, or only very short ones.

Speevy

Banned
I'm using it as a textbook replacement and to record lectures.

I can't imagine actually writing with it, since there's no way any tablet could be as fast and accurate as my actual handwriting.

My father was asking me about getting one for himself. He said he only needs the 16 GB.

Can someone find me a new one (16 GB) for a really good price?

Thanks.
nope. sold out everywhere. ebay = not a good price.

you can get the 32GB model for $50 more and no other $250 tablet comes close.

What's a good camera-launcher app for the Nexus?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.modaco.cameralauncher&hl=en

Is there a way to stream music to the Nexus 7? I'm in Canada, so I don't think I can use the Google Play music thingy.
well, i'm not in Canada to confirm, but from what i've read, all you need is a US proxy to *sign up* for Google Music, and then you can use it from anywhere in the world.

3phemeral

Might as well get a Note II or a Note 10.1.

Using capacitive styli are never good for writing notes. Feels like you're finger painting.

slit

Got mine for Christmas and this thing is great. I much prefer it to iPad. I'm so glad I got this. It is an excellent tablet.

kamie

Neo Member
I'm starting to hate this thing. Bought mine yesterday, but I couldn't turn it on.
So I returned it today and got a new one. After the update the battery only shows 0% -unknown and it doesn't change....I hate this

Macka

The 32GB model costs $299 on the Google Store when buying from Australia. Is there a decent online store I can import a US model from?

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought the US price was $249 for the 32, not the 16.

Cipherr

I'm starting to hate this thing. Bought mine yesterday, but I couldn't turn it on.
So I returned it today and got a new one. After the update the battery only shows 0% -unknown and it doesn't change....I hate this

Did you charge it to full and use it for a good long while so the battery stat could sync up? Im pretty sure I remember hearing that brand new phones would do that sometimes until they were used for a bit. But maybe Im wrong.

Macka

The 32 is $249 in the US.
Yeah, I thought I'd read that somewhere, but figured I was wrong since the OP states it's $249 for the 16GB...guess that hasn't been updated.

Anyway, Amazon won't ship to my address (and they charge ~$275 for the 32GB anyway), so I guess my question still stands: is there a reputable online store that will ship to Australia for a decent price?

gcubed

You don't have to sell me. I love this thing.

I just want to give him a link to a $199 16 GB, which is Google's price.

Seems I might have to wait a bit.

Staples, Walmart or OfficeMax. You'll have to be in store though, and call around to check stock first

Had mine for a few weeks (bought used) and I am loving it. However yesterday I dropped it from the bed and was terrified (due to the lack of gorilla glass and different reports), but no new scratch except the tablet opening more up on the middle which could be closed easily.

kamie

Neo Member
Did you charge it to full and use it for a good long while so the battery stat could sync up? Im pretty sure I remember hearing that brand new phones would do that sometimes until they were used for a bit. But maybe Im wrong.

No, I returned the second one, too. Then the seller tried to turn it on and it wasnt working, which was weird, because I could at least turn it on.
They didn't have another one in stock, so I got my money back.....I think the nexus 7 hates me...

Add me to the list of new adopters. I honestly just put it on my list because I couldn't think of anything else to put on my list.. and I've always sort of been against ever owning a tablet. With that being said.... I LOVE THIS THING. I honestly can't put it down with all the games/books/comics/etc. I do with it.

I was curious.. I have a save for dungeon village on my galaxy s3 that I'd like to transfer over to my nexus and continue on there. Is rooting the 7 so I can use titanium backup the only feasible way to accomplish this?

Husker86

Add me to the list of new adopters. I honestly just put it on my list because I couldn't think of anything else to put on my list.. and I've always sort of been against ever owning a tablet. With that being said.... I LOVE THIS THING. I honestly can't put it down with all the games/books/comics/etc. I do with it.

I was curious.. I have a save for dungeon village on my galaxy s3 that I'd like to transfer over to my nexus and continue on there. Is rooting the 7 so I can use titanium backup the only feasible way to accomplish this?

Can you tell if the save is just a file on the storage partition? I used to transfer my RoboDefense save between devices constantly since it was just a file. I was rooted always but you definitely don't need to be rooted to just swap files back and forth.

You can also try MyBackup (might need pro to go between devices). It's a pretty good backup that doesn't lose much functionality without root.

dave_m123

Got one for Christmas, its a great device :) loving it so far. Think I may have the issue with the screws that need tightening in it which from the vids on youtube it looks easy enough do.

Question to any Android hacking experts. I broke my Nexus 7 screen, but it's still operational. Is there any way i can hack/root/jailbreak/whatever a Nexus 7 to use it with external equipment like a monitor and mouse and keyboard? Like a sort of underpowered computer?

3phemeral

Question to any Android hacking experts. I broke my Nexus 7 screen, but it's still operational. Is there any way i can hack/root/jailbreak/whatever a Nexus 7 to use it with external equipment like a monitor and mouse and keyboard? Like a sort of underpowered computer?

Last I read it's not MHL compatible so you're out of luck.

la_briola

The Tegra3 should support Miracast.

I guess If your TV has Miracast built-in and you use CM10.1 you may be able to stream to your TV.

There is also the possibility of installing ubuntu https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7, but I'm not sure if they support Miracast or something like usb2hdmi.

I bought my Nexus 7 weeks ago, but only now have begun to explore gaming on it.

I downloaded a couple of my iOS favorites; Rayman Jungle Run, Mini Motor and Plants vs. Zombies. Performance is great and playing these games on a bigger screen is delightful!

Nitsuj23

The Tegra3 should support Miracast.

I guess If your TV has Miracast built-in and you use CM10.1 you may be able to stream to your TV.

There is also the possibility of installing ubuntu https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7, but I'm not sure if they support Miracast or something like usb2hdmi.

Are there any Miracast devices that plug into a TV via HDMI that would allow streaming video/music from my N7? Pretty much an alternative to AirPlay/ATV.

Levi

Banned
I slipped on some icy steps a week ago and my Nexus 7 screen shattered, and the casing looks bent. I... really miss it.

Top Bottom