• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

3phemeral

I slipped on some icy steps a week ago and my Nexus 7 screen shattered, and the casing looks bent. I... really miss it.

I did the same a while back, only I suffered a gigantic gash on my knee to save cheesecakes. Oh, they were so worth it.

Took about a month to heal up.

As for devices, I cracked my tf101 at the gym. I've used it for half a year or so without issue, but as soon as the gym gets flooded by a family of kids and I try to remove my tablet at an awkward angle, it slips out of my fingers and slides off the machine, flipping face flat onto onto the carpet-covered concrete.

I was so heartbroken.

Vyer

I think my N7 has died.

Since the last update the battery life really took a dive and I think I may have had the random reboots issue. Well this morning it looked like it was out if juice again so I plugged it in to charge.

After a bit I went to turn it on and all I'm getting is a black screen with bursts of static at the edges.

>:'[

Going to let it charge fully and try another reboot, maybe Google around a bit and see if I can find any info.

Between my first unit being defective, the shitty tablet app situation, Google refreshing 3 months after I bought it and the last updates, my experience owning a 'pure Android device' has been pretty shitacular.

adroit

I was lucky and got a good one (knock on wood it keeps working). But next time Google designs a Nexus device it needs to pick a manufacturer that actually has a quality control department. It would seem Asus doesn't.

Having been out of stock for a few weeks, my local Currys finally got these in on New Years Eve, so I picked the 32GB model up..

I felt bad spending my Christmas money on it tbh, because I know I don't really need one of these -- and yet, it's really nice. I downloaded a couple of magazines (web designer, men's health) and bought my first book off the Play store (44 years with the same bird -- great/funny read if you're a Liverpool FC fan) and I actually find it a really nice device for that kind of thing. I also installed NFS MW and Nova 3 as they're going cheap... Nova is a bit framey in places, but it looks very nice in places too, NFS MW runs fine. Tried out my OnLive account on it too... I can't see that I'll be doing much gaming on it, but I will probably use it a lot as a reading / web browsing / media device. I watched Charlie Brooker's 2012 Wipe on the iPlayer last night, in lieu of the Wii U not having BBC iPlayer yet, and I also watched a bit of Ice Age in HD due to it having a pre installed license for it. Nice!

I picked up the official Asus case for it, but I kind of wish I'd got one of those cheaper cases that also doubles as a stand...

I've sideloaded Ultimate Rotation, Flash and a couple of other things. Any must installs?

I note that the recent 4.2 update has broken Wii Remote syncing, is there an ETA on a fix for those issues? I'd love to put some emulators and stuff on here

Darryl

Banned
I think my N7 has died.

Since the last update the battery life really took a dive and I think I may have had the random reboots issue. Well this morning it looked like it was out if juice again so I plugged it in to charge.

After a bit I went to turn it on and all I'm getting is a black screen with bursts of static at the edges.

>:'[

Going to let it charge fully and try another reboot, maybe Google around a bit and see if I can find any info.

Between my first unit being defective, the shitty tablet app situation, Google refreshing 3 months after I bought it and the last updates, my experience owning a 'pure Android device' has been pretty shitacular.

try messing with the power buttons. try holding them down in random orders, etc. the same thing happened to me as well but i fixed it.

eso76

happened to me too like one month ago.
It wouldn't do anything, so i just let it run out of battery, recharged and it was as good as new.

Also, this may sound like the SILLIEST question EVER, but i still don't know how to turn the device on exactly.

pushing power button once generally does nothing, not always though.
holding it down for a few seconds seems to do the same (works at times, not always)
sometimes i push it several times in a row and it will turn on.
sometimes i would dance the macarena with my thumb on the power button and it won't turn on.
i never completely shut it down because of this :p

Willectro

Banned
It wouldn't do anything, so i just let it run out of battery, recharged and it was as good as new.

Also, this may sound like the SILLIEST question EVER, but i still don't know how to turn the device on exactly.

holding it down for a few seconds seems to do the same (works at times, not always)
sometimes i would dance the macarena with my thumb on the power button and it won't turn on.

I usually just press the power button once. In a couple seconds the Google logo is displayed followed by the Nexus logo while the OS loads.

Zaph

So I got a Nexus 7 over the holidays and it's a great device (perfect size/shape for a tablet IMO) but I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with mine.

Is lag still a thing with Android? Sometimes even small things cause it to lag/stutter, such as; unlocking the device, using a widget, opening the task switcher, quickly scrolling a website.

While I used Android a lot in its infancy (1.x/2.x - HTC Dream era), I've been predominantly iOS ever since so I'm not sure if this is normal. So without starting an OS war, is this something I'm just going to have to get used to with Android?

Also, is there anyway to 'force' the OS to play the last listened to audio stream of any app in the background (similar to iOS' play button in the task switcher which forces the last app/website to play)? Apps supporting background audio natively seems quite inconsistent.

There is definitely moments of lag when using the Nexus 7, but certainly nothing that detracts from the experience. Project Butter needs a bit more work.

It's early days for me but I've only really experienced lag when trying to do too much. Some apps instantiate background processes, so sometimes its best to kill those (easily done from the 'recent apps' button - swipe left on the app to dismiss it)

I've also set up multiple users on mine, and I can successfully make the thing chug a little by going into each of the three accounts and starting up apps that do a lot of syncing or what have you... but that's not really normal behaviour, I was just sort of testing its limits.

Speaking of multiple users -- I was a bit disappointed in the way DRM is handled. I can understand apps not being shareable across accounts, otherwise we'd all be sharing one Play account and never buying anything ourselves --- but when I buy a book on the Play store, it would be nice if others in my family could read it without me having to add my Play account to their login, exposing my entire Google account in the process (wallet, gmail etc). Like apps though, those things aren't tied to the hardware, they're tied to the account. It's frustrating, and makes me more likely to use the Kindle app or some other reader; and other media apps rather than Google's.

vdlow

Anyone on n7 want to try out my new app and see how well it scales on the device?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...WZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5hcHAuY2xpcGJvYXJkYWRtaW4iXQ

Ok, I tried it on my Nexus 7. It looks nice, I took a screenshot so you can have an idea of how it looks:

Screenshot_2013-01-02-18-09-41_zpsbe411dd4.png

I experienced a problem, I opened the app for the first time, closed it without touching in anything, and then tried to copy a random text. It showed the message "Clipboard Admin stopped". Classic. lol After that I continued to use the app normally without experiencing the error again.

Also, I believe you should app an option to hide the notification.

I'll keep on testing the app, if anything goes wrong I'll tell you. =)

Got one for Christmas instantly dropped my rip of FFT on the thing and downloaded EPSXE... soo good. Never had a psp so FFT on the go is fucking great. So is Firefox the best flash browser for android... i have a flash chat room i like to visit and it always crashes Firefox.

Ok, I tried it on my Nexus 7. It looks nice, I took a screenshot so you can have an idea of how it looks:

Screenshot_2013-01-02-18-09-41_zpsbe411dd4.png

I experienced a problem, I opened the app for the first time, closed it without touching in anything, and then tried to copy a random text. It showed the message "Clipboard Admin stopped". Classic. lol After that I continued to use the app normally without experiencing the error again.

Also, I believe you should app an option to hide the notification.

I'll keep on testing the app, if anything goes wrong I'll tell you. =)

Cool thx for testing! Hopefully that was just some random Android error lol. Haven't seen any on my n4 yet.

Watevaman

Would it be appropriate to ask for game suggestions here? I picked up a 32GB model and even though I had no intention of playing games on it, I installed Angry Birds Star Wars and find it perfect for it. Are there any good 2D games that are good time wasters? I think I saw Machinarium is on Android so I might pick that up, as I never beat it on my PC.

lolmoose

Neo Member
Would it be appropriate to ask for game suggestions here? I picked up a 32GB model and even though I had no intention of playing games on it, I installed Angry Birds Star Wars and find it perfect for it. Are there any good 2D games that are good time wasters? I think I saw Machinarium is on Android so I might pick that up, as I never beat it on my PC.

Game Dev Story is good.

vdlow

Cool thx for testing! Hopefully that was just some random Android error lol. Haven't seen any on my n4 yet.

I'm not on the tablet right now, but later I'll try to clean the app data, to simulate a first time use, and see if the error happens again. Still, nice app man, congratulations.

I'm not on the tablet right now, but later I'll try to clean the app data, to simulate a first time use, and see if the error happens again. Still, nice app man, congratulations.

I just uploaded a minor bugfix. I think the issue may have been the ad but not certain. Let me know if it happens again

Hauk

Neo Member
So I installed exPSE or w/e that PS1 emulator was called, would be awesome to play my childhood games again like Spyros and Crash Bandicoots. Tried to hook up a wired usb Xbox 360 controller to N7 with an adapter that cost about 3$, and it didn't work. Looked up some videos about exPSE on nexus 7 and it seems to work right when plugged in. I don't have any other micro-USB devices so I can't test the adapter, but it seems I'm stuck with having no controller for PS1 as the dollar-store adapter doesn't want to help me :/

Anyone else been in the same situation?

pr0cs

So I installed exPSE or w/e that PS1 emulator was called, would be awesome to play my childhood games again like Spyros and Crash Bandicoots. Tried to hook up a wired usb Xbox 360 controller to N7 with an adapter that cost about 3$, and it didn't work. Looked up some videos about exPSE on nexus 7 and it seems to work right when plugged in. I don't have any other micro-USB devices so I can't test the adapter, but it seems I'm stuck with having no controller for PS1 as the dollar-store adapter doesn't want to help me :/

Anyone else been in the same situation?

I presume you have a OTG cable?
if you're on 4.2 OTG support was dropped.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
1st Nexus 7: Left side of the screen click
2nd Nexus 7: Top right corner clicks, constant screen flickering

The build quality is pretty awful on these.

Miutsu

Do you recommend ordering a Nexus 7 from the play store or newegg? they are both the same price except you have to pay for shipping on newegg, I'm ordering the 32gb one.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Do you recommend ordering a Nexus 7 from the play store or newegg? they are both the same price except you have to pay for shipping on newegg, I'm ordering the 32gb one.

I ordered mine from the Play Store as I couldn't find any 16GB models in store (Canada).

The whole warranty/replacement had been pretty painless through Google though I heard nightmare stories when done through Asus.

Canadian shipping was $16.99. I think it's $13.99 or less for US orders.

Edit- Seems the screen flickering has stopped. Weird. Fuck. This Nexus was 95% perfect.

Vyer

It's supposed to be a quick press and it works, but I've had it before where it took a few seconds to turn on. And then this last time took a long time.

try messing with the power buttons. try holding them down in random orders, etc. the same thing happened to me as well but i fixed it.

I managed to bring mine back up. But Yeah apparently this is a thing for some people. Searching around I found a lot of threads on it.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...25-nexus-7-wont-turn-no-matter-what-i-do.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...creen-goes-dead-pixels-fly-across-screen.html
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/mobile/J8283AK1kss/M7KJkjgtXy8J

The long press (like 30 seconds) and volume buttons trick finally woke it up, finally allowing it to even take a charge. Before that it would just turn the screen on, but stay black and have little lines of static/pixels popping up across the screen. Really strange. Finally got it to shut down and replugged and got the battery symbol flashing up on the screen. A little concerning considering how the battery drains quicker these days.

I didn't bother with the 'pry the back off and mess with the battery contacts' solution a few people came up with, but hopefully it won't come to that.

Purely anecdotal, but ASUS repaired my cracked Nexus screen no charge. I told the service rep that I didn't think accidental damage was covered under the warranty (pretty sure it wasn't), but he said "nah, we've got you covered." Good thing too--I've been browsing the thread and really missing my Nexus these past two weeks or so :'(

3phemeral

Purely anecdotal, but ASUS repaired my cracked Nexus screen no charge. I told the service rep that I didn't think accidental damage was covered under the warranty (pretty sure it wasn't), but he said "nah, we've got you covered." Good thing too--I've been browsing the thread and really missing my Nexus these past two weeks or so :'(

Surprised. For my tf101 they were asking for nearly 300 bucks to repair it. I just went and bought a new one for slightly cheaper to avoid the whole shipping fiasco on top of it.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I had no idea that there were playstation emulators for the Nexus 7, how well do they work? Was thinking of grabbing one of these for reading comics on mainly, but I'd enjoy having a little retro gaming tablet. Have people had good experiences with any apps?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I had no idea that there were playstation emulators for the Nexus 7, how well do they work? Was thinking of grabbing one of these for reading comics on mainly, but I'd enjoy having a little retro gaming tablet. Have people had good experiences with any apps?

Epsxe works perfectly for everything I've tried it with. Supports controllers, too. Even better than the real thing, baby.

kamie

Neo Member
I'm not sure if should buy a third device. I really love the size of the nexus 7, but I don't want to get another defective one...

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Epsxe works perfectly for everything I've tried it with. Supports controllers, too. Even better than the real thing, baby.

How about SNES or Mega Drive/Genesis emulators? I imagine they're fairly plentiful and controller-compatible too? Starting to really look forward to getting one of these now, just need to recover from Christmas spending first!

CPS2

How about SNES or Mega Drive/Genesis emulators? I imagine they're fairly plentiful and controller-compatible too? Starting to really look forward to getting one of these now, just need to recover from Christmas spending first!
There's plenty of decent console emulators around. I'm a bit surprised there doesn't seem to be any good arcade emulators at all tho =/

Top Bottom