• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

xemumanic

What I've really been using my Nexus 7 for the most is as a remote for my HTPC. I've got the Ceton Companion app for Media Center, which by the way, is the most prolific mobile app I've ever seen, other than maybe Angry Birds; a plugin for Media Browser that gives me a awesome HTML 5 web-based remote for my ripped movie and TV collection; Arcsoft's Total Media Theatre BluRay/DVD software has a simple and free remote control app that's also on iOS. XBMC has a pretty good remote for Eden, but still needs some work for it to be as good as it was on Eden on Frodo.

Not to mention most recent Smart TVs and audio receivers have remote apps. I only use these apps to switch those devices on/off, and to switch inputs.

And those are just strictly remote control apps. There's a number of great DLNA browsers, I'm partial to MediaHouse UPnP at the moment, but I haven't really fooled around with many of those yet to find the one I consider 'the best', but MediaHouse works well for me. There's also the great YouTube Remote for sending YouTube videos to XBMC to play (or is it the default YouTube app you use for that? I'm doing this off the top of my head).

In any case, there's a number of great apps, most of which I've listed are cross platform, or have similar equivalents on iOS. The only thing that can imagine being annoying to some is having to switch between apps for this and that, but these apps are all mostly lightweight, so switching is fast and easy.

Can't wait to get the official dock to complete the setup.

andycapps

Still loving my Nexus 7. No quality issues with it, battery life is great, and it runs pretty smoothly. Hoping that they can get it running even smoother in future updates.

buhdeh

A better screen would be nice but yeah I don't really have many complaints with the N7. I guess the build quality could be better too but I can't say I've had any problems.

Polari

Even if they put in a Tegra 4 or something few games use it, and those that do are flashy yet-unplayable tech demos.

Agreed. Not sure how much more expensive the Tegra 4 part is likely to be either. I think we'll probably see a slimmer Nexus 7 with similar or the same specs coming in at the $120-150 mark relatively soon though.

The next Nexus 7 will be slimmer, lighter and faster. Can't see anything else being added.

I REALLY hope they use better parts and/or invest in some more QA. Hard to believe it still has issues this far after being released. Purchased one at staples beginning of last month and the left side had terrible screen lift where the glass was over the bezel. Returned it and just ordered a 3G N7 from Play. Gyro was screwed on that one and had to return it...From the time I put my order in with Play and actually got my money back it was probably close to 1 month =\

Polari

I REALLY hope they use better parts and/or invest in some more QA. Hard to believe it still has issues this far after being released. Purchased one at staples beginning of last month and the left side had terrible screen lift where the glass was over the bezel. Returned it and just ordered a 3G N7 from Play. Gyro was screwed on that one and had to return it...From the time I put my order in with Play and actually got my money back it was probably close to 1 month =\

Think this is probably the result of them rushing this to market, although I didn't have any problems with my launch model. Hopefully it will be sorted next time around.

Ok, I tried it on my Nexus 7. It looks nice, I took a screenshot so you can have an idea of how it looks:

Screenshot_2013-01-02-18-09-41_zpsbe411dd4.png

I experienced a problem, I opened the app for the first time, closed it without touching in anything, and then tried to copy a random text. It showed the message "Clipboard Admin stopped". Classic. lol After that I continued to use the app normally without experiencing the error again.

Also, I believe you should app an option to hide the notification.

I'll keep on testing the app, if anything goes wrong I'll tell you. =)

Done! please check latest version in the market :)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...WZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5hcHAuY2xpcGJvYXJkYWRtaW4iXQ..

Just found out I (and all of the west coast of my company) are getting a free Kindle Fire HD. >.<

That's close to a Nexus 7, right?.... Right?

Has anyone gotten anDosBox or DosBox Turbo working well with virtual keyboard?

I downloaded hackers keyboard, which has full QWERTY, F-key, Ctrl, Alt, direction keys etc, but it seems to send keypresses (when held down, as you would the direction keys) at a painfully slow rate. I tried Commander Keen for example, I can see it's running perfectly but the keyboard just isn't responsive.

I was thinking about getting a 16 gb Nexus 7 mainly for browsing the web and testing out some apps i want to work on, along with watching some YouTube videos. Do you guys think it would be worth the money just for those basic things? I have an iPod touch and Android phone, but the larger screen seems like it could be really nice to use and test apps. I also don't have a laptop so it'd be kind of nice to have something portable.

So it seems from what i have read, flash is no longer supported at all? Also, I've read some of your guys' complaints about build quality/QA stuff. Should I be worried about that or is pretty rare?

Thanks!

NIghtWolf

The next Nexus 7 will be slimmer, lighter and faster. Can't see anything else being added.

A rear camera?

I tried my sister nexus 7 the other day, felt pretty nice. The only thing i didnt like is that I coultnt access chrome store to get a few apps I use on my desktop. I will wait for the next nexus device, hopefully powerful enough to emulate linux and VM windows easily.

Seik

Banned
Is the Nexus 7 still worth getting? Or is there something like the Nexus 7-2 coming out in a few months?

I really liked it at first during launch, but its performance with Opengl via FPse were bad sometimes, depending on the game, the corner of my screen went loose and I returned it for a full refund, I read so many stories about some people having to return it over and over again, I didn't want to get into that shit. :/

Btw, is the screen issue gone after all these months or its still a frequent problem?

Oh, almost forgot, there's the Tegra 4 that's supposed to be 6 times more powerful than the T3 and its coming out during Q1 2013 iirc. I'll wait for this one.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Where is a good place to get themes? I'm going for a white and red look.

Also, what's good for watching streams. Tried Firefox and Twitch app. Both suck.

After a few hours, I finally installed Paranoid Android using the Nexus Toolkit. Very easy to use once you understand what things do. It's actually really nice and I anticipate using a few more potentially but for now, PA is really, really nice.

I really liked it at first during launch, but its performance with Opengl via FPse were bad sometimes, depending on the game, the corner of my screen went loose and I returned it for a full refund, I read so many stories about some people having to return it over and over again, I didn't want to get into that shit. :/

Btw, is the screen issue gone after all these months or its still a frequent problem?

Oh, almost forgot, there's the Tegra 4 that's supposed to be 6 times more powerful than the T3 and its coming out during Q1 2013 iirc. I'll wait for this one.

Do you mean the screen lift? Nope it's still present. I picked one up at staples in December and returned same day cause the left side glass was over the bezel.

VanWinkle

I got my fiancee one of these for Christmas and it was a defective unit, so we returned it on the 26th of December, and we STILL haven't been able to get a new one. Why on earth is it so hard to find a 16gb Nexus 7? I'm frustrated because that was her big gift from me and she can't even get one.

I got my fiancee one of these for Christmas and it was a defective unit, so we returned it on the 26th of December, and we STILL haven't been able to get a new one. Why on earth is it so hard to find a 16gb Nexus 7? I'm frustrated because that was her big gift from me and she can't even get one.

add $50 and just get 32GB just for the sorry. ;P

Cipherr

Are there still short stock of these? They ramped up production already months ago, thought it would all be settled by now.

VanWinkle

Are there still short stock of these? They ramped up production already months ago, thought it would all be settled by now.

None of the brick-and-mortar stores around me have it (although I really wanted to get it at Walmart like I did with the one that turned out to be defective, because I get a discount there), and Google Play site and Walmart.com don't have it either.

Speevy

Banned
Hey guys.

I was wondering if there exists a device that just snaps on/plugs into the Nexus 7 and allows me to use it as though it were a traditional gaming handheld.

I know there are Bluetooth controllers. I also know about the few devices that will fit a phone.

MisterNoisy

I was able to walk in to my local Wal-Mart and just buy one straight awaya few days ago, despite walmart.com saying there weren't any in stock. It may be worth a trip just to go check.

Top Bottom