• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

JCX

None of the brick-and-mortar stores around me have it (although I really wanted to get it at Walmart like I did with the one that turned out to be defective, because I get a discount there), and Google Play site and Walmart.com don't have it either.

I found one at Staples. When I got one before Christmas, they had a lot of 32GB units in stock.

coopolon

Since sorting out Splashtop2's resolution problem i've been mainlining Civ 5, absolutely welded to my tablet for 5-10 hours a day.
Nothing like having a super-timesink of a game available at all times.

Do you play just using touch like a mouse? Or have you hooked up a m/kB?

Macka

I was supposed to get one of these today. I called up my local Officeworks yesterday afternoon, asking if they had any 32GB Nexus 7's in stock. The guy I spoke to on the phone said they had 'plenty', so today during my lunch break I headed to the store to pick one up.

Anyway, I start talking to the salesman in Officeworks and tell him that I want to buy a Nexus 7, but that I'd like to pricematch another store. I show him the price (which was about $30 cheaper than what they're selling it for), and he says that it's fine, but he needs to confirm it first by calling the other store. The guy proceeds to spend the next ten minutes on the phone (which admittedly wasn't his fault). Once he's done he tells me that will go get one from out the back. A few minutes later he comes returns empty-handed, mentioning something about needing keys. He walks off again and starts talking to another salesman, and then the two of them comes over saying they don't have any left.

Something about the way it all went down didn't seem right to me. I work in the Electrical department of another (larger) retail store, and I always know what stock I have left of tablets, etc. You'd think he'd have known he didn't have any of something as popular as the Nexus 7. He also spent ten minutes on a phone asking about the price, so at the very least he must have thought they had some at that point.

I walked outside and called the store. Made sure to put on a slightly different accent and asked the guy if they had any 16 or 32GB Nexus 7's available. Sure enough - the guy they have some in stock. I paused for a second, severely pissed off, and asked if he could double check because I'd need to drive from out of town to pick it up. Puts me on hold for a few minutes, and says that he definitely has some of both size. I asked if I could have a 32GB model put on hold for me, and he said that wouldn't be a problem.

I walk back into the fucking store, and ask to pickup my Nexus 7. The guy I had talked to before didn't look too happy, and told me again that they were out of stock. I told him what I had just done, and he said he didn't know how to explain it but they were definitely out of stock. I asked to speak to the manager and he said he wasn't in today. They clearly had some left, and just didn't want to pricematch that cheaper price, despite their mantra being 'if you can find a lower price on a stocked item, we'll beat it by 5%'.

Fuck you, Officeworks. They wasted my lunch break.

Fuck Officeworks.

I called them up yesterday afternoon asking if they had any 32GB Nexus 7's in stock. The guy I spoke to on the phone said they had 'plenty', so today during my lunch break I headed to the store to pick one up.

Anyway, I start talking to the salesman in Officeworks and tell him that I want to buy a Nexus 7, but that I'd like to pricematch another store. I show him the price (which was about $30 cheaper than what they're selling it for), and he says that it's fine, but he needs to confirm it first by calling the other store.

The guy proceeds to spend the next ten minutes on the phone (which admittedly wasn't his fault). Once he's done he tells me that will go get one from out the back. A few minutes later he comes returns handed, mentioning something about needing keys. He walks off again and starts talking to another salesman, and then the two of them comes over saying they don't have any left.

Something about the way it all went down didn't seem right to me. I work in the Electrical department of another (larger) retail store, and I always know what stock I have left of tablets, etc. You'd think he'd have known he didn't have any of something as popular as the Nexus 7. He also spent ten minutes on a phone asking about the price, so at the very least he must have thought they had some at that point.

I walked outside and called the store. Made sure to put on a slightly different accent and asked the guy if they had any 16 or 32GB Nexus 7's available. Sure enough - the guy says he'll they have some in stock. I paused for a second, severely pissed off, and asked if he could double check because I'd need to drive from out of town to pick it up. Puts me on hold for a few minutes, and says that he definitely has some of both size. I asked if I could have a 32GB model put on hold for me, and he said that wouldn't be a problem.

I walk back into the fucking store, and ask to pickup my Nexus 7. The guy I had talked to before didn't look too happy, and told me again that they were out of stock. I told him what I had just done, and he said he didn't know how to explain it but they were definitely out of stock. I asked to speak to the manager and he said he wasn't in today.

They clearly had some left, and just didn't want to pricematch that cheaper price, despite their mantra being 'if you can find a lower price on a stocked item, we'll beat it by 5%'. Fuck you, Officeworks.

Call Corporate if they have one

Mrcapcom

Just got my 32gb Nexus 7 Last night and man so far I love it and I haven't even put any apps on it lol

I just Rooted/Unlocked/TWRP'd it and now im enjoying stock is the rom scene really worth it? Or should I just stay stock for the time being.

Whats a good OTG cable to get?

Just got my 32gb Nexus 7 Last night and man so far I love it and I haven't even put any apps on it lol

I just Rooted/Unlocked/TWRP'd it and now im enjoying stock is the rom scene really worth it? Or should I just stay stock for the time being.

Whats a good OTG cable to get?
Depends really. I think custom Roms were a lot more useful a while back. Stock JB IMO is pretty good. I'm running stock rooted on my n4 and quite happy.

Mrcapcom

Depends really. I think custom Roms were a lot more useful a while back. Stock JB IMO is pretty good. I'm running stock rooted on my n4 and quite happy.

Yea it seems that way. I might stick to the regular launcher too not sure just yet I love custom icons and I have Nova on my Prime and SGS3.

What about cases i kinda want one with the magnet on it to make it go on and off when u close it. Whats a good one?

Cipherr

I was supposed to get one of these today. I called up my local Officeworks yesterday afternoon, asking if they had any 32GB Nexus 7's in stock. The guy I spoke to on the phone said they had 'plenty', so today during my lunch break I headed to the store to pick one up.

Anyway, I start talking to the salesman in Officeworks and tell him that I want to buy a Nexus 7, but that I'd like to pricematch another store. I show him the price (which was about $30 cheaper than what they're selling it for), and he says that it's fine, but he needs to confirm it first by calling the other store. The guy proceeds to spend the next ten minutes on the phone (which admittedly wasn't his fault). Once he's done he tells me that will go get one from out the back. A few minutes later he comes returns empty-handed, mentioning something about needing keys. He walks off again and starts talking to another salesman, and then the two of them comes over saying they don't have any left.

I walked outside and called the store. Made sure to put on a slightly different accent and asked the guy if they had any 16 or 32GB Nexus 7's available. Sure enough - the guy they have some in stock. I paused for a second, severely pissed off, and asked if he could double check because I'd need to drive from out of town to pick it up. Puts me on hold for a few minutes, and says that he definitely has some of both size. I asked if I could have a 32GB model put on hold for me, and he said that wouldn't be a problem.

I walk back into the fucking store, and ask to pickup my Nexus 7. The guy I had talked to before didn't look too happy, and told me again that they were out of stock. I told him what I had just done, and he said he didn't know how to explain it but they were definitely out of stock. I asked to speak to the manager and he said he wasn't in today. They clearly had some left, and just didn't want to pricematch that cheaper price, despite their mantra being 'if you can find a lower price on a stocked item, we'll beat it by 5%'.

Woooooow....

wow. lol you should have walked in while talking on the phone LOL

Wazzim

Banned

Holy shit.

Zaph

They clearly had some left, and just didn't want to pricematch that cheaper price, despite their mantra being 'if you can find a lower price on a stocked item, we'll beat it by 5%'.

He works for a massive, nationwide company - why is he acting like it's his store and you're taking food off his table? He seems to be going to a lot of effort to stop you from buying it too, maybe employees get reprimanded or something every time they 'let' a customer price match?

Hieberrr

Call corporate. Take some names, kick some ass.

The consensus seems to be that the iPad mini has an edge, but it's also $400.

If I had $400 to spend on a tablet, I'd buy a better tablet than either of them.

What is the best tablet for $400?

Sorry that these are extremely basic questions. This is actual on behalf of a family member.

Speevy

Banned

Sorry that these are extremely basic questions. This is actual on behalf of a family member.

I made an error. It's actually $329 from Apple's website. I was looking at shopping results which list it at $400. The lowest model is $329.

The Apple iPad 2 is $400.

The best tablet also depends on your needs. Do your family member need a larger screen?

bonesquad

Without knowing details about who this is for, I'd recommend an iPad Mini. I really like my Nexus 7, but I got the mini for my parents and if I didn't already have an iPhone I'd probably have a mini too. You can't go wrong with either though.

Hieberrr

What do you want out of a tablet? I mean, what purposes will it serve? Web browsing? Email? Music? Streaming?

I can't comment on the iPad, but with the Nexus 7 + TV Portal + Veetle, all my TV shows are taken care of :)

So after a week or so of light use (indoors only) I've noticed a small nick on the screen which wasn't there before. I use it with the official case.

I'm ultra careful with my gadgets so it's annoying to see.

Watevaman

Looks like I'm going to exchange my N7 due to the creaking that's getting on my nerves. Does the factory data reset clear everything? And will the "Back up my data" option allow me to download everything back onto the new N7 I get or is it only for the same device?

That sounded terrible. I hope you manage to get your hands on one after all that drama :/

On a side note, my N7 died within 2 weeks of purchase (black screen unless plugged in, then showed white static and wouldn't charge) and I had to get a replacement from another Officeworks because the one I got it from ran out of stock...

andycapps

So, somehow my daughter has already cracked the screen on her Nexus 7. Thankfully the extended warranty my mother in law got for her with the tablet covers accidental damage. It's from Staples. So I called them last night and they're emailing a gift certificate so we can go get a new one. Don't have to send the old one in. Now we have to buy a new extended plan since this fulfilled it. No deductible though.

Does anybody want to buy a Nexus 7 with a cracked screen?

So, somehow my daughter has already cracked the screen on her Nexus 7. Thankfully the extended warranty my mother in law got for her with the tablet covers accidental damage. It's from Staples. So I called them last night and they're emailing a gift certificate so we can go get a new one. Don't have to send the old one in. Now we have to buy a new extended plan since this fulfilled it. No deductible though.

Does anybody want to buy a Nexus 7 with a cracked screen?

whoa, whoa, whoa... wait a minute... how much is the Extended Warranty from Staples?

SpecX

whoa, whoa, whoa... wait a minute... how much is the Extended Warranty from Staples?

I think it's an extra $50. I was offered one when I bought one for my wife for the holidays. They guy said it covers any damages and you can even use it to upgrade to a newer device when the newer Nexus 7 comes out.

Blablurn

bought an aweeeesoooome cover for my nexus 7 in china

BADZg0fCUAIgFOr.jpg:large

BADZlkpCAAEAQcR.jpg:large

Pungza

Can anyone recommend a good ps1 emulator, the main ones seem to be fpse and epsxe. Will mainly want to use it for tekken 3 and SF alpha.

Speevy

Banned
Can anyone recommend a good ps1 emulator, the main ones seem to be fpse and epsxe. Will mainly want to use it for tekken 3 and SF alpha.

I think those are the best ones.

Very odd game choices unless you have a controller plugged into it, though.

I wish someone sold a controller shell like those ones for phones that would fit the Nexus 7.

Anyone order a Nexus 7 from the Play Store? I was thinking of just getting one from there since they are available, but should I be worried if for some reason I need it exchanged or something?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Anyone order a Nexus 7 from the Play Store? I was thinking of just getting one from there since they are available, but should I be worried if for some reason I need it exchanged or something?

On my third Nexus 7 since December 24th. Pretty quick and painless exchange. You keep yours until the new one arrives.

BFIB

Good to hear. But now that makes me wonder.. Why are you on your third Nexus? :p

Some had issues with screen creaks, etc.

I've had mine since launch and haven't had any issues. Some just have worst luck than others, but the return process is pretty easy from what I've gathered.

If you're hesitant, don't be. Its a great tablet.

Watevaman

Just got my 2nd Nexus, no screen creak this time!

Edit: Is the Blurex case a good choice for price/function? It looks pretty nice.

Can someone link me to an unbiased, side-by-side comparison between this and the iPad mini?

iPad mini has better build quality, screen on the nexus 7 however looks better/sharper due to higher res and smaller screen. For apps, well that depends on your needs. I just mostly used it for browsing, netflix, youtube, twitchtv, gmail etc so I'm not missing anything.

Top Bottom