• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

I reckon that we will see something at CES as the Nexus 7 was technically introduced then and then Google came in with their deal.

I doubt that we will see it at CES this time around. Wasn't that a sort of prototype anyway? We will see it at I/O certainly though this summer. I'm guessing it will be Tegra 4.

Threi

notag
IPad mini has the far better form factor (4:3 >>>>>>> 16:9/16:10)...from a usability standpoint that's just as important as resolution.

Darknight

Guys I bought a N7 for my mom for Xmas. So now she is hooked on Coin Dozer and since she loves it so much, she wants to like spend real money for coins. This makes me uneasy since I hate that BS but are there other games she can play that are similar and free? That way she can regenerate coins for free on one and play the other one. If this is offtopic, let me know. thanx!

adroit

Guys I bought a N7 for my mom for Xmas. So now she is hooked on Coin Dozer and since she loves it so much, she wants to like spend real money for coins. This makes me uneasy since I hate that BS but are there other games she can play that are similar and free? That way she can regenerate coins for free on one and play the other one. If this is offtopic, let me know. thanx!
There's an Android gaming thread where you might be able to get some suggestions:

Android gaming: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406346

Any chance of getting her addicted to a different type of game like Minecraft Pocket Edition or Survivalcraft? At least you pay only once for those games. Both games have a "peaceful" mode (it's called "harmless" in Survivalcraft) if she doesn't want to do any fighting.

Minecraft Pocket Edition: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mojang.minecraftpe
Survivalcraft: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.candyrufusgames.survivalcraft

coopolon

IPad mini has the far better form factor (4:3 >>>>>>> 16:9/16:10)...from a usability standpoint that's just as important as resolution.

I think this completely a personal preference. I came from ipad and at first I thought I'd hate the widescreen, but I actually really like it and now could never go back to 4:3.

kehs

Banned

The 4:3 ratio is good, but the size they chose to use absolutely blows.

Its just too damned wide. I put my n7 in my back pocket when I walk around the house, and the mini is too wide to fit in there.

dave_m123

Guys,

The ones with the creaky screens..are the ones you are getting back are they fixed? I've heard quite a lot for reports that the replacements still have the problem. Mine has a slight creak when I press in but its not to bad. Not sure what to do with it to be honest.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Guys,

The ones with the creaky screens..are the ones you are getting back are they fixed? I've heard quite a lot for reports that the replacements still have the problem. Mine has a slight creak when I press in but its not to bad. Not sure what to do with it to be honest.

I was just sent brand new Nexus 7s. They had creaky screens.

galdevo

I got mine in the states when they first came out, no cracks or anything. I move back to the Philippines and the speakers stop working properly and I'm wondering what the hell I have to go through to get mine replaced if I bought it in a different country. So far I've just been living with it and using headphones, not ideal for every situation and I can't show it off anymore. :(

Watevaman

Guys,

I bought mine at Staples, returned it within 14 days and my new one doesn't have any problems that I can see. We have two in my house, the 16 gig for my parents came without any problems and it was just my first 32 gig with a bit of a creaky screen.

gcubed

The 4:3 ratio is good, but the size they chose to use absolutely blows.

Its just too damned wide. I put my n7 in my back pocket when I walk around the house, and the mini is too wide to fit in there.

I was playing with a mini the other day. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a smaller tablet, and is therefore near useless for me

womp

Left and right side of the screen creak when you press in slightly.

Mine has done this on the left side since I got it in August. It's never really bothered me much but last night I decided to try the one trick that always seems to work and sure enough, instant results.

The back of the 7 pops off really easy, much like a phone backing would on a Galaxy Nexus for instance. The battery is made to be user replaceable after all.

So taking my fingernail on the corner I basically just popped the entire back off, located all the peripheral screws on the surrounding frame and lightly tightened them up a bit with a small phillips head screwdriver. Then I took the back and simply snapped it back on. Took seconds.

And presto...no more creaking. Worked like a champ. Give it a shot and see if that solves it for you, although YMMV.

dave_m123

Mine has done this on the left side since I got it in August. It's never really bothered me much but last night I decided to try the one trick that always seems to work and sure enough, instant results.

The back of the 7 pops off really easy, much like a phone backing would on a Galaxy Nexus for instance. The battery is made to be user replaceable after all.

So taking my fingernail on the corner I basically just popped the entire back off, located all the peripheral screws on the surrounding frame and lightly tightened them up a bit with a small phillips head screwdriver. Then I took the back and simply snapped it back on. Took seconds.

And presto...no more creaking. Worked like a champ. Give it a shot and see if that solves it for you, although YMMV.

Think I'll try this. I had heard it can come back but no harm in trying :)

womp

Think I'll try this. I had heard it can come back but no harm in trying :)

I think the issue is the big hunk of electrical looking tape they use is 'buldging' the back of the screen and space between. Even with it the back open if you press on the tape you can get a similar creaky sound from it.

dave_m123

I think the issue is the big hunk of electrical looking tape they use is 'buldging' the back of the screen and space between. Even with it the back open if you press on the tape you can get a similar creaky sound from it.

Well I opened it up which was fiddly at the bottom near the ports, I tightened the screws even though they felt very tight anyway, and put it back together and its gone now..how strange. I didnt think I did much to it to be honest.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
3rd Nexus I got has been perfect... finally.

Anyone have tips on how to connect this thing to my PowerPC Mac? Android File Transfer crashes the second I plug it in through USB.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's a dock... It's purpose is to dock the Nexus 7.

Don't really see any other use for a dock, other than docking.

coopolon

It's a dock... It's purpose is to dock the Nexus 7.

Don't really see any other use for a dock, other than docking.

I guess I'm just this stupid then. What's the point of docking? I seem to recall docking adding functionality, like docks for old laptops added more connectivity options. Is it just a fancy way to charge your nexus?

gcubed

I guess I'm just this stupid then. What's the point of docking? I seem to recall docking adding functionality, like docks for old laptops added more connectivity options. Is it just a fancy way to charge your nexus?
i dunno, keeping your wires hooked up so you dont have to plug multiple back in. I would guess its better if you want to hook it up to a stereo or something

Just got my Nexus 7 in the mail from Google Play Store a bit ago. I seem to have gotten a good device luckily! I'm loving it so far.

I am wondering though, how do I remove blank home pages? I am new to Jelly Bean and can't figure it out :p

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So I'm increasingly eager to get one of these, every time I try one in a shop I find myself thinking how good it'd be to grab it. Problem is I should probably wait for my savings to build up a little first, probably a couple of months or so. Is there likely to be a refresh in the summer? If so I'll wait, if not I might bite now...

Just got my Nexus 7 in the mail from Google Play Store a bit ago. I seem to have gotten a good device luckily! I'm loving it so far.

I am wondering though, how do I remove blank home pages? I am new to Jelly Bean and can't figure it out :p

You mean instead of say 5 homescreens you only want like 3? You can use a custom rom like cyanogenmod to set the number of homescreens if this is what you are referring to.

buhdeh

Nova Launcher. Please don't root/install a custom ROM just to change the number of home screens.

So I'm stuck with 5 home screens unless I root? That's kind of weird.. Not a huge deal though I guess.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't realize you could use Nova Launcher without root access. Cool, thanks!

I've been following this thread for a while. Just want to say that I've had my 8GB Nexus 7 since July, and have found no physical defects. I only get the washed out colors sometimes when I exit full screen video, but I think that's normal

Not really but it's overkill (and a waste of time) if all you want to do is lower the number of home screens.

It takes all of 10 minutes to root an N7 though. For all the potentially useful shit you can do after rooting, I wouldn't ever classify it as a waste of time. Not even if the guy can only think of one reason why he'd want root as of now.

Top Bottom