• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Well 10 mins plus the time to backup/restore your device because rooting wipes your device

So, 25 minutes then? :p

There are apps that will back up and restore all your data easily.

Whats the easiest way of rooting an N7?

Search Youtube and Google for 'Wugfresh Nexus toolkit'. It's by far the easiest way to root a Nexus. One click to unlock the bootloader and one click to root the device. Takes about 10 minutes.

So I bought a Nexus 7 today, and it seems to get hung up trying to authenticate my wireless network. Has anyone had this problem? Is my tablet defective?

edit: figured it out. had to change my router to WPA2

No Amazon Instant Video app? Lame. :(

My girlfriend's birthday gift to me was a Portenzo case we ordered before Christmas. Finally got it and, man, I am blown away. It's high quality and so slick looking.

BFIB

So I bought a Nexus 7 today, and it seems to get hung up trying to authenticate my wireless network. Has anyone had this problem? Is my tablet defective?

edit: figured it out. had to change my router to WPA2

No Amazon Instant Video app? Lame. :(
Download boat browser and side load flash. Problem solved.

is there a decent case around 20 eur with

1) sleep/wake up function
2) leather/pseudo leather
3) keyboard would definitely be a plus but nothing i'd die for given that my nexus 7 would become huge...

give me an option with and without the keyboard..
must be able to ship in the whole eu :p (i'm in italy)..
help me gaf! :)

is there a decent case around 20 eur with

1) sleep/wake up function
2) leather/pseudo leather
3) keyboard would definitely be a plus but nothing i'd die for given that my nexus 7 would become huge...

give me an option with and without the keyboard..
must be able to ship in the whole eu :p (i'm in italy)..
help me gaf! :)

I'm also on the lookout for a case. I just want it to be thin and have the auto wake/sleep feature...

What I'd love is something like the official cover, but with the magnet feature and some way to keep the case closed.

gcubed

I'm also on the lookout for a case. I just want it to be thin and have the auto wake/sleep feature...

i just ordered a dodocase. Less chunky then a lot that are out there, more like the Kindle cases that i've used for a while.

0lDL1.jpg

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm looking at buying myself a N7 as a post exam treat, but the Play store for the moment has the 16gb oone out of stock.

Given that I use Play Music for music on the go, I'm trying to think of anything else I might use the extra space for if I were to get the 32gb.

Is there anyone with a 16gb that wishes they had more space? I just want to be able to go for the cheapeast option and be comfortable with space. My phone (Xperia T) is meant to be 16gb but in reality seems to give me ~11-13gb to play around with and this is yet to be anywhere near an issue. What are Nexuses like for the actual storage you get?

I'm looking at buying myself a N7 as a post exam treat, but the Play store for the moment has the 16gb oone out of stock.

Given that I use Play Music for music on the go, I'm trying to think of anything else I might use the extra space for if I were to get the 32gb.

Is there anyone with a 16gb that wishes they had more space? I just want to be able to go for the cheapeast option and be comfortable with space. My phone (Xperia T) is meant to be 16gb but in reality seems to give me ~11-13gb to play around with and this is yet to be anywhere near an issue. What are Nexuses like for the actual storage you get?

I figure it's only $50 for another 16GB. I see no reason NOT to upgrade it at that price.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I figure it's only $50 for another 16GB. I see no reason NOT to upgrade it at that price.

Yeah and it's basically that price in the UK too, I'd just like to be able to save the money if I can because It's money I really shouldn't spend anyway :p

BFIB

I'm fine with the 16 GB, but its only because the 16GB was the highest GB capacity when I bought mine.

I'd go 32.

pr0cs

If anyone is looking for a nice cheap smart cover, I bought a cheap one off of Ebay back in September and I've been please with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-color...es_Covers_Keyboard_Folios&hash=item3a79bbf6ca

It's a little heavier than I'd like, but it's not atrocious looking like the majority of cheap cases I see out there.

I have the same case, it fits awesome, so much so that people think that the N7 comes with it by stock.
The stitching is not the greatest on the edges but the price is good and the screen protector is not too bad so it's a good choice if you want something quick.

Husker86

Fuck. I was hoping for more "Yeah mean it's fine just buy the 16gb"s. I want to save that money :p

Too tempting to say fuckit and get the 32

I'm currently deciding whether I want a Nexus 7 or not and the reports of the 16GB slowing to a crawl when storage gets under ~3GB are scaring me. I haven't found a report that says it has been resolved either, so if one exists let me know! If I do end up getting one I'll probably go 32GB just because of that.

Vyer

So apparently the startup issue pretty much is going to happen each time the battery runs down. Fucking annoying.

Guess I'm going to find out how Support is for this thing.

bonesquad

Fuck. I was hoping for more "Yeah mean it's fine just buy the 16gb"s. I want to save that money :p

Too tempting to say fuckit and get the 32

For what it's worth, I've had a 16GB Nexus 7 for a few months and I only use 5GB or so of the 13 available. I don't store much on the device; no music, videos, photos, ect. Just apps and their data (most are small outside a few games that are over 100MB). Because of that I can't comment on the 3GB bug since it's never gotten that far:)

I store all my music and files on my phone (so 16GB would never be enough there:) So if you don't plan to store that on the Nexus 7 either, or download a bunch of large games, 16GB is probably enough.
Though it never hurts to go larger:p

_Isaac

I have the same case, it fits awesome, so much so that people think that the N7 comes with it by stock.
The stitching is not the greatest on the edges but the price is good and the screen protector is not too bad so it's a good choice if you want something quick.

The stitching is pretty bad. Mine is full of rubbery parts and strings sticking out. It looks ridiculous.

Hieberrr

The stitching is pretty bad. Mine is full of rubbery parts and strings sticking out. It looks ridiculous.

Not as bad as the super cheap $3-5 dollar case I got from ebay
KuGsj.gif
. It's extremely similar to the one posted, but the "leather" is paper thin.

Threi

notag
Got that same case as well (from much much earlier in the thread):

Got another cheapie case for my N7 today (off ebay if any canadians are wondering)

so far: I like it. It's not PU leather so it doesn't stink like the other case, its a more fabricky type of material that is nicer to touch and than the PU leather. It definitely looks a LOT sleeker than the other case (mostly due to the plastic housing being black instead of generic grey). Being a cheapie there are some cut corners here and there (most obvious one to me is they went a little overboard with the glue on the back; didn't need to use so much) but aside from that I can't complain, especially considering the horror stories i've heard (and seen) of the more expensive poetic slimline cases.

Also came with a screen protector, stylus (of matching colour), and cleaning cloth so I'd say it's a better buy than the previous one.

Pics:

It's not "stitched" at all, rather it's pressed together and then die-cutted.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
It's seriously impossible to find a 16gb Nexus 7.
For what it's worth, I ordered one from Walmart.com about 2.5 months ago or so with no trouble. Unless it's become even more popular and is in short supply, perhaps try there if you haven't and are in an area they service.

VanWinkle

For what it's worth, I ordered one from Walmart.com about 2.5 months ago or so with no trouble. Unless it's become even more popular and is in short supply, perhaps try there if you haven't and are in an area they service.

Well, see, 2.5 months ago it was relatively easy to get one. That's about when I bought one for my fiancee for Christmas. It was defective and we returned it the day after Christmas. We STILL haven't been able to replace it with another and I can't really afford to step it up to 32gb right now :( I don't know why it's so hard to find. Even online.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Well, see, 2.5 months ago it was relatively easy to get one. That's about when I bought one for my fiancee for Christmas. It was defective and we returned it the day after Christmas. We STILL haven't been able to replace it with another and I can't really afford to step it up to 32gb right now :( I don't know why it's so hard to find. Even online.

That's rough. Do you have your heart set on the N7? I'd never considered a Kindle Fire before but I'm starting to realize that I use a ton of Amazon's services. Books and music are just so much cheaper there it's ridiculous.

It's getting to the point where if the Fire HD 2 has some kind of nice feature that the eventual Nexus 7-2 or whatever it's called doesn't have, I would honestly consider it.

To be sure the N7 is the better device, but I'm interested by where Amazon goes next. The lending library sounds pretty snazzy, too.

coopolon

That's rough. Do you have your heart set on the N7? I'd never considered a Kindle Fire before but I'm starting to realize that I use a ton of Amazon's services. Books and music are just so much cheaper there it's ridiculous.

It's getting to the point where if the Fire HD 2 has some kind of nice feature that the eventual Nexus 7-2 or whatever it's called doesn't have, I would honestly consider it.

To be sure the N7 is the better device, but I'm interested by where Amazon goes next. The lending library sounds pretty snazzy, too.

While i don't disagree about Amazon's prices, books and music work just as well on a nexus as on a kindle fire. The only thing that is better on the fire is amazon video, and even that you can do on a nexus with a browser that supports flash. And I also imagine a android app is eventually coming but that is not guaranteed.

gcubed

While i don't disagree about Amazon's prices, books and music work just as well on a nexus as on a kindle fire. The only thing that is better on the fire is amazon video, and even that you can do on a nexus with a browser that supports flash. And I also imagine a android app is eventually coming but that is not guaranteed.

yeah, besides instant there really is nothing that the kindle fire offers that makes it a better deal then the Nexus 7, and moreso its a step backwards to the already "light" app scene. Not only locking you onto a form of android, but also locking you in Amazons sliver of the already small portion of Android tablet apps.

I buy most of my books and music through Amazon and can buy, read and listen to them all easily on my nexus 7. One day they will release the instant app for the general android population and give up their slice of exclusivity

that being said, i can't find a single Nexus 7 16gb near me anymore either

Husker86

yeah, besides instant there really is nothing that the kindle fire offers that makes it a better deal then the Nexus 7, and moreso its a step backwards to the already "light" app scene. Not only locking you onto a form of android, but also locking you in Amazons sliver of the already small portion of Android tablet apps.

I buy most of my books and music through Amazon and can buy, read and listen to them all easily on my nexus 7. One day they will release the instant app for the general android population and give up their slice of exclusivity

The free library only works on official Kindles, right? And x-ray? I still wouldn't get a Fire HD over a Nexus but I can see some understandable reasons to do so.

gcubed

The free library only works on official Kindles, right? And x-ray? I still wouldn't get a Fire HD over a Nexus but I can see some understandable reasons to do so.

x-ray is in the ios version, so it may come soon enough. Yes, free only works on official kindles, i'm not saying it doesnt have exclusives, just on a tablet they don't nearly outweigh its drawbacks

coopolon

I did forget about the free lending library. In my experience X-ray is implemented in so few books that it'd be pretty silly to base buying choices around it

this_guy

that being said, i can't find a single Nexus 7 16gb near me anymore either

I have the Kindle Fire HD 8.9", and for the most part I agree. (I also had an iPad 3rd generation but sold it when the 4th generation was announced, and my brother has the Nexus 7). I feel the Nexus is better at feeling more like a tablet, where the Kindle Fire HD is good enough at just the things I need it for. My main usage is web browsing, facebook, and fantasy football, so either tablet can get the job done. I'll take Amazon instant video over rooting/installing roms/swiping through homescreens at lightning speed (watching a video through the browser with Flash just isn't as good). Plus the screen on the 8.9" matches the iPad retina display.

VanWinkle

Yeah, I asked her several times if she wanted to just get the Nook HD or the Kindle Fire HD instead, but she's really set on the Nexus 7.

BFIB

Anyone having any issues with the rooted N7 and the latest firmware? I've noticed that upon waking from sleep, everything in extremely sluggish. Chrome runs like shit sometimes, and when I went to open my Kindle and magazine apps yesterday, they literally took about 3 minutes to load up.

Screen started flickering intermittently on my Nexus 7, just ordered a replacement today.

This will be Nexus number three, hopefully it's more reliable than the first two. ~_~

Screen started flickering intermittently on my Nexus 7, just ordered a replacement today.

This will be Nexus number three, hopefully it's more reliable than the first two. ~_~

And this is why I'm holding off till 2nd gen nexus 7 (or whatever it will be called). As much as I loved the device when I had it, I've had 2 bad ones and I'm not trying for a 3rd.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Got a otg cable and a wired 360 but the few games that recognize it do it sporadically and incorrectly. What do I need to do to fix this?

Grakl

My Nexus 7 that I just bought connected to my school's unencrypted wireless signal earlier, but wont connect to my WPA2 connection at home. It stays at 'Authenticating' and eventually 'Authentication problem'. WPS doesn't work. Sucks.

EDIT: Ahahaha, I'm stupid. I wasn't capitalizing one of the letters! It works now.

Top Bottom