• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Phoenix

Just curious, why would you say this? Are there risks/drawbacks involved in rooting or custom roms?

There are a number of software products that you might want to use that won't work if the device has been rooted - particular the ones involving streaming media and the like.

coopolon

Hmm, when I connect my Nexus 7 to my dekstop PC nothing happens anymore. It charges, but the PC never gives any indication it is aware a device was connected, and no USB options pop up on the NExus 7. It used to work fine. The only problem I can think of is that I recently plugged it into my work laptop. Googling around it seems like this has actually happened to quite a few people.

Anyone have any solutions?

Edit: Nevermind, it was the cable. Switched cables and it all works well now.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Right then, getting my Nexus 7 32gb on Friday. Any good tablet apps I should try out when I first get this thing?

Salaadin

Anyone know why google music wont let me change album art? Im doing it from the website, going to Album info > Change (under the art) and then uploading the image but nothing happens....

Cipherr

Anyone know why google music wont let me change album art? Im doing it from the website, going to Album info > Change (under the art) and then uploading the image but nothing happens....

Its been down for at least 48 hours. I cannot either. Just cannot change album art, or even delete it. Try clicking the x to delete the art; that doesn't work either.

I'm waiting for them to fix whatever they disabled, because that low res album art (or god forbid, flat out incorrect album art) nonsense drives me crazy.

JEKKI

aw mans, I'm really interested in getting one of these.

my question is, is there any reason to purchase it from one place versus another?

thing is, the gamestop down the block from me has them, and I do have $150 in cash on me thanks to selling some old games and making a trip to the coinstar.

however, something in my gut just "feels" like I should jus buy it online directly from google.

yah, stupid predicament, but I dont have any more money to spend this month so I have the next 10+ days to mull over it.

Zaph

aw mans, I'm really interested in getting one of these.

my question is, is there any reason to purchase it from one place versus another?

thing is, the gamestop down the block from me has them, and I do have $150 in cash on me thanks to selling some old games and making a trip to the coinstar.

however, something in my gut just "feels" like I should jus buy it online directly from google.

yah, stupid predicament, but I dont have any more money to spend this month so I have the next 10+ days to mull over it.
The Nexus 7, for as good at it is, has manufacturing issues. If you check the last few pages of this thread, you'll see people returning it 2 or 3 times to get a solid one.

If Gamestop is local and has a pretty good returns policy, I'd go with them. If you do get a dud, it'll be trivial to get it replaced when compared to shipping it back to Google.

flippedb

Banned
How good are these for reading? I have a couple Digital editions of Physics books and I'd like to take them to the Uni. Can I see the chapters and everything as I can on the desktop Adobe Reader app? Or does it work the same as the Android smartphone app?

Watevaman

How good are these for reading? I have a couple Digital editions of Physics books and I'd like to take them to the Uni. Can I see the chapters and everything as I can on the desktop Adobe Reader app? Or does it work the same as the Android smartphone app?

I'm using Mantano Ebook Reader Lite for my engineering book and it's fine. Pinch zoom if needed but I can see everything for the most part.

fritolay

I have enjoyed my N7 for the small things I need. I just read about the Surface Pro and I can't imagine paying $800+ for a tablet after spending 200 on the N7.

JEKKI

The Nexus 7, for as good at it is, has manufacturing issues. If you check the last few pages of this thread, you'll see people returning it 2 or 3 times to get a solid one.

If Gamestop is local and has a pretty good returns policy, I'd go with them. If you do get a dud, it'll be trivial to get it replaced when compared to shipping it back to Google.
how soon would u guys say these manufacturing issues become apparent? like out the box or in a few weeks?

coz I think gamestop's exchange policy is 30 days, but it's freakin gamestop so yeay right I trust them -_-

I mean if I do buy it there I'll definitely talk to the salesperson prior to purchase, but knowing any gamestop employee they'll jus say nice things to secure the sale and if anything really comes down to it and I have to go back they'll be like "uhhhhh no?"

-EDIT-

okay reading back a few pages, it seems the Google RMA process is quite painless, if the situation were to occur that I would need to exchange it (fingers crossed!!)

so I may jus trust my gut on order directly from google.

the cons of that would be:

might possibly have to pay for shipping?
gotta wait between order and delivery
$250+ out of my bank account

but the pro is I still got $150 cash in my pocket!! I might make it thru february without going to the ATM!! lol

Willectro

Banned
I received my Otterbox on Friday. It was a little bit pricey ($69.99) but the case is near perfect (imo). For me it makes the device easier to hold and protects it when I want to toss it in a backpack. The stand is half decent and the power/volume buttons are very easy to press. My only complaint is that the screen protector could be better (less glossy), but this seems like it would only be an issue outside. Overall 9/10.

andycapps

how soon would u guys say these manufacturing issues become apparent? like out the box or in a few weeks?

coz I think gamestop's exchange policy is 30 days, but it's freakin gamestop so yeay right I trust them -_-

I mean if I do buy it there I'll definitely talk to the salesperson prior to purchase, but knowing any gamestop employee they'll jus say nice things to secure the sale and if anything really comes down to it and I have to go back they'll be like "uhhhhh no?"

-EDIT-

okay reading back a few pages, it seems the Google RMA process is quite painless, if the situation were to occur that I would need to exchange it (fingers crossed!!)

so I may jus trust my gut on order directly from google.

the cons of that would be:

might possibly have to pay for shipping?
gotta wait between order and delivery
$250+ out of my bank account

but the pro is I still got $150 cash in my pocket!! I might make it thru february without going to the ATM!! lol

The other option is Staples. Their extended warranty is only $40 and I already had to use it on my daughter's N7. Just called them and they emailed us a gift certificate.

hoverX

What are you connecting to? I'm unable (and so are lots of others) to get a connection with my phone. It pairs but the connection doesn't work.

JEKKI

The other option is Staples. Their extended warranty is only $40 and I already had to use it on my daughter's N7. Just called them and they emailed us a gift certificate.
I sold a stack of old video games and broke a piggy bank to earn the $150 in my wallet.

like hellz do I have an extra $40 lol

PyZcyPb.jpg

vdlow

What are you connecting to? I'm unable (and so are lots of others) to get a connection with my phone. It pairs but the connection doesn't work.

Recently I connected to my BT headphones. And can't remember if I was already in 4.2.1 the last time I connected to my phone.

Cindres

Just picked up my N7 today, still got one more exam tomorrow though so it's sitting in the box until then.

Cindres

Ugh! Must be killing you! Enjoy when you finally get to crack it open though!

I took it out to charge it fully, but thats all, it's now back in the box (not been turned on). Me and my coursemate that got one have an agreement we don't actually use them until we hit the pub at 11am tomorrow after the exam.

But yeah, it's fucking killer not being able to use it.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I took it out to charge it fully, but thats all, it's now back in the box (not been turned on). Me and my coursemate that got one have an agreement we don't actually use them until we hit the pub at 11am tomorrow after the exam.

But yeah, it's fucking killer not being able to use it.

Sounds like a great plan. I don't know how much I like the idea of tablets and alcohol in such close proximity, though. Have fun and good luck.

I sold a stack of old video games and broke a piggy bank to earn the $150 in my wallet.

like hellz do I have an extra $40 lol

PyZcyPb.jpg

Staples warranty is pretty nice. I work there and it's actually useful on tablets and such. If your tablet breaks in a year, you can just get the upgraded model for the same cost.

UrgentPS

Neo Member
crap. received mine today, 32gb version. played with it for 10 minutes, then it suddenly shuts down, while charging. or so i thought :( turns out the battery died, tried everything, but no luck. apparently this is a common issue? tried the 30 sec power button thing, but nothing.

called the retailer and they will replace it. guess i'll have to wait another week. shame really, the first 10 minutes were great! :eek:

crap. received mine today, 32gb version. played with it for 10 minutes, then it suddenly shuts down, while charging. or so i thought :( turns out the battery died, tried everything, but no luck. apparently this is a common issue? tried the 30 sec power button thing, but nothing.

called the retailer and they will replace it. guess i'll have to wait another week. shame really, the first 10 minutes were great! :eek:

Did you try holding the power button and the volume up button?

knitoe

I still don't understand why it powering up is a pain in the ass. You should only need to press the power button 3-5 sec for it to boot up. Instead, you have to hold it for around 30 sec, and during that time, pray it's not dead until something displays. And, given one of the most shit standby time, if I forget to recharge in 2-3 days which often happens, I have to repeat this crap over and over. Compare to my iPhone, iPad and Windows 7 tablet which only drops about ~3% per day.

buhdeh

I still don't understand why it powering up is a pain in the ass. You should only need to press the power button 3-5 sec for it to boot up. Instead, you have to hold it for around 30 sec, and during that time, pray it's not dead until something displays. And, given one of the most shit standby time, if I forget to recharge in 2-3 days which often happens, I have to repeat this crap over and over. Compare to my iPhone, iPad and Windows 7 tablet which only drops about ~3% per day.

Yeah the standby time on this thing is messed up. I can leave my iPad on standby with wifi on for like 2 weeks without recharging. The N7 would probably be lucky to get a few days. I've just gotten used to turning wifi off on the N7 when not in use but I don't think I should have to do that.

Threi

notag
After handling a friend's nexus 7 i wonder if the "creaky screen" is an actual problem, or if everyone is confusing it for the plastic back flexing. I say that because if you squeeze at the corner you can definitely hear the creak, but if you look at the back closely (and hold the device to your ear) you can tell that its not the screen or chassis doing it at all, but rather the plastic backing (squeezing the screen with the backing off is proof of this)

I still have a launch unit with none of these issues, so i havent gotten a real chance to experience it myself.

Rengoku

My friend's Nexus 7 had issues charging too. He brought in for me to take a look at today. The battery was completely dead, and sometimes the backlight of the screen would turn on, but it would be completely blank. Other times, the blank screen would have a ton of flickering pixels. I managed to get it to boot to the bootloader once, but it still crapped out after about a minute or so.

Finally I decided to open up the tablet. turns out the back cover pops out pretty easily, you just need a small spudger tool, or something like a guitar pick to carefully release the clips around the edges. After taking off the back cover, you could immediately tell what the problem was. The frame that houses the battery pack is much wider than the battery itself, so if its not taped down properly, the battery pack will slide around and eventually pull out the pin connector from its slot. The connector I saw was already loose when I opened the case. I added some more adhesive tape to hold down the battery, and then reconnected the pin connector and the tablet powered up fine afterward.

UrgentPS

Neo Member
My friend's Nexus 7 had issues charging too. He brought in for me to take a look at today. The battery was completely dead, and sometimes the backlight of the screen would turn on, but it would be completely blank. Other times, the blank screen would have a ton of flickering pixels. I managed to get it to boot to the bootloader once, but it still crapped out after about a minute or so.

Finally I decided to open up the tablet. turns out the back cover pops out pretty easily, you just need a small spudger tool, or something like a guitar pick to carefully release the clips around the edges. After taking off the back cover, you could immediately tell what the problem was. The frame that houses the battery pack is much wider than the battery itself, so if its not taped down properly, the battery pack will slide around and eventually pull out the pin connector from its slot. The connector I saw was already loose when I opened the case. I added some more adhesive tape to hold down the battery, and then reconnected the pin connector and the tablet powered up fine afterward.

Yeah read about that too, but was too scared to try it for myself. If the second one turns out to have the same issues, I'll give this method a try thanks! :)

Cindres

Got it out of the box yesterday, oh man this thing is so nice, so good.

Was always concerned that 7" would be too small but after using this then handling a 10" tablet, the size is spot on and bigger tablets feel too big to me.

Vyer

Charging issue and battery drain were pissing me off enough that I went ahead and reset to see if its some sort of software or app issue. If the charging problem is hardware related like mentioned above I suppose it won't matter. But I have noticed an improvement in the battery life it seems.

Locke_211

I got one!

It seems amazing so far. Two quick questions I'm sure I could easily find in the manual, but:

How do you get to the non-mobile versions of websites? Can you default to the non-mobile versions? (Edit: never mind, I worked this one out!)

Does it always turn on on the My Library screen, rather than one that has all my apps listed?

EDIT: oh my god, I'd never even heard of Final Fantasy Dimensions

I got one!

It seems amazing so far. Two quick questions I'm sure I could easily find in the manual, but:

How do you get to the non-mobile versions of websites? Can you default to the non-mobile versions? (Edit: never mind, I worked this one out!)

Does it always turn on on the My Library screen, rather than one that has all my apps listed?

EDIT: oh my god, I'd never even heard of Final Fantasy Dimensions

Just move the my library to a different screen. Long press>drag elsewhere :)

Charging issue and battery drain were pissing me off enough that I went ahead and reset to see if its some sort of software or app issue. If the charging problem is hardware related like mentioned above I suppose it won't matter. But I have noticed an improvement in the battery life it seems.

Did that end up fixing it for you?

I've been noticing my battery draining faster than normal. I downloaded CPUSpy and it looks like my CPU is never going into the "deep sleep" state, something is keeping it permanently awake it seems.

Calmine

I'm seriously loving the new PIE update to PARANOIDANDROID. Expanded desktop so full screen tablet use. Want navigation bar swipe up and it appears to go back, home etc. So good.

Top Bottom