• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

What the hell, I went ahead and just ordered an Nexus 7 8GB. I dunno how wise it was having a Verizon SGS3 on the way. But all the hype suckered me in.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Still nothing on my account and I ordered on the 29th

It's a little frustrating that they are not firming up dates. It's 2012, there needs to be a better system to track your order.

e_i

Still nothing on my account and I ordered on the 29th

It's a little frustrating that they are not firming up dates. It's 2012, there needs to be a better system to track your order.

Yeah, I hate Google Wallet's order tracking.

Slime

Banned
Ordered on the 29th, charges were pending and funds unavailable, but as of the 7th...the funds are back and that transaction is crossed out.

Haven't received any word from Google about the status of my order changing, and it's still listed as "Complete" on the Wallet tracker, but I'm starting to get a little concerned. Is this just how Google's pre-orders work, and they'll charge me for real when they're ready? Don't think I've ever pre-ordered anything that didn't charge me immediately, so it's possible I'm freaking out over nothing.

Izick

Fuck, I have such shitty luck. If I had just had these car problems a week or so later, I could have gotten this at launch and fixed my car with a lot of money to spare....I'm a little pissed right now.

RGM79

Ordered the 16GB online with staples canada yesterday, got a message today saying my card was declined because it's an "international card".

It's a Vancity prepaid visa, I've never had this problem before with these cards. Called customer service, they said they'd reprocess the order and have a note attached to it saying "canadian prepaid card", hopefully it will go through again. They won't let me pay on pickup, I guess because this was a preorder.

If it won't, I'll be waiting for a second shipment, I guess.

Panda Rin

Now the Nexus 7 page is down on the Gamestop website.

This whole situation is making me crazy :(. I've turned into a Nexus 7 release date worshipper..

Izick

Why do I keep watching N7 reviews?....

hDA3c.gif

SuperPac

I ordered one via Google Play on July 3rd, other than the initial authorization no charge has appeared on my CC yet. It would be very cool if it shipped tomorrow for delivery on Friday. I'm an iOS diehard but I owned a Nexus One before (without phone service, got it at a GDC giveaway). When it arrives I plan to put away the iPad for at least a week to get reacquainted with Android and judge the 7" form factor.

Owzers

Just checked my Staples order status out of curiosity and it says "canceled", what in the name of fuck GAF?

:( That sucks. I was wanting to order one today as i posttttttted and it said it was currently out of stock, i'm guessing they took too many orders and are now slashing some. *reads post below* Or maybe not.

I don't care if i don't get it right when it comes out, but i want that $25 google play credit Xo.

dwebo

Just checked my Staples order status out of curiosity and it says "canceled", what in the name of fuck GAF?

they all get cancelled after initial processing, since staples apparently has no system in place to track pre-orders

the orders will get re-initiated once they have stock, or at least that's what the person said when I called the other day

they all get cancelled after initial processing, since staples apparently has no system in place to track pre-orders

the orders will get re-initiated once they have stock, or at least that's what the person said when I called the other day

I really hope you're right, cause I was right on the google add payment page before I decided to check in on this thread again. Oy, I called Gamestop today and they said they weren't sure when the tablets were coming in, they gave the same response that others got "they WERE going to be in stock on the 12th, but now we have no idea, it's up to Google"

Emily Chu

Banned
I really hope you're right, cause I was right on the google add payment page before I decided to check in on this thread again. Oy, I called Gamestop today and they said they weren't sure when the tablets were coming in, they gave the same response that others got "they WERE going to be in stock on the 12th, but now we have no idea, it's up to Google"

The gamestop guy told me even if they had it in stock on the 12th they can't legally sell it until
Asus and Google has set a street date for the damn thing.....

Sigh.....

bjscott05

Person I talked to said the same thing. No reason to worry.

kehs

Banned
Just got an email from JR about inventory, which says it's automated for pre orders. I can only assume there's stuff happening in the inventory, which is a good sign.

giga

Just got an email from JR about inventory, which says it's automated for pre orders. I can only assume there's stuff happening in the inventory, which is a good sign.

If this is a "special order" or a "pre-order" item, please be aware that this email is automatically sent on all orders that are waiting for stock to arrive. There is no need to contact us for a substitution on pre-orders or special orders.
Yep

Cartman86

Banned
I don't know if this was ever clarified in this thread since we started talking about it, but this person claims that his method of USB OTG adapter will allow for external storage without having to copy files over to the device. This was a problem initially when the first person tried to figure this out. Maybe this had since been corrected and I wasn't aware.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I don't know if this was ever clarified in this thread since we started talking about it, but this person claims that his method of USB OTG adapter will allow for external storage without having to copy files over to the device. This was a problem initially when the first person tried to figure this out. Maybe this had since been corrected and I wasn't aware.
The issue has already been fixed. The StickMount app has been updated to support Jelly Bean. Proper USB mounting will probably be natively included in ROMS as well.

It's not looking good for UK orders being here this week.
I'm guessing it would mean them shipping today as the 12th July is a public holiday in Ireland (where they're shipping from) and would mean no postal service (unless TNT operate outside of this).

I just know the bugger is going to turn up at the end of the week when no one is in meaning it can't be redelivered until the next week.

JordanKZ

It's not looking good for UK orders being here this week.
I'm guessing it would mean them shipping today as the 12th July is a public holiday in Ireland (where they're shipping from) and would mean no postal service (unless TNT operate outside of this).

I just know the bugger is going to turn up at the end of the week when no one is in meaning it can't be redelivered until the next week.

My guess is they get shipped at some point next week. This week is looking increasingly unlikely, let's be honest.

Danj

These devices are cool and all, and I might well buy one for my mum, but with it being Wifi only, I'm having trouble finding a compelling reason why I should buy one. Is there a killer app for these devices? While I agree with the whole "holy crap a Tegra 3 tablet with 4.1 for less than 200 bucks" point of view it just isn't enough to make me rush out and order one.

My guess is they get shipped at some point next week. This week is looking increasingly unlikely, let's be honest.

Yep, I was hoping that the signs of stores like Gamestop receiving them in the US would indicate a simultaneous world wide launch, but I think I'm expecting too much there.

These devices are cool and all, and I might well buy one for my mum, but with it being Wifi only, I'm having trouble finding a compelling reason why I should buy one. Is there a killer app for these devices? While I agree with the whole "holy crap a Tegra 3 tablet with 4.1 for less than 200 bucks" point of view it just isn't enough to make me rush out and order one.

For me it's the allure of an e-reader that I can also use for ScummVM/Dosbox/AGS/games from the market place on the go. I have my SII and that serves it's purpose as a phone perfectly but the above tasks are much more troublesome on a smaller screen.

iPad 3 is significantly more powerful, but it has a significantly higher resolution meaning that's what the system is using those resources for, usually. Is sometimes performs worse than even the iPad 2 for that reason.

iPad 3 only has a Dual Core ARM Cotex-A9 CPU @ 1.2Ghz where N7 has a Quad Core ARM Cotex-A9 CPU @ 1.3Ghz + 1x500Mhz companion core. Both CPU's have 1MB of shared cache.
*CPU benchmarks show N7 beating the iPad3 by a little over 2x.

As for the GPU benchmarks the iPad 3 definitely looks faster than hell but, I'd expect to see some things still working better on the N7 like say any kind of added CPU based physics or Tegra based effects. Also, only games that are retina enabled will take advantage of the higher resolution and some may even simply upscale.

All told, iPad3 probably has the better hardware as a whole (although, I'll take a Note 10.1 with Wacom please) but, the real fight will be iPad Mini vs Nexus 7.

derExperte

Kindle Fire 2, Nexus 7, and iPad Mini are all likely to be pretty solid 7' inch tablets and excel in different ways.

Didn't you say a week or so ago that the Fire and Nexus are already dead in the water with the iPadM arriving? What changed your mind?

And damn, it won't be released here before September. Jealous of all the pre-order status reports, consider yourselves lucky. :|

tino

Banned

So you want to pay 30 a month data fee for a $200 tablet. Who is going to pay for that data fee? You or your mom?

Danj

So you want to pay 30 a month data fee for a $200 tablet. Who is going to pay for that data fee? You or your mom?

I'm in the UK, Wifi isn't available everywhere yet so it would be useful to have 3G capability. Also, who says I'd put a monthly contract SIM in it? Could just get a Pay As You Go SIM and put that in it.

EDIT: just to clarify, in my original post I meant that my mum would be fine with a Wifi-only tablet, but I wouldn't.

zbeeb

I'm in the UK, Wifi isn't available everywhere yet so it would be useful to have 3G capability. Also, who says I'd put a monthly contract SIM in it? Could just get a Pay As You Go SIM and put that in it.

EDIT: just to clarify, in my original post I meant that my mum would be fine with a Wifi-only tablet, but I wouldn't.

I wouldn't expect a nexus tablet will ever have a 3g option. Google hates dealing with carriers.

Hotspot your phone?

mil6es

As above has stated, hot spot your phone, I'm on o2 and they include teathering with your normal data plan, I just up'd my data plan from 1gig to 2gig because I know I'm gonna be teathering the fuck out of it

iPad 3 only has a Dual Core ARM Cotex-A9 CPU @ 1.2Ghz where N7 has a Quad Core ARM Cotex-A9 CPU @ 1.3Ghz + 1x500Mhz companion core. Both CPU's have 1MB of shared cache.
*CPU benchmarks show N7 beating the iPad3 by a little over 2x.

As for the GPU benchmarks the iPad 3 definitely looks faster than hell but, I'd expect to see some things still working better on the N7 like say any kind of added CPU based physics or Tegra based effects. Also, only games that are retina enabled will take advantage of the higher resolution and some may even simply upscale.

All told, iPad3 probably has the better hardware as a whole (although, I'll take a Note 10.1 with Wacom please) but, the real fight will be iPad Mini vs Nexus 7.

indeed. iPad 2 performs better than the new iPad in GFX due to the the new iPad's resolution bump.

Owzers

office depot has it up for pre-order, i put one in....but who knows if i shall keep it. Mainly want to make sure i get the $25 credit since they won't say when exactly that promotion ends.

I'm so tempted to get this but I think I'm going to hold out and hope that the Nexus 10 rumors are true. I've yet to buy into the tablet market but with all these glowing reviews and that awesome price point, it's hard to say no. My mom has been eyeing this since it was announced and, if she gets it, I'll be able to try it and make a better decision on whether or not to wait.

DagsJT

I'd rather they spent the time getting the product out to people who have actually ordered the device. The lack of a firm release/delivery date is annoying me now.

BFIB

Things do seem to be turning sour on a lot of other forums regarding the nexus release.

Case in point, Gamestop was informing some of its customers that they will be available the 12th. Now apparently a new email has come from corporate telling their employee that the "target" date is July 31st.

Google needs to stop being vague. Obviously they are having no problems pushing this to reviewers, so they need to start pushing to customers.

tfur

I am surprised Apple did not try to have an injunction placed on this device. It is rectangular after all.

I wonder how much of these recent launch delays are related to the lawyers.

dwebo

Things do seem to be turning sour on a lot of other forums regarding the nexus release.

Case in point, Gamestop was informing some of its customers that they will be available the 12th. Now apparently a new email has come from corporate telling their employee that the "target" date is July 31st.

Google needs to stop being vague. Obviously they are having no problems pushing this to reviewers, so they need to start pushing to customers.

the 12th has been echoed by a few retailers, so it was as firm a "release" date as anything. if it's been pushed back to the 31st, that'd be terrible

also, I think reviewers are all using the pre-production models given out at google i/o

bjscott05

Valued Staples customer,

Thank you for selecting a Google Nexus tablet during our pre-sale campaign. As this is a pre-sale, the order number assigned when you pre-ordered (Staples order number above) will not provide valid tracking information and at some point will show a status of cancelled when tracked on Staples.com. We want to assure you we have reserved your Nexus and it will ship between July 12th and July 17th with a transit time of 1 - 3 business days. You will receive your order number that can be tracked when the product ships and your credit card will be charged at that time.

Looks like stapeles is sticking to that release frame...hopefully

Top Bottom