• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

santouras

It's not only meaningless, it's flat out wrong. H5 isn't far superior in every way and it can't do everything Flash can. Maybe in the future but not now. Video playback capabilities are limited and slower, browsers support different codecs, no DRM, no support of external devices like a camera and it's more complicated and inefficient to do certain things. In an ideal world both would work alongside utilizing everyones strengths but now we have this useless 'war' between both camps. Thanks to whoever started it.

chrome has joined opera in being able to access webcam which is nice

also I am really annoyed chrome mobile can't use flash. very annoyed. Not everyone has switched to html5 for video content

Izick

chrome has joined opera in being able to access webcam which is nice

also I am really annoyed chrome mobile can't use flash. very annoyed. Not everyone has switched to html5 for video content

The majority of people haven't.

Nothing really. Just that various rumors and sources (one guy here even said Google verified his tablet as shipping out tomorrow) have pointed to a supposed ship date of July 12th. We'll see how things shape up tomorrow is all I'm saying.

Oh I see. Hopefully we'll at least get a date tomorrow, if not people getting their shipments in.

santouras

Will the American/UK edition only have English dictionary?
Maybe somebody could send me a PM if it has Danish dictionary?

I have JB running on my Galaxy Nexus and you can most certainly choose to use Dansk for the phone language but there is no option to change to Dansk for any of the voice related functions...

Pachimari

I got a Galaxy Nexus too with Jelly Bean with Danish keyboard but no Danish dictionary after I flashed and rooted it. But I'm curious if the Nexus 7 will have a Danish dictionary (not voice stuff) by default.

santouras

So I was just thinking, the Youtube app obviously doesn't use Flash, so does it just use HTML5?

I don't think it uses html5 either.... html is rendered in a web browser. YouTube app is a proper app, wouldn't use the browser.

I got a Galaxy Nexus too with Jelly Bean with Danish keyboard but no Danish dictionary after I flashed and rooted it. But I'm curious if the Nexus 7 will have a Danish dictionary (not voice stuff) by default.

gotcha, sorry for the confusion

Izick

Oh, my bad, I really don't know much about tablets and apps if it weren't apparent already, I'm not quite sure how everything works yet.

santouras

A native app on android/ios/blackberry/wm/etc is akin to native applications on your computer, like VLC, Media Player, iTunes etc. Whilst they might embed browsers at times (steam/winamp) a lot of the time the code is native and compiled to that operating system. A web application can be read by any browser, be it desktop or app. Browsers traditionally had limited functionality and needed plugins such as flash/shockwave/svg but now a lot of this functionality is being built into the browser itself. Some of the core improvements in html5 are trying to replace what was previously handled by plugins, but they still have a ways to go before everything is replaced, and then of course before all the browser makers impliment them in a standard way.

Maybe 5-6 years down the track we'll see almost all mobile applications being written in html, but we are a long way off it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So I was just thinking, the Youtube app obviously doesn't use Flash, so does it just use HTML5?

Err, I think you're a bit confused about how the tech works.

So on Google's servers, they have a bunch of MP4/H.264 and WebM/VP8 files for every single video on YouTube. When you hit a YouTube video up in your browser, to make a long story short, Flash or the HTML5 video tag downloads those files to your browser cache and allows you to play and interact with them.

The YouTube app basically does the same thing but uses an embedded native Android video player.

Chili

Called Google to cancel my 8GB order and keep the 16GB but they said it was too late and has already started shipping. But he couldn't give me more of an estimate other than they are hoping to ship it out by the end of this week or failing that the end of next week. They are using TNT in the UK.

Called Google to cancel my 8GB order and keep the 16GB but they said it was too late and has already started shipping. But he couldn't give me more of an estimate other than they are hoping to ship it out by the end of this week or failing that the end of next week. They are using TNT in the UK.

they are shipping soon in uk? niiice. They didn't reply to my email.

I heard Play movies and music aren't available on this device in the UK?

So, stores are getting these before Google themselves send them out? Errrghh.

At Staples we actually have the Nexus 7's in store for customers who wanted to pick it up, they just got pushed back until Staples actually ships them to other customers. I couldn't find the boxes though, they must have been locked up.

Izick

Err, I think you're a bit confused about how the tech works.

So on Google's servers, they have a bunch of MP4/H.264 and WebM/VP8 files for every single video on YouTube. When you hit a YouTube video up in your browser, to make a long story short, Flash or the HTML5 video tag downloads those files to your browser cache and allows you to play and interact with them.

The YouTube app basically does the same thing but uses an embedded native Android video player.

Yeah, the guy actually corrected me about this too. I wil freely admit I don't know much about tablets and the like, so thanks for explaining how that shit works.

Salaadin

I wish google would say something already. I have no problem waiting for my google play order but Id like to know when theyre sending it out. They wouldnt let me cancel my preorder the other day because it was ready to be shipped according to the rep but theres still all this hoopla about shipments going in waves and I have no idea where I fall or if thats even true at all.

DagsJT

I'm not even sure if they're allowed to not let you cancel bearing in mind the official status on people's order doesn't say "Shipped" yet. They've not taken money, they've not shipped, I'm sure you should be well within your rights to cancel now.

Far from impressed with how Google/Asus have handled this really. Third party stores shouldn't be giving out more info on release dates than Google/Asus themselves.

Poor PR in my opinion. Not sure I'd bother ordering from Google again.

I've said it before but I am starting to get a bit pissed at this now.
I have no idea how ebuyer can guarantee delivery tomorrow when Google's own orders cost £9.99 postage and are only 2 day delivery. As far as I'm aware TNT doesn't operate on a Saturday (for normal costs anyway) which means we won't get them until at least Monday now.
I only ordered from Google because at the time it seemed like you only got the free play credit by ordering through the store and now it seems you get it with every order.

I'd cancel but it seems that for at least a week Google have been denying cancellations based on the grounds that the orders are being shipped out yet it seems only to major retailers. Even HMV in store are advertising them in stock for Monday at the same cost. I'm sure as hell not pre-ordering a Google product again, I might as well wait until general release and actually get it cheaper.

JordanKZ

I've said it before but I am starting to get a bit pissed at this now.
I have no idea how ebuyer can guarantee delivery tomorrow when Google's own orders cost £9.99 postage and are only 2 day delivery. As far as I'm aware TNT doesn't operate on a Saturday (for normal costs anyway) which means we won't get them until at least Monday now.
I only ordered from Google because at the time it seemed like you only got the free play credit by ordering through the store and now it seems you get it with every order.

I'd cancel but it seems that for at least a week Google have been denying cancellations based on the grounds that the orders are being shipped out yet it seems only to major retailers. Even HMV in store are advertising them in stock for Monday at the same cost. I'm sure as hell not pre-ordering a Google product again, I might as well wait until general release and actually get it cheaper.

Completely agree. At this rate they'll be shipped out on Monday. I swear if I could just cancel my order online I'd buy with ebuyer right now. They use a great courier up here which guarantees next day delivery. TNT comes via a courier that can hold onto your package for a fucking week before they decide to do anything with it. It's often easier to walk to the depot and get it yourself...

surly

Banned
I assumed that ordering from Google was the only way to get the £15 of Play Store credit. I also assumed that ordering from Google would guarantee that I would receive the device at the earliest possible date.

I'm a bit annoyed that I could order this from eBuyer and get it tomorrow, for £9 cheaper than I paid and still with with the £15 of Play Store credit.

That's what I get for making assumptions I guess, but it is still a little disappointing!

The free content that UK folks get....

Movie: Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Book: Only Time Will Tell by Jeffrey Archer
Is nowhere near as good as what US folks get either: -

Movie: Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Music:

Coldplay - “Paradise”, from Mylo Xyloto
Rolling Stones - “It's Only Rock N Roll (live)”, from L.A. Friday (Live, 1975)
Busta Rhymes - “Why Stop Now”
Caribou - “Odessa”, from Swim
Merle Haggard - “Pretty When It's New”, from I Am What I Am
Ingrid Michaelson - “Sort Of (Live@Google)”
Wild Flag - “Romance”, from Wild Flag
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - “Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth (Live@Google)”
Tom Morello - “Save the Hammer For The Man (Live@Google)”
Sharon Van Etten - “Leonard”, from Tramp
Paul Van Dyk - “Verano”, from Evolution
M. Ward - “Primitive Girl”, from A Wasteland Companion
Pains of Being Pure at Heart - “Heart in Your Heartbreak”, from Belong
Thievery Corporation - “Culture of Fear”, from Culture of Fear
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - “Man on Fire”, from Here
De La Soul's Plug 1 & Plug 2 Present - “Must B The Music”, from First Serve
Wye Oak - “Civilian”, from Civilian
JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound - “Sister Ray Charles (Live From The Lot)”
Delta Spirit - “California”, from Delta Spirit
Eskmo - “Exclusive Ninja Tune Mix”

Magazines:

Esquire June/July 2012
Food Network July/August 2012
Family Circle July 2012
Popular Science July 2012
Conde Nast Traveler July 2012

Book: Robert Ludlum’s The Bourne Dominion
And $25 is more than £15.

is it just in my head or google wallet just change the 'pre-order' to 'order'? When i pre-ordered it, it said pre-order if i'm not wrong.

my cc hasn't been charged yet, but it might only show up 1/2 days late anyway.

I'm getting very impatient, but i must say not as bad when samsung delayed pebble blue gs3.

and i agree with the general sentiment about pre-ordering from gplay. They botched the preorders.

Completely agree. At this rate they'll be shipped out on Monday. I swear if I could just cancel my order online I'd buy with ebuyer right now. They use a great courier up here which guarantees next day delivery. TNT comes via a courier that can hold onto your package for a fucking week before they decide to do anything with it. It's often easier to walk to the depot and get it yourself...

This and the closest TNT depot to collect from is miles away, I hope they can rearrange delivery for the next day because I'll probably be at work when it turns up. I was going to have it delivered to work but then knowing my luck, it would turn up on a Saturday. I wonder if TNT allow the change of delivery address as Google are refusing it.

is it just in my head or google wallet just change the 'pre-order' to 'order'? When i pre-ordered it, it said pre-order if i'm not wrong.

my cc hasn't been charged yet, but it might only show up 1/2 days late anyway.

I'm getting very impatient, but i must say not as bad when samsung delayed pebble blue gs3.

and i agree with the general sentiment about pre-ordering from gplay. They botched the preorders.

I've got a feeling it's always shown as 'order' the copy sent to my gmail address states 'order'. Although it does concern me that everyone states they show a status of 'complete'.

JordanKZ

This and the closest TNT depot to collect from is miles away, I hope they can rearrange delivery for the next day because I'll probably be at work when it turns up. I was going to have it delivered to work but then knowing my luck, it would turn up on a Saturday. I wonder if TNT allow the change of delivery address as Google are refusing it.

Lol, I live in Shetland (tiny island off the coast of Scotland) and we have local couriers who handle packages. One of them is notoriously terrible, which happens to be the one who is handling my Nexus 7, of course. I might call Google now and see if I can cancel my order over the phone...

EDIT: By the time I've called Google, they will have run out anyway. Fucks sake.

Lol, I live in Shetland (tiny island off the coast of Scotland) and we have local couriers who handle packages. One of them is notoriously terrible, which happens to be the one who is handling my Nexus 7, of course. I might call Google now and see if I can cancel my order over the phone...

EDIT: By the time I've called Google, they will have run out anyway. Fucks sake.

It's not the Home Delivery Network is it? If so then godspeed!

RGM79

At Staples we actually have the Nexus 7's in store for customers who wanted to pick it up, they just got pushed back until Staples actually ships them to other customers. I couldn't find the boxes though, they must have been locked up.

Any idea when they'll be available for pickup?

Salaadin

I'm not even sure if they're allowed to not let you cancel bearing in mind the official status on people's order doesn't say "Shipped" yet. They've not taken money, they've not shipped, I'm sure you should be well within your rights to cancel now.

This is what irritates me the most. It feels like Im stuck in this google play preorder. Only other options are to call them up and get a little pushy to see if they cancel it then or wait for them to ship it and return it when it gets here.

This is all assuming that I can find it elsewhere. If I walk into Staples monday and see one and google is still beating around the bush, Im buying it.

suedester

Banned
This is what irritates me the most. It feels like Im stuck in this google play preorder. Only other options are to call them up and get a little pushy to see if they cancel it then or wait for them to ship it and return it when it gets here.

This is all assuming that I can find it elsewhere. If I walk into Staples monday and see one and google is still beating around the bush, Im buying it.

I've just decided to buy it from ebuyer even though I have a preorder with Google. Will ship today for delivery tomorrow. Just need to decide what to do about that preorder now. It is pretty ridiculous that I can't cancel the preorder even though they don't know when it will ship.

surly

Banned
I've had similar issues with other companies where they say "it's reached the order picking stage, so we can't cancel it".

In the UK, if you cancel an order and it is still sent out, you are entitled to refuse delivery of the goods under the Distance Selling Regulations and the company must refund you within 30 days regardless of whether they get the goods back from the carrier. I'm not sure if this includes the cost of shipping the item to you, so you may be down £9.99 in this case, but then eBuyer is £9 cheaper anyway so you would essentially be paying 99p more to have it tomorrow.

DagsJT

I've had similar issues with other companies where they say "it's reached the order picking stage, so we can't cancel it".

In the UK, if you cancel an order and it is still sent out, you are entitled to refuse delivery of the goods under the Distance Selling Regulations and the company must refund you within 30 days regardless of whether they get the goods back from the carrier. I'm not sure if this includes the cost of shipping the item to you, so you may be down £9.99 in this case, but then eBuyer is £9 cheaper anyway so you would essentially be paying 99p more to have it tomorrow.

Unfortunately you'd still need £199 to buy it from eBuyer now, then get charged by Google whenever they can be bothered to ship, then wait weeks for the refund.

All just a bit messy.

JordanKZ

I've just decided to buy it from ebuyer even though I have a preorder with Google. Will ship today for delivery tomorrow. Just need to decide what to do about that preorder now. It is pretty ridiculous that I can't cancel the preorder even though they don't know when it will ship.

Done the same. On the phone to google right now (on hold) and also trying work :p

Chili

This is actually what the Google rep advised me to do. He said look at the box and see which one the 8GB is and reject it and ask the courier to return it to the sender free of charge. I should have known that the Play Store would be absolutely terrible for ordering hardware.

rabhw

Done the same. On the phone to google right now (on hold) and also trying work :p

Keep us posted. If anything, I'm interested if you can pull a definitive ship date from them.

"We can't cancel your order because it's shipping soon, but we have no idea when!" isn't exactly acceptable.

Godamn, I wish I had the money to order another, I just fear that the moment I order it from ebuyer, Google will still go ahead and charge me.

I've read that people who cancelled their preorder prior to being denied by Google didn't receive a cancellation confirmation for about 3 days.

BFIB

If Google is not allowing orders to be cancelled, then they need to provide answers on a concrete date. I really want this device, but now I'm getting annoyed that its July 12th, with no more information than we had 2 weeks ago.

DagsJT

Let me know what they say. Be interested to see if we can refuse delivery and get the courier to return it to sender for free like in the US.

I'm pretty sure UK consumer rights say that the customer can't be out of pocket by returning an unopened item.

Emily Chu

Banned
what a total clusterfuck this has become...

glad I just put down $50 at my local gamestop and they'll just call me when they are allowed to sell.

methinks it has to do with Apple being dicks so theres some weird embargo shit going on.

Top Bottom