• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Zeth

U2 - Love your screenshots. I'm an iOS guy so I need some good widgets if anyone has suggestions. I got One More Clock widget which is nice. I guess I should just check the apps I like for their widgets.

th3dude

no I didn't.... well thats the half truth, loved the software on a 7" screen hated the hardware defects, bulky back, weight and smallish awkward portrait bezels.

I'm glad it's not in stock though, did they lie to me over the phone ? wut

maybe it's a sign saying I should just wait and hold on to me tablet monies... until either a revision later or a next gen Nexus 7... idk

in all honesty I should just get a better laptop one that last 10 hrs or so.

Was totally just messing with you. I personally know very well how it is to go back and forth on a new device :)

Jeff-DSA

Got the last one. Went to Staples, was standing by the tablets display, and the girl comes over and says, "let me guess, you want a Nexus." I tell her that I do, and she says that they have a waiting list a mile long but that they're coming in on "rush order."

Just as she finishes telling me I was out of luck, one employee stocking tablet sleeves says that they got an extra 16GB tablet that couldn't be picked up because of a declined credit card and that since the rush order was due in tonight and they weren't going to notify people until this evening that I could take it.

16 geebees of love.

20120726_141217.jpg

JoeFu

Banned
So I got mine! Really excited and all, but when I got to a white screen I noticed something wrong...

The dot above the "You":(

I don't think it's a dead pixel or anything, the shape looks like it was a smudge or something... It looks like it's under the glass, but not the LCD. This sucks.

If something is wrong do I contact the store I bought it from? Or Google? Asus?

darkwing

So I got mine! Really excited and all, but when I got to a white screen I noticed something wrong...

The dot above the "You":(

I don't think it's a dead pixel or anything, the shape looks like it was a smudge or something... It looks like it's under the glass, but not the LCD. This sucks.

If something is wrong do I contact the store I bought it from? Or Google? Asus?

looks like a speck of dust to me

kehs

Banned
Omg it does feel tiny after using a 7...

You got the 8gb right ? How is it ? Any creeks or stuff ?
Any regrets ?

Damn I am torn about this dunno if want buy again...

16 Gig for the price of 8 baby! Thank you based giga.

I haven't noticed any creaks or anything subpar in the build it self, but I have low standards.

The bezel is a little too thing. I have quick controls on the browser, and lmt on, and they keep getting triggered when in portrait.
I don't like the screen compared to the GN/NS dat amoled black. It's a tad on the heavy side, but it feels good. Could use a notification led too. =(

Default launcher is garbage. I hate it. I'm doing nova launcher with a single screen until Chameleon hits. Landscape keyboard is garbage, they need split screen, I might step down to thumb keyboard, but I really like it in portrait mode.

I don't use alot of apps so I can't get on the hate train, between pulse/currents/g+/browser I'm pretty much set.

I regret not signing into the account I use the most instead of trying to scam googy.

anx10us

Banned
Go into Settings->Applications. Clock on the "All" tab; is the Play Store there? The only thing I would think you could have done is disable it, but does Google even allow you to do that for the Play app?

Found it, little bastard was disabled ... thanks for the help :)

JoeFu

Banned
oh my gosh this stupid black spot is going to drive me crazy. I read the warranty thing that comes with the Nexus 7 and they don't replace unless it's a dead pixel, which I'm sure mine isn't, too big to be a dead pixel and I don't think you're supposed to be able to see dead pixels when the screen is off. Not sure what to do.

Husker86

oh my gosh this stupid black spot is going to drive me crazy. I read the warranty thing that comes with the Nexus 7 and they don't replace unless it's a dead pixel, which I'm sure mine isn't, too big to be a dead pixel and I don't think you're supposed to be able to see dead pixels when the screen is off. Not sure what to do.

Screw that. There is a return policy and you can return that bitch.

bob page

Is the 25 dollar credit linked to the N7 or the Google account? I found someone to buy mine but wasn't sure if he would be able to get the credit with his account after I do a factory reset.

kehs

Banned
Arrgghh its not there, what the hell did I do ;<) ???

Settings > Apps > Scroll all the way to the right tab to "All", and then scroll all the way to the bottom.

You probably disabled it at some point.

If not, then you must have removed it completely, do you have root access? Or are you on a ROM. If you are....you probably forgot to install the Gapps.

Mairu

24 hours in and my impressions.

Tablet history.. owned a Transformer a few months back .. returned it due to the feeling of it being large enough I might as well have my laptop with me. Also had a Kindle Fire for the last few months.

+This little thing is fantastic. Super quick.
+Integration with google is so smooth and so well done.
+The ability to customize with widgets really sets it apart from the IOS setup.
+For me the size is perfect for a tablet. This is something I would bring with me. Handed it around the office and everyone agreed and enjoyed the size in their hand. When I told them 199 price point you could see their eyes light up.
+The OS overall is just so well designed. Seems light years ahead of the android OS i was using back on the transformer. Well done Google I was mostly worried about this but I am sold.
+Build quality seems fine on mine with no issues. I am taking it very easy on it and hope nothing pops up but it does feel great in your hand.

No negatives yet.. honestly this thing is fantastic. The integration with everything from Google Drive to Dropbox really is slick. Gonna post a couple screenshots of how I have my desktop. I am fairly happy with them at the moment but the ADD in me will have me tweaking forever.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3642594/NexusSShots/1.png[img][img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3642594/NexusSShots/2.png[img][img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3642594/NexusSShots/3.png[img][/QUOTE]

Can you identify some of the widgets & apps you've found yourself using? I like your setup but don't recognize a lot of it.

Mairu

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IEGS9W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This case shipped ahead of schedule from San Fran, so I should have it by next Monday. Poetic and Moko make virtually identical cases for the iPad and Kindle, differing only slightly on the quality of the inner microfiber cloth.

I've nearly dropped this tablet a dozen times around the office or on the street. I need a case ASAP.

Just got this case... guess it has the same issue plaguing all the other cases that have built in magnets. Pretty unusable as it just shuts the device off with it turned around and open :/

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Whites are really really yellow compared to 3rd gen iPad. Have there been color tests done on them yet?
The whole screen seems slightly off to me - kinda like there's not enough of a particular colour being shown - it feels cold, and has no vibrancy colour wise. For example the Gmail icon on mine looks kinda washed out, orangey-red instead of red. Still, cant expect it to be amazing for the price.

bjscott05

Any good place to get a 16gb now? Had to return mine to Staples since the screen was defective. Might just settle for a 8gb off google store.

Fantasmo

Has anyone here rooted and put the Tablet UI on their Nexus 7 that I've seen on XDA?
If you have, can you walk me through it?

I also ordered an OTG cable and that's impossible without rooting.

I'm really scared of bricking this thing, there are no beginning to end clear directions and I've never rooted anything.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!! :)

kehs

Banned
So.....I love browsing GAF on this thing. Visiting GAF during the day on the computer isn't the same anymore.

I thik im having an iPad moment.

Kudos to ckohler for such an execellent experience.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
What's this Tablet UI you guys are speaking of?
I am going to get a 8gb version then root it and use my 16gb flash drive
Details? What exactly are you looking to accomplish here? What rooting app would allow expandable storage? I'm definitely interested in this for when I root.

kehs

Banned
What's this Tablet UI you guys are speaking of?

Details? What exactly are you looking to accomplish here? What rooting app would allow expandable storage? I'm definitely interested in this for when I root.
Tablet ui is basically using the big tablet layout, like the Xoom or the prime.

After you root you'll be able to attach USB drives and access the data if you install the necessary stuff. Someone whow has done it will undoubtedly chime in with the linkage.

Vyer

So.....I love browsing GAF on this thing. Visiting GAF during the day on the computer isn't the same anymore.

I thik im having an iPad moment.

Kudos to ckohler for such an execellent experience.

you've never had a tablet before? Or used mobile GAF?

Agent X

I preordered this thing nearly 2 weeks ago from GameStop, and they still don't have it. Their Web site now says it's backordered and is expected to arrive in 3-4 weeks. My local store claims that a lot of GameStops never received even a first shipment of Nexus 7 machines.

It seems odd, since GameStop was (to my knowledge) the first brick-and-mortar retailer to take preorders for the machine, and yet other stores seem to be getting them first. One of my friends was able to walk into his local Staples a few days ago and pick one up on the spot, no preorder needed.

Did anyone here purchase a Nexus 7 from GameStop and actually receive it?

Izick

I preordered this thing nearly 2 weeks ago from GameStop, and they still don't have it. Their Web site now says it's backordered and is expected to arrive in 3-4 weeks. My local store claims that a lot of GameStops never received even a first shipment of Nexus 7 machines.

It seems odd, since GameStop was (to my knowledge) the first brick-and-mortar retailer to take preorders for the machine, and yet other stores seem to be getting them first. One of my friends was able to walk into his local Staples a few days ago and pick one up on the spot, no preorder needed.

Did anyone here purchase a Nexus 7 from GameStop and actually receive it?

Yeah, pre-ordered mine two or three days from release, and got it on the first day it was available, which was like two weeks ago now I think.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Looks like this.

It was just a option I've seen over at XDA they had a mini usb cable that allowed them to plug in a flash drive then mount it with a app to have more space.

here is what I am referring to http://www.androidcentral.com/how-use-your-usb-flash-drives-nexus-7-root

Tablet ui is basically using the big tablet layout, like the Xoom or the prime.

After you root you'll be able to attach USB drives and access the data if you install the necessary stuff. Someone whow has done it will undoubtedly chime in with the linkage.
Thanks guys. I forgot they kind of mixed the tablet and phone design with Jelly Bean.

kehs

Banned
I kinda wish the seven inch layout had the notification center from tablets rather than phones. It feels weird to have to slide it down.

Top Bottom