• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

I'm currently flip flopping on the tablet ui and the stock one. I like the tablet ui's increased screen space, but I miss the full screen mode from the stock ui 's ability to ditch the Nav bar

Cartman86

Banned
I'm currently flip flopping on the tablet ui and the stock one. I like the tablet ui's increased screen space, but I miss the full screen mode from the stock ui 's ability to ditch the Nav bar

Does the tablet UI change the text size for things like Chrome? Would it make comic text smaller? Or does it just increase the Home screen size?

Still using my iPad more than anything.

Basically picked up the Nexus 7 to use as an "infotainment" system in my 3 series since I missed the iDrive bandwagon. Working out pretty well so far in regards to navigation, maps and media (mainly music + album art display).

Really makes me want Apple to drop a 7" iPad.

Mounting the current iPad on my dashboard is too unruly and more of an eyesore than anything.

Basically picked up the Nexus 7 to use as an "infotainment" system in my 3 series since I missed the iDrive bandwagon. Working out pretty well so far in regards to navigation, maps and media (mainly music + album art display).

Mounting the current iPad on my dashboard is too unruly and more of an eyesore than anything.

Yeah, this really creates a want for me for a 7" iPad.

You probably don't have to wait long at least.

I just don't believe you or the WSJ for when the thing is going to release. Apple has enough on their plate with releasing an iPhone 5.

I haven't seen a hard rumor for the chance of a Fall release yet. I've seen rumors for it, of course, but nothing as hard as almost confirming it is on the way.

Cheebo

Banned
I just don't believe you or the WSJ for when the thing is going to release. Apple has enough on their plate with releasing an iPhone 5.

I haven't seen a hard rumor for the chance of a Fall release yet. I've seen rumors for it, of course, but nothing as hard as almost confirming it is on the way.

WSJ isn't some random blog. They pretty much always get it right. WSJ is infamously basically a PR arm of Apple. Apple always leaks to them. Not to mention basically all the other big league press is in agreement. It's happening and this fall. I'd put good money on it.

I think the WSJ has it wrong this time as it is no easy decision.

1) It distracts from the iPhone5 launch. Sure, they likely have a blueprint for how to launch products now, but it takes an effort from everyone.

2) It will cannibalize iPad3 sales. No small thing. If they price it right so that the demand remains high and the margins are great, this won't be a problem. I wonder what that price is? 400 bucks? That would defeat the purpose of competing with 200 buck 7 inch android tablets.

I think the earliest the iPad mini comes out is Spring 2013. Which was the reason I hopped on the Nexus 7 bandwagon. It fills the need that a Kindle Fire would have: being able to read my books on the go...I've never enjoyed reading books on the iPad....and being able to browse the web and use apps. E-ink doesn't do the latter.

zbeeb

2) It will cannibalize iPad3 sales. No small thing. If they price it right so that the demand remains high and the margins are great, this won't be a problem. I wonder what that price is? 400 bucks? That would defeat the purpose of competing with 200 buck 7 inch android tablets.

I think apple has proven more than anyone else that you need to be willing to cannibalise your own product, or else someone else will.

Vee_One

Just got one this week
Got the only one in the city that I live in
I'm liking it so far but need to get used to it; always used iOS

Does the tablet UI change the text size for things like Chrome? Would it make comic text smaller? Or does it just increase the Home screen size?
Its a lot like changing the resolution on a monitor. So the apps and widgets become smaller, text and windows scale back etc. Comixology is not affected however. Its very easy to do with ES file explorer, takes like 2 minutes and is a snap to revert to default res

Cheebo

Banned
Likely true. They are killing the ultrabooks right now by pricing their Airs reasonably.
That isn't at all what he said lol. Ultrabooks aren't their own product. Apple is very willing to cannibalize their own products to avoid competition doing so.

iPhones cannibalized iPod sales, iPads cannibalize Macbook sales, and the iPad mini will cannibalize iPad sales but it is worth it to Apple because the iPad mini will likely lock down the 7~ inch tablet size market before competition (like the Nexus 7) has a chance to take off to a serious degree.

kehs

Banned
I didn't think I'd be so annoyed at not having a notification light, it's even worse between two devices.

sad panda

zbeeb

I didn't think I'd be so annoyed at not having a notification light, it's even worse between two devices.

sad panda

I never realised how much I missed it on my gs2 till I started using BLN a few weeks ago. Now I keep looking at my N7 waiting for it to light up :(

U2NUMB

Can you identify some of the widgets & apps you've found yourself using? I like your setup but don't recognize a lot of it.

Here are the widgets I have placed.

•HD Widgets (only paid one.. $1.99) Weather and time
•APW: For my facebook and Twitter feeds
•Battlefield BF3 Stats - for the obvious
•Battery Solo Widget - digital readout with ring for battery
•Calendar - stock one which I like
•Data Counter - shows the data transfered (click on it and you get a TON of stats)
•Email inboxs x3
•iHeart Radio
•Mem Optimizer - shows use of memory.. you can click it to remove things in teh background and free up memory
•Power Control - turn on and off a number of things like wifi and blue tooth.. very nice and works quickly
•ESPN Score Center
•Volume Control 1x1

I have added a page to the left now which I have bookmarks all over it for websites.. still getting that one nailed down.

Salaadin

Moko case just came in. I dont have my N7 with me so I cant try it out but I like the way the case feels. Not much bulk at all.

BFIB

Ok, so I loaded Mame4Droid, but I can't get my ROM's to show.

Anyone care to PM and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

surly

Banned
A couple of little things I've discovered while playing with my Nexus 7. Maybe you guys know this stuff already, but I've had mine for a week and only noticed this stuff just now: -

If you long press on menu, the little round Google icon appears so you can get to Google Now.

If you long press the power button to bring up the menu to turn the tablet off, then long press on the power off option in that menu, you can reboot the tablet into safe mode, so only core services run.

Do you have any pics of the nexus mounted in your car? I wouldn't know where to place one in my car

Threi

notag
If you long press on menu, the little round Google icon appears so you can get to Google Now.

You dont have to long press it, and it doesn't have to be the menu button. Slide any navbar button upwards and you will be able to see google now

Just grabbed the comixology app off of ios just for comparisons sake, and it runs like a dream. Very touch responsive, pinch to zoom works without an issue, and it doesn't crash when entering or exiting a new page while in guided view. Shame the Android version is so unstable, cause I've got $60 worth of comics on there that can be a bit of a chore to read when the app goes screwy. I'll probably rate the app in hopes that enough people on N7's chime in so they address these issues

Salaadin

Just grabbed the comixology app off of ios just for comparisons sake, and it runs like a dream. Very touch responsive, pinch to zoom works without an issue, and it doesn't crash when entering or exiting a new page while in guided view. Shame the Android version is so unstable, cause I've got $60 worth of comics on there that can be a bit of a chore to read when the app goes screwy. I'll probably rate the app in hopes that enough people on N7's chime in so they address these issues

Yes, do that. Ill do the same.

Comixology runs great on my GNex but has some little issues (like the ones you mentioned) on the N7. Hopefully they get fixed soon.

Yes, do that. Ill do the same.

Comixology runs great on my GNex but has some little issues (like the ones you mentioned) on the N7. Hopefully they get fixed soon.
Just did, if you sort reviews on the app page by your device, you'll see a list of others who have expressed disappointment as well. Hopefully they fix it within the month of August when the N7 is readily available to the general public

g23

European pre-madonna
Please god don't let the replacement unit that was delivered today be faulty, creaky, or have a dead pixel! This tablet would be perfect if it weren't for the annoying hardware issues.

Please god don't let the replacement unit that was delivered today be faulty, creaky, or have a dead pixel! This tablet would be perfect if it weren't for the annoying hardware issues.

I was on XDA earlier today and some people over there are like 7/7 for units with creaky screens so... Yeah... :/

On the flipside; someone found a fix involving making washers for the screws out of he blister packs you'd find on pills and it seems to do the trick. Basically, the screws on the inside of the unit are pushing up against the screen so tightening them too much causes the screen to flex and pop up above the bezel. These washers allow for the screws to still be seated tightly, but they won't come in contact with the screen. That's the theory anyway

Sky Chief

Been playing around with my boss's Nexus 7 and it is a really amazing device. However, the device is so dependent on the cloud, the fact that an LTE version is not available blows my mind.

This is such an incredible oversight! Especially, considering how portable the device is, LTE is an absolute must. I would easily pay $300-400 for the same software and hardware with LTE built in.

Oh well, for now I am going to just stick with my Galaxy Nexus and iPad 3 combo.

BFIB

Thats a bummer to hear about so many screens being faulty. Mine has been perfect, and I use this a lot. Far more than I did my Kindle Fire.

Zeth

So far most of the apps I've gotten are from the Staff Picks For Tablets list. Is there a better way to discover stuff? Is there a thread where it's acceptable to ask for suggestions? This $25 is burning a hole in my cloud-pocket.

Edit: got Blazing Star and Shogun. Great shmups.

Also my screen appears to be fine.

lol, nearly everything on Android is free. I'm having a tough time spending that 25 bucks as well. Thanks for reminding me about Blazing Star and Shogun.

I wish Cave shooters were on this thing. That 25 bucks would disappear fast.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Just got this case... guess it has the same issue plaguing all the other cases that have built in magnets. Pretty unusable as it just shuts the device off with it turned around and open :/

For anyone ordering the Poetic case - or have received it already - they will send out an updated case within 2-3 days with updated magnets that are weaker and will not relock the device when the cover is folded back. You can keep the previous case.

Received that email this morning even though I've yet to receive the defective first case. Pretty great customer service from the company.

For anyone looking, here's the original seller - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008IEGS9W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Unlike other cases, this one uses curved tabs to secure the Nexus, leaving the bevel uncovered and easier to swipe along the borders. If the execution follows their iPad 2/3 cases of the same form-factor, this will be the last case I buy for the device.

kinggroin

Banned
So far most of the apps I've gotten are from the Staff Picks For Tablets list. Is there a better way to discover stuff? Is there a thread where it's acceptable to ask for suggestions? This $25 is burning a hole in my cloud-pocket.

Edit: got Blazing Star and Shogun. Great shmups.

Also my screen appears to be fine.

Wtf?? When was blazing star put up?? My favorite NeoGeo shmup.

For anyone ordering the Poetic case - or have received it already - they will send out an updated case within 2-3 days with updated magnets that are weaker and will not relock the device when the cover is folded back. You can keep the previous case.

Received that email this morning even though I've yet to receive the defective first case. Pretty great customer service from the company.

For anyone looking, here's the original seller - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008IEGS9W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Unlike other cases, this one uses curved tabs to secure the Nexus, leaving the bevel uncovered and easier to swipe along the borders. If the execution follows their iPad 2/3 cases of the same form-factor, this will be the last case I buy for the device.
Thanks for the link to that case, looks perfect. I particularly like that hand strap, looks like a real comfy way to hold the tablet

Yeah, I was also wondering about whether or not the cover touches the display when closed. If it does, it'll grind abrasive dust and grit between it and the screen, scratching the display.

http://androidforums.com/nexus-7/579442-case-thread-post-your-case-finds-here-5.html#post4722092

He absolutely hates the thing and from the description, I don't blame him.

I'm guessing they'll redesign a cover with magnets to keep the flap down, but right now...it's not so good.

Btw, that thread has lots of choices for covers.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
the nice thing about the case i linked to is is that, because it snaps in place and is held solid, there isn't any chance that dust finding its way in will scrape against the screen hard enough to leave a permanent mark. at least this hasn't happened yet to either my iPad 2 or iPad 3 in similar case designs, and i throw my iPad 3 in my bag daily on my commute to and from work.

Top Bottom