• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 7 |OT| Shhhhhhhh

Greg

The 49ers won last year with amazing defense, ST, and turnover differential. The problem is that the only thing that is sustainable year to year in the NFL is good offense. And that's a function of having a good QB. The 49ers don't have the QB to carry them when the defense has a bad day and Akers misses FGs
I'm not a big stats guy when it comes to sports, so I could be completely talking from my ass, but it would seem to me that everything is sustainable except turnover differential. When you look at the number of ways they can occur outside of the control of the defense (tipped balls, bad routes, bad throws, bad snaps, bad hand-offs, etc.) and then you take into consideration the chances of recovering a fumble (mostly random according to that one article you posted)... there are just way too many variables that can and can't go your way despite playing sound defense.

And I just quickly skimmed that article you just posted, but:
So I simply used offensive touchdowns scored to rank the offenses and offensive touchdowns allowed to rank the defenses.
Not taking into consideration the points that came off of big stops on D/field position/etc. doesn't give those numbers much weight to me. Granted that metric was chosen because he wanted to go back to the 70s, but the results seem limited for this discussion.

Mrbob

We've been puffing our chests since we made the playoffs last year and you guys didn't.

Yeah Cutler getting injured really affected last year's post season.

Things which would have happened had Cutler stayed healthy:

1) Lions not in the post season
2) Giants not in the Super Bowl
3) Bears in the Super Bowl winning it
4) Atlanta still only scoring two points on a safety versus a crappy Saints defense

Take that Chicago!

Quiet, you! Don't make me hop off the VIKEBIKE bandwagon. Minnesota is still going to win this division.

I like this one. Fits LA. Not the Vikings though so hmmmmm.

As much as I like that design I have to agree with you.

I hope they can work something that captures the concept of old and new.

-------------

As for the Superbowl, I'll be eagerly awaiting the 2018 or 2019 season for the one at Viking Stadium.

"Tests on Kevin Kolb showed no rib or sternum fracture. He does have rib cartilage damage & SC joint sprain. Out for unspecified time frame"

I think "Laker" is a meaningless term so it works but nothing about Los Angeles is "Viking".

You'd almost want them to change the name. The colors fit nicely though.

Maybe the Vikings will be the New Browns.
Move team, change name, win a Super Bowl.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
HKS Architecture has released a couple concept designs for the upcoming Viking Stadium.

1016vikingsstadiumarchi.jpg

20121016stadium353.jpg

and

20120928stadiumview253.jpg

20121016stadium453.jpg

man, those are gonna be expensive when the roof caves in from snow/ice.

Yeah but hell what is he going to say?

"Nah, they're shit."

:)

How about "we are working hard to get better and improve" I dont get why he is talking about the SB when his team is in 3rd place and coming of back to back bad losses. I wouldnt want the Eagles talking about SBs now either.

squicken

And I just quickly skimmed that article you just posted, but:
Not taking into consideration the points that came off of big stops on D/field position/etc. doesn't give those numbers much weight to me. Granted that metric was chosen because he wanted to go back to the 70s, but the results seem limited for this discussion.

The numbers on this are solid. People kind of fear stats b/c they think it will ruin the sport like the saber stuff did baseball. But that won't happen. There's never going to be a stat that quantifies just how awesome Aaron Smith was.

To the sustainability, the thing to take away from that piece is that strong defense is very reliant on strength of schedule. Small sample size incoming, but didn't we just have that sort of validated with GB and NYG?

Don't know if anyone followed Andy's press conference but when asked about whether Vick was the starting QB:

"As I sit here today he's the starting quarterback.

"Listen, I'm going through and I'm evaluating everything. I'm looking at everything. Everybody and everything.

"All I can tell you today is what I've got done today. That's all I can do and you can take that however you [want]. I'm trying to give you as much as I can give you at the time. I'm coming forward to you with this and as quickly as I possibly could to make sure I stand up here and tell you as opposed to putting out just a press release and going the opposite direction. So I want to make sure you know, the fans know, and I owe that to you guys, I owe it to them. I know everyone has an opinion. I understand. I've got it. I’m going to take it one day at a time here."

What a turnaround from 2010 if Vick is benched during this bye week.

yankeehater said:
How about "we are working hard to get better and improve" I dont get why he is talking about the SB when his team is in 3rd place and coming of back to back bad losses.
You have to consider the source. You're asking Jerry Jones to be measured. You might as well ask Rex Ryan to not talk shit to the Pats even when his team in his shambles and his quarterback has a better chance of winning the lottery than completing a pass.

Chili

That second stadium idea looks fantastic. It would be really iconic which is something a lot of NFL stadiums are lacking - even the recent ones. Metlife just looks bleh and uninteresting while the Cowboys stadium is okay with the windowed side. Lucas Oil Field looks great though.

Greg

The numbers on this are solid. People kind of fear stats b/c they think it will ruin the sport like the saber stuff did baseball. But that won't happen. There's never going to be a stat that quantifies just how awesome Aaron Smith was.

To the sustainability, the thing to take away from that piece is that strong defense is very reliant on strength of schedule. Small sample size incoming, but didn't we just have that sort of validated with GB and NYG?
I don't disagree with that, but I wouldn't take that as offense being the the only sustainable aspect from year to year though.

mad-manning-10-15-12.gif

Damn, Manning going hard on that ref. Looks like he tells him it's the most horse shit call he has ever seen and that the ref should retire after tonight.

eznark

Banned

How did knowledge ruin baseball?

h1nch

I didn't catch the video of the game. What was the call, and was it that bad?

They called offensive pass interference on Decker after he made a great long yardage catch. Replays show he barely touched the defender. It was an absolutely atrocious call.

exarkun

Think our Bears will handle the Lions with ease? I see an easy blowout for us Monday night. Our D will lock down Stafford and Megaman.

Cutler also throws for 4 tds.

wait, wtf is this. I thought Matrix was one of us...

Or is this a bad troll. I can't tell.

As much as I like that design I have to agree with you.

I hope they can work something that captures the concept of old and new.

-------------

As for the Superbowl, I'll be eagerly awaiting the 2018 or 2019 season for the one at Viking Stadium.

As long as they name it the Peter 'Bud' Grant Jr. Thunderdome I don't care if it looks like the constantly erect bulge of an ancient Norseman.

The Jimmy Glen Kleinsasser People's Champion Stadium would work, too. :D

etiolate

Banned
There have been so many articles on this that I'll just post the most recent one I've read

http://www.footballperspective.com/rating-offenses-and-defenses-since-1970/

The Ravens have continued to be good based on the strength of their defense. A defense can handle one or two injuries. An offense can't handle a QB injury. Some can't handle RB injuries or WR or OL injuries. Offenses and special teams are very fragile compared to defenses. The Niners STs have fallen off because they lost one player in Costanza.

Something as fragile as offense can't be the only sustainable part of football.

Basically, your stats aren't scary. They're just stats and stats have always been end total of a complex happening. People mock stats because they're often a refuge for poor arguments. My original post was about the Niners shitting the bed. As in, they didn't play their normal game or their normal gameplan. That has little to do with a mean, and more to do with their mental state and their approach to that particular game.

Top Bottom