• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

squicken

That practice field was nuts. Pay those guys that much money and then put them on that? Otherwise eh. Wasn't all that great. Well except for Zimmer. Dude is awesome

Tenumi

Banned
Ugh... I'm so tired of hearing about Kirk Cousins this and Kirk Cousins that. I can't watch the news or read the paper without there being some article about him. Where do I live? Michigan.

Yeah, Cousin's old High and Hometown? I live right next door. Our schools are in the same conference now, though ironically he never faced the High school I went to.

Anyway, my point is I'm so used to hearing so much love for him from the locals around here that he must be some amazing QB. After all, my local paper just had an article that practically makes him out as the top in the league.

- Wide receiver A.J. Jenkins had a solid day of practice with three catches, two of pretty high difficulty. That came after recording just one catch during team drills over the previous two days.

During two-minute drill work, he hauled in a deep sideline pass from Kaepernick, although it was borderline whether or not he was in bounds. He also made a nice catch over the middle on a Kaepernick pass in which he fought off tight coverage from rookie cornerback Darryl Morris. He earlier caught another sideline pass, also from Kaepernick.

Jenkins didn’t receive a lot of work early in practice and at one point tight end Vernon Davis shouted some words of encouragement his way, yelling “Come on A.J.” to the second-year receiver.

Shortly after, he made the nice sideline grab during the two-minute work, although linebacker NaVorra Bowman protested that he was out of bounds.

WOOOO!!! HE'S BACK BITCHES!! 3 CATCHES IN PRACTICE! THE 49ERS HAVE FOUND THEIR RECEIVER OF THE FUTURE!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ugh... I'm so tired of hearing about Kirk Cousins this and Kirk Cousins that. I can't watch the news or read the paper without there being some article about him. Where do I live? Michigan.

Yeah, Cousin's old High and Hometown? I live right next door. Our schools are in the same conference now, though ironically he never faced the High school I went to.

Anyway, my point is I'm so used to hearing so much love for him from the locals around here that he must be some amazing QB. After all, my local paper just had an article that practically makes him out as the top in the league.

How will you feel when he gets traded to the Browns?

brentech

As it is it's just standard procedure (jettison the 30+ year old with injury history), and on average it works out.
AJ Hawk to be starting linebacker at age 40 confirmed! Fuck.
That practice field was nuts. Pay those guys that much money and then put them on that? Otherwise eh. Wasn't all that great. Well except for Zimmer. Dude is awesome
I don't like him much. If your only way to motivate people is to curse every few words, you're not a very good motivator.

Fox318

U5atJpvl.jpg

qb not water boy

AJ Hawk to be starting linebacker at age 40 confirmed! Fuck.

I don't like him much. If your only way to motivate people is to curse every few words, you're not a very good motivator.
Most players arecomplete morons . Unfortunately they probably don't respond to much else

LJ11

State of Marquise Goodwin is one or more of the following:

1) He's a better receiver than most thought.
2) Beat writers/followers are pumping him up.
3) Really worked on his weaknesses in the offseason.
4) Mack Brown is an idiot.

We can all agree on 4 at least. I didn't hate the pick, didn't mind it but I didn't think they'd go for a boom bust type guy in the third with proven guys still on the board. Still, I'm intrigued and he seems like a good kid, good coaches and teammates to help him out.

Attacking the ball when he can, better route runner than most thought, and he's clobbering dudes in the run game. Crossing my fingers.

mr2xxx

Banned

Your diet must be high in sodium because that article only mentioned he could be a starter. When Freeman, Sanchez, Weeden and Gabbert are starters that isn't saying much.

Fantomex

Madden is straight rehash this year. Im gonna sell it after getting Sunday Ticket if anyone is interested. I ordered the xboxversion.

Just read an interview with Aaron Garbut.

Aaron Garbut said:
"What we’ve got at the end is I think something quite new.
We used to call Liberty City a living, breathing world, but this is way beyond anything we’ve done before".

Source: http://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/way-beyond-anything-weve-done-before-building-the-world-of-g

The multiple iterations of the city inspire so much confidence. There's just no way that happened with IV.

Sounds like they've relearned their lesson.

KaYotiX

Banned
Madden is straight rehash this year. Im gonna sell it after getting Sunday Ticket if anyone is interested. I ordered the xboxversion.

I never use EAs demos as how the retail games will be.

They are usually all trash and the game comes out and is good.

KaYotiX

Banned
What's the Sunday ticket Madden deal again?

Buy Anniversay Edition on Amazon ($100) and get Sunday Ticket for free for the year, it only works on PC,Tablets and Phones though. Also looks like it includes Red Zone (not 100% sure)

$60 for the game $40 for Sunday ticket. Win all around IMO. If you don't like Madden just sell it and you have Sunday Ticket for $40 :)

this is true if you mean rehashed features from years past and not just last year. we finally got owner mode back after 7 years! thanks for the support EA!

i am a madden fan because of the online franchise mode but lets just be realistic and say that madden '25 is probably what madden 07 or madden 08 SHOULD have been. the game has some improvements and i will enjoy it but for it to take 7 or 8 years to get to this point is just shameful

p.s.

NFL 2k5 sucks dick and always sucked dick

Vyer

Buy Anniversay Edition on Amazon ($100) and get Sunday Ticket for free for the year, it only works on PC,Tablets and Phones though. Also looks like it includes Red Zone (not 100% sure)

$60 for the game $40 for Sunday ticket. Win all around IMO. If you don't like Madden just sell it and you have Sunday Ticket for $40 :)

Hmmm....so no need for directv at all then? Interesting

KaYotiX

Banned
2k5 was great when it came out but to those saying it holds up now are fucking insane.

Look how good APF2K did, LOL game was a damn joke. Only thing 2K can do right is basketball

squicken

State of Marquise Goodwin is one or more of the following:

1) He's a better receiver than most thought.
2) Beat writers/followers are pumping him up.
3) Really worked on his weaknesses in the offseason.
4) Mack Brown is an idiot.

We can all agree on 4 at least. I didn't hate the pick, didn't mind it but I didn't think they'd go for a boom bust type guy in the third with proven guys still on the board. Still, I'm intrigued and he seems like a good kid, good coaches and teammates to help him out.

Attacking the ball when he can, better route runner than most thought, and he's clobbering dudes in the run game. Crossing my fingers.

4 is of course certain, but even then, he was such a threat their when he did get the ball. You just never know. I read an interview today with Cordarelle Patterson, and I can see why lots of teams were scared off by him, but also see the tape and why the Vikes like him. Hopefully Goodwin realized it was now or never and is getting after it

2k5 was great when it came out but to those saying it holds up now are fucking insane.

Look how good APF2K did, LOL game was a damn joke. Only thing 2K can do right is basketball

i like nba 2k even though i suck at it but i do wish 2k had their shit together in regards to online play/online leagues/online franchise :(

that's about the only thing i can REALLY compliment EA on this generation with NCAA and madden. online dynasty/connected career franchise mode has been incredible

Dragon

Banned
i like nba 2k even though i suck at it but i do wish 2k had their shit together in regards to online play/online leagues/online franchise :(

that's about the only thing i can REALLY compliment EA on this generation with NCAA and madden. online dynasty/connected career franchise mode has been incredible

The NHL game is quality even if they haven't really changed anything but the UI since '07. I think it's mostly because hockey translates well to vidya games. Basketball always looks incredibly awkward to me.

Practice summary: A.J. Jenkins had a strong bounce-back practice with three nice receptions just one day after the 49ers' top pick of 2012 was the only wideout held without a catch.

But the most unique sight on the practice field Tuesday was a scuffle matching two safeties who are competing for practice reps, playing time and, perhaps, a roster spot.

And the melee featured the coach Jim Harbaugh's swan dive onto the pile to try to break it up.

Veteran C.J. Spillman and Michael Thomas got into an argument, and Spillman took a swing at Thomas during the non-padded practice. The two players went to the ground. Receiver Ricardo Lockette was among the first on the scene to try to separate them.

The physical confrontation was the result of a dispute over practice reps, a source told CSNBayArea.com.

Then, Harbaugh, who does not condone practice-field scuffles, dove into the melee in an attempt to restore order. When the two players were separated, Spillman was ordered off the field with an hour remaining in practice. He walked slowly to the locker room with his pants ripped. Thomas remained on the practice field and took his typical number of reps during the remainder of the 2 1/2-hour practice.

please be video of this. PLEASE!

LJ11

4 is of course certain, but even then, he was such a threat their when he did get the ball. You just never know. I read an interview today with Cordarelle Patterson, and I can see why lots of teams were scared off by him, but also see the tape and why the Vikes like him. Hopefully Goodwin realized it was now or never and is getting after it

If you listen to Darick Rogers speak you'd reconsider everything you heard about him. Such a well spoken individual, I immediately forgot about his past. Rogers is running with the 3s, making mistakes on where to line up, not hustling. Dude may not make the team because Hogan is pushing for a spot, and Easley/Tuel combo is making it even harder. He's been a ghost.

Patterson showed tremendous ability with the ball in his hands, the rest of the stuff was the lead up to the draft. His game had flaws but you kept hearing about how dumb he was. Similar situation with Dez Bryant, though Dez had "off field" issues. Easy top 10 talent, you can even argue top 5, never really got into trouble at Ok St, but the lead up to the draft was one bad story after the other.

I still for the life of me can't understand why he went that late. I mean I understand why, but its a shit reason when you consider how many boom bust guys go in the first round that don't have Bryant's talent.

Fascinating how decisions are made. Can sit hear all day and discuss this stuff.

Fantomex

this is true if you mean rehashed features from years past and not just last year. we finally got owner mode back after 7 years! thanks for the support EA!

i am a madden fan because of the online franchise mode but lets just be realistic and say that madden '25 is probably what madden 07 or madden 08 SHOULD have been. the game has some improvements and i will enjoy it but for it to take 7 or 8 years to get to this point is just shameful

p.s.

NFL 2k5 sucks dick and always sucked dick

Yeah thats what i mean. Where i see fifa with so many significant improvements every 2 years at least, Madden is still resting on its laurels. Maybe football has been perfected on a console? No room to grow except in the sim/gm mode?

squicken

If you listen to Darick Rogers speak you'd reconsider everything you heard about him. Such a well spoken individual, I immediately forgot about his past. Rogers is running with the 3s, making mistakes on where to line up, not hustling. Dude may not make the team because Hogan is pushing for a spot, and Easley/Tuel combo is making it even harder. He's been a ghost.

Patterson showed tremendous ability with the ball in his hands, the rest of the stuff was the lead up to the draft. His game had flaws but you kept hearing about how dumb he was. Similar situation with Dez Bryant, though Dez had "off field" issues. Easy top 10 talent, you can even argue top 5, never really got into trouble at Ok St, but the lead up to the draft was one bad story after the other.

I still for the life of me can't understand why he went that late. I mean I understand why, but its a shit reason when you consider how many boom bust guys go in the first round that don't have Bryant's talent.

Fascinating how decisions are made. Can sit hear all day and discuss this stuff.

The thing with Patterson is they don't even expect him to be an every down player this year. They will have packages and he will return kicks, but he's not going to be there on 3rd and 8. They think it will 2014 when he becomes a full time WR

It's such a weird position. So many guys need a redshirt year that you have to bake that into the value proposition of the pick

Darkman M

Called direct tv to complain about my bill with no intention of canceling, left the phone call with free sunday ticket which i was gonna purchase anyways like every year.

Spinluck

They barely had a budget with that game though lol, and yea it was shit in many ways, but got a few things right that Madden never did. Unfortunately it wasn't fun to play, and looked really bad for a current gen game.

Called direct tv to complain about my bill with no intention of canceling, left the phone call with free sunday ticket which i was gonna purchase anyways like every year.

How does this fucking happen for you people!? lol

Striker

http://msn.foxsports.com/lacesout/former-cowboy-calls-tony-romo-a-thief/

Former Texan 1st round pick Travis Johnson calling Tony Romo a thief

“Tony Romo has not earned a dollar he’s been given in this league,” Johnson said. “Matt Schaub will get the job done. I believe in him. I played with him and against him. He can take this team to a Super Bowl.”

Wow. But Johnson wasn’t done.

“Tony Romo is not that guy. He is a thief. They need to bring him up on federal charges right now. He’s killing the franchise.”
FWIW, Johnson had a six year career, three career sacks.

KaYotiX

Banned

NHL is amazing also.

The EASHL is the greatest thing in sports video games ever.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
“Tony Romo has not earned a dollar he’s been given in this league,” Johnson said. “Matt Schaub will get the job done. I believe in him. I played with him and against him. He can take this team to a Super Bowl.”

Wow. But Johnson wasn’t done.

“Tony Romo is not that guy. He is a thief. They need to bring him up on federal charges right now. He’s killing the franchise.”
“Matt Schaub will get the job done. I believe in him. I played with him and against him. He can take this team to a Super Bowl.”
“Matt Schaub will get the job done.”
Matt Schaub
93764-DataLaughing_gif.gif

squicken

Didn't really think it was all that corny. Had to get across a sense of scale somehow.

Yeah I thought it was well done. There's no way to convey the size of it until we see it at the stadium

Reminded me of the other part of Hard Knocks I liked, where Zimmer said Hunt reminded him, in appearance, of JJ Watt, and the rest of the staff laughed and groaned

Highlights for me:

1. Eddie Lacy literally performing 5 spin moves against me on a 10 yard run.

2. Post halftime interview with Brady Quinn who hadn't played a single snap.

3. Thrilling commentary that includes never actually saying the score and always reminding the audience of which receiver is in the slot.

4. At least 15 injuries (not exaggerating at all) occurring in a single game with 5 minute quarters.

5. Russell Wilson being unrecognizable because of his dark chocolate skin tone.

6. Jim and Phil going on about how huge of an addition Boldin is to the Niners and how he will be great at making tough catches over the middle, immediately followed by Boldin dropping a pass over the middle and getting injured because of a hit.

7. Jim talking about how a 42-24 game was "a game we will never forget."

It's okay but it still feels pretty unpolished and lacking in the presentation department, especially when compared to something like FIFA 13. I'll still play a season or two with the Dolphins just for the heck of it, though.

Fuck you people! Schaub is going to make you all look foolish when he says fuck it and goes all Flacco on everyone!
image.php

Highlights for me:

1. Eddie Lacy literally performing 5 spin moves against me on a 10 yard run.

2. Post halftime interview with Brady Quinn who hadn't played a single snap.

3. Thrilling commentary that includes never actually saying the score and always reminding the audience of which receiver is in the slot.

4. At least 15 injuries (not exaggerating at all) occurring in a single game with 5 minute quarters.

5. Russell Wilson being unrecognizable because of his dark chocolate skin tone.

6. Jim and Phil going on about how huge of an addition Boldin is to the Niners and how he will be great at making tough catches over the middle, immediately followed by Boldin dropping a pass over the middle and getting injured because of a hit.

7. Jim talking about how a 42-24 game was "a game we will never forget."

It's okay but it still feels pretty unpolished and lacking in the presentation department, especially when compared to something like FIFA 13. I'll still play a season or two with the Dolphins just for the heck of it, though.

image.php
I literally had none of the issues you explained come up in my game. Weird.

gutshot

No more "Are you ready for some football?!?" intro this year on MNF. From The Hollywood Reporter:

On Sept. 9, as the Philadelphia Eagles prepare to take on the Washington Redskins in the first Monday Night Football game of the NFL season, ESPN viewers won't be asked whether they are ready for some football. Instead, they'll be treated to a montage of Darth Vader, Ronald Reagan and the daredevil who jumped from outer space in 2012.

The creator of the new MNF opening segment is Peter Berg, the filmmaker and football fanatic best known for the Friday Night Lights film and TV series. Berg won the job after pitching the network on the idea of packing 44 years of culture and football history into a 90-second curtain-raiser for the weekly game.

"Whether it be presidents being elected, great films, 9/11, Katrina -- these are moments that we all remember culturally and somehow dealt with on Monday Night Football," Berg tells THR.

The new opening, which has been in the works for nine months, references Pac-Man, Bruce Springsteen and Titanic, among other major cultural forces. ESPN execs have been looking for a permanent opening since dropping Hank Williams Jr.'s classic "Are You Ready for Some Football" intro in 2011 after the singer analogized President Barack Obama to Adolf Hitler. ESPN executive producer Jed Drake says at the end of last season, the network quietly put out requests for proposals to creative firms before Berg offered the timeline concept.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
How does this fucking happen for you people!? lol

just call and ask to get directed to customer retention. I did this last Sunday. I called and complained about the fact that they raised the DVR fee from 6 bucks to 10 bucks over the course of a few months. Complained about the price we were paying got it knocked down to 60 bucks for the next year, 2 months free of all the movie channels, and got them to warranty replace my old piece of shit DVR, seriously the model came out in like 2003.

Still very close to cancelling next year, if I can figure out how to get monday night football. NFL Network says they stream the games on nfl.com. Rabbit ears for the broadcast channels and netflix, amazon prime and hulu for the rest.

gutshot

just call and ask to get directed to customer retention. I did this last Sunday. I called and complained about the fact that they raised the DVR fee from 6 bucks to 10 bucks over the course of a few months. Complained about the price we were paying got it knocked down to 60 bucks for the next year, 2 months free of all the movie channels, and got them to warranty replace my old piece of shit DVR, seriously the model came out in like 2003.

Still very close to cancelling next year, if I can figure out how to get monday night football. NFL Network says they stream the games on nfl.com. Rabbit ears for the broadcast channels and netflix, amazon prime and hulu for the rest.

Do you have a Verizon smartphone? If so, sign up for NFL Mobile for $5/month and you will get all the primetime games, plus the Red Zone Channel and NFL Network streaming on your phone. Get an MHL adapter, plug your phone into your TV and you are good to go.

Top Bottom