• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

jmdajr

That level is cake.

0.jpg

THIS was the hard level in Battletoads.

Yeah that was tough, but I beat it!

Well I beat it on SNES, never on NES.

Colasante

Patriots release WR Mike Jenkins.

This makes it pretty clear the receivers on the final 53 will be Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce, Amendola, Edelman, and Slater.

bionic77

How's it looking on WiiU?

They're the guys doing their job. You must be the other guy!
I was re-reading A Memory of Light and I still like it.

I think it is one of the better WoT books in retrospect. 70% of the book is basically Androl and Matt kicking ass. Even Perrin is not so much of a pussy as he used to be. Do you still hate it the way you hate the Patriots receiving corps?

Greg

Fuuuuuuuuuuck. I missed out on the NES talk. Damn that was such a great system. Most gamers are too young to remember it, but Super Mario on the NES was a jaw dropping game for its time. Going from Atari to that was mindblowing back then.

I don't remember Castlequest of Milon but Shadowgate is easy and TMNT is hard, but doable. It just takes a lot of patience.
I think Shadowgate was over my head at the time and there was something obvious I was missing as a kid. The music in that game though... amazing.

And TMNT I always got stuck on the part with the van/missiles. The underwater level was easy, but I always got stuck in the level afterwards because I never knew where to go to find more missiles. I remember there being rooftops and if you fell you went down a sewer with running water or something.

Nes games. Blaster Master. Bump n Jump. City Connection. Mappyland. Burger Tyme. Little Nemo Dream Master. Contra. Predator...

I need to dig out my Nes again...
Blaster Master! Loved that game.

Anyone remember Faxanadu? So good. I remember being so nervous for the final boss that my brother and I entered and exited this building just to grind 1 enemy over and over for coins to buy everything we could. And the boss ended up being a joke.

Dragon

Banned
This is getting old, you know.

Everything is old in here. The jokes (how many times are ChanHuk and Gata going to mock-insult each other while hugging each other secretly?), the people, the arguments and yet I always enjoy coming in here.

I was re-reading A Memory of Light and I still like it.

I think it is one of the better WoT books in retrospect. 70% of the book is basically Androl and Matt kicking ass. Even Perrin is not so much of a pussy as he used to be. Do you still hate it the way you hate the Patriots receiving corps?

It's terribly written. I've re-read it since my marathon read the first night. There is basically no epilogue at all. You follow these characters for tens of thousands of pages and then when it's over you get nothing? It's like after the SB you get no interviews or anything when your team wins and you just have to watch the game tape over and over again (I've done this way too many times, even the Giants SBs).

Patriots receiving corp sucks hard but then again it's not like there's anyone in their division with a better offense even considering that. Hopefully they just run more because their RBs are awesome.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck. I missed out on the NES talk. Damn that was such a great system. Most gamers are too young to remember it, but Super Mario on the NES was a jaw dropping game for its time. Going from Atari to that was mindblowing back then.

A lot of NES games have aged badly, though they were cutting edge at the time, a lot like the 32 bit era.

This was the one NES game that I tried to beat and was never able to. I could never clear the stage right before the last one where you have to go from the bottom to the top and beat like every fucking demon in the game.

I don't remember Castlequest of Milon but Shadowgate is easy and TMNT is hard, but doable. It just takes a lot of patience.

I fucking loooooooved Ninja Gaiden. I remember it being really hard as a kid but we busted out our NES during one winter break at college and I remember after a few days of playing the game obsessively being able to beat it without getting hit.

The crazy thing with NES games is that if you were good at them most of them could be beat in like 20 minutes or less.

Someone mentioned Rygar too. That game was easy, but like a lot of NES games the hardest part is the beginning. Getting a 10 year old spazz to calm the fuck down for 15 minutes and figure out which way to go at the start when there is no map or hints is hard! It took me like 6 months before I was able to do that and then it was pretty easy to get through it. I am not even sure that game was good, but something about it seemed awesome at the time. Is it my bad memory again or was Karnov a boss in that game? Or am I thinking of something else?

I loved Ninja Gaiden too, at the time it was a revelation. Cutscenes!? What an amazing idea! Soon, just about every game ever made had them. But the levels were pretty fun once you memorized the enemy placement. Though, if I remember correctly, I think I beat the second game before I beat the first one. I think I struggled with the final boss in the first one.

I had a love/hate relationship with Rygar. Yes, the difficulty was all in the fact that you didn't know where the hell to go. And it had no save or password feature, so I thought it was cruel as fuck when I first started playing it. But once you figured it out, the rest of the game wasn't all that tough. I remember I bought it because my friend raved about how it was better than Castlevania. Good game, but I still prefer Castlevania.

bionic77

Everything is old in here. The jokes (how many times are ChanHuk and Gata going to mock-insult each other while hugging each other secretly?), the people, the arguments and yet I always enjoy coming in here.

It's terribly written. I've re-read it since my marathon read the first night. There is basically no epilogue at all. You follow these characters for tens of thousands of pages and then when it's over you get nothing? It's like after the SB you get no interviews or anything when your team wins and you just have to watch the game tape over and over again (I've done this way too many times, even the Giants SBs).

Patriots receiving corp sucks hard but then again it's not like there's anyone in their division with a better offense even considering that. Hopefully they just run more because their RBs are awesome.
Thats the epilogue that Jordan wrote though. And while I am not a huge Sanderson fan, his wikpedia/cliff notes version of the ending of the books is exactly what the series needed. I already know the fucking characters pretty damn well after spending 13 books with all of them. I just wanted to see how it ended and I though the ending was pretty epic. I am sure that Jordan would have written a better ending, but the dude got too caught up in the world building and it would have taken him 5 books to do what Sanderson did in two.

I actually liked the epilogue and the book as a whole better on the re-read.

And you are probably right about the East. God those teams are so pathetic. Other than a year or two with the Jets or Dolphins they have all been among the worst teams in the league and have given the Pats a free pass to the playoffs almost every year. I am kind of jealous. The AFC North is clearly the best division in football having produced the most Superbowls in the last 15 years, but at the same time it must be nice to know you are going to be watching your team every January!

bionic77

I loved Ninja Gaiden too, at the time it was a revelation. Cutscenes!? What an amazing idea! Soon, just about every game ever made had them. But the levels were pretty fun once you memorized the enemy placement. Though, if I remember correctly, I think I beat the second game before I beat the first one. I think I struggled with the final boss in the first one.

I had a love/hate relationship with Rygar. Yes, the difficulty was all in the fact that you didn't know where the hell to go. And it had no save or password feature, so I thought it was cruel as fuck when I first started playing it. But once you figured it out, the rest of the game wasn't all that tough. I remember I bought it because my friend raved about how it was better than Castlevania. Good game, but I still prefer Castlevania.
Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 are secretly two of the best games of all time. Not only were those cutscenes badass but so was the music. Damn that shit got you pumped up. And it was the perfect game for the whole ninja cash in movement of the 80s. I mean it had demons, hot bitches, ninja stars. For a kid in the 80s you could not have crafted a better setting for a game. I didn't even get into the gameplay. The game was all about memorizing the levels and hit patterns, but once you figured it out you were able to fly through the levels like a legit ninja. It just all comes together perfectly in the NES games.

And yeah I don't know what to think about Rygar. Part of me is convinced it is garbo game. I mean thinking back on it I don't think I still understand what any of those bald statue guys were telling us. That shit was almost as bad as the dialogue in Castlevania 2, which is so horribly translated that you had to call Nintendo hotline to figure out how to pass one area of the game.

And your friend is dumb. Castlevania 1 shits all over Rygar. That game is still perfect today. One of the best games with shit controls (that somehow work perfectly!) I have ever played.

And your friend is dumb. Castlevania 1 shits all over Rygar. That game is still perfect today. One of the best games with shit controls (that somehow work perfectly!) I have ever played.

I agree! While others proclaim different games from the series to be the best, I still love the first one the most. Third one is good, but one seals the deal.

Speaking of which, most of the Konami silver box games were the bomb. Rush n Attack, Gradius, Life Force, Jackal, Blades of Steel...all great.

ChanHuk

Banned
Everything is old in here. The jokes (how many times are ChanHuk and Gata going to mock-insult each other while hugging each other secretly?), the people, the arguments and yet I always enjoy coming in e.

I will never hug the Gata you degenerate cock monger.

squicken

One of the loudest criticisms of ESPN is that its aggressively mainstream approach creates a sycophantic celebrity culture built around the biggest stars and juiciest plots, from the agonies of the L.A. Lakers, to the scandals of Tiger Woods, to the postmodern dramedy of Tim Tebow. But according to Elberse, the company’s superstar culture is the best strategy for a fat-headed world.

“It’s not different from People realizing that there are only five celebrities who really sell [magazines], so why put anyone else on the cover?” she said. “It’s Hollywood making more movies with Marvel characters. It reduced the risk, and it works.” The company’s core strengths stem from a superstar-first approach to sports news. Essentially, ESPN is in the business of building athletes into superheroes, because, like Walt Disney Pictures, it is in the business of building blockbusters.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ost-valuable-network/309433/?single_page=true

bionic77

I won't defame Tebow like they did but that perfectly sums up the Lebron James experience.

I agree! While others proclaim different games from the series to be the best, I still love the first one the most. Third one is good, but one seals the deal.

Speaking of which, most of the Konami silver box games were the bomb. Rush n Attack, Gradius, Life Force, Jackal, Blades of Steel...all great.
I have to agree with everything you said!

Back in the 80s you had to take a lot of chances on videogames because there was zero information on them. Konami was one of the sure bets back then (along with Nintendo, and Capcom).

Life Force is probably my favorite shooter of all time btw. Damn that game was so much fun and 2 player! Thank God for that Konami code...

Fantomex

I will never hug the Gata you degenerate cock monger.

You pay the degenerate league fee yet?

And regarding the NES. This idiot only did one thing per level, then you had to reset him to help you again ONE WHOLE TIME. Stupid R.O.B. He was the Scott Mitchell of backup help.

140013_original.jpg

Fox318

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Nuclear Dawn -- MB-01A5EB990358AB86

squicken

Driver on Jennings, plus Rodgers' poor leadership

Said Driver: “We’ve always said that the quarterback is the one that needs to take the pressure off everyone else. If a guy runs the wrong route, it’s easy for the quarterback to say, ‘Hey, I told him to run that route’ than for the guy to be like, ‘Well, I ran the wrong route.’ Sometimes you ask Aaron to take the pressure off the guys so we won’t look bad, but he didn’t want to do that. He felt like if you did something bad, you do it. But I think that’s the difference. You want that leadership, and I think sometimes you may not feel like you got it. You have to earn that respect at the end of the day, and I think that’s what Greg was probably referring to.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/po...ver-on-the-greg-jennings-aaron-rodgers-issues

Greg

Life Force! That level with the fire used to kick my ass.

mjc

Rodgers is a perfectionist, he hates himself when he screws up. No surprise that he won't pick up his teammates when they screw up.

bionic77

You pay the degenerate league fee yet?

And regarding the NES. This idiot only did one thing per level, then you had to reset him to help you again ONE WHOLE TIME. Stupid R.O.B. He was the Scott Mitchell of backup help.

140013_original.jpg
Wrong.

Even though I probably only used Rob like 5 times and he was super inefficient, I just won't hear a negative word about him. He was awesome!

Cowards gonna coward...

squicken

That is a totally accurate description of ESPN. And while I still enjoy a summer blockbuster here and there, I've been completely burned out on ESPN's brand of sports journalism. Though when it comes to the NFL, they certainly aren't the only ones who employ that broadcast style.

I have no doubt Fox1 will do the exact same thing. What really disappoints is that NFLN does the same thing. I don't watch MLB or NBA, but I wonder if their networks look at the rest of the league more than the NFLN does? Seems when I watch NFLN it's just terrible parodies of First Take

eznark

Banned
He felt like if you did something bad, you do it. But I think that’s the difference
lol, only a wide receiver would cry about being held accountable for their mistakes. What a fucking bunch of crybabies. Thank God Ted Thompson recognizes they are wholly interchangeable 95% of the time.

bionic77

Driver and Jennings played with Favre - most of the times it probably was his fault.

Be accountable. Rodgers can't catch it for you, old biiiiiitch.
:lol

No one wants to play with that "guy" on your team. The team knows who fucked up. But in the media you are supposed to stick up for your guys and the captain is supposed to take it all on himself.

squicken

Not saying you guys are wrong about whiny WRs, but I've never heard any of Brady, Brees, or Manning's WRs complain about their leadership.

Top Bottom