• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

Milchjon

The dubstep gun is so fucking good. I also like how when you change the look of it the music changes also.

Fucking thieves. I made a Space Invaders clone (Bass Invaders) half a year ago for a course where you had to defend yourself from old people with dubstep drop blasts.

No one else but me would have such a unique idea! And I'm sure they hadn't planned it 6 month before the release! Scummy thieves.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I made a Space Invaders clone (Bass Invaders) half a year ago for a course where you had to defend yourself from old people with dubstep drop blasts.

Did those beats also cause nearby old people who weren't being directly hit to start dancing while causing all nearby vehicles to start bouncing like lowriders, even if they weren't equipped with hydraulics?

I can't wait to unlock unlimited ammo for this thing, I can spend hours just walking around town blasting it in the air just to witness the spectacle.

Colasante

TE Michael Williams of the Lions broke his hand against the Patriots last night. Not a big deal since he was a seventh rounder this year and wasn't even a lock to make the team, but I really liked him at Alabama and thought he could be a great blocking TE for a team with a questionable offensive line.

Milchjon

Did those beats also cause nearby old people who weren't being directly hit to start dancing while causing all nearby vehicles to start bouncing like lowriders, even if they weren't equipped with hydraulics?.

Of course not! I'm fucking inept. :-D

It was basically Memory Leak: The Game. I was just happy the basics worked and it was actually a bit of fun.

But yeah, SR4 looks fun.

Trasher

Agree 100%. The LB corps is mediocre at their absolute best and the offense is going to be a disaster if CJ is out. I wanted a WR early in the draft--we desperately need it now.

I'm super worried about our LBs. None of them besides Tulloch strike me as anything solid. And generally you want at least one big playmaker in there who is better than solid... Levy is kinda decent I suppose? And we are gonna have to settle for Palmer? Ugh. I suppose they think that our D line will help cover up those weaknesses, but that's not going to work for 16 games. I feel like we are just going to get burned in the middle of the field all year by TEs and RBs matching up against our LBs.

Our WR corps really scares me as well. Burleson is a great leader and all, but he is barely a 3rd wideout on any other decent offense imo. I have hardly scene Broyles and I'm guessing it's because they are trying to keep him healthy and fresh, but I'm holding out hope that he can be our 2nd WR. Still seems like quite the question mark at this point though. I really don't see any of those other guys stepping up. If we want to run the passing offense we want to run, then we need another star wideout.

LiveWire

I'm super worried about our LBs. None of them besides Tulloch strike me as anything solid. And generally you want at least one big playmaker in there who is better than solid... Levy is kinda decent I suppose? And we are gonna have to settle for Palmer? Ugh. I suppose they think that our D line will help cover up those weaknesses, but that's not going to work for 16 games. I feel like we are just going to get burned in the middle of the field all year by TEs and RBs matching up against our LBs

You guys have Rocky McIntosh at OLB right? He's not a big playmaker by any means but he'll hold down the spot well enough. Your front four will make him look good. You're right to worry about the Lions WRs and their offense in general.

Eleuin

My teeth are fucked. First an open bite and now my roots are short.

Can't wait to off myself at 50

Oh well at least football today.

effzee

Goo morning, NFL-Gaf. Steelers/Eagles update:

STEAGLES!

Not a bad move for the Eagles. Their depth at OLB is ridiculously thin especially for a team transitioning to a 3-4 scheme.

Plus with injuries to expected ST contributes like LB Philips this opens the door for Robinson to back up the starters and make a name for himself on STs.

As for Felix Jones, if our backfield was less crowded he would have made the team. I don't know where he is on his recovery schedule but compared to McCoy, Brown, and Polk he did nothing to stand out. I doubt @ age 26 he lost all his abilities. He probably needs more time to recover.

TE Michael Williams of the Lions broke his hand against the Patriots last night. Not a big deal since he was a seventh rounder this year and wasn't even a lock to make the team, but I really liked him at Alabama and thought he could be a great blocking TE for a team with a questionable offensive line.

Sucks, I like him as well. The Lions TE battle is pretty damn good this year, too. Fauria had a damn good game last night, seems likely he'll make the team.

LevelNth

Banned
Step whatthefuckever: Deadspin gives coverage of the story to people who would otherwise ignore ESPN, even linking to all of various ESPN articles referring to the story thus making sure ESPN gets even more life out of the story while Deadspin uses the story to get their own clicks.
I've never understood why people go so far as disliking sports coverage or news stories. I mean, these sports networks only do two things: report factual events (highlights, etc.) or put on paid analysts who give breakdowns and whatever. Ie. opinions. Paid opinions.

Deadspin just needs to not care. If an ESPN personality says something smart, that's cool. If they don't, that's cool too. Because regardless of either, their goal is to maintain/increase viewership, because they are paid.

There's no way I could in good conscience ask for a receiver in the early rounds of the draft. Not after the Millen train and picking up WRs in the second round for two years consecutively in Titus and Broyles. We can only keep going to that particular well so many times.

At this point, the destiny of this team and the future of the franchise falls on Stafford and the coaching staff, Schwartz in particular. Stafford needs to be able to hit tight windows--he's shown the ability, but not the consistency--and he needs to be able to occasionally do it using receivers that weren't gifted to him via high draft picks. He's been given enough of those weapons already.

I still put more of this on the coaches, though. They've been downplaying any level of concern for Stafford's mechanics, and between that and the still-constant string of personal fouls and just plain stupidity (thanks Willie Young), I don't believe that they have the chops to adequately target and correct team mistakes. The problems we've seen crop up on the field during the preseason are the same problems that we suffered from during last year's regular season--I find that to be extremely informative.

The first step is admitting a problem exists...and thus far the Lions staff completely refuses to admit it. Stafford's mechanics look bad, and his entire throwing style is completely tuned to throwing to a 6'6 guy who happens to be the best WR in the league, and thus can make bad throws work. He flubbed a lot of easy throws last night, including that first screen attempt for Bush that looked like he was throwing to...a 6'6 guy. He missed a variety of small and medium throw windows to receivers; some of that has to do with WRs not getting separation but at the same time...I saw Kellen Moore hit those windows last night. I saw Shaun Hill do it last week.

He'll have crazy stats thanks to Megatron and Bush, but once again it probably won't translate to wins, or big plays when we need them.

bionic77

How is the Steelers DL / Pass Rush looking this season? I really want the fairly young Chiefs OL to show improvement over last weekend (although Fisher may not play) but I am going to want an honest gauge of the line they are competing against on saturday.

This may seem like a homer statement, but I think we have made good progress in fixing a lot of the issues that drove us to a 2-14 record last season. I am worried about our O-line with a rookie at RT and a second year guy at LG and after watching them get manhandled by the 49ers D line and blitzers I am officially concerned.
From what I have seen, kind of eh outside of Woodley.

Worilds is just plain back and our rookie is a little too green to seal the deal when he gets pressure.

Dear Flacco,

We paid you 120 mil to play like shit. Fuck You
You are being harsh on the guy. Until he won the SB he was my favorite quarterback in the division.

Not many players have given me so many positive memories in such a short period of time...

Just another example of nature being a frightening thing (Centipede vs a snake).

They don't bug me too much. Same for spiders. I usually like to keep a spider around in my den to take care of any undocumented insects.;)

I'm pretty must fine with any spider or insect save for two - centipedes and roaches.

I hate centipedes but I am disgusted beyond imagination by roaches.

The day I discovered that there are roaches 5 times the regular small size that can fly? Ughhhhhhhh

Hunter S.

house centipedes aren't bad

they only come out at night, don't bother me, and eat the things that do

It was mathematically calculated that every person will swallow about 5 spiders in their sleep during their lifetime.

I wonder how many centipedes you bug eaters have swallowed in your sleep? So glad there are hardly any insects and arachnids where I live. Ohio sucks.

effzee

Step whatthefuckever: Deadspin gives coverage of the story to people who would otherwise ignore ESPN, even linking to all of various ESPN articles referring to the story thus making sure ESPN gets even more life out of the story while Deadspin uses the story to get their own clicks.

I've never understood why people go so far as disliking sports coverage or news stories. I mean, these sports networks only do two things: report factual events (highlights, etc.) or put on paid analysts who give breakdowns and whatever. Ie. opinions. Paid opinions.

Deadspin just needs to not care. If an ESPN personality says something smart, that's cool. If they don't, that's cool too. Because regardless of either, their goal is to maintain/increase viewership, because they are paid.

Yup.

ESPN has 2-3 24 hours a day tv networks plus ESPN Radio. They need to fill the air with something and Football more than any other sport fills the void even when the season hasn't even started. What else are they supposed to talk about?

And these deadspin idiots even implied during the Manti Teo fiasco that ESPN somehow covered up the lie or that they knew it was fishy but never bothered checking into it because of course ESPN is all about protecting ND Football (which NBC if any channel would be interested in) or sports/athletes in general.

They all lack the basic understanding of what and how these shows get ratings. ESPN's only agenda is ratings. And they do whatever they can to main and grow their ratings.

jakncoke

Banned
Whatever Felix Jones does is bonus, As Adrian Robinson was out of practice squad eligibility and wasnt likely to make the team imo anyways. Now the RB sitation is curious. Does this mean Batch is gone? maybe Redman or Dywer?

Fox318

If the Jets don't go with Geno Smith does that say more about Mark Sanchez winning the Job or more about Geno Smith being a draft bust who can't beat Sanchez for a job?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Whatever Felix Jones does is bonus, As Adrian Robinson was out of practice squad eligibility and wasnt likely to make the team imo anyways. Now the RB sitation is curious. Does this mean Batch is gone? maybe Redman or Dywer?

It's got to be over for Batch, unless Le'Veon is really done for the season.

If the Jets don't go with Geno Smith does that say more about Mark Sanchez winning the Job or more about Geno Smith being a draft bust who can't beat Sanchez for a job?

More about who gives better foot massages.

chan eats spiders for free

Fried tarantulas are a delicacy in Cambodia.

Always wanted to try one.

rF7ojf2.jpg

bionic77

Isn't Batch a media guy now? I thought I read that when he came out and said Ben lost his audible privileges (along with riding motorcycles and being alone with obese sorority chicks).

squicken

John Madden on read option QBs

http://www.latimes.com/sports/footb...e-20130821,0,5616622,full.story#axzz2cpEmZgyM

In a read-option offense, a scheme rapidly gaining popularity in the league, a quarterback often looks like a running back, whether he actually has the ball or is simply pretending to hold it.

So what happens when an irresistible force — a defensive player hellbent on taking a free shot at the quarterback — meets an otherwise untouchable object?

We may find out early and often next month, as pro defenses have had a lot more time to prepare for offenses that last year seemed exotic. There's a belief among many people in NFL circles that running quarterbacks will pay the price this season, more than they did last fall, against defenses that are not going to be as tentative and under-prepared. That's a potential problem for the league.

"Every guy I've talked to is going to go after the quarterback," said Hall of Fame coach John Madden, co-chairman of the NFL's safety committee. "That's going to be their answer. If you watch what they did last year, a lot of guys played the quarterback. If he pitches, get off him. If he keeps it, tackle him. Now, they're just going to go after him whether he pitches or not."

Put simply by Arizona Cardinals Coach Bruce Arians: "If you put a quarterback in harm's way enough times, harm will come to him."

Fox318

It's got to be over for Batch, unless Le'Veon is really done for the season.

More about who gives better foot massages.
Rex is in win or lose his job mode.

He wants to win. If his team improves this year they will have something like 60 million in free cap room next year to acquire talent. If they can make the playoffs this year or have a good looking team they could win it all next year with a good draft and some free agent pickups.

Top Bottom