• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

Colasante

For posterity, here's my attempt at a 53 man roster for the Patriots:

Offense

QB (3): Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett, Tim Tebow
RB (4): Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Brandon Bolden, LeGarrette Blount
FB (1): James Develin
WR (6): Danny Amendola, Kenbrell Thompkins, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, Julian Edelman, Matthew Slater
TE (4): Rob Gronkowski, Zach Sudfeld, Daniel Fells, Michael Hoomanawanui
OL (7): Nate Solder, Logan Mankins, Ryan Wendell, Marcus Cannon, Sebastian Vollmer, Dan Connolly, Will Svitek

Defense

DE (6): Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Justin Francis, Michael Buchanan, Marcus Benard, Jake Bequette
DT (4): Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly, Marcus Forston, Joe Vellano
CB (5): Aqib Talib, Alfonzo Dennard, Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Marquice Cole
S (4): Devin McCourty, Steve Gregory, Duron Harmon, Tavon Wilson
LB (6): Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Dane Fletcher, Steve Beauharnais

ST (3): Stephen Gostkowski, Zoltan Mesko, Danny Aiken

PUP/NFI (2): Armond Armstead, Mark Harrison

Tough Cuts: Jermaine Cunningham, Leon Washington, Jake Ballard, Nate Ebner

I could also see upgrades at the DT and S positions coming through waiver claims. Not nearly enough depth/quality at those positions.

Andre Brown injury doesn't appear to be as serious as a complete break. I think it was posted that it was a "tiny crack" last night and that does indeed appear to be the case. 4-6 week recovery time is being speculated which isn't bad at all if true.

The NFC East is the NFC's version of that. It is the Redskins and everyone else.
This is a joke, right? Just about every team in the division has substantial flaws and question marks. It's a weak division in general and I wouldn't put any team as being much ahead of the other. Much like the past few years, the division will be decided in the last two regular season games.

The NFC East is the new NFC West. If there's any division challenging the AFC East for its crown as a one team division, it's the AFC West.

This is a joke, right? Just about every team in the division has substantial flaws and question marks. It's a weak division in general and I wouldn't put any team as being much ahead of the other. Much like the past few years, the division will be decided in the last two regular season games.

I really think the Skins are going to win it fairly easily. I think the Eagles are going to be about the same as last year, and the Cowboys will be worse then last year with the switch to a new defense and all the coaching turmoil, and the Giants just dont seem to be a good regular season team. If the Giants sneak into the playoffs they can beat anyone but I think the Skins go like 12-4 this year. I think their D will be improved and RGIII should be better this year and they already have a fantastic rushing attack.

Colasante

So geriatric Adrian Wilson is cut I presume?

Yeah, even with his weaknesses in coverage I thought he'd make the team as a S/LB hybrid, but there's really no reason to keep him around when you can have comparable play from Tavon.

Bummer, the Falcons cut Brian Banks. I was hoping he could make the team. Hopefully he can get to the practice squad and develop.

BigAT

I don't know why when everyone talks about how the Redskins are going to do this year, the guy with 2 ACL tears in the last 4 years, including one less than 9 months ago, is suddenly a lock to make it through the season unscathed.

rando14

I don't know why when everyone talks about how the Redskins are going to do this year, the guy with 2 ACL tears in the last 4 years, including one less than 9 months ago, is suddenly a lock to make it through the season unscathed.

not to mention he's playing on the shittiest most dangerous field in the nfl

Obviously injuries to any team is going to change their outlook, I just dont think you can assume an injury. Obviously if RGIII gets hurt that throws all predictions out the window. Just like if Eli got hurt that would change the Giants out look. When Vick gets hurt that is going to hurt the Eagles.

BigAT

Obviously injuries to any team is going to change their outlook, I just dont think you can assume an injury. Obviously if RGIII gets hurt that throws all predictions out the window. Just like if Eli got hurt that would change the Giants out look. When Vick gets hurt that is going to hurt the Eagles.

I don't think it's even close to the same thing. It's incredibly reasonable to talk about Bobby Griff not being to able to make it through the full season. First off, he wasn't able to do it last year. Secondly, knees just don't magically get stronger with each subsequent ACL tear. He's also in a position to a lot more hits than a traditional pocket passer, increasing his chances for another injury.

Obviously the Giants would be devastated if Eli went down, but to this point he has never missed a single game. It's an unlikely scenario. On the other hand, Robert Griffin is an injury waiting to happen and that fact warrants definite consideration when you're projecting the Redskins season.

It's like you guys don't even realize the next Tom Brady is already on our roster.

cc031375390513.jpg

I don't think it's even close to the same thing. It's incredibly reasonable to talk about Bobby Griff not being to able to make it through the full season. First off, he wasn't able to do it last year. Secondly, knees just don't magically get stronger with each subsequent ACL tear. He's also in a position to a lot more hits than a traditional pocket passer, increasing his chances for another injury.

Obviously the Giants would be devastated if Eli went down, but to this point he has never missed a single game. It's an unlikely scenario. On the other hand, Robert Griffin is an injury waiting to happen and that fact warrants definite consideration when you're projecting the Redskins season.

I totally see what you are saying I just dont see anyway to reasonably factor that in. If he is healthy all year I think they are the best team in the East, but if he misses significant time then yeah it is wide open for the Giants. It will definitely be one of those 2 teams though.

Edit: Dark Skins did manage to hold it together last year when RGIII got hurt but I cant imagine they could do the same again.

BigAT

Speaking of RG3:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Per ESPN's Trey Wingo: doctor has expressed concern about how Redskins plan to use RGIII in their offense.

What @wingoz also reports: Dr. Andrews does not want Redskins to expose RGIII's knee to punishment during games.

Good luck with that.

How do you not expose a QBs knee to punishment during a game? Brady doesnt run at all and he still has had his knee wrecked. Sounds like the doc is just trying to cover his ass if he gets hurt again.

Speaking of RG3:

Per ESPN's Trey Wingo: doctor has expressed concern about how Redskins plan to use RGIII in their offense.

What @wingoz also reports: Dr. Andrews does not want Redskins to expose RGIII's knee to punishment during games.

Good luck with that.
He is so screwed.

Hello football gaf! I'm going through some stuff right now so I really could use a distraction....I have my fantasy draft coming up on Sunday and this is the 2nd time I've done this so any tips?? Also I'm a Dolphins fan :D

Shannahan cant seriously send him out there at less then 100% again, right? Where the fuck is the owner in all this. He never should have come back last year and now they are going to let him start the season when they could let him train more and build up the strength in the knee more. I cant think of many more short sighted decisions then this.

I totally see what you are saying I just dont see anyway to reasonably factor that in. If he is healthy all year I think they are the best team in the East, but if he misses significant time then yeah it is wide open for the Giants. It will definitely be one of those 2 teams though.
My issue was comparing the NFC East to the AFC East. That just comes off as serious hyperbole to me. There's little question in anyones mind that the Pats are winning the AFC East. You have one team that may be getting their shit together in the Dolphins and two teams that are completely irrelevant to the discussion. The NFC East? You could make a case for every team winning or losing that division. You ask 10 people to predict a division winner and you're likely to get some very different responses.

Like I said, it's weak ass division but a competitive one in the sense that no team is a truly a division powerhouse the way the Eagles were in the early/mid 00's for instance.

Hello football gaf! I'm going through some stuff right now so I really could use a distraction....I have my fantasy draft coming up on Sunday and this is the 2nd time I've done this so any tips?? Also I'm a Dolphins fan :D
Stock up on RB's and WR's early, wait until at least round 4 or 5 to get a QB (assuming 12 team league or so), make your last three picks TE, D, K. I'm not a pro or anything but that's generally my strategy and it tends to work out fairly well most of the time.

You should post here more often, we can never have enough Dolphins fans!

eznark

Banned
Shannahan cant seriously send him out there at less then 100% again, right? Where the fuck is the owner in all this. He never should have come back last year and now they are going to let him start the season when they could let him train more and build up the strength in the knee more. I cant think of many more short sighted decisions then this.

Maybe they like Cousins more. I don't honestly think it's that far fetched. In his tiny sample size, Cousins was better than RGIII last year.

Maybe 100% isn't possible.

Take Gronkowski in the first round. He'll lead you to your championship.

jbug617

Banned
@RapSheet The #Patriots have cut TE Daniel Fells, source tells me. Signed a three-year, $5.25M contract last year.

Not really a surprise

For posterity, here's my attempt at a 53 man roster for the Patriots:

Offense

QB (3): Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett, Tim Tebow
RB (4): Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Brandon Bolden, LeGarrette Blount
FB (1): James Develin
WR (6): Danny Amendola, Kenbrell Thompkins, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, Julian Edelman, Matthew Slater
TE (4): Rob Gronkowski, Zach Sudfeld, Daniel Fells, Michael Hoomanawanui
OL (7): Nate Solder, Logan Mankins, Ryan Wendell, Marcus Cannon, Sebastian Vollmer, Dan Connolly, Will Svitek

Defense

DE (6): Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Justin Francis, Michael Buchanan, Marcus Benard, Jake Bequette
DT (4): Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly, Marcus Forston, Joe Vellano
CB (5): Aqib Talib, Alfonzo Dennard, Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Marquice Cole
S (4): Devin McCourty, Steve Gregory, Duron Harmon, Tavon Wilson
LB (6): Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Dane Fletcher, Steve Beauharnais

ST (3): Stephen Gostkowski, Zoltan Mesko, Danny Aiken

PUP/NFI (2): Armond Armstead, Mark Harrison

Tough Cuts: Jermaine Cunningham, Leon Washington, Jake Ballard, Nate Ebner

I could also see upgrades at the DT and S positions coming through waiver claims. Not nearly enough depth/quality at those positions.

Ballard and Washington getting cut? I dont see it.

BigAT

It seems hard to not consider 9 months a rush job for an ACL tear, especially when it is the second tear. Didn't Andrews also throw the Redskins staff under the bus when Griffin was originally injured? Definitely agree that he's covering himself here.

Stock up on RB's and WR's early, wait until at least round 4 or 5 to get a QB (assuming 12 team league or so), make your last three picks TE, D, K. I'm not a pro or anything but that's generally my strategy and it tends to work out fairly well most of the time.

You should post here more often, we can never have enough Dolphins fans!

Thanks! I always thought QBs would be taken higher, yeah it's a 12 man league. I have terrible luck with RBs, last year every RB I would pick up would end up injured a few weeks after :/ I will defiantly post here more often i didn't know there was a football thread :D

Edit:

Take Gronkowski in the first round. He'll lead you to your championship.

And have a pat in my team? Hell no...

DSmalls84

Hopefully my madden QB franchise isn't a sign of things to come this season for the Falcons. My O-line is shit and I get sacked 5 times per game, Roddy and Tony G broke their collarbone, and Matt Ryan was traded to the Jags week 2. SJax has been relegated to screen pass catcher since he averages 2 ypc on any non-draw play. Has me a little concerned lol.

Thanks! I always thought QBs would be taken higher, yeah it's a 12 man league. I have terrible luck with RBs, last year every RB I would pick up would end up injured a few weeks after :/ I will defiantly post here more often i didn't know there was a football thread :D
Yeah, depth at RB is huge. If you get really lucky you will end up with three or four quality starters which can help you with trades down the line.

So what are your thoughts on the Dolphins going into this season? What are your expectations and biggest concerns?

Matt Ryan was traded to the Jags week 2.
wut

Top Bottom