• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 12 |OT| - Where the winners win and the Jets lose.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Nothing came of it as I posted this yesterday. Uncle Bob still has the final say and Im not very confident he will actually do it. The signs are there though.....Lance Z stated this morning that Dre's vocal opinion didn't stop when he left the field Sunday. He tore into Matt and Kubiak in the locker room. Now the players are turning on fans saying we are too wishy washy and the team deserves better. lol

Ah. Well, where there's smoke and owners meetings...

Vio-Lence

Banned
Lovie Smith would be a good coach for the Lions. They should easily win the division with the injuries to the Packers and Bears, but I bet they find some way to miss the playoff with Schwarz. Dude is a clown.

Lovie Smith would be a good coach for the Lions. They should easily win the division with the injuries to the Packers and Bears, but I bet they find some way to miss the playoff with Schwarz. Dude is a clown.

Yeah there's a ton of talent on that team that will drag his sorry ass to another year of having a job. Lions go 2-14 again next year

Where's Reggie at in his quest for 1800?

Milchjon

A8e8J4E.png

Eli's interceptions mapped against the record holders.

It was a joke guys. Doesnt matter what anyone says realy. Even Sheik Imam Barack Hussein Obama (as eznark would say) could say its the wrong but it doesnt matter.

Bowser

One last post on the call last night. FO's Scott Kacsmar:

Having to go for the end zone, Brady stepped up in the pocket, but underthrew a pass to Gronkowski that was easily intercepted by Robert Lester to end the game. However, we had a flag in the end zone as linebacker Luke Kuechly clearly did grab the tight end. The referees talked it over and said there was no penalty and the game was over. The stunning ending drove up the controversy, but the ruling was that the pass was uncatchable, so there cannot be any pass interference.

Now the contact did not happen until the ball was in the air, so there's no illegal contact and there's no defensive holding (Rule 8, Section 4, Article 7). When McCourty was penalized for defensive holding earlier, that contact happened before the ball was even in the air. So it has to be pass interference or nothing, and the referees determined it was uncatchable.

Gronkowski's momentum carried him to the back of the end zone. He made zero effort to come back to the ball. He simply watched the interception unfold. Even if Kuechly did not hug him, the underthrown ball would have forced him to make a cut back to the front of the end zone to have any chance of catching the ball.

Just based on the laws of physics, there's no way Gronkowski could have made this catch, so I agree with the uncatchable ruling, which is a judgment call. Every week there are passes likely impossible to be caught that are deemed catchable, so it's not a ruling referees are consistent on.

However, something still feels shady about the play and what Kuechly did, which was not even necessary as Gronkowski would never get in a position to make the catch.

This ending serves as a reminder that NFL referees are afraid of making critical calls on a late fourth down or on a game-ending play like this. We saw it with the Golden Tate play against Green Bay. Anyone asking for offensive pass interference there is dreaming. In recent history, only the Browns in 2009 against Detroit were penalized for defensive pass interference on a Hail Mary. Referees let guys get away with murder down there.

We saw it in the Super Bowl when there was no call on the Ravens on fourth down for how they defended Michael Crabtree. This is just how the NFL works.

When it comes to referees and critical calls, you live by the sword and you die by the sword. The Patriots should know that as well as any team. Here's Gronkowski pushing off on a fourth-down touchdown against the Giants in 2011:

Gronkd.gif

There's another crucial fourth down with no penalty. Oddly enough, that's the last time Brady suffered a lost comeback (he only has three in his career).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/clutch-encounters/2013/clutch-encounters-week-11

I agree with this point that Keek made the play seem shady because of how he played it. He didn't need to get that physical with Gronk, there was no way Gronk was going to be able to make it to that ball.

Oh well, dem's the breaks.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Johnny football should easily be available in the mid 20s for the Niners to get. Believe!

DMczaf

Depends on if Talib, Dennard and Arrington play.

If not and they lose, I'll just use them not playing as an excuse.

If they play, Peyton has 4 TDs in a single game.

If they don't play, Peyton has 4 TDs in a single game.

If God comes down from Heaven and plays CB, Peyton has 4 TDs in a single game.

Tom Penny

I don't think the Pats are beating Denver. They blew another good chance last night. They would have been in good position for the 2 seed now they will be in a dogfight with Indy and the Bungles.

If they play, Peyton has 4 TDs in a single game.

If they don't play, Peyton has 4 TDs in a single game.

If God comes down from Heaven and plays CB, Peyton has 4 TDs in a single game.

Yeah but then the Pats would only need 5 TDs.

Oh and congrats on fucking yourselves out of a good draft spot and end up with the 12th pick in the draft.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You guys proved that little people can succeed in the NFL at QB so why not?
Little people who throw like a stud can succeed in the NFL. Little people who throw like Tim Tebow probably won't, because big people who throw like Tim Tebow don't.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Crying about ref calls is the lowest form of complaining in sports.

what about just complaining about the refs in general?

I watch a lot of football, like most of us here, and it seems ridiculous to me that I can watch 2 different games, of which I have zero rooting interest in and see the same type of play called different by the officials. Pass interference is ridiculous now, almost anytime a receiver gets touched he's getting up asking for a damn flag, but in one game a defender can have his back to the ball and have pretty good coverage on the receiver but its PI "cause he didnt play the ball" but in another game the same thing can happen and it doesnt get called. Its really arbitrary.

My wife casually watches with me while she does other things, the other day when the Pats were playing the Saints, the pats got a beneficial call and she just casually goes, does it seem like to you that the pats get favoritism from the refs? If someone that casually watches football can see that, then i think there may be a problem.

Jeff-DSA

Patriots fans whining about a bad PI call/no call? Give me a break. The only freaking reason that they beat the Dolphins earlier this season is because they scored 20 of their 27 points on drives that were extended by BAD CALL PENALTIES on 3rd downs. The refs gave you a game then, and that was a divisional game. You were outplayed in all aspects of the game that day, but the refs do what they usually do and bailed Brady out.

Quit whining, you have no right. Once out of 50 isn't enough to get up in a riot over.

Patriots fans whining about a bad PI call/no call? Give me a break. The only freaking reason that they beat the Dolphins earlier this season is because they scored 20 of their 27 points on drives that were extended by BAD CALL PENALTIES on 3rd downs. The refs gave you a game then, and that was a divisional game. You were outplayed in all aspects of the game that day, but the refs do what they usually do and bailed Brady out.

Quit whining, you have no right. Once out of 50 isn't enough to get up in a riot over.

Score zero points in the 2nd half and whine about the refs. yeah that had nothing to do with it.

Top Bottom