• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 12 |OT| - Where the winners win and the Jets lose.

Bowser

GROVER

If you haven't given gata an avi, let's make him use this one:

BZaKCg0CEAA9IFh.jpg:large

RBH

In Trent Richardson’s ideal world, he’d be running through defenses and threatening records the way he did at the University of Alabama.

But in reality, the Indianapolis Colts running back has been struggling to gain traction as the team tries to breathe life into its running game.

Richardson likely isn’t living up to his own — or his team’s —expectations. His 2.8-yard per carry average since joining the Colts via a trade with the Browns in September has sparked significant debate among fans and media about Richardson’s ability to be a true franchise back.

But Monday he offered a vigorous defense for himself.

“I’m not frustrated at all because I think I’ve been playing good,” Richardson said. “If you turn on the film, I don’t have any missed assignments. I haven’t had any missed reads. I’ve been playing good. Stuff just hasn’t matched up like we thought it would when I’m in there. I think teams match up differently when I come in.

“But if (running back) Donald (Brown) is having a good day or (quarterback) Andrew (Luck) is having a good day, I think that’s a good day for me even if people are keying on me. That might let Donald get going or let Andrew have a big day. That’s a good day for me, too.”

Coach Chuck Pagano seems to agree. He said Friday that Richardson has been, for the most part, a victim of circumstance, suggesting there hasn’t often been room to run for Richardson.

“You look at Trent’s runs, for whatever reason, there’s penetration (by defenders),” Pagano said. “You feel bad. A guy gets the ball handed off to him and all of a sudden, there’s a guy sitting there for whatever reason.”

Richardson suggested opponents have sold out against the run, particularly on early downs. That’s when he gets a majority of his carries.

“If I don’t have big runs because they’re trying to stop the run, then I feel like I’m doing my job,” he said. “Now, if I’m out there missing my reads and not blocking and not being a (complete) back, that’s different. Being an all-around back, you have to be able to block, be able to catch, you just have to make plays every way you can.

“I think I’ve been on my job the whole time.”

Even while the debate rages about whether Richardson or backup Donald Brown should be getting the lion’s share of carries, here’s something everyone can agree on:

There’s a place for both of them in the Colts offense.

Brown emphatically stated his case for an expanded role in Thursday night’s victory over the Tennessee Titans, running for 80 hard-earned yards, usurping some of Richardson’s carries in the process. Brown will remain the complementary back, Pagano said, but the performance has understandably begged questions about whether Brown should be afforded more touches.

Whether that happens remains to be seen, but you can bet you’ll continue to see both Richardson and Brown, in some capacity, with a common goal.

“When (Brown) is doing good, I’m cheering for him, and when I’m doing good I know he’s cheering for me,” Richardson said. “It ain’t a favoritism kind of thing. We’re all out here for one thing and that’s to make sure that, at the end of the day, we’re winning. There’s a lot of fun that comes behind that.”

With the AFC South-leading Colts (7-3), Richardson has already surpassed the win total of his former team, the Browns, in his rookie season last year (5-11). Richardson is enjoying being a part of a winning organization.

Meanwhile, Brown, largely forgotten until recent weeks, is enjoying a revival of sorts.

“Very few teams out there use one back because backs take punishment,” he said. “You have to even out the load a little bit for longevity purposes. It’s a long season so the more weapons you have, the better team you’ll be. That’s our goal.”

However the carries ultimately are distributed and whatever Richardson’s numbers, the Colts feel like they have a formidable backfield combo. It consists of the heavier, more powerful Richardson and the shiftier, faster Brown.

Really, they fit well together because their skill sets and strengths are so varied.

“I think we complement each other,” Brown said. “The running game is always a work in progress and you’ve got to be patient and the runs will come.”

As it relates to Richardson, the Colts are taking a similar approach. They still see him as the potential game-changer they traded a first-round draft choice to acquire, so don’t expect a change in approach.

But Richardson is going to have company, with Brown deserving of a role in the offense.

“I think that when it comes down to it,” Richardson said, “we both support each other.”
http://archive.indystar.com/article...3/Colts-RB-Richardson-defends-his-performance

iMgOW0mRItqpF.gif

MechDX

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein 5m
@MghtyPtrck Yes. Dre kept blasting when he got in there and it was towards schaub and coaches before he finally chilled out.

Lance Z got some inside stuff on Dre after Sundays game.

I am surprised chan could drive anyone away. I always thought that the snes and gata stuff was the worst by far. Chan was just dumb but he could also be funny, which snes and gata never were. The worst stuff by far is the Browns and Bengals fans crying about how mean nfl-gaf is to the poor wittle Pats. I hope the Steelers and Ravens win that division for the rest of time now.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I am surprised chan could drive anyone away. I always thought that the snes and gata stuff was the worst by far. Chan was just dumb but he could also be funny, which snes and gata never were. The worst stuff by far is the Browns and Bengals fans crying about how mean nfl-gaf is to the poor wittle Pats. I hope the Steelers and Ravens win that division for the rest of time now.

Lord beer me strength if the Pats win this year. I will look forward to Gata/Dutch/Milch absolutely eviscerating this thread.

Milchjon

I wish I could selectively ignore any post of yours that mentions the Pats because they're all headed straight to doodoo-town.

And your disdain for gata is just laughable.

Lord beer me strength if the Pats win this year. I will look forward to Gata/Dutch/Milch absolutely eviscerating this thread.

I don't wanna eviscerate. :-/

I'll take the win, though.

Go Cardinals! This week we capture some luck, just the thing we need to make the playoffs. I'm looking forward to seeing him in person as it could be 8 years before he comes back here and I probably won't even be living in Zona by that time.

Also fuck the Pats for keeping the Panthers in the seedings. We should have overtaken them last night. Crazy no one has beaten them since we whooped that ass.

Thur
New Orleans at Atlanta

SUN
Pittsburgh at Cleveland
Tampa Bay at Detroit
Minnesota at Green Bay
San Diego at Kansas City
Chicago at St. Louis
Carolina at Miami (Go Miami!)
NY Jets at Baltimore
Jacksonville at Houston
Tennessee at Oakland
Indianapolis at Arizona
Dallas at NY Giants (Hope NY takes it)
Denver at New England

MON,
San Francisco at Washington (Go Wash!)

MechDX

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2013/11/andre_johnson_walks_off.php

And six games into 2013, you're right back where you started. It's bad.

The team slides dreadfully backwards, largely due to said quarterback, who commits such heinous, unspeakable acts of football self-mutilation that sending the authorities in with a strait jacket was probably advisable. 2013 unraveled, and 2-0 quickly became 2-4.

You're Andre Johnson. You're 32, and the clock is ticking. You deserve better. At the very least, you deserve hope. Finally, it appears, hope knocks.

A second year quarterback, forgotten by 31 other teams, gets an opportunity. Yes, 2-4 became 2-7 in his first three games, but the team was at least competitive (which qualified as progress, at that point) and the lifeless carcass of an offense suddenly had a heartbeat, and for you, something funny happened. The second year quarterback, a gunslinger if nothing else, threw you the ball -- he threw it to you repeatedly, often, and everywhere on the field.

And like a superhero finally discovering his super powers, you realized this is what it should have been like along. Deep balls, contested jump balls, red zone throws, end zone throws, all the throws that for some reason every other NFL quarterback who ever threw you a ball was afraid to throw....these should have been yours for the last ten goddamn years.

YOU ARE ANDRE FUCKING JOHNSON.

And this kid knew it.

It's Week 11, and the kid struggles (although no worse than the previous quarterback was struggling when he got yanked), the kid gets the hook, and back in comes the cement footed, physically limited, walking Ambien tablet that never threw you the ball in a spot where you could be ANDRE FUCKING JOHNSON.

And as Tony Soprano would say, that's what broke the camel's back.

In the third quarter of Sunday's 28-23 loss to the Oakland Raiders, Gary Kubiak gave quarterback Case Keenum ("the kid") the hook, and reinserted Matt Schaub ("the cement footed, physically limited, walking Ambien tablet") in an attempt to win a football game. Carrying with him a 2013 resume adorned in pick sixes and riddled with second half futility, Schaub entered the game to a chorus of boos so loud that, according to guard Wade Smith, the team had to use its silent counts to run plays.

Think about that -- Matt Schaub got a reception at home whose decibel level was commensurate with that of the Texans' worst enemies.

What happened next will either be the beginning of a defining moment or just the latest chapter in the season of Playmakers that 2013 has become here in Houston. (Or both.) Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub, partners in a fairly productive, peaceful coexistence since 2007, yelled at each other on the sidelines, loudly and publicly.

How it started isn't important. What needs to be understood is that Matt Schaub, with millions watching and in the middle of his worst season, thought it was okay to critique and engage argumentatively with Andre Johnson publicly over screwing up. I don't know that Matt Schaub has ever had the equity to make what happened on Sunday acceptable, but if he did, he forfeited that equity several pick sixes ago this season.

Of all the moments Matt Schaub needed to realize he is Matt Schaub, this was it.

And now we know, tone deaf trickles down to the quarterback, in perfect lockstep with his head coach as they steer the franchise into the iceberg, they finally did the seemingly impossible -- they drove one of the few marquee wide receivers who eschews diva tendencies, who always puts team first, to go into business for himself.

With the way Gary Kubiak seems to grade certain players on a curve, I've had to say this many times in 2013 -- there is a breaking point where excess loyalty to poor performers crosses into disloyalty to star performers.

On Sunday, make no mistake, Andre Johnson finally reached that breaking point. On Sunday, Matt Schaub did to Andre Johnson what he's done to so many Texans fans this season.

On Sunday, Matt Schaub made Andre Johnson say, "F*** this."

He is Andre Fucking Johnson!

The funniest thing is when you cry about the Pats all the time.

MechDX

PDS ‏@PatDStat 5m
So good. Owen Daniels said he wants "smart fans" at the game. #Texans

sigh.....bye OD. Been fun

Has there at any time, in the history of the league, has a team turned on its own fans this way?

incdh8wkF3okh.gif

This honestly might be the most impressive throw of Cam's pro career.

Cam was so good, it was stupid. Sure we miss a lot of guys, he had 1 bad decision which could have been intercepted, but besides that he was pretty much perfect. Made great throws at the right time and those 3 scrabbles all on 3rd down absolutely destroyed us.

At least we lost to a good QB this time around. Not that ginger fuck in Cincy and that dumb motherfucking cunt on the bench in NY.

Bowser

Is "in essence" an official football term or something? The ref used it at least four times in explaining the call last night.

In essence.

Barnwell: The Panthers, Not the Refs, Beat New England

The Patriots didn't lose to the Panthers last night because they got jobbed by a bad call on the final play of the game. That's wildly inaccurate. The Patriots lost because they let the game come down to one play from the 18-yard line down four points. They lost because they put off the moment of truth, because they let themselves down with subpar execution in key moments, because they were victimized by the same issues that seem to haunt this team through every one of its notable losses. The Patriots lost to the Panthers on Monday night because they're not as good of a football team as the Panthers, who did all the little things that the old Patriots teams used to get credit for. And that includes daring the refs to call for a game-changing pass interference on the game-deciding play.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...34/the-panthers-not-the-refs-beat-new-england

Barnwell goes on to state that there SHOULD have been a penalty, but defensive holding, not DPI. That would have left the Pats with an untimed down from the 13 yard line, putting their win probability at 30% (was 23% on that last play).

bionic77

If the Lions win their division and win their first round game, but lose in the division round, will Schwartz keep his job?
Yes but if they were smart they would fire him and bring in a good coach. He has held them back. Under him the Lions are always finding new ways to lose.

Jesus I still can't believe he made the fake punt call with the game on the line. Just toss it up to Megatron or test our shit defense (this year they always choke on 4th). They let us off the hook and this year the division was theirs to win and they still might fuck it up. Same with the Browns, though they at least have the excuse of injury.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
12-3 in the pick 'em pool last week. Let me gloat, last week was best week for me. :)

EDIT: I cracked the top ten. I'm coming for ya, dude on top!

Bowser

Really?

Ben does that all the time. I thought it was a nice completion but weird to call that his best throw. I liked the deep completion to Smith more than that one.

Cam's always been very good with the deep ball (except, strangely, this year, where his deep ball accuracy has fallen precipitously). It's these intermediate throws in tight spaces and the redzone where he was god awful as a rookie and not much better last year. I don't think the Cam of last year could make that throw in the gif.

The bad call from last night you won't hear about

hurt.gif

Never mind that he took out my best pass rusher (Thank Tebow it apparently it wasn't as bad as it looked), that should have a 15 yard penalty and killed the drive where the Patriots scored their first TD. If that was Suh, we'd have 10 straight pages of "DIRTY POS"

bionic77

hurt.gif

Never mind that he took out my best pass rusher (Thank Tebow it apparently it wasn't as bad as it looked), that should have a 15 yard penalty and killed the drive where the Patriots scored their first TD. If that was Suh, we'd have 10 straight pages of "DIRTY POS"
Pats line gets away with an obscene amount of holding. To be fair though most "good" lines do as well. Not sure if they are just better at getting away with it due to better talent and superior coaching if or it has to do with rep.

Also to be fair some lines like the Steelers and Dolphins can't even stop guys when they hold...

Bowser

Pats line gets away with an obscene amount of holding. To be fair though most "good" lines do as well. Not sure if they are just better at getting away with it due to better talent and superior coaching if or it has to do with rep.

Also to be fair some lines like the Steelers and Dolphins can't even stop guys when they hold...

Nothing about holding there. It was a leg whip which is illegal and a personal foul.

And dirty as fuck. I don't care if Cannon apologized.

hurt.gif

According to a lot o people we got paid back for it with the missed call at the end.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
If the Lions win their division and win their first round game, but lose in the division round, will Schwartz keep his job?

Yes. Schwartz making the playoffs, even as a wildcard means he gets one more year.

Welcome aboard LionsGAF squick and DX. You guys choose wisely to get on our bandwagon.

This week we face the resurgent Bucs at home.

Tom Penny

Don't know why people are tripping over that last play. Panthers were 8-11 on 3rd down. You have all those chances to get off the field and never do. Simple as that.

Trey

In essence.

Barnwell: The Panthers, Not the Refs, Beat New England

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...34/the-panthers-not-the-refs-beat-new-england

Barnwell goes on to state that there SHOULD have been a penalty, but defensive holding, not DPI. That would have left the Pats with an untimed down from the 13 yard line, putting their win probability at 30% (was 23% on that last play).

A long winded, inefficient way to say that a ball game is decided by a variety of smaller plays, not just the one glaring play.

Couldn't make it through the game last night but it looks like I missed a doozy. Suck it, evil incarnate!

Congratulations on the child, buddy!

Do the Lions have any hype outside of Kas? They haven't even beaten any legit teams. Well maybe Cutler Bears? We've beaten mostly scrubs too but we did take down the Panthers handily and the mighty Lions ;)

Jeff-DSA

hurt.gif

The Patriots o-line gets away with more holding than any other. It's almost like they just get a pass on it. I haven't seen them outright play dirty too often, but this is definitely a case where you could call it dirty play.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
It's disgraceful losing to the Steelers. Two things were especially bad. With an average defense you should have 8 sacks when Ben passes that many times. Lions had one. That's horrible against our line.

Secondly no one should get shut out by our defense. And your team was for 3 quarters.

Either your team choked or they suck. You know them better so I will let you decide which it is.

You guys aren`t as good as before but you`re right in the middle of a potential AFC North title or Wildcard.

Again we played in shitty weather conditions we`re not used to and we played against a pissed off Ben (due to trade rumors) who had a lot to prove.

As for the sack issue, there were numerous times we though we had Ben down and he somehow slipped by, got loose and made a play. He is the only QB in the league who can do that, and IMO that was one of the main reasons we lost.

We didn`t choke and we certainty don`t suck, considering we are third in the NFC, we just lost a tough road game against a team on the rise.

But like I said before if we lose to the Bucs at home then we can sound the panic alarm.

You guys aren`t as good as before but you`re right in the middle of a potential AFC North title or Wildcard.

Again we played in shitty weather conditions we`re not used to and we played against a pissed off Ben (due to trade rumors) who had a lot to prove.

As for the sack issue, there were numerous times we though we had Ben down and he somehow slipped by, got loose and made a play. He is the only QB in the league who can do that, and IMO that was one of the main reasons we lost.

We didn`t choke and we certainty don`t suck, considering we are third in the NFC, we just lost a tough road game against a team on the rise.

But like I said before if we lose to the Bucs at home then we can sound the panic alarm.

If the Lions don't win the division this year you guys will be even more of a laughing stock than you already are. You're playing against 3 teams that don't have a quarterback. Losing to the Steelers of 2013 while having your elite all class all world amazing top tier QB (your words) should be a first class football crime.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
If the Lions don't win the division this year you guys will be even more of a laughing stock than you already are. You're playing against 3 teams that don't have a quarterback. Losing to the Steelers of 2013 while having your elite all class all world amazing top tier QB should be a first class football crime.

We will win the division since we beat the Bears twice this year and when we beat you on Thanksgiving.

Already prepping the excuses for the loss?

It looked like a easy win, where we could put backups in, two weeks ago. Glennon has been playing solid and VJAX may cause some problems for our secondary, but Glennon is a sitting duck back there and the pressure by Suh, Fairley and hopefully Ansah will get to him.

We`ll win in the end its just going to be tougher than I though two weeks ago.

Top Bottom