• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 12 |OT| - Where the winners win and the Jets lose.

Player wise actually. I agree with your opinion earlier in the season that Coughlin is safe.
Gone in 2014:

David Diehl (he's been done for three seasons now)
Kevin Boothe (on a one year deal, back up at best. Might get resigned cheap as they like his versatility. Has no business starting)
Hakeem Nicks (not being resigned)
Mark Herzlich (Great guy, ST'er at best. Need linebackers)
Brandon Jacobs (obvious)
Peyton Hillis (obvious)
Corey Webster (hasn't been on the field for 9 games. Done. McBride has played well in his place)
Chris Snee (Done)
Louis Murphy (1 TD last night and causing a Manning INT last week have been the highlight for his Giants career)
Brandon Myers (middling at best and not a long term answer at the position)
Keith Rivers (Done)
Justin Tuck (Old man still has something left in the tank not enough. An all time great Giant and one of my faves but the time has come)

Off the top of my head. All are gone. Tuck might stick if he's willing to stay on the very cheap.

Earlier this season I would have said Antrel Rolle will be cut as well or needs to take a pay cut but frankly he's been one of the best players on the field for the defense for weeks now and he's having a pro-bowl level season. It's going to be hard to outright cut him with Stevie Brown coming off of an ACL.

Draft: Interior offensive line and defensive end must be a top priority. Linebacker, Cornerback, Tight End and WR are all needs as well.

Can't cut Ben, either!

On a serious note, how much money will cutting Ike and Clark save?
Ike is staying one more season. Got extended. Not sure about Clark.

edit: Kaboly said something I found interesting:

Mark Kaboly said:
Terrence Garvin replacing Vince Williams in the nickel package

Why would they do that? Williams didn't play 3rd downs in college, perhaps they still don't trust him on 3rd down? He couldn't possibly be that slow could he?

Big shout out to Glennondorf and Bucs-GAF. Thank you for getting the Lions off of our back.

You're still gonna get that work this week though. Who wants an avy bet?

I like when the Pats win a big game. Its so less hostile in here.

BZ3TZjpCMAENq0u.jpg:large

Godslay

Banned
If you can't see the difference between following a team for 20 years and Tabris switching teams based on a QB he follows, I really don't know what to say. The fact you're blind because he's cheering for the Broncos isn't lost on me, it's just pretty damn pathetic.

I've been a Bronco fan since I was a tiny kid so about 25+ years. If someone else wants to follow them as well, who am I to judge? I would rather be inclusive, than exclude anyone. It's the way I've always operated, and I've been consistent in welcoming anyone that wants to post along side me in this thread. Like I said, if you don't like it, you are going to have to deal with it, because it's not changing.

If you think it's pathetic, that's fine too. I don't give a fuck, I don't base my actions on what you or anyone else thinks. So with that, I have to go to a meeting now, so have a good day. :)

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ike is staying one more season. Got extended. Not sure about Clark.

edit: Kaboly said something I found interesting:

Why would they do that? Williams didn't play 3rd downs in college, perhaps they still don't trust him on 3rd down? He couldn't possibly be that slow could he?

He's that slow. Definitely a two-down linebacker. Still faster than Foote! It could be that they're trying to get Garvin some run, too. I wonder if they try and get Williams to be faster this offseason with a combination of training and weight loss.

I think that ideally, LeBeau would like the third down backers to be some combination of Woodley, Jones, Worilds, Timmons and Polamalu.

e - Curtis Brown tore an acl on that special teams play. Sucks.

jakncoke

Banned
Can't cut Ben, either!

On a serious note, how much money will cutting Ike and Clark save?

Thankfully Ryan Clark contract is expiring. Looks like he made around 4.2-4.7 million this year, so thats 4-5 million we wont have to pay him in 2014. Ike Taylor has no dead money listed. Listed at 7 million base, with 1.8 bonus and 1.6 mis bonus. So 7? idk

Man, what a game to attend in person. That was the most stress free game I've watched in a long time. Well, since the Eagles last year I guess. I'm enjoying knocking the Niners out of the WC spot for two seconds until they beat WAS :( C'mon RG3, just have a career game for one night! Damn you Dolphins for blowing the game at the end, Panthers keep nearly losing but barely hold on. Thoughts on the game:

- This is by far the best our offense has looked all season and really since Warner left. We played a complete game in all facets.

- Palmer has really turned the corner. I was worried it was flukey or because we played bad teams but then an interview revealed that he just couldn't grasp Arians' offense before now and that makes sense as I read before the season began that his offense is complicated. Arians himself said it's easier for Rookies like Luck last year because they are blank slates than it is for veterans which makes sense. Our players finally have the playbook down so I think they will truly look better and play well the rest of the season :D Oh, and a second game without throwing a pick! woooo

- Floyd is really emerging and would definitely have the breakout season I predicted if Palmer had the playbook down at the beginning. He will finish strong and I can't wait to see what he does next year. Having two big capable bodies as bookends is amazing. With Housler emerging and Roberts ready when it comes his way, it's a pick your poison scenario which is amazing. Our O will be hard to stop when it runs like this.

- Feely continues to be money, two long kicks including a 50 yarder. He's come a long way since the preseason and has been a constant for us.

- Defense did its thing and still looking great. Completely shut down an elite QB granted, without his #1 weapon but still. The lone TD was in garbage time and if Bell didn't slip, he'd have deflected it. Feel good about the work they did. Stud run D on display again and I have to imagine we made ground on the Jets for taking the title of best in the league. Richardson and Brown couldn't do shit and the only reason they had any rushing was the play that set up the lone TD, Luck running down the damn field. I was bracing for it all game and finally we get a third and long situation and blitz and he made us pay.

- D had some fantastic tackles/hits. There were multiple nice plays by Indy where we clobbered the receiver so hard that the ball popped out incomplete. I also want to do a shout out for Powers who has blown in coverage all year. He had a fantastic play where it was going long and he didn't even look at the ball, just watched the receiver and reflexively lifted his hands based on Hilton's body language for a real nice deflection.

- Luck is harder to take down than I realized. He was also Newton-esque in that regard, there would have been a couple more sacks if he wasn't so impressive at staying on his feet. There was one play in particular where I thought it was a sack and he was supposed to be dragged down and somehow got a solid throw off. Impressive.

- When the Lambs made the Colts look bad, I knew our D could too and it's nice to have that validated. Our team is clicking on all cylinders right now and getting hot at the right time. It's going to be tough to get the WC spot but I don't think many teams would want to play us right now.

My one and only complaint are the penalties. Coaches need to get them disciplined properly. If this were a close game, they would have been fatal.

Bring on the Eagles!

BigAT

How long does Coughlin continue to coach, FV? He's in his late 60's, iirc. Surely, he has earned the right to coach as long as he wants. But if he sees a long rebuild in the future, does he stick around to lead it?

He's 67. For all the talk there has been about Coughlin retiring over the years, virtually none of it has actually come from him. I feel like every time it comes up he says he feels like he still has years left in him and hasn't seriously considered retirement. Who knows, maybe this season starts to wear on him and he reconsiders.

How long does Coughlin continue to coach, FV? He's in his late 60's, iirc. Surely, he has earned the right to coach as long as he wants. But if he sees a long rebuild in the future, does he stick around to lead it?
Big already answered it well and I'll agree with what he says. Unless Coughlin just gets sick of the grind, he has no intention of retiring and Mara will give him the time to steer the ship if he wants to be there unless the team continues to post losing seasons.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Let me rephrase the question. Do you think the Giants are in for an extended rebuild and, if so, should Coughlin be the guy to lead it?

squicken

M
- Floyd is really emerging and would definitely have the breakout season I predicted if Palmer had the playbook down at the beginning. He will finish strong and I can't wait to see what he does next year. Having two big capable bodies as bookends is amazing. With Housler emerging and Roberts ready when it comes his way, it's a pick your poison scenario which is amazing. Our O will be hard to stop when it runs like this.
!

I still remember the draft, hoping he would be available for STL. But the Cards took him and the Rams got Brockers. I'm not unhappy with that, but the Rams still lack anyone that can win a 50/50 ball, or even a contested throw.

After the Rams beat the Colts, I couldn't figure out if it was the Rams playing well or the Colts crapping the bed. Watching the Cards game play out almost the exact same way, I'm not sure the Colts can score on anything but the worst defenses at this point. And since their defense is getting gashed, they can't rely on 2 or 3 decent drives a game from Luck.

It's a good thing to dispose of bad teams, and I think the Cards have wildly exceeding expectations. Arians seems to have been the coach the Colts needed to keep, and the growth of the WR corps has been fantastic. It's funny to see Whiz in SD working with Rivers after how putrid things were his last few years there.

Lots of games left between NFCW teams. Can't wait. Hopefully the Rams can play spoiler

Let me rephrase the question. Do you think the Giants are in for an extended rebuild and, if so, should Coughlin be the guy to lead it?
No and yes. We're much in the same boat as the Steelers. Restocking more than an extensive rebuild job. The offensive and defensive lines must be rebuilt before this team can contend again.

I'll take Coughlin at the helm over the names that have been floated as possible replacements. Cowher? He hasn't coached for years. Some unproven college coach for the sake of someone new? MEEEEEH.

Boose

Lots of games left between NFCW teams. Can't wait. Hopefully the Rams can play spoiler

Have faith brother squicken, Clemens is going to take us to the promise land.

On another note I will say the bears Wrs are good obviously, but holy shit it seemed like the secondary couldn't stop shit yesterday.

effzee

and,

ifJ12TYg5cqhk.gif

not a helmet to helmet. Kuechly's forearm clearly hits him in the chest and the receivers head does not snap back to indicate a blow to the head.

Um yes it was. The other angle clearly shows that he led and made contact with the helmet first.

Bring on the Eagles!

How are you guys on the road?

Against the run?

Can't believe of all teams the Cards have had our # since the 08-09 playoffs.

Foles is here to slay the dragon.

squicken

Have faith brother squicken, Clemens is going to take us to the promise land.

On another note I will say the bears Wrs are good obviously, but holy shit it seemed like the secondary couldn't stop shit yesterday.

They actually held CHI below their usual PPG! But yeah, the Rams defense is still not good. They rely on big plays, but aren't a team that forces 3 and outs very often. Road games at SEA, SF and AZ, then home vs New Orleans and Tampa. That's a meat grinder.

They have lived on big plays and turnovers the last two games, which is unsustainable. I hope they do well, but the things are about to get a lot tougher

cdyhybrid

710 ESPN Seattle ‏@710ESPNSeattle 1m
Advantage #Seahawks... RT @ElisaHahnK5: Hmmm...Rich Marriott says decent chance of snow for Hawks game on MNF next week #GoHawks

I want all of the snow.

I still remember the draft, hoping he would be available for STL. But the Cards took him and the Rams got Brockers. I'm not unhappy with that, but the Rams still lack anyone that can win a 50/50 ball, or even a contested throw.

After the Rams beat the Colts, I couldn't figure out if it was the Rams playing well or the Colts crapping the bed. Watching the Cards game play out almost the exact same way, I'm not sure the Colts can score on anything but the worst defenses at this point. And since their defense is getting gashed, they can't rely on 2 or 3 decent drives a game from Luck.

It's a good thing to dispose of bad teams, and I think the Cards have wildly exceeding expectations. Arians seems to have been the coach the Colts needed to keep, and the growth of the WR corps has been fantastic. It's funny to see Whiz in SD working with Rivers after how putrid things were his last few years there.

Yep the Rams got too greedy and thought they could keep moving back and still snag him. At least you didn't blow an early pick on Blackmon! I had a feeling Floyd would pan out better than him.

For sure they are not the same Colts team but that doesn't take away from what the Cards and Rams did, they have great defenses and did their job. It's still impressive to hold an NFL team to such low points, especially when they aren't the lowest bottom feeder in the league. We'll see how the Colts look against the Titans.

Whiz was a poison that kept the team from getting better. It wasn't just a matter of his coaching, he had full authority here the way Reed did in Philly and was botching the GM job even worse than his coaching. He had to go. Arians is panning out well and I'm fully confident with Keim as GM, we are truly turning this ship around and quickly. I think this is a a bit of a fantasy season and I don't know how far we'll go, we could certainly still miss the playoffs, but I think we will be a force next year with the playbook down from day one, chemistry built and not so many new faces, Cooper back will be a huge boon to the OL, and whatever magic Keim works in the draft and FA.

Oh yeah, it's going to get good this final stretch. I'm namely thinking about the final game against SF here in Zona. That game is looking more and more likely to decide who gets the last WC spot. It's going to be insane.

Talon

It all started to crumble for the Texans when they wore their letterman jackets against the Patriots. With the Falcons, who the hell knows, there's no way Julio Jones is a 9-game difference sort of player.
He's the biggest name, but it's more than him. Roddy was gimpy at the start of the season. They've been without Baker for most of the season - even if he's an average ass lineman, he's pretty much Jesus Christ himself compared to Lamar Holmes and Jeremy Trueblood. On top of that, Konz and Reynolds at C and RG have been absolutely dreadful.

The offense sang last year because Julio and Roddy could blow the top off of the defense, but now they can just crowd the middle of the field without any fear.

Conversely on the defensive side, the 1st and 2nd levels of the defense are absolutely nonexistent. Babineaux and Osi are the only two players worth a damn on a down-by-down basis. I know I'm Sean Weatherspoon hater #1, but Nolan was able to use him and Biermann to disguise and be more flexible on the defensive side. Sans either, playing body-to-body is a losing proposition. Not to mention that they're no longer playing with sizable leads with the offense unable to score points in bunches.

Lack of depth on the offensive and defensive lines was a known issue coming into the season, and it blew up in the worst way when the outside weapons disappeared. There's a clear difference when Matt does and doesn't trust his offensive line, and he clearly stopped trusting it in that Jets game.

Clown for Clowney!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
He also is a major liability in the pass game lol

also due 10.8 million next year

Pretty much every db the Steelers have is a major liability in the pass game... At least Troy can make a play.

No and yes. We're much in the same boat as the Steelers. Restocking more than an extensive rebuild job. The offensive and defensive lines must be rebuilt before this team can contend again.

I'll take Coughlin at the helm over the names that have been floated as possible replacements. Cowher? He hasn't coached for years. Some unproven college coach for the sake of someone new? MEEEEEH.

Don't get me wrong, Coughlin has earned the right to coach as long as he wants. Unless I see a team quit on a coach, I won't call for his head.
Kubiak
I just have to believe that age will catch up to the guy sooner or later. I do think that David Shaw would be a good fit for your team, but he'll still be available when the time comes, I believe.

@Squall

The Cards are playing as well as any team in football right now. It's probably between them and the Seahawks as the two teams I'd like to play the least. We played pretty well (but couldn't score because we couldn't catch the ball) for a quarter and then like shit for three quarters last time we played yall.

Advantage #Seahawks... RT @ElisaHahnK5: Hmmm...Rich Marriott says decent chance of snow for Hawks game on MNF next week #GoHawks

I want all of the snow.

The Saints aren't used to playing in snow, their offense would probably turn to mush.

In any event, you have my sword.

rando14

I want all of the snow.

Ugh it might be nice to see on the field but we're the chumps who have to drive to work in it! :-(

How are you guys on the road?

Against the run?

Can't believe of all teams the Cards have had our # since the 08-09 playoffs.

Foles is here to slay the dragon.

We are only 2-3 on the road but two of those losses were the Saints and Niners and we barely lost to STL and SF. SF was an epic fluke of Fitz fumbling which NEVER happens and STL would have been murdered if DWash wasn't suspended. We were up by 11 in the 4th and Cook just trashed us with slow ass Dansby covering him. I promise the rematch will be completely different. Losses are losses though, we definitely have been better at home.

Our run D is second best in the league behind the Jets and I bet we are close to taking the crown from them after week 12. We should be able to contain McCoy which gives us a great chance at victory. We have owned the Eagles the past several years no matter how bad we were just like the Cowboys before them. I'm confident in this game but I do respect that you are one of the other teams that are red hot and it's in your house off a bye so it's no gimmie. We need to bring our A game but if our D continues what they've been doing, I feel pretty good about our chances. Both teams NEED to win so it will be interesting!

Two things,

and,

ifJ12TYg5cqhk.gif

not a helmet to helmet. Kuechly's forearm clearly hits him in the chest and the receivers head does not snap back to indicate a blow to the head.

Doesn't matter if it's helmet to helmet. He's hitting a defenseless receiver according to the rules. Donte whitner did the same exact thing vs the rams and a flag was thrown.

The rules don't apply to the panthers

Bowser

Bill Voth ‏@billvoth 11m
Thomas Davis dislocated a finger that broke through the skin yesterday. Got it stitched up, didn't miss a play.

Ew...

Doesn't matter if it's helmet to helmet. He's hitting a defenseless receiver according to the rules. Donte whitner did the same exact thing vs the rams and a flag was thrown.

The rules don't apply to the the greatest MLB in the game today

FIFY

cdyhybrid

Sounds like the Hawks are taking a serious look at Antoine Winfield while Thurmond is suspended and Browner is injured. I'm OK with this. Tharold Simon is back to practicing this week, too, but I don't think it would be reasonable to expect him to step in and start.

Crisco

Banned

The rules don't apply to the panthers

Nope,

(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; and
(2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body.

It does matter.

lol yeah man come on, Whitner pops him square in the head with his shoulder. The two plays are in no way comparable.

whitner_medium.gif

Top Bottom