• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 12 |OT| - Where the winners win and the Jets lose.

It's just typical. Decade of regular season success, hardly tells the tale of the entire franchise. But yeah, I guess the franchise started with Bill and Brady.

Lol, I'm sooo happy we don't judge franchises one decade at a time. That's why the Raiders are the best. Right guys?

...Guys?

Talon

Wait, Godslay...what the hell does that make the Broncos up until '97?

Also, I'm glad SI is starting up a series on unemployed NFL players. I hear they're doing a Jamarcus Russell piece next. Hopefully Kurt Kittner crops up, too.

When Patriots fans talk about the Super Bowls we are living in the past. When we talk about Bill's tenure as a headcoach we're not talking about the past enough.

Godslay

Banned
I understand what you're saying and understand how you could be critical of some Patriots fans who act as if they have the greatest franchise in NFL history when their success has only come the past 13 years, but to bury your head in the sand and act as if nothing they accomplish is impressive because their teams sucked in the 60s and 70s is as ignorant as the idiotic Patriots fans. I get it, Tony Eason sucked, but what does that have to do with what Belichick and Brady have accomplished?

It relies implicitly that one would determine that BB/Brady came around in 2000. For it to say "Patriots" to me implies the franchise. So really it makes it look like all that other history is irrelevant if you take it at face value of "Patriots" as an org, and using your own words, buries the head in the sand of any history prior.

Guess it's just semantics, so congratulations on the good decade. I still think franchises are ultimately judged on sustained success over a cherry picked decade. Just my opinion.

Also, I'm glad SI is starting up a series on unemployed NFL players. I hear they're doing a Jamarcus Russell piece next. Hopefully Kurt Kittner crops up, too.

*sigh* Russell is a totally different situation than just unemployed guys. Also just let him fade away...I don't that constant reminder

Dragon

Banned
Paint me however you want. I only come to this board to root for one team. No question about it. If you wanna sling insults, go for it. No sweat off my back. Don't expect to be treated kindly though, fair warning.

Quit being melodramatic. You defend Tabris, no one but a homer would do that. Tabris is like a worse version of Lunchbox, at least Lunchbox gets banned! I leveled with you, and apologized to you when you were upset, and you ignored it. You don't deserve anything but derision and a mop for all your salty tears.

Edit: The Broncos and Patriots have around the same number of wins and losses, being smug about the Broncos over the Patriots is just bizarre.

Narag

Wait, Godslay...what the hell does that make the Broncos up until '97?

Oh neat, just the sort of thing I was curious about the other day.

cdyhybrid

I'm eagerly awaiting Sanjuro. He needs to get up in here to preach about the true G.O.A.T Drew Bledsoe.

It's true. Look at all the terrible stuff that has happened to the Pats since they Alex Smith'd Bledsoe. Spygate, The Helmet Catch, losing to Elite Flacco at home. Bledsoe/Brady was the precursor to Tinyhands/Kaep!

TheFatOne

Jamie Collins for the Pats had a damn good game with the limited amount of snaps he got. I hope he can become a cover linebacker in the future. Pats are taking their time with Collins, and I hope he delivers. Would give the Pats speed they desperately need at linebacker. Something I heard on the radio/postgame is how terrible Hightower has been. The fact that Hightower was benched should be cause for alarm. Pats crushed it with Jones, but Hightower is a player from the wrong era of football. 10-20 years ago he could be a good player, but he is way to slow to play linebacker in the NFL right now. Can't get them all, but at least they made a move up in the draft. I hope this doesn't discourage the Pats from doing it again in the future.

Jamie Collins for the Pats had a damn good game with the limited amount of snaps he got. I hope he can become a cover linebacker in the future. Pats are taking their time with Collins, and I hope he delivers. Would give the Pats speed they desperately need at linebacker. Something I heard on the radio/postgame is how terrible Hightower has been. The fact that Hightower was benched should be cause for alarm. Pats crushed it with Jones, but Hightower is a player from the wrong era of football. 10-20 years ago he could be a good player, but he is way to slow to play linebacker in the NFL right now. Can't get them all, but at least they made a move up in the draft. I hope this doesn't discourage the Pats from doing it again in the future.

Maybe Hightower eeds to lose some weight. He has no business weighing 270. I think he has the talent to be a successful 3 down LB.

Dutchbag?

Hey! Win or lose I've always been here since 2010 (?)

Colasante

I think Hightower's going to be fine. He was doing really well under Mayo's wing early this season, but he wasn't ready for the added responsibility of being the green dot player since Gregory went down. When Gregory comes back and takes over the defense again, Hightower will have less going on in his mind and his play should get better.

TheFatOne

Maybe Hightower eeds to lose some weight. He has no business weighing 270. I think he has the talent to be a successful 3 down LB.

Hey! Win or lose I've always been here since 2010 (?)

I think Hightower's going to be fine. He was doing really well under Mayo's wing early this season, but he wasn't ready for the added responsibility of being the green dot player since Gregory went down. When Gregory comes back and takes over the defense again, Hightower will have less going on in his mind and his play should get better.

I'm hoping he improves but that speed is always going to be an issue. Even if he loses weight, and has less responsibilities I'm not sure he has the speed to play. At least they got Jones in that draft. To me it was a great draft just because of him. The man is a freak.

I'm hoping he improves but that speed is always going to be an issue. Even if he loses weight, and has less responsibilities I'm not sure he has the speed to play. At least they got Jones in that draft. To me it was a great draft just because of him. The man is a freak.

It could be them trying to groom a Brandon Spikes replacement/backup but even then you'd want to keep Spikes around because of how good he is against the run

Dirtbag didn't disappear until they won the Super Bowl and he decided to fight everyone in the thread. Really weird guy. Total opposite of the current members of Saints-gaf.

I will only fight Tabris. Shirtless.

And Deacon, but with love.

And maybe Yankee when he goes on one of his rants.

Besides Canjun, who's left of Saints GAF? Big Baybee?

It could be them trying to groom a Brandon Spikes replacement/backup but even then you'd want to keep Spikes around because of how good he is against the run

What are the odds of them being able to re-sign Spikes after this season? With Collins, Fletcher and Dont'a they have a lot of good LBs who can play all downs and Nink just got his big deal.

Add to that that they need to re-sign Ridley, Vereen, Edelman, Solder(?) and McCourty and there might not be a whole lot of money left.

TheFatOne

Good point. To be honest I would prefer Spikes to Hightower. At least he brings the boom every play, and will force fumbles. Still early for Hightower though. Still plenty of time to improve.
One player I love is Logan Ryan. I think he'll be good.

Yea love the way he plays. Is physical and actually turns around for the ball. The Pats corners this year all seem to be close on every play. If they don't make the stop most of the time they are right there for the tackle. Coverage by them as a whole has been good. McCourty has been a stud at safety. Pats defense is starting to take shape with the young guys. If they could somehow get another guy like Jones they would be great. You could move Ninkovich around and start playing all kinds of games on the line. Especially if Wilfork returned as the player he once was.
What are the odds of them being able to re-sign Spikes after this season? With Collins, Fletcher and Dont'a they have a lot of good LBs who can play all downs and Nink just got his big deal.

Add to that that they need to re-sign Ridley, Vereen, Edelman, Solder(?) and McCourty and there might not be a whole lot of money left.

Slim unless he takes a team friendly deal. I love Spikes. Would be like letting Woodhead go. Good player to have in the right situation, but you have depth there. The difference is that they had Vereen who I think is going to be much better than Woodhead.

Edit: Holy shit Dutch we both forgot someone Talib. Yea no way the Pats sign Spikes in the off season.

You should murder the Rams with a backup QB. The hope, as it always is vs AZ, is for Quinn and Long to take over the game and make Palmer get antsy

Oh yeah, I'm licking my chops already and I know the players are too. One of them made a comment recently how much that loss hurts right now with the standings and I know they are hungry to get revenge. Need to focus on Philly first which is the tougher matchup and if we pull it off, I am extremely confident taking out STL and TN. Problem is I'm not so sure 10 wins gets it done anymore. If CAR and SF keep winning along with us, we'll have to take down SEA or SF with SF being the far easier scenario.

xnipx

How funny would it be if big the ravens and 49ers miss the playoffs and finish 3rd in their division?

When's the last time both teams from the Super Bowl missed the playoffs completely the next year?

we're getting in for sure, idk bout worst harbaugh tho. Those cardinals look scary

Tom Penny

Hightower is pretty good at everything minus pass coverage but great at none. He's just flat out too slow to cover anyone which will likely get exposed by TE's eventually. I also never see big plays which has been my biggest knock on Mayo.

Colasante

I see Solder, Vereen, and McCourty being resigned. McCourty is the most likely to sign a team-friendly deal. I think they'll let Ridley walk, let Edelman test the market again, and let Spikes walk. Talib will probably test the market too, but I think they'll end up paying him well.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Caleb Hanie being brought in as the potential backup.

Taking bets now on when he will see game action if they sign him.

I am picking the Jets game.

Oh yeah, I'm licking my chops already and I know the players are too. One of them made a comment recently how much that loss hurts right now with the standings and I know they are hungry to get revenge. Need to focus on Philly first which is the tougher matchup and if we pull it off, I am extremely confident taking out STL and TN. Problem is I'm not so sure 10 wins gets it done anymore. If CAR and SF keep winning along with us, we'll have to take down SEA or SF with SF being the far easier scenario.

not looking forward to playing in arizona if the playoffs are on the line for both teams. cards always give us tough games there :/

Oakland has a ton of money coming in next year but I hope they don't do something stupid with it. I'd rather lock in top performers this season, and maybe one or two mid-price range FA, and just keep rebuilding through the draft.

Slim unless he takes a team friendly deal. I love Spikes. Would be like letting Woodhead go. Good player to have in the right situation, but you have depth there. The difference is that they had Vereen who I think is going to be much better than Woodhead.

Edit: Holy shit Dutch we both forgot someone Talib. Yea no way the Pats sign Spikes in the off season.

Seeing Woody play yesterday still made me miss the guy. He was so cool and is a great player. But would be a waste to have Vereen (or Woody) sit on the bench so unfortunately it was probably right to let him go.

I'm afraid Talib might be out. With Logan Ryan, Dennard and Arrington they might not want to pay him as much as he wants to be paid. I hope they did a way, maybe the injuries lower his value a but.

Hightower is pretty good at everything minus pass coverage but great at none. He's just flat out too slow to cover anyone which will likely get exposed by TE's eventually. I also never see big plays which has been my biggest knock on Mayo.

He was actually pretty good in coverage at the start of the season. But maybe that was before teams started to take advantage of him.

TheFatOne

Seeing Woody play yesterday still made me miss the guy. He was so cool and is a great player. But would be a waste to have Vereen (or Woody) sit on the bench so unfortunately it was probably right to let him go.

I'm afraid Talib might be out. With Logan Ryan, Dennard and Arrington they might not want to pay him as much as he wants to be paid. I hope they did a way, maybe the injuries lower his value a but.

He was actually pretty good in coverage at the start of the season. But maybe that was before teams started to take advantage of him.

Letting Talib go would be the worst thing the defense could do. They are a different team with him playing. He's a risky guy to sign, but I hope they pay him. Although, I am preparing myself for when they eventually let him go :(

Top Bottom