• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 12 |OT| - Where the winners win and the Jets lose.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
6657156731_5eb61281bd_z.jpg

cdyhybrid

Brian Nemhauser ‏@hawkblogger 1m
The way Pete talked about Winfield this morning, I'd put the chances of him being signed at 80%.

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 3m
Still uncertain if Thurmond/Hawks could get away with "finagling" with appeal system to allow him to play v NO.

Hmmm...

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/2013/11/24/jon_bon_jovi_mlse_give_toronto_inside_track_on_buffalo_bills_kelly.html

Bon Jovi emerged Sunday as the leading contender to buy the NFL’s Buffalo Bills.

But rich as he is, Bon Jovi’s not going to be able to do so alone. He needs friends. He suddenly has a lot of them in Canada.

All of those friends want to help Jon Bon Jovi bring the NFL to Toronto.

The Bills will not be sold until their current owner, 95-year-old Ralph Wilson, dies. The purchase price could reach as high as $1 billion (U.S.). Whoever buys the team will need to build a new NFL-specific stadium, likely doubling the sunk cost.

This is where Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment and CEO Tim Leiweke come in.

“Jon and I are very good friends,” Leiweke said Sunday. “We talk weekly about his NFL ambitions. And so we’re actively engaged, but I think it’s still a work in progress.”

What’s MLSE’s role in all this?

“We can’t own a team (per NFL rules), but we do have more expertise on how to build (stadiums) than anyone,” Leiweke said. “MLSE can play a role. We’re not the lead here. Our job is to augment whatever group may come together.”

As is his wont, especially when navigating such fraught territory, Leiweke was speaking very carefully. He must serve many masters here (and is, in a very real sense, a master himself).

But the upshot of his comments — We’re not picking sides, because we don’t have to. We’re pals with all of them.

As first reported by CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora, Bon Jovi has created a small team designed to win him the Bills. A key member of that team is Leiweke’s daughter, Francesca. Bon Jovi was a guest at her August wedding to Maple Leaf Troy Bodie.

Thankfully the report was shot down that Bon Jovi was looking to buy them earlier today but god kill me now because this all seems very plausible.

Nobody wants the stank ass Bills in Toronto, we got our own shitty teams to hate.

cdyhybrid

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 1m
2013 NFL season totals for third-round QBs who have played for North Carolina State since 2010: 344 of 544 for 4,144 yards, 32 TD, 10 INT.

squicken

and STL would have been murdered if DWash wasn't suspended. We were up by 11 in the 4th and Cook just trashed us with slow ass Dansby covering him. I promise the rematch will be completely different..!

You should murder the Rams with a backup QB. The hope, as it always is vs AZ, is for Quinn and Long to take over the game and make Palmer get antsy

cdyhybrid

Matt Ryan, Russel Wilson, Mike Glennon. Tom O'Brien is basically the most underachieving coach in NCAA DIV I history.

TOB didn't coach him, but don't forget Phil Rivers too! (He's not included in that stat though)

Still not as good as Washington or BYU when it comes to QB U!

jakncoke

Banned
Weeden is going to be the starter on Sunday...

No fucks given here.

Weeden throws are pretty hilarious. You really never know where they are going. I think he could break the interception record, but his throws are too inaccurate to be picked off really

tmdorsey

He's the biggest name, but it's more than him. Roddy was gimpy at the start of the season. They've been without Baker for most of the season - even if he's an average ass lineman, he's pretty much Jesus Christ himself compared to Lamar Holmes and Jeremy Trueblood. On top of that, Konz and Reynolds at C and RG have been absolutely dreadful.

The offense sang last year because Julio and Roddy could blow the top off of the defense, but now they can just crowd the middle of the field without any fear.

Conversely on the defensive side, the 1st and 2nd levels of the defense are absolutely nonexistent. Babineaux and Osi are the only two players worth a damn on a down-by-down basis. I know I'm Sean Weatherspoon hater #1, but Nolan was able to use him and Biermann to disguise and be more flexible on the defensive side. Sans either, playing body-to-body is a losing proposition. Not to mention that they're no longer playing with sizable leads with the offense unable to score points in bunches.

Lack of depth on the offensive and defensive lines was a known issue coming into the season, and it blew up in the worst way when the outside weapons disappeared. There's a clear difference when Matt does and doesn't trust his offensive line, and he clearly stopped trusting it in that Jets game.

Clown for Clowney!

Can you believe people are questioning if we should take that tackle out of Texas Matthews with our first pick this year?

If Clowney is there and we pass him up Dimitroff should be fired and Smith with him for not speaking up and letting it happen.

Can you believe people are questioning if we should take that tackle out of Texas Matthews with our first pick this year?

If Clowney is there and we pass him up Dimitroff should be fired and Smith with him for not speaking up and letting it happen.

In all honesty, as a Saints fan, I hope you guys pick Clowney. I'm of strong belief that he'll bust in the NFL. I've tried to watch as much of him as I could this year, and I just do not buy him as a dominant player on the pro level. I think he was built up so heavily that people have a false perception of how good he actually is. Is he a great player? No doubt. But I don't think he'll be the game changer that most seem to think he will be.

Ugh it might be nice to see on the field but we're the chumps who have to drive to work in it! :-(

Ha, I've seen Seattle grind to a halt due to minimal amounts of snow. I can't wait to hear reports of how long it takes people to get home from a the game if there is snow on the field. The players would be better off sleeping in a hotel close to the stadium than to go home after that game.

Syrinx

How many picks do the Falcons have in next year's draft. Because with the massive issues at depth the Falcons have had this year, I'm wondering if it may be wise for them to trade down and stock up on a whole bunch of picks. Though maybe I'm only thinking that because I'm a Bucs fan and don't want Clowney going to the Falcons.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
How many picks do the Falcons have in next year's draft. Because with the massive issues at depth the Falcons have had this year, I'm wondering if it may be wise for them to trade down and stock up on a whole bunch of picks. Though maybe I'm only thinking that because I'm a Bucs fan and don't want Clowney going to the Falcons.

Didn't they trade a bunch of them to the Browns?

squicken

It'd be nice to get these types of pieces on people who are, ya know, actively employed and playing in the NFL.

He's not in the NFL b/c of the circus he attracts. w/o the circus, Denver could bring him back and he could play their cold weather games and/or when they wanted to win playoff games

Talon

Yeah, no. Offensive line is certainly a huge need, but premier pass rushers like that aren't a dime a dozen. Look at how much of an impact Aldon Smith, Von Miller, and JJ Watt have for their respective defenses. Plus, he's got the size to play UT and just blow past guards on a regular basis.

Also, I've liked what I've seen out of Massaquoi, but I'm really skeptical of him being anything more than a rotation guy.
In all honesty, as a Saints fan, I hope you guys pick Clowney. I'm of strong belief that he'll bust in the NFL. I've tried to watch as much of him as I could this year, and I just do not buy him as a dominant player on the pro level. I think he was built up so heavily that people have a false perception of how good he actually is. Is he a great player? No doubt. But I don't think he'll be the game changer that most seem to think he will be.
He's been gimpy until about two weeks ago. Go watch the tape of the Georgia-SC game last year. That was a complete and total dominant performance by a defensive end, and he was just a true sophomore. He's a physical freak, but he's shown the ability to fight inside and use his hands to overwhelm unathletic tackles.

It's not just his explosiveness and size, but he's smart enough to knock guys off balance by just hand fighting and then running straight past them. That shit you can't teach.
Didn't they trade a bunch of them to the Browns?
The last of those picks affected the 2012 draft - a 1st and 4th rounder. We had all our picks this year.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
They did, and one would think that's a big contributer to their issues now, but I think all the picks they traded have been used by now. I may be wrong.

Just looked it up, all of those picks were used, poorly, by the Browns already.

Godslay

Banned
It's an impressive stat. The stat obviously starts when Belichick was hired and Tom Brady was drafted. Why the bitterness?

It's just typical. Decade of regular season success, hardly tells the tale of the entire franchise. But yeah, I guess the franchise started with Bill and Brady.

Where's that Tim Allen salt gif when you need it?
The guy is the worst homer since Homer Bush, I wouldn't let it bother you.

Paint me however you want. I only come to this board to root for one team. No question about it. If you wanna sling insults, go for it. No sweat off my back. Don't expect to be treated kindly though, fair warning.

Milchjon

It's just typical. Decade of regular season success, hardly tells the tale of the entire franchise. But yeah, I guess the franchise started with Bill and Brady.

Paint me however you want. I only come to this board to root for one team. No question about it. If you wanna sling insults, go for it. No sweat off my back. Don't expect to be treated kindly though, fair warning.

Don't turn heel, my friend :-(

cdyhybrid

This thread needs some Russell.

aXtifsI.jpg

VtL9nf4.jpg

Look at those guns!

RUUrZQo.jpg

He defends the freedom of the NFL from the tyranny of video cameras, Worst Harbaugh tantrums, and stolen laptops!

Talon

I mean, really, the depth issues go to late in training camp when Mike Johnson was placed on the IR. Homey had definitely won the RT job at that point, and he was a versatile piece that's played T and G over the past two seasons.

Dmitroff's spent some day 1/2 picks on offensive linemen:
Reynolds - 5th rounder in '09
Johnson - 3rd rounder in '10
Konz - 2nd rounder in '12

If you considering the makeup of the roster, those picks made sense. Baker, Blalock, and McClure had a stranglehold - for better or worse - on their positions. Nevermind that two of those three guys have been mediocre their entire careers and that Baker has played two whole season in his entire career. But, again, they were adequate guys that didn't immediately need to be replaced.

Johnson made sense as a versatile guy that you could develop to play RT. He was right on schedule, but, as I said above, he got hurt. Konz made a ton of sense as an experienced guy in college to sit on the bench and take over for McClure when he retired.

The best laid plans...

Colasante

I understand what you're saying and understand how you could be critical of some Patriots fans who act as if they have the greatest franchise in NFL history when their success has only come the past 13 years, but to bury your head in the sand and act as if nothing they accomplish is impressive because their teams sucked in the 60s and 70s is as ignorant as the idiotic Patriots fans. I get it, Tony Eason sucked, but what does that have to do with what Belichick and Brady have accomplished?

Top Bottom