• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 12 |OT| - Where the winners win and the Jets lose.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Since it's the top of the page, everyone will forget the last one and just think you rude.

kghV76G.gif

I wonder if Russel would be willing to play tackle or guard...

He could make history - first player to transition from QB to OL!

squicken

I might be the only here who still watches football, but damnit I'm posting this
In 2011, the Jets really wanted Mo Wilkerson. They were really happy they landed him. Every year Tannenbaum gave Rex their last pick as sort of a pet guy he could draft. There were a bunch of effort LBs that Westoff and the scouts really liked as special teams guys and who might become starters down the line

Even in 2011 their were concerns about Sanchez's toughness and maturity. All the coaches thought Rex was too soft on him and catered to him too much. There was some organizational resentment towards the QB. Sanchez's best friend growing up was a WR named Scotty McKnight, who as a senior set some receiving records at Colorado. Sanchez had talked up the guy to Rex as someone who everyone would doubt but could be a Welker type. The scouts considered him undraftable b/c he was physically inadequate for the NFL

So it gets to the end of the draft and all the sudden there is a bit of a panic in the Jets war room. Rex had been talking about taking McKnight with the last pick, as someone who Sanchez could rely on and trust. Someone to be his security blanket. All the scouts and Tannenbaum told him there's no way he can play in the NFL, it would be a wasted pick made to cater to an already babied Sanchez

But Rex used the pick on McKnight. This crushed the spirits of the whole building. They had all been so happy to get Wilkerson, and in that one move, Rex had turned the 3 days into a morale crusher. Right after the draft, Rex left to go promote his memoir. The offensive coaches went looking for film on McKnight. They had never even watched him play or had any discussions about him in the pre-daft meetings

Pettine said it was a betrayal of all the work the scouts and coaches did to prepare for the draft. It also violated Pettine's sense of ethics. Rex had taken the privilege of getting drafted from someone who deserved it over McKnight.

Pettine had considered Rex almost as a brother, but the events that day had made him question whether Rex was as engaged and aware of things as he used to be. How could he not see the effect that was going to have on all the people who had worked so hard? So this is where Pettine started thinking he needed to leave the Jets and become his own man, to prove he could do it w/o Rex.

Narag

As someone ignorant of draft culture, why couldn't they offer those LBs they were wanting (barring another team didn't draft them) a chance anyhow? Same for McKnight if he wasn't drafted.

squicken

When Rex was still DC in BAL, Ray Lewis messed up a blitz call, and so all the linemen and LBs dropped into coverage. Not a single guy rushed the passer. Somehow they almost got an INT out of it. On TV, Jaws said "Eleven man drop. Rex Ryan is a genius!"

As someone ignorant of draft culture, why couldn't they offer those LBs they were wanting (barring another team didn't draft them) a chance anyhow? Same for McKnight if he wasn't drafted.

They did. It was more the principle of the thing. McKnight would have been a UDFA had they not taken him. It was just Rex doing his own thing and not listening to everyone else in the room. Scouts spend months trying to find that diamond in the rough who can make an impact on the team. They get a bonus if the team selects a guy the mark as their "late round guy". Rex basically told them all he didn't care what they thought. Sanchez needed his buddy

Narag

When Rex was still DC in BAL, Ray Lewis messed up a blitz call, and so all the linemen and LBs dropped into coverage. Not a single guy rushed the passer. Somehow they almost got an INT out of it. On TV, Jaws said "Eleven man drop. Rex Ryan is a genius!"

They did. It was more the principle of the thing. McKnight would have been a UDFA had they not taken him. It was just Rex doing his own thing and not listening to everyone else in the room. Scouts spend months trying to find that diamond in the rough who can make an impact on the team. They get a bonus if the team selects a guy the mark as their "late round guy". Rex basically told them all he didn't care what they thought. Sanchez needed his buddy

I hope you find a clip of that Ravens call.

I get what you mean now too. Organizational thing more than a player issue like I was seeing it.

ShaneB

Going crazy deciding if I want to order a L or XL size hoodie from footballfanatics... Size charts and being tall never tend to agree with each other. I think I'll just play it safe and go XL, but dammit.

squicken

Duke vs UNC nect week in a meaningful football game. Would our Panthers superfans trade a Panthers win for a win for their alma mater?

Tabris

Sub 15 degrees for the Pats game tomorrow. Fun times.

When I went to a Pats game last year, it was absolutely freezing. And raining. Freezing rain. Miserable but also fun oddly enough. It was like "Yep, this is American football in Winter". Also Pats lost, so that made it awesome! I had to cheer on the 49ers though so I felt a bit dirty after the game.

Bowser

Duke vs UNC nect week in a meaningful football game. Would our Panthers superfans trade a Panthers win for a win for their alma mater?

lol fuck no, why so we can go to the Music City Bowl or the Belk Bowl instead of the AdvoCare v100 Bowl? Yeah no thx.

Bowser

I thought the winner went to the conference championship game?

I don't believe so, I think if UNC had held on vs Miami this game would have been for the Coastal, but not anymore.

Either way, even if it was, neither team is staying within 3 TDs of FSU in the ACC title game.

jakncoke

Banned
Chan why do you own 50 caliber bullets, did you get them from the home country Civil War?

Edit; Im no gun guy clearly chan says they are .223 rounds whatever whatever

Going crazy deciding if I want to order a L or XL size hoodie from footballfanatics... Size charts and being tall never tend to agree with each other. I think I'll just play it safe and go XL, but dammit.

Yeah go XL, they always tend to be a bit small and short. Plus they shrink a bit.

Top Bottom