• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 13 |OT| Guns of the Patriots

Neither DeAngelo Williams (quad) or Charles Johnson (knee due to leg whip by dirty cheating scum) are dressed for practice today.

Safe to assume that neither will be available for Sunday's game

Commentary on the Bell touchdown that wasn't last night

All scores are automatically reviewed on instant replay, of course, and eventually someone remembered a rule that was added in 2010. Rule 7, Section 2, Article 1 lists the reasons why a dead ball should be declared. Forward progress, kicking a live ball, and fair catches are all among the 18 examples listed. The final one, marked (r) for those who love legislative organization, reads: "when a runner's helmet comes completely off."

This rule was enacted in 2010, in response to plays like one that occurred in 2007 with Dallas Cowboys tight end Jason Witten. In that instance, Witten caught a pass 23 yards downfield. Two Philadelphia Eagles defenders converged on him, and the ensuing contact knocked off his helmet. Witten stayed upright, however, and ran bare-headed another 31 yards downfield before he was tackled.

Technically, referee Clete Blakeman was correct to overrule the touchdown. The contact occurred before Bell crossed into the end zone. The play was over at the moment his helmet flew off, meaning the ball was to be marked wherever it was at that moment. In the end, it did not hurt the Steelers' chances for winning. They scored two plays later.

The rule did nothing to protect Bell, just as it did little to help New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning during a 2010 preseason game that led to a bloody gash on his head.

So what is the solution? The natural response would be to add an exception for players who are knocked to the ground by the contact. After all, the intent is to prevent players from extending the play once they've lost their helmet. Bell wasn't going to extend the play.

On the other hand, a seemingly simple solution adds to the already complex web of rules, exceptions and nuance that officials are tasked with tracking. What other possibilities could arise? What if a player is stepping out of bounds but trying to extend the ball past the first-down marker? And, while we're at it, what does it say about the state of head protection in the NFL that rules are enacted to address when they come off? Why can't we find helmets and chin straps that stay fastened?

Mindlog

you would say the packers defense was worse than its offense? offense had like 50 yards near the end of the game against a defense that gave up like 450 yards to the bucs last week
Honestly, I tuned out on the game pretty early. Just looked back and the stats. Wow.

To be fair Flynn isn't a future first ballot stud Mike Glennon.

jakncoke

Banned
Does anyone got a vid/gif of what tomlin did? Thanks to black friday being on thursday i was unable to watch the game and only follow via twitter on breaks and lunch

From the Tampa side

Jason Jennings ‏@WFLAJason 37m
Revis was limited in practice today and will be listed as questionable for Sunday's game.

Not like it matters, GlennonHOF will outscore the Panthers all by himself. He doesn't need a D

harSon

Banned
Steelers did use it way more in the second half true. But that also begs the question - why can't Ben execute when he isn't calling the plays? It's all from the same playbook.

You have got to have a huge axe to grind if the conclusion you come to after consistently seeing the Steeler's offense playing better when the offensive coordinator's influence is lessened, is the fact that the QB is at fault.

sorry guys.. enjoy my avatar for 10 days
fuck...

555322240.gif

Farooq

Banned
Fucking eh...Lance Dunbar is out for the season.

Nick Eatman ‏@nickeatman 19m
Lance Dunbar is expected to miss rest of the year with a left knee injury that needs surgery. http://bit.ly/1cDUtns

He had stellar game against Oakland. Was a great reliever for Murray, and definitely had a knack for the cutback, unlike Murray who would sometimes run to darkness and leave yardage on the field. Damn.

Mindlog

From the Tampa side

Jason Jennings ‏@WFLAJason 37m
Revis was limited in practice today and will be listed as questionable for Sunday's game.

Not like it matters, GlennonHOF will outscore the Panthers all by himself. He doesn't need a D
And Yasinskas' take.
Pat Yasinskas ‏@PatYazESPN 2h
CB Darrelle Revis took part in the part of practice open to the media.

Also
Yasinskas: David, there have been a lot of different factors in the Bucs' surge. But I'd say the best thing to point to is the Bucs have been finishing games. That's something they weren't doing well at all early in the season. Beyond that, this team finally, firmly bought into coach Greg Schiano's system. You can see Schiano's philosophy -- play aggressive defense, run the ball well on offense and take some shots down the field in the passing game -- shining through. It took a lot longer than anyone would have liked, but the Bucs are clicking now and it might save Schiano's job.
It might be time for a good old fashioned dickfire.

4ReFq1ki.gif

Ben said after the game that he threw to Sanders because he figured Brown would be doubled (because he can actually catch) and Cotchery as well since he just caught the TD and has 8 on the season.

I understand the reasoning but it still pisses me off. Sanders can't catch a cold.

Also, the play that they scored the TD on was the same play they ran last week against the Browns.

Wow didn't even realize Josh Gordon was so close to 1000 receiving yards.

he's close to saving my FF season in one of my leagues. i <3 JG! (jeff garcia)

in other more exciting news:

Attention shoppers: 49ers’ Jerry Rice makes family-friendly video game his pet project
POSTED BY DANIEL BROWN ON NOVEMBER 29TH, 2013 AT 10:33 AM | CATEGORIZED AS UNCATEGORIZED

A guest post from Dan Brown:

# # #

Known for his dedication to training as a player, Jerry Rice continues to stay fit in retirement. He often starts his days by running 5 hard miles.

He usually brings along a teammate, too, a dog named Leonitus.

The Rottweiler has no trouble keeping up with football’s golden receiver.

“He’s in very good shape. He’s just one big muscle,’’ Rice, 51, said with a laugh. “And when I jump up in the morning, he knows it’s time to go. He’s all excited. He’s full of energy.”

The 49ers Hall of Famer and his best friend are commemorated in a video game worth a look from holiday shoppers. “Jerry Rice & Nitus’ Dog Football” is designed as a household bonding experience.

“Kids can play it. It’s a family atmosphere and the entire family can participate,’’ Rice said. “I’m just hopeful that it continues to grow.”

Because of his football career and “Dancing with the Stars” fame, Rice can command big bucks as a celebrity endorser. That isn’t the case here. Rice gets stock shares in the fledgling gaming company because he likes the idea of a product built around strengthening family ties.

The all-time leading receiver recently stopped by a low-key event at the San Carlos Youth Center to pose for photos with kids being introduced to the game available on Wii, PC and mobile devices.

Dan Mueller, the CEO of JUDOBABY, INC., says that having Rice on board “from the heart, instead of just for money” has inspired other big names to get involved.

“We try to work only with those celebrities that strive to be a positive influence and who are active in giving back,’’ Mueller said.

Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch is among the new recruits. The Oakland native and his pit bull, “Ice,’’ will be included in the mobile launch of “Jerry Rice & Nitus’ Dog Football.” There are also plans for a Pet Sports League console game that will include feature a theme inspired by Lynch’s “Beast Mode” nickname, putting a twist on the current product.

In the Rice & Nitus game, up to four players compete by trying to complete passes to football-catching dogs. The quarterbacks are human, including a likeness of Rice and Leonitis (aka, “Nitus.”)

In all, there are 14 human QBs, 20 dog breeds and 185 options in the playbook. The dogs compete alongside their owners for the top prize: the Golden Hydrant.

“The animation is perfect,’’ Rice said. “They did a good thing with the graphics and all that. When you really look at it, it’s very similar to when you see Madden Football. You feel like you are a part of it.”

Mueller previously spent 18 years in the game industry for Sony Computer Entertainment, Foundation 9 and BottleRocket Entertainment. He raised $4.2 million in private investment capital to launch Judo Baby and create what the company’s website calls “socially responsible product.”

Rice jumped aboard thanks to a mutual friend.

Rice was asked during his San Carlos visit about supporting a cause he so strongly believes in.

“Yes,’’ he cracked. “I’m a strong supporter of dogs playing football.”

comment_GcGJmowwUYdtKBBOryKEfaxP8CTNHl8t.gif

Interesting piece on the Rams and their newfound power run game:

I’ve written in the past about how teams can get their rushing games going through scheme or through running back/offensive line talent. In some cases, we’ll see a running game start to blossom despite average talent up front and a no-name back. Regardless of how a team prefers to run the ball, a commitment to the cause is a necessary ingredient.

Say what you will about Jeff Fisher, but that joker wants to run the football. Fisher wanted to run the football in Tennessee and he did. Fisher wants to run the football in St.Louis and that is beginning to happen thanks to a better understanding of what the Rams are best suited for by offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

Over their first four games, the Rams averaged 47 rushing yards per game, but that number soared to 151 yards per game over their next seven games. It all started with the Rams turning to Zac Stacy, a no-nonsense runner who is decisive, shows good vision and finishes off his runs with authority.

Getting the right running back in the game was only half of the equation. The Rams also figured out that they were best suited to lock in with their inside zone attack, which gets the offensive line flowing in one direction and has the running back getting the handoff headed toward the guard on the same side where the offensive line is flowing. After getting the handoff, Stacy will usually look to make a quick cutback to the left over left tackle Jake Long, who is washing his man down the line of scrimmage in the opposite direction of where Stacy is cutting back.

The Rams will run their inside zone as a “split zone” with a tight end coming across the formation as a lead blocker on the backside cut. And they will run it with a fullback Cory Harkey as a lead blocker. Long, left guard Chris Williams, Harkey, and the wide receivers have been key components in the running game turnaround for the Rams. The Rams aren’t going to be the most talented running game, but they are executing at a very high level right now.

bionic77

You have got to have a huge axe to grind if the conclusion you come to after consistently seeing the Steeler's offense playing better when the offensive coordinator's influence is lessened, is the fact that the QB is at fault.
It's always Bens fault in Deacons mind.

I am beginning to suspect he is one of those women's rights type of people who have crazy ideas about women voting and owning property.

Our rapey qb isn't too popular with the feminists and church people.

It's either that or he is related to Haley.

bionic77

How the heck was Tomlin not penalized for that play? That official should be fired.
Refs didn't give a fuck last night.

On the goal line plays the Ravens killed at least 3 Steelers and who knows how many more they maimed but the refs just didn't give a fuck.

Jason La Canfora &#10004; @JasonLaCanfora

William Gay, Cam Wake, LaRon Landry, Sio Moore and Antonio Smith. all fined $15,750 for either roughing the passer or unnecessary roughness

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The William Gay one wasn't called on the field .

Not that I feel the Browns would have won but it definitely ended the game.

squicken

Gotta say, Derek Carr has a pretty awesome arm. Accurate as well. He'll need development since he's a spread guy, but Brugler compared him to Stafford as far as the arm, and I totally see it

Interesting piece on the Rams and their newfound power run game:

So many things have changed for the Rams since the beginning of the year, but the run game working is the biggest. Getting Richardson out of the game was huge. He is awful. They'll cut him in the offseason/camp. Saffold is also playing guard now is pretty impressive to my novice eyes.

Gotta say, Derek Carr has a pretty awesome arm. Accurate as well. He'll need development since he's a spread guy, but Brugler compared him to Stafford as far as the arm, and I totally see it

So many things have changed for the Rams since the beginning of the year, but the run game working is the biggest. Getting Richardson out of the game was huge. He is awful. They'll cut him in the offseason/camp. Saffold is also playing guard now is pretty impressive to my novice eyes.
Most impressive QB prospect in the draft to me.

Top Bottom