• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 16 |OT| The Jungle

squicken

Anyone gonna watch USC-Fresno to get a look at Carr? Probably the biggest game of his life. Seems like there is a wide split on where he is projected. USC is supposed to have a good defense but w/coaching changes you never know

Wes

venison crêpe
Anyone gonna watch USC-Fresno to get a look at Carr? Probably the biggest game of his life. Seems like there is a wide split on where he is projected. USC is supposed to have a good defense but w/coaching changes you never know

I want to. Unfortunately the only channel I have access to is showing Washington State v Colorado State. I'll have to find alternative means.

I haven't seen him live and like to see what he's like for myself.

Draconian

I might just to see if I didn't throw $5 out the window when joining my friend's bowl pick'em last night.

squicken

I want to. Unfortunately the only channel I have access to is showing Washington State v Colorado State. I'll have to find alternative means.

I haven't seen him live and like to see what he's like for myself.

It's not on for another hour. I'm surprised you get the crap Washington State game since the game with Carr is on ABC here, and is the "game of the day" so to speak

I am, first real time getting to see Carr. Could be a big game for Trojans safety Dion Bailey too. Want to see Lee too, want to check out all the top Wrs browns might take.

I picked Colorado to win this game ......"I've made a huge mistake"

cashman

Banned
I am, first real time getting to see Carr. Could be a big game for Trojans safety Dion Bailey too. Want to see Lee too, want to check out all the top Wrs browns might take.

I picked Colorado to win this game ......"I've made a huge mistake"

You definitely did, they're not even playing!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

I am, love the Fresno USC rivalry. As pointed out lots of first round talent in the game but I'm mainly going to be watching Marquis Lee since I know he'll be on the Lions draft board come draft day.

squicken

Sando did an Insider piece ranking the possible coaching vacancies from worst to first.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mike-sando/post?id=5430

These are the sorts of competing views that NFL insiders offered when asked to assess potential coaching vacancies around the league. The head coach and candidate joined a general manager, personnel director, longtime agent and a quarterback in ranking nine potential openings from a candidate's perspective. Two clear favorites emerged along with a fuller picture of the landscape. We rank the potential openings from worst to first.

9. Oakland
8. Dallas
7. Washington
6. Minnesota
5. Tennessee
4. Jets
3. Tampa
2. Detroit
1. Houston

I'll copy paste the DET and HOU sections, but if anyone wants parts from any of the others let me know

2. Detroit Lions

There's a huge gap between the top two teams and the others in the eyes of league insiders. Detroit and Houston finished among the top two on just about every ballot. Both organizations project stability. Both are known for providing all the resources coaches covet. There's no questioning the Lions' talent.

"They have a QB, they have Megatron, a running back, Ndamukong Suh," the GM said. "You just need to improve the back half of your defense. [Team president] Tom Lewand is good to work for. There is an ability from a coaching perspective to probably get the personnel you want. Their ownership is outstanding. There is a degree of patience still."

Ownership previously stood by Matt Millen as its top football decision maker for seven losing seasons. Current coach Jim Schwartz has been on the job for five seasons, returning in 2013 after going 4-12 last season. Patience can be frustrating for fans, but coaching candidates covet stability.

"The No. 1 place for me would be Detroit with William Clay Ford as your owner," the agent said. An NFL team exec put it this way: "The Fords do things first class behind the scenes and they give you time. Schwartz could have been fired before. They have a great facility, the stadium is nice. The Lions appear to be a leader short of coming through."

That lack of leadership can be difficult to quantify. One coach for another team grimaced when he saw Baltimore's Justin Tucker convert a 61-yard field goal to beat Detroit on Monday night. Watching the Lions lose wasn't the hard part. The coach didn't like the way Detroit, with a formidable defensive front, failed to threaten the kick after a bad snap disrupted Tucker and prevented him from making full contact. The quarterback consulted for this piece thought the Lions could win a championship with Matthew Stafford, but only if a new coach instills discipline. "Players there say there are no repercussions," the QB said. "If they could bring discipline and structure there, they have a chance."

The personnel director thought the Lions' personnel was not only good but versatile enough to succeed if a new coach installed different schemes. "They have all the pieces," the director said. "The secondary needs to get shored up, but with the right coach there, maybe you go with an offensive-minded guy with a good defensive coordinator."

1. Houston Texans

The Texans ranked first or second on every ballot even though the team has lost 12 consecutive games following a 2-0 start. "With the Texans, you have a great owner in Bob McNair," an executive from another team said. "He is involved, but they are first class. They do things the right way. They have all the resources." Coach Gary Kubiak lasted seven-plus seasons and was let go only after the team spiraled out of contention against all expectations, with Matt Schaub improbably becoming unviable as a starting quarterback.

NFL teams spend millions on players, but when coaches need something as seemingly insignificant as, say, a printer to produce sharper photos for reviewing formations on the sideline, sometimes the money can be tough to come by -- even for a winning organization. That is not the case in a place such as Houston. And with Rick Smith expected to remain in the role as GM, there figures to be stability and continuity.

"It starts from the top of the organization, which is solid and sound," the GM said. "Rick is a good GM to work with. They do have talent there. They get a high pick and will have a chance to get a franchise quarterback."

McNair has indicated the team likes its personnel and expects to win again quickly.

"It's important to know the philosophy of the personnel department," the candidate said. "How are you building the team? Free agency? The draft? Are you willing to be aggressive to get players? Will you get players over 30 to help you for a year or two, or are you looking to go young and build for the future? A big thing is the GM and how the personnel decisions are made within the building and what is the philosophy."

That part is in order for any coach taking over the Texans.

"Houston would be No. 2 behind Detroit on my list," the personnel director said. "They have skill players offensively. Andre Johnson is a heckuva player. The young kid out of Clemson (DeAndre Hopkins) has done a nice job. They have two tight ends who can play, and a great defensive player in J.J. Watt They have an owner who wants to win and a ton of resources with all the facilities. They are willing to do what you need to do to get better in free agency. They have shown a commitment to the draft."

effzee

There you have it, the Eagles are getting their leadership from a dog killer and a racist. Great franchise you got there!

Cooper is a leader?

Vick has proven himself to be a changed person. The animal rights groups he was sentenced to work with, he still works with and was awarded for it.

Still I do realize not all teams can be clean cut as the Cowboys.

squicken

Can you post Tampa please?

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The head coach we consulted had seen the Buccaneers on film and loved their personnel. He used the word "loaded" to describe a defense featuring Gerald McCoy, Lavonte David, Mark Barron and Darrelle Revis. He also thought the offensive line had talent, and quarterback Mike Glennon had promise. For that reason, this coach ranked Tampa Bay third.

People I've spoken with around the league think Greg Schiano will probably keep his job after a rocky start to the season. Player sources said Schiano started to win over the team after backing off some of the college tactics that didn't go over well with pro players. That included waving off an edict requiring players standing on the sideline to wear their helmets, keep their chin straps snapped and place their hands on their hips. The thinking is that NFL players will do just about anything that helps the team win. It's the silly stuff that turns them off.

If the Tampa Bay job does open up, the agent we consulted warned of hidden headaches. "You've got an owner with meddling sons, a fan base that is hit-and-miss in terms of their support, a quarterback situation still somewhat up in the air," the agent said. "The sons, they are playing fantasy football with real people, their own employees. It is very well known in the industry. They can insist certain people play and certain things be done. It is Jerry Jones light. They have some good young talent there. It's a place that they got over the hump, they started winning, they won a Super Bowl, but even with all that, they still haven't quite established a winning culture that can transcend the coach."

The agent also thought Schiano would keep his job. "When they were 0-8, he personally started changing his own methods because he knew it was really about his job," the agent said. "Now, he probably feels less threatened. They generally don't like paying off contracts as well. I would agree that he is less endangered. I think there will be a couple assistant coaches who get replaced."

DMczaf

Thanks!

The agent also thought Schiano would keep his job.

iHa4znUg7hx9O.gif

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
As much shit as the Fords get, and I give them shit, there is no doubt they are loyal for better or worse. Like the article squicken posted that is great for a coach looking for stability. We just need to find the right guy.

We're lucky not to have a Jim Irsay, Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones or whoever the hell is destroying the Raiders right now.

Loyalty is great when you have the right coach.

squicken

Can you post Oakland?

Considered worst from people Sando talked to

9. Oakland Raiders

Owner Mark Davis recently pledged patience as the Raiders finish their second season with Dennis Allen as head coach. That would mark a change from the recent past. Allen is the team's seventh head coach over the past decade. But the feeling among the insiders we consulted was that Oakland was by far the least desirable situation among those considered most likely to open up.

"Your owner does not have big money, the team may move and now it appears as though in the AFC West, you are pretty far behind all the other teams," the agent said.

The Raiders head toward the 2014 offseason with more projected salary-cap space than any team in the league. That means they'll be in position to upgrade their roster after parting with quarterback Carson Palmer and others during a roster purge. But Davis has very little track record. Will he pay to make the necessary upgrades? Is he focused on the right things or more concerned about his image, as the case appeared to be when he reportedly fired the team's public relations director following publication of a profile he found unflattering? And what about the recent NFL.com report suggesting the Raiders haven't extended contracts for Allen's staff?

"What I'm going to do is empower the head coach to hire his staff, the best possible staff that he can hire," general manager Reggie McKenzie said when Allen was hired. "The head coach will have the right to hire any coach that he wants."

Speculation over Allen's future after less than two seasons stems in part from the news about his staff's uncertain status. On the field, the Raiders have beaten five teams while going 8-22 during their first two seasons under Allen, all with one of the least talented rosters around. They need help just about everywhere.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
lol that D Rose joke just isn't going to die haha

Every game I watch of USC, Lee is on the training table getting work done

Not good. squick who are your favorite receivers coming out of this draft if you've been following them. We need a nice weapon opposite Megatron like we once did with crackhead Titus Young.

squicken

Not good. squick who are your favorite receivers coming out of this draft if you've been following them. We need a nice weapon opposite Megatron like we once did with crackhead Titus Young.

I worry about Lee. Seems small and that corner just threw him down, and Fresno's corners suck

Guy who I think is a no doubter is Sammy Watkins. Same with Jace Amaro as a TE. I worry about Mike Evans from A&M. I need to know why he disappeared in some games. His fault? Coaching? Also some fitness concerns. Cooks from OSU looks really good too

It's supposed to be a really deep WR draft, but no Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson

Yeah I keep telling people no coach is gonna want to come here if Allen is fired. And they think Gruden will leave the booth for this lol

Anyway thanks for posting.

No problem. Tough spot for the fans if it is true about the owner. Worst thing is when the owner is bad.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The only good answer on Fraudgers is that his clavicle didn't heal correctly. Otherwise, the situation makes no sense to me.

Top Bottom