• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 2 |OT| - Manning Bowl III

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

The Eagles offense is so good, yet the defense suuuuuuuucks. They are going to have to come up with at least a few stops a game to have a chance at winning. Yesterday they forced one punt... ONE! That's not gonna cut it.

That being said, the offense also left points on the field with some dropped balls, penalties, and bad throws. Ugh.

The one good thing to come out of yesterday: my picks were money and I'm winning in both pick' em leagues now.

squicken

Rams-Falcons thoughts

-Matt Ryan threw for the second most yards (374) he's ever thrown for, this with no running game and a hobbled Roddy White. That's a week after giving up 327 yards to Carson Palmer. In both games the two QBs had YPAs of 8+ yards

-That's not to slight Ryan or Palmer. It's not a "we lost you didn't win" argument. Just pointing out the defense is putrid vs the pass. It will sink the season if they don't fix it

-Run defense is "good" but I really have no idea. There's like 3 teams in the NFL that can actually run the ball anyway. I guess congrats to the defense for forcing the opposing offenses to choose the play call that lets them get 8 yards per play

-Getting good pressure but 6 sacks on 90 drop backs isn't going to deter anyone

-They got some stops that let the offense get back in it, but as soon as ATL needed to score or close out the game, they were as helpless as ever

-Special teams had 4 penalties vs ATL that lead to an average starting field position of their own 16. Best start was their own 26. Really tough to win that way

-No sacks allowed, but a lot of that is ATL giving up on the pass rush and just trying to knock down the short passes, which they did 3 times

-I watch Red Zone Channel and see teams running these great screen games. Or getting guys 5 yards open. The thing that has always bugged me about watching the Rams is there is never a free lunch. No busted coverages. No 5 yard dump off that goes for 30 yards. I thought it was the receivers not stressing the defenses but now idk. QB or cordinator, if they don't fix that, they should both be gone

-Schottenheimer couldn't be less creative with Tavon. He's basically a slot WR. He has two carries on reverses for -4 yards and he took one from the pistol vs ATL. ooh la la

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
need the SF fans meltdowns about how tasteless he is now to make my day complete

Sherman may be an asshole but Harbaugh made him that way. Can't even acknowledge his former college players. I'd love to see Luck and Indy beat SF just to see him go into full teenage girl mode.

Dead Man

Fuck me, Australian TV seems not to be showing the Monday Night games this year. Looks like I will need to figure out that VPN/NFL pass thing.

Got GTA.

Squeeeeeeeeeee

4JCINXy.gif

I WANT IT! IIIII WAAAANNNTT IT NOOOOOOOWWOOWWWOWOWW!

I feel really bad for Griffin.

He'll get back to himself but it takes time. I don't expect to see shades of himself until two thirds of the season is through and probably won't see him back to being fully back until the last couple of games.

This season should just be about him getting right and us prepping for a splash in free agency now that the cap penalty is gone so we can go full rev next season.

Sappy113

Rams-Falcons thoughts
-I watch Red Zone Channel and see teams running these great screen games. Or getting guys 5 yards open. The thing that has always bugged me about watching the Rams is there is never a free lunch. No busted coverages. No 5 yard dump off that goes for 30 yards. I thought it was the receivers not stressing the defenses but now idk. QB or cordinator, if they don't fix that, they should both be gone

-Schottenheimer couldn't be less creative with Tavon. He's basically a slot WR. He has two carries on reverses for -4 yards and he took one from the pistol vs ATL. ooh la la

Not impressed with either Schotty or Walton. Schotty gameplans almost like he's scared, only daring to crank it up once the team's in a hole. Be more aggressive, try to dictate the flow of the game and put up some early points.

Walton has sucked so far. Fisher swears by his zone coverage scheme, but Walton is running a zone coverage so soft, it looks like liquid shit. And the worst part is, it hurts our pass rush. It's getting pressure, but so hard to pass rush when the QB consistently has an open man after 1-2 seconds. That's the worst part so far.

Not sure how you can blame Bradford for a lack of busted coverages or lack of long-YAC dumpoffs. Offense is playing decent to good football - at least in the second half. Surprisingly, it's the D that looks worse off than last year.

Hard to say right now how much better it will look once the growing pains subside - youngest team in the league and soforth - and how much is just due to plain old poor gameplanning. We'll see. If not for the many boneheaded miscues, yesterday was a winnable game. Been a while since the Rams could at least make opponents sweat just from the offensive output. But plenty to fix.

Milchjon

I'm so jealous. You better post some impressions for us!

Only about 90 minutes of playing:

Car handling is much improved (for my taste, much more grip).

Bikes are fun again.

INSANE amount of small stuff no other game would care for.

The world is biiiiig.

Cops are a bit easy to attract, but easier to shake off.

Backcountry is baaaaaack! Right now I'm riding a dirtbike up Mount Chiliad.

Haven't played more than two missions, but I don't need next gen this year. This game should be good for a few hundred hours.

squicken

I just don't know on the offense. I'm fairly comfortable saying Schottenheimer is bottom half of the league as far as game planning and play calling. Lots of people questioned his ability to use Ausitn properly and he has really bungled that. Did the offense do well b/c ATL eased up, or b/c they went no huddle?

I am far more concerned about the defense. They are tracking to be as bad as the Saints defense last year. I think every QB is going to have his top performance of the year against them

Milchjon

Full lap of the highway around the island: 13 minutes in a quick car, and that doesn't include half the city part.

Only slight disappointment for me is that the radio still can't hang with SA/VC.

Everything else is flawless for me after ~2h.

Thoughts on Dolphins-Colts:

First things first, as expected these teams were pretty evenly matched (YPP 6.0 to 6.2, TOP 29:26 to 30:34, etc.). I had a feeling this game would go down to the wire and it did, same as last year, only this time the Dolphins D was able to finish the job.

The Dolphins looked great out of the gate, scoring TD's on their first two drives. Despite what anyone says the gameplan was clearly designed to get Wallace more targets and it worked very well. Tannehill found him on slants, out-routes, curls, and of course the screen-pass TD, and he was looking his way very often early in the game.

Overall Tannehill played a solid game. His timing was good, his decision making was sharp, he threw the ball with accuracy and velocity, and he hit some tight windows without doing anything overly risky. His pocket presence was the one area he looked a little shaky in at times. I feel like there was a sack or two he could have avoided by stepping up, but overall he looked decent in that area as well, especially on the long pass to Wallace in the 3rd quarter when he stepped away from a potential Mathis sack.

Lamar Miller had a much improved game over last week, again as expected, with 14 carries for 69 yards (matching his rookie average for YPC at 4.9). Thomas added 30 yards on 8 carries, and H-back Charles Clay took his first career carry into the endzone on a 1 yard TD in the 3rd quarter that would prove to be a game winner. The balance was in a good spot overall, with 39 pass plays and 27 runs.

The o-line was bad once again. The Dolphins gave up 5 sacks, with 1 being an abysmal sack given up by Clabo on a 3 man rush from the Colts. For the most part Tannehill has not been afforded the luxury to let long plays develop. This needs to improve or it'll be a long season for Tannehill.

One final thought regarding the offense --- they continue to play mistake-free football, or at least close to it. They had one turnover on a Tannehill fumble that was questionable at best, but other than that no fumbles or INT's. Last week Tannehill had 1 INT on a tipped ball but the team had no other turnovers, making the total 2 in 2 games. Not too shabby, Philbin.

The Dolphins D was inconsistent at best. They gave up 133 yards on the ground and allowed Brown and Bradshaw to average 4.3 YPC. Not at all what I expected going into this game, and it doesn't bode well considering the Colts' RB and o-line issues. One bright spot was Phillip Wheeler who had 12 tackles including 2 for a loss and the game winning sack on Luck on a 4th down.

In terms of the secondary it was all about picking on Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson all day. The Dolphins are still without 2nd and 3rd round CB picks Will Davis and Jamar Taylor, and they also played without Dimitri Patterson (second CB on the depth chart). Luck took advantage of the shallow Dolphins' secondary all afternoon. Grimes played just like the Falcons fans told me he would. He had perfect coverage on a long bomb to Hilton but allowed him to make the catch over the top when he went for the pick. However, he made up for that play with a huge INT in the endzone on a deep ball intended for Reggie Wayne later in the game.

The d-line really disappointed me in this game. I already covered their run coverage, but they were equally mediocre in rushing the passer, with only 3 sacks on Luck (and 6 hits). The combination of the beat-up secondary and lack of pressure allowed Luck to get it going most of the day, but thankfully the defense did a good job of stiffening up as the Colts got closer to the goal line.

All of that is great and all but the real takeaway from this game will be the huge defensive stand by the Dolphins at the end of the game. This game looked eerily similar to last year's matchup with the Colts when the Phins allowed Luck to win the game with a 4th quarter game-winning drive, but this time they held when they had to and finished off the deal. It'll be a real confidence booster for the entire team, I'm sure. That said, I'm still disappointed the offense wasn't able to get it done on the drive before the final Colts drive when they got inside Colts territory and fizzled out with Tannehill missing a 3rd down pass over the middle that would have kept things going. But, good teams finish games on offense and/or defense, and this time it was the D's chance to step up when it mattered.

Overall I'm liking where the team is headed but there are plenty of areas to be concerned with. Atlanta should be a real test for this team but at least the Dolphins will be heading back to Miami for that matchup.

Only about 90 minutes of playing:

Car handling is much improved (for my taste, much more grip).

Bikes are fun again.

INSANE amount of small stuff no other game would care for.

The world is biiiiig.

Cops are a bit easy to attract, but easier to shake off.

Backcountry is baaaaaack! Right now I'm riding a dirtbike up Mount Chiliad.

Haven't played more than two missions, but I don't need next gen this year. This game should be good for a few hundred hours.
Sounds awesome! It'll be one of the few games I pay full price for this year.

I'm really happy with the strides that Miami is making. It's real early to celebrate much, but the game in Indy was exactly the type of game that we'd lose for the past few years. Tannehill looked better on the road than any Dolphins QB has in years, and the defense came up big when they needed to. The future looks bright in Miami, even if it's probably not going to all come together this season.

Yeah with all the big plays made yesterday I was really confused. Such a foreign sight.

I hope this isn't like that one year though, where we were great on the road and just fucking horrible at home...

Yeah with all the big plays made yesterday I was really confused. Such a foreign sight.

I hope this isn't like that one year though, where we were great on the road and just fucking horrible at home...
Optimist: The Dolphins only won 2 road games last season and have already matched that total.

Pessimist: The Dolphins won their first two games in 2010 (both road games as well) and finished the season 7-9.

Take your pick. :p

JCizzle

CK killing me, but Roman a little more so. He didn't even make an effort to get WR in space until the 4th. News flash :they weren't winning 1v1, do something to get them separation.

Hunter S.

Fuck GTA, but you got the right spirit :)

Not fair the Europeans get GTA first when the whole game makes fun of American society.

My hype is through the roof!!!

Edit: 1,200 missing due to Colorado floods and it is raining everywhere as i went across much of the state this weekend.
*sigh*

I just don't know on the offense. I'm fairly comfortable saying Schottenheimer is bottom half of the league as far as game planning and play calling. Lots of people questioned his ability to use Ausitn properly and he has really bungled that. Did the offense do well b/c ATL eased up, or b/c they went no huddle?

I am far more concerned about the defense. They are tracking to be as bad as the Saints defense last year. I think every QB is going to have his top performance of the year against them

Probably a combination of the typical Mike Smith easing up and losing Spoon and Biermann to injury in the second half.

I thought overall we played well considering all of the pieces we ended up missing or that were extremely limited (Roddy) due to injury.

Offensive line played much better in pass protection than they did a week ago and I would expect them to continue to improve as the season goes on.

Quizz Rodgers is not an every down back so Snelling should have been running the ball once S-Jax went out, glad they finally realized this at the end.

Julio Jones is a beast. Him and Ryan seem to be clicking on all cylinders now. We just need White to get healthy now. Throw in Douglas finally starting to consistenly make some plays and this offense could be a nightmare for defenses if everyone can get healthy.

Both Spoon and Biermann were all over the field until their injuries.

Thought Bartu played very well in his first regular season action, which makes me think Nicholas is definitely a backup now.

Seems McClain was targeted way more than either Trufant or Alford. That's a good sign. Once Samuels gets healthy, McClain can be the Dime back.

Think Tony not being at camp is having a short term effect at the beginning of the season. He doesn't seem to be quite in sync with Ryan right now.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Some thoughts from section 225 at Soldier Field yesterday afternoon.

The Bears were fortunate to get the win. Can't have 4 turnovers and expect to win against a good football team, luckily the Bears were playing the Vikes. That game should have been a blowout, but the Bears let the Vikings hang around like a rancid fart. Kickoff return for a touchdown unacceptable. Sack/fumble for a touchdown. 2 interceptions in the redzone for Smoking Jay Cutler.

The good:
Offensive line continues its stellar play.
Matt Forte. 90 yards rushing, 70 receiving. That's what I was expecting from the Trestman offense.
Black Unicorn. The Bears have a competent TE. No more Kellen Davis and Matt Speath bullshit. I bet the Giants would like to have him back.
2 minute offense.

The bad:
Redzone turnovers
Matt Forte fumble
The defense.
Defensive line pass rush. Where is it?

Bowser

What is unquestionably true is that the Panthers are a wildly successful team in short yardage. Since Rivera took over and the Panthers drafted Cam Newton first overall, Carolina has run the ball on third-and-1 or fourth-and-1 43 times. It has converted 35 of those runs for first downs or touchdowns, meaning that its break-even rate on those plays has been a whopping 81.4 percent. Newton, in particular, has been near-unstoppable: He is 16-for-18 on those carries as a pro. You wouldn't want to risk sneaking him on every single short-yardage play just for the purposes of keeping him healthy, but with the game on the line, you simply have to turn to Newton. And even if you don't, Carolina's backfield is full of expensive running backs; Jonathan Stewart is hurt, but the Panthers could just as easily have handed the ball to DeAngelo Williams or Mike Tolbert. Even if you want to accuse that data of being too small to analyze, what do you think Carolina's "true" success rate is if it ran the ball a million times with a yard to go against an average defense? Would it convert 60 percent of the time? 70 percent? Literally, if the Panthers had to sit down and write a résumé, the first strength they would mention is their effectiveness in short yardage. And yet, Rivera turned down another opportunity to use that strength to seal a victory.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9680034/bill-barnwell-week-2-nfl-season

Barney-kills-himself-how-i-met-your-mother-31103879-320-163.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom