• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 2 |OT| - Manning Bowl III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
scrolljagsgame_original.jpg

amazing

:jnc

bionic77

Does it hurt you that the Packers clowned the Steelers with a 10 man defense in the Super Bowl? Does it hurt your soul?
It did at first. But now we realize that your team is a bunch of dirty thugs who cheat with PEDs.

Ugh, fucking Giants. Why did you have to choke a 100 point lead away in the 4th quarter and let those thugs into the playoffs where they clearly did not belong? And stupid Pouncey. Why couldn't we have a center that was not made of glass? Also stupid Ben and Mendy for supporting terrorism and choking in the Superbowl.

:(

effzee

Lamenting further...

I knew they weren't expected to do anything this year but even if they thought they could, yesterday's loss hurts their chances a lot.

Next up is KC at home, Broncos @ Denver, Giants @ NYC, and then Bucs @ Tampa.

That is 3 road games in a row with both Manning brothers salivating to go against this pathetic D. Good lawd I can just imagine the #s they put up.

Lose to KC on TNF, and the Eagles are definetely losing 4 in a row starting off 1-4.

Have to beat KC to have any shot this season. Def loss at Denver. Giants you never know division games.

eznark

Banned
It did at first. But now we realize that your team is a bunch of dirty thugs who cheat with PEDs.

Ugh, fucking Giants. Why did you have to choke a 100 point lead away in the 4th quarter and let those thugs into the playoffs where they clearly did not belong? And stupid Pouncey. Why couldn't we have a center that was not made of glass? Also stupid Ben and Mendy for supporting terrorism and choking in the Superbowl.

:(

Clay+Matthews+Super+Bowl+XLV+Media+Day+S66kOdcLfkDl.jpg

this_guy

Detroit Lions had 90 yards of total offense in the second half yesterday.

GET USED TO IT LEAGUE

Holy fuck. Packers are second in the league in scoring with 66 total points. The Broncos have 66 points...in the second half!! Jesus fucking Christ.

That's a 25 year old quarterback that got those 90 total yards in the 2nd half. 25!!!

eznark

Banned
Playing that joke of a one man team doesn't count, especially one QBed by someone 10x worse than ponder.

Losing to Webb would truly have been an embarrassment. Not sure if it would have been as bad as losing to Flacco, but I haven't experienced that particular humiliation so I'm not sure.

A dead kitten could beat Joe Webb. Big accomplishment.
Think Tebow could have beaten him? Think a team Tebow beat would be able to beat a Joe Webb team? Questions, questions...

bionic77

Losing to Webb would truly have been an embarrassment. Not sure if it would have been as bad as losing to Flacco, but I haven't experienced that particular humiliation so I'm not sure.

Think Tebow could have beaten him? Think a team Tebow beat would be able to beat a Joe Webb team? Questions, questions...
Fuck you.

Tebow is 10 times the man your fraud qb is. He is a better football player too.

How frustrated were you (and I would assume Washington writers) with his post game press conference? Does the man just not understand that Philly and GB gave no fucks in the fourth quarter? He hangs his hat on garbage time numbers. He is really not good right now.

I tune him out because I already know what the deal is. I've seen guys come back from ACL tears in the NBA--those guys don't even believe in themselves to do jack shit for a few months minimum. You throw AP out of the picture in terms of recovery rate and look at say--Tom Brady, who had a significantly longer recovery period--dude was average to bad his first few games if you look at the gamelog.

Even AP was merely good and didn't even have another TD run past the first game until week 7 when he went beast mode.

After two games in 2009 coming back from the ACL Brady was 2-2 in TD-Int's with a QBR of 75 .

So no matter what Griff says he's shook right now--everbody gets shook after a tear. We can't bench him though because you have to heal the injury mentally. You only get through that by shitting the bed enough times until you start feeling normal again.

Talamius

I forgot to do my weekly whining about Rivera's dumbass.

Yet another 4th and 1 that would've sealed the game, that Rivera didn't even consider going for.

Fox was conservative, Rivera is chickenshit.

We haven't Alligatorjandro, we haven't :(

Barnwell devoted almost half of his article to Rivera's coaching and actually put the 3rd and 1/4th and 1 stats out there. When they actually do go for it, they make it far more often than they don't. Snippet here:

Bill Barnwell on Grantland said:
What is unquestionably true is that the Panthers are a wildly successful team in short yardage. Since Rivera took over and the Panthers drafted Cam Newton first overall, Carolina has run the ball on third-and-1 or fourth-and-1 43 times. It has converted 35 of those runs for first downs or touchdowns, meaning that its break-even rate on those plays has been a whopping 81.4 percent. Newton, in particular, has been near-unstoppable: He is 16-for-18 on those carries as a pro.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9680034/bill-barnwell-week-2-nfl-season

The only logical conclusion is simple: Ron Rivera is a coward. It comes through in the press conferences as well. He'll blame the players for not making a play but never accepts responsibility for his calls.

eznark

Banned
I tune him out because I already know what the deal is. I've seen guys come back from ACL tears in the NBA--those guys don't even believe in themselves to do jack shit for a few months minimum. You throw AP out of the picture in terms of recovery rate and look at say--Tom Brady, who had a significantly longer recovery period--dude was average to bad his first few games if you look at the gamelog.

After two games in 2009 coming back from the ACL Brady was 2-2 in TD-Int's with a QBR of 75 .

So no matter what Griff says he's shook right now--everbody gets shook after a tear. We can't bench him though because you have to heal the injury mentally. You only get through that by shitting the bed enough times until you start feeling normal again.

Yeah, right now the bubbling comp is Carson Palmer who was (and still tends to be) hesitant to totally plant that front foot and coincidentally was golden in garbage time. The thing that annoyed me though was his insistence that those fourth quarter meaningless stats when the game was well out of hand is something to build on. It's basically pre-season at that point. McCarthy and Rodgers were yukking it up on the sidelines in the third quarter. Raji and Jones were doing weird dances. No one gave a fuck about that game after the third quarter. IR3 should be embarrassed about that shit, not hanging his hat on it like it's something to build on.

Also what's Fred Davis' deal? Is he just a "gives-no-fucks" guy? Played a terribly lazy game.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The only logical conclusion is simple: Ron Rivera is a coward. It comes through in the press conferences as well. He'll blame the players for not making a play but never accepts responsibility for his calls.
Caught some of the local Charlotte sports radio talk this morning, and they're making excuses for him saying "players gotta play".

I can only shake my head.

eznark

Banned
Peter King this morning and someone from NBC last night.

And definitely seems they're implying we will use a first on him.

I love Manziel as a college QB. He is basically perfect. Athletic, fearless, tough as balls. He knows college secondaries basically suck donkey balls and knows if he can just buy five seconds or so to force zones to crumble or dbacks to turn, he has holes for days. That said watching him against Alabama and I tried to map those skills to a NFL comp. My closest comparison:

Derek Anderson

Sorry bro.

Yeah, right now the bubbling comp is Carson Palmer who was (and still tends to be) hesitant to totally plant that front foot and coincidentally was golden in garbage time. The thing that annoyed me though was his insistence that those fourth quarter meaningless stats when the game was well out of hand is something to build on. It's basically pre-season at that point. McCarthy and Rodgers were yukking it up on the sidelines in the third quarter. Raji and Jones were doing weird dances. No one gave a fuck about that game after the third quarter. IR3 should be embarrassed about that shit, not hanging his hat on it like it's something to build on.

Also what's Fred Davis' deal? Is he just a "gives-no-fucks" guy? Played a terribly lazy game.

He's mentally fucked. When coming back from an injury like that you have to say whatever you have to in order to keep your mind from having a breakdown. So he just makes those statements to pump himself up. He's not changing any minds or fooling anyone in the media right now--local media acknowledges his stats as unreliable at best at this point.

The problem is that the team is made for read option and running the football. The entire offensive line is built entirely on run blocking. They can't pass protect. We have a worst in the league defense right now and we're coming off two consecutive seasons of huge salary cap pentalities due to the lockout.

So Griff is marching out there every week running an offense that the team is either not built to run (pocket passing offense) or he's unable to run at this point in his recovery (read option) with a defense that's as bad as you could possibly imagine. Most guys would just end themselves under that. Our only hope is that Griff looks like himself in week 16 --we have no expectations of returning to the playoffs.

What the hell, Aaron Nagler of Cheesehead TV is lead writer at Bleacher Report?

He's on the new Sirius Sports Zone channel's Bleacher Report show. Damn, I've clearly been out of the loop. How did that turd make that sort of jump?

eznark

Banned
Happened last year I think. Nagler is awful. He has spent his entire time at BR shitting on the Packers in the hopes that people won't think him biazzzz

Fred Davis has been the "He should really bust out" guy since his sophomore year at USC.

Wasn't he pretty solid last year? Seems like every week he was torching two-high looks with seams and posts.

He's mentally fucked. When coming back from an injury like that you have to say whatever you have to in order to keep your mind from having a breakdown. So he just makes those statements to pump himself up. He's not changing any minds or fooling anyone in the media right now--local media acknowledges his stats as unreliable at best at this point.

The problem is that the team is made for read option and running the football. The entire offensive line is built entirely on run blocking. They can't pass protect. We have a worst in the league defense right now and we're coming off two consecutive seasons of huge salary cap pentalities due to the lockout.

So Griff is marching out there every week running an offense that the team is either not built to run (pocket passing offense) or he's unable to run at this point in his recovery (read option) with a defense that's as bad as you could possibly imagine. Most guys would just end themselves under that. Our only hope is that Griff looks like himself in week 16 --we have no expectations of returning to the playoffs.

Anyone ask about the long conversation with little Shannahan that FOX highlighted a bit?

ChanHuk

Banned
Tyvon Branch has a broken leg :( rumors are that it's just the fibula so recovery time is short since the tibula is the weight bearing bone.

Syrinx

Caught some of the local Charlotte sports radio talk this morning, and they're making excuses for him saying "players gotta play".

I can only shake my head.

During the Bucs game there were a couple of times where John Lynch (first player I ever owned a jersey for) mentioned that though the lack of discipline reflected poorly on Schiano, that the players are the ones making the mistakes and need to be held accountable themselves. And it just annoyed the hell out of me, because...he's not wrong and all, but when the mistakes were as widespread as they were, and as many players were screwing up as there were, it should be pretty evident that there is a trend with the whole team, and that the problem stems from something higher up. That being, Greg Schiano is a terrible coach.

eznark

Banned
Faze told me that Kerrigan and Orakpo were going to be a living terror for opposing offenses.

Outside of the opening drive where GB had to settle for a field goal because of back to back sacks, the entire Redskins defense was essentially a non-entity.

The most effective Redskins defensive player was a pylon.

Raider news

Sounds like Tyvon Branch is out for the season with a broken fibula. Sucks. We have Usama Young and Brandian Ross behind him. Young is not too great in coverage, but is a solid tackler and blitzed pretty well yesterday. They had been using Branch almost like a linebacker this year. At least we have Woodson back there to make sure they're lined up correctly and in position.

Kerry Rhodes is still available but I have a feeling a lot of fans would act pretty despicable if Reggie brought him in. Who knows tho.

Also had a good time at the game yesterday. We dominated the Jags even with some mistakes. I know a lot of people wanted us to run up the score on them, but DA and Olson played it safe and conservative and almost treated it like a pre-season game in the 2nd half to minimize the risk for injuries. Played a lot of backups and got Jano comfortable with King holding for him in live games that matter.

Tyvon Branch has a broken leg :( rumors are that it's just the fibula so recovery time is short since the tibula is the weight bearing bone.

I've been hearing he's out for the season. So you think there's a chance he'll be back this year?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
During the Bucs game there were a couple of times where John Lynch (first player I ever owned a jersey for) mentioned that though the lack of discipline reflected poorly on Schiano, that the players are the ones making the mistakes and need to be held accountable themselves. And it just annoyed the hell out of me, because...he's not wrong and all, but when the mistakes were as widespread as they were, and as many players were screwing up as there were, it should be pretty evident that there is a trend with the whole team, and that the problem stems from something higher up. That being, Greg Schiano is a terrible coach.
I noticed that one of the people talking was a former cornerback, and I figured that it's just a player's mentality. For a lot of players, you just gotta trust that the coaches know what they're doing and focus on your own job, but spectators of all kinds aren't beholden to that.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Tank the season. Implode the team. Get the coach fired.

All to rehab one guy... One man is more important than 70 other people, apparently. I actually feel bad for Shanahan, and I think that guy is a fraudulent d-bag.

Barnwell devoted almost half of his article to Rivera's coaching and actually put the 3rd and 1/4th and 1 stats out there. When they actually do go for it, they make it far more often than they don't. Snippet here:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9680034/bill-barnwell-week-2-nfl-season

I agree. The guy just doesn't have the make-up for a good head coach, I'm afraid. He might be a good/very good defensive coordinator, but he's not built to be the one to make the final decisions at the end of the day.

It's past "maybe he'll grow into it" now.

I love Manziel as a college QB. He is basically perfect. Athletic, fearless, tough as balls. He knows college secondaries basically suck donkey balls and knows if he can just buy five seconds or so to force zones to crumble or dbacks to turn, he has holes for days. That said watching him against Alabama and I tried to map those skills to a NFL comp. My closest comparison:

Derek Anderson

Sorry bro.

Ouch

JCizzle

All to rehab one guy... One man is more important than 70 other people, apparently. I actually feel bad for Shanahan, and I think that guy is a fraudulent d-bag.

Shannahan could have prevented this whole situation by being a grown ass man and sitting him last year when he was running around on one leg. Then he's fully healed, gets an offseason, and maybe they're at least competitive in one of these games.

Syrinx

I noticed that one of the people talking was a former cornerback, and I figured that it's just a player's mentality. For a lot of players, you just gotta trust that the coaches know what they're doing and focus on your own job, but spectators of all kinds aren't beholden to that.

I always wondered how stuff like that can affect the mentality and morale of players who are unequivocally doing their job on the field. Like, you're busting your ass and playing great and helping keep your team in the game, and your teammates are screwing up basic fundamental football that keeps putting you in bad positions, taking points off the board, etc. I know team mentality and whatnot, but at some point I think you'd have to get seriously frustrated and maybe lash out.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I honestly feel bad for RG3. With any other organization he'd probably still be improving his game and performing at a high level, but with Snyder and Shanahan it's entirely possible his career will be severely hamstrung without even being able to cash in on that #2 pick.

Or maybe he'll find a way to persevere and bounce back to form.

ChanHuk

Banned
Raider news

Sounds like Tyvon Branch is out for the season with a broken fibula. Sucks. We have Usama Young and Brandian Ross behind him. Young is not too great in coverage, but is a solid tackler and blitzed pretty well yesterday. They had been using Branch almost like a linebacker this year. At least we have Woodson back there to make sure they're lined up correctly and in position.

I've been hearing he's out for the season. So you think there's a chance he'll be back this year?

If it's a simple fibula fx with no ligament damage then it's about a 4-6 week recovery I believe. TO had a fibula fx and had a beast game during the Super Bowl. The fibula isn't a weight bearing bone hence why Tyvon was able to be assisted off the field rather than carted off if it was a tib/fib fx, that's like a 6 month recovery.

eznark

Banned
I honestly feel bad for RG3. With any other organization he'd probably still be improving his game and performing at a high level, but with Snyder and Shanahan it's entirely possible his career will be severely hamstrung without even being able to cash in on that #2 pick.

Or maybe he'll find a way to persevere and bounce back to form.

I don't. If he had fallen 20 spots in the draft he'd be watching Cousins from the sidelines.

Mindlog

Unfortunately Schiano is going to get his way. Freeman is gone. He is the next Steve Young or Vinny Testaverde. Glennon will go in and the flags will keep coming. The Bucs will be stuck with Glennon until well after Schiano is fired. Another college coach comes in, doesn't like Glennon, drafts his own QB and the cycle begins anew.

go bucs

Sappy113

I just don't know on the offense. I'm fairly comfortable saying Schottenheimer is bottom half of the league as far as game planning and play calling. Lots of people questioned his ability to use Ausitn properly and he has really bungled that. Did the offense do well b/c ATL eased up, or b/c they went no huddle?

I'm not entirely sold on Schotty either, but the O did put up 27 and 24, which is better than anything we've seen for years - and should only get better once the O gels a bit more. It should be consistently good enough to put the team in a position to win, if the D can get it's head out of it's ass.

I hope Austin will be more creatively involved as well, once he gets a better feel for the NFL game. He seems a bit tentative right now, but let him get his legs under him. He didn't break any long ones yesterday, but he DID grab 2 TDs.

I am far more concerned about the defense. They are tracking to be as bad as the Saints defense last year. I think every QB is going to have his top performance of the year against them

Obviously my main worry as well, but I'm not quite ready to go there. If we want to play zone, fine, I understand. Keep the ball in front of the inexperienced secondary. But tighten up those zones, give the pass rush just a second longer to reach the QB and be a bit more aggressive. I really think that'll help shore up a lot of the problems - would like help generate more TOs as well.

We'll see in the next 2 games whether they manage to adjust. Both are winnable if the O keeps producing, and the D can step up just a bit. 3-1 for this Rams team would be pretty awesome with that 4 game opening stretch. 2-2 acceptable.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't. If he had fallen 20 spots in the draft he'd be watching Cousins from the sidelines.
If he or Shanahan knew what was good for them, he'd still be watching Cousins from the sidelines more than he did last year, but apparently trusting the backup that put you in the playoffs is too much.

squicken

Skins were overly-reliant on turnovers on defense and had their hot vs bad teams. They had the misfortune of facing the greatest offense of all time and then the Packers in back to back weeks. They have the Lions and Raiders in the next two weeks. If they still can't stop anyone and RG3 has to play pocket passer full time, then I'll start shopping for Lewan/Bridgewater jerseys

Faze told me that Kerrigan and Orakpo were going to be a living terror for opposing offenses.

Kerrigan is a beast.

Orakpo doe...

Are you watching the same league as I am? You do jack shit in the league without a QB. If surrendering the season if what we have to do to have a healthy RGIII moving forward, then that's what we do.

And when we go .500 with Cousins and RGIII has to shake off the rust next year (and eliminates our playoff chances in the process) people are going to question why we didn't just let the guy get the shit out of his ass when we had a chance instead of essentially tanking two years in a row.

eznark

Banned
Oh Bill, why do you even do pressers?

Because he doesn't have a choice.

Redskins should play Cousins, build up his trade value, and move him at the end of the year. Let Griffin rest. They have the cover from Andrews making a stink a few weeks ago. They could easily do it. If Griffin keeps playing like he is now it isn't helping anyone. He is tentative, he is constantly fiddling with his knee brace (Freud will tell you it's probably because he was molested as a child but probably it's because he is worried about his knee) and he simply lacks any accuracy. I don't see what they gain by putting him out there week in and week out.

Tell me about the Dolphins game. I am going to watch it in its entirety today but man it sounds like Tannehill was on.
My unnecessarily long summary from this morning:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=82110973&postcount=11389

Tannehill looked sharp. I have to admit, I'm really surprised with how dedicated Philbin and Sherman are to making him a traditional pocket passer. Two weeks in a row and I still don't think I've seen a single bootleg or rollout. Don't get me wrong, he's doing very well as that type of passer, but with the questionable o-line and his ability to throw on the run you'd think they'd move him around a little more.

If it's a simple fibula fx with no ligament damage then it's about a 4-6 week recovery I believe. TO had a fibula fx and had a beast game during the Super Bowl. The fibula isn't a weight bearing bone hence why Tyvon was able to be assisted off the field rather than carted off if it was a tib/fib fx, that's like a 6 month recovery.

Ah, cool. Well, guess we'll see what happens and hope for the best. If Woodson goes down, we're pretty fucked.

Redskins should play Cousins, build up his trade value, and move him at the end of the year. Let Griffin rest. They have the cover from Andrews making a stink a few weeks ago. They could easily do it. If Griffin keeps playing like he is now it isn't helping anyone. He is tentative, he is constantly fiddling with his knee brace (Freud will tell you it's probably because he was molested as a child but probably it's because he is worried about his knee) and he simply lacks any accuracy. I don't see what they gain by putting him out there week in and week out.

Rest for what? The knee is fine. It's healed. His problem is mental. And having him sit on a couch watching games the whole year isn't going to magically unfuck him. The only way that happens is by playing games enough times until his anxiety goes away by sheer reptition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom