• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 2 |OT| - Manning Bowl III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't watched yesterday's Packers game but I can already tell that the offensive line is terrible and Dom Capers should be fired.

2chRwezm.png
This is why you don't deserve nice things, Jags fans.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Buckethead please get off GAF and focus on next week's game.

You've been lackluster the last two weeks, I want to see improvements. :(

I think it is actually sad watching RGIII out there not able to step into his throws. I have no idea if it is mental or physical but he doesnt look close to the guy he was before injury last year. If I was the Skins I would sit him. I just think 8 months is to quick to come back from an injury like that. Let him get reps and practice, and hopefully in a few weeks or so when he shows he can plant the front foot bring him back.

mkenyon

Banned
I think it is actually sad watching RGIII out there not able to step into his throws. I have no idea if it is mental or physical but he doesnt look close to the guy he was before injury last year. If I was the Skins I would sit him. I just think 8 months is to quick to come back from an injury like that. Let him get reps and practice, and hopefully in a few weeks or so when he shows he can plant the front foot bring him back.
Definitely. Seeing that injury take place in the playoff game last year was so heartbreaking. Bummer it's still affecting him.

bionic77

I haven't watched yesterday's Packers game but I can already tell that the offensive line is terrible and Dom Capers should be fired.

This is why you don't deserve nice things, Jags fans.
I might start my own rally to get Tebow in Pittsburgh.

I thought all sconis went to church? When the fuck did you guys become godless heathens? If you diss Tebow you are no better than a Jets fan.

Also hilarious how no one is talking about the game tonight. I am pretty scared!

SonnyBoy

Just a few thoughts...

RGIII strikes me as a bit selfish and definitely egotistical. Not really horrible traits for a QB but this is his problem.

Someone needs to tell him that he's not a true pocket QB. He can make every throw from the pocket but he cannot YET operate within it. His feel for pressure isn't the greatest and his inability to create mroe time for himself and set his blocking up is evident. It's arguable that such traits are able to be learned, that you either have it or you don't. Time will tell.

His reluctance to run the RO is understandable. Yet, he never got hurt running it. Honestly, he'd prolly be getting hit less if he'd break off a run or two. That's assuming his knee is truly healthy. The real threat of a 40 yard run is wut kepts defenders at bay last year. They don't feel that threat this year and they shouldn't. The RO masked the deficiences in his game, that's no slight towards him. Due to his rehab, he wasn't able to mature in the areas noted above.

I'm curious to see if how he'll grow from this situation.

Bowser

God damn your posts are depressing now.

I'm depressed lol. Tough sledding for Carolina sports - UNC bball has been the only bright spot, and even then there have been tons of heartbreakers (Marshall broken wrist derailing 2011-12 title run). UNC football is scandal ridden and still mediocre, Panthers haven't been worth a shit for nearly 5 years now, the Bobcats are the laughing stock and one of the worst ever teams in the NBA since basically inception (at least we're finally rebranding to the Hornets).

Props to Bills/Browns/Raiders fans, I dunno how y'all do it.

Godslay

Banned
Only chink I can see in the Broncos offensive armor right now is that in both games it took Peyton a half to get going.

Assuming Ball doesn't fumble on the goalline and scores yesterday, they quarters would have scored out like this:

1st: 7
2nd: 10
3rd: 14
4th: 17

I will agree that they look sharper in the final 2 quarters, but I think they are improving in the first half. That first drive yesterday is a good example.

As far as the post-season, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Wes and a solid short run game (Ball if he gets there) will be the panacea as far as I'm concerned.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm depressed lol. Tough sledding for Carolina sports - UNC bball has been the only bright spot, and even then there have been tons of heartbreakers (Marshall broken wrist derailing 2011-12 title run). UNC football is scandal ridden and still mediocre, Panthers haven't been worth a shit for nearly 5 years now, the Bobcats are the laughing stock and one of the worst ever teams in the NBA since basically inception (at least we're finally rebranding to the Hornets).

I guess the honeymoon for the other 49ers is also over. lol

BUT HEY, Knights in uptown!

Bowser

One reporter asked Ron if he took into account the state of his secondary when deciding to go for it on 4th down/kick FG.

His response: "Well, no."

wPQoj.gif

jergrah

Fins Stuff

Just my thoughts on a few things -- specifically the defense. Im not overly worried about the secondary, yet. They buckled down in the 2nd half yesterday and were playing without the #2 CB or the two young guys (Davis and Taylor). Davis has proven to have a knack for being around the ball in pre-season and camp. Taylor has been dealing with a groin, so Im not sure what to expect. But, when those guys get healthy and Patterson is back in, which means less Jimmy Wilson in coverage, pass defense can only get better. And as much as Ive hated him for years, Nolan Carroll has actually played pretty good through 2 weeks.

Dion Jordan Im not worried about at all. Even with limited snaps he recorded a sack in Week 1 and if he wraps up yesterday has another sack vs luck. Id rather they ease him in vs reinjuring his shoulder. Plus, the front guys are playing pretty fantastic, even Shelby in limited snaps has two forced fumbles on QB hits in 2 games.

Overall I think the defense should continue to improve and still be the strength of the team.

My biggest concern is still the pass blocking - but as those guys play together more it should only improve. They got the run game going a bit yesterday, Miller hit the holes quick and showed some of his speed. If he can continue that and Clay can be steady as he has been, the whole offense should open up.

Tough 3 game stretch coming up with Falcons, Saints, Ravens. If they can come out of those 1-2, I'll be happy with a winning record going into the bye week. Hopefully the secondary can at least get Patterson back for this weekends matchup with the Falcons weapons.

Last thing Ill add - was so good to see Philbin call TOs and try to score before half. I dont remember the last time Miami did something like that - usually content to kill the clock and head off.

effzee

Listening to Vick's post game press conference he said on the play he came out and Foles went in that he was fine, he got up after the play and the ref told him he had to come out of the game for 1 play since they were worried he was hurt. He said he told the ref he was fine but he made him come out. Seems odd that a ref can make a player come out of a game in a situation like that. I could see if he was laying on the field looking hurt or something but not when he stands up under his own power and says he is fine.

Well everyone including my wife thought it was a concussion at best and possibly more.

If anything Chip should have taken a time out there, have everyone catch their breath, and then run the ball with McCoy.

Or if you are going to run a play before the 2 min warning with Foles, run the ball with McCoy.

So frustrated with the end of the game and how it felt like Andy Reid decided to show up after 2 games of almost all the right calls and smart coaching.

Chip better learn. We have to beat the Chiefs.

effzee

Looking at the Giants next two and the Eagles next two, I think both teams will be 2-2 by the time they play each other in 3 weeks.

Should be a great match up. Then again with our luck Reid going to destroy his former team. If only we can score 50 + points every game.

squicken

I read a description of the final TD. So stupid it's kind of funny (for an outsider)

The Panthers then botched simple man coverage at the goal line: D.J. Moore waved and gave the international hand gesture for "switch receivers if they cross," and Josh Norman responded with a nod, then Norman stuck with his receiver while Steve Johnson crossed and caught a touchdown in the corner of the end zone.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/60748634/

Looking at the Giants next two and the Eagles next two, I think both teams will be 2-2 by the time they play each other in 3 weeks.

Should be a great match up. Then again with our luck Reid going to destroy his former team. If only we can score 50 + points every game.

The Chiefs defense is the truth. They were in Romo's face like every play it seemed. I think the short week and having to play against Reid, who knows the players on this team so well, this is the week that the offense cant get anything going. I expect the Eagles to lose like 24-13.

JABEE

Just a few thoughts...

RGIII strikes me as a bit selfish and definitely egotistical. Not really horrible traits for a QB but this is his problem.

Someone needs to tell him that he's not a true pocket QB. He can make every throw from the pocket but he cannot YET operate within it. His feel for pressure isn't the greatest and his inability to create mroe time for himself and set his blocking up is evident. It's arguable that such traits are able to be learned, that you either have it or you don't. Time will tell.

His reluctance to run the RO is understandable. Yet, he never got hurt running it. Honestly, he'd prolly be getting hit less if he'd break off a run or two. That's assuming his knee is truly healthy. The real threat of a 40 yard run is wut kepts defenders at bay last year. They don't feel that threat this year and they shouldn't. The RO masked the deficiences in his game, that's no slight towards him. Due to his rehab, he wasn't able to mature in the areas noted above.

I'm curious to see if how he'll grow from this situation.

I very much doubt this is true.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Why am I getting chirped even harder this year?

Had about 4 people here at work come by my desk to tell me "too bad you suck" essentially.

This has never happened before...what has changed?

Fantomex

Thanks, man!

You're probably right about our defense but at least we can say it's yet to be proven. I'll agree that they can give up chunks of yards at times but the points haven't been too easy to come by, especially down near the endzone (same as last season). I agree with you on our offense, it's designed for short to medium plays that help sustain long drives. Tannehill hasn't been going for the home run very often at all.

Agreed on all of these. Great points.

I'm not too worried about Jordan. Right now he is a backup because of how deep the d-line is, so the Phins are fine with using him in certain situations only as his development progresses. Think of it this way --- the fact that the Dolphins have the luxury to sit Jordan most of the game and make 22 year old (younger than Jordan, by the way) Olivier Vernon the starter shows that Ireland has had some real success in building up this line. It's too early to judge Jordan one way or the other but as of right now I'm happy with how he's being utilized (primarily in the "speed" package which includes 3 DE's - Wake, Vernon, and Jordan).

Completely agree. I have no idea where the pass rush was in the first half, and honestly it didn't look much better during a big portion of the second half. Coyle is not shy about dialing up blitzes but the Colts were dealing with them quite well for the most part. Also, Wake was shut down on the outside the entire game which was disappointing.

Yes, what is up with this? You'd think the guy would have more confidence in his evasive ability given his background as a WR but he has looked like a statue in the pocket at times. He especially needs to get better at getting rid of the ball quickly on 3rd downs (particularly when he's being blitzed).

If there was anything that called for waking the baby up, that was it!

Also, from now on whenever the Phins have a big play I will refer to it as "waking the baby."

I hope we wake the baby up a lot! My concern from the pessimistic side of things, is that if Jordan keeps being used this sparingly and one of our good lineman like Pouncey, Incognito or maybe Jerry get hurt, we are going to look super stupid for taking Jordan instead of a lineman. Our line has absolutely no room for injuries, we are being held together by scotch tape from the 99c store.

Had about 4 people here at work come by my desk to tell me "too bad you suck" essentially.

Expectations. People thought that the Browns were going in the right direction this year, but it seems like that is very far from the truth now.

eznark

Banned

You were optimistic. You showed your belly son, people are gonna swipe.

JABEE

I don't know if you have noticed, but you went through a period of being an angry cat for a month after the Leafs choked late in that Game 7 against the Bruins.

It could also be the fact that they could sense your excitement about having a new owner, President, GM and Head Coach. The people in your office are cruel people who wish to crush your spirit.

Edit: Everyone said the same thing! Poor Kave.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
And speaking of sucking.... I am having the best day at work talking shit to about the Niners game.

They really think they got screwed because of the delay/conspiracy.

I hope we wake the baby up a lot! My concern from the pessimistic side of things, is that if Jordan keeps being used this sparingly and one of our good lineman like Pouncey, Incognito or maybe Jerry get hurt, we are going to look super stupid for taking Jordan instead of a lineman. Our line has absolutely no room for injuries, we are being held together by scotch tape from the 99c store.
Definitely valid. We used our top 3 picks on a DE and two CB's, and all of them have contributed little to nothing due to injuries. That's not to say that they're bad picks (no telling at this point), just that they have hurt us somewhat in the short-term. All this on top of the fact that our o-line is mediocre on a good day and has zero depth. Best case scenario is we make the playoffs this season and lose in the first or second round and draft a stud o-lineman or two in the next draft. That's the biggest missing piece I'm seeing right now.

effzee

The Chiefs defense is the truth. They were in Romo's face like every play it seemed. I think the short week and having to play against Reid, who knows the players on this team so well, this is the week that the offense cant get anything going. I expect the Eagles to lose like 24-13.

Defense might be the truth but the best part of Chips game planning is providing a clean pocket.

Now if Vick and the offense play as well as they have they should continue on offense. But they have to get McCoy more carries than 11. Hell all the RBs total should get close to 40 carries.

Then again Reid knows Vick best plus Vick hasn't turned the ball over yet this year so he is due for a 2 INT game.

I'll be at the game so hopefully they can win. Would be a sad 2.5 hr drive home.

Because fuck the Goddamn Browns, that's why. They couldn't even beat the Rats who were giving them the game.

effzee

I know its too small of a turnaround for the Chiefs game, but I would love for the Eagles to take a look at Kerry Rhodes.

After the TNF game they have 10 days. Get him in and get him to start by the Broncos game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom