• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 2 |OT| - Manning Bowl III

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Pac 12 has said Stave did in fact take a knee, that the situation was totally fucked and has reprimanded and sanctioned the officials involved.

Walnut Creek, Calif. -- Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott has reprimanded and taken additional sanctions against officials in Saturday night's Wisconsin at Arizona State game for failing to properly administer the end of game situation and act with appropriate urgency on the game's final play, it was announced today.

With 18 seconds remaining in the game, Wisconsin's quarterback ran the ball toward the center of the field, touched his knee to the ground and then placed the ball on the ground. There was initial uncertainty over whether the quarterback had taken a knee, given himself up or fumbled the ball. As a result several Arizona State players considered the ball live and a fumble, and attempted to recover the ball.

Neither the referee nor anyone on his crew moved with appropriate urgency to clearly communicate that the ball was to be spotted so play could resume promptly.

"This was an unusual situation to end the game," said Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott. “After a thorough review, we have determined that the officials fell short of the high standard in which Pac-12 games should be managed. We will continue to work with all our officials to ensure this type of situation never occurs again."

JABEE

Pac 12 has said Stave did in fact take a knee, that the situation was totally fucked and has reprimanded and sanctioned the officials involved.

Wisconsin has no luck when it comes to last second errors by officials that cost their teams' victories.

jakncoke

Banned
Yeah the browns fans at my old job were excited for the season. I dont know why, most the personal that caused them to be losers last year and the years before still are employed by them. Going to take like 2-3 years of housecleaning and replaced with great decisions or at least good to turn the ship around.

eznark

Banned
That suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

"Our bad guys, we'll try not to let it happen again to other teams. Sorry about that loss or whatever!"

Not a lot they can do but the Badgers are consistently one of the top grossing teams in terms of road teams so if Wisconsin decides to say fuck you to the Pac 12 it's not a small thing.

squicken

Why am I getting chirped even harder this year?

Had about 4 people here at work come by my desk to tell me "too bad you suck" essentially.

This has never happened before...what has changed?

Chud didn't rule out Hoyer starting ahead of JCamp if Old Man Weeden can't go. Maybe your co-workers have that Hoyer fear?

Same here. I think he's 80%. I think the difference is 10% health and 10% fear.

It's...impossible to say, but I guarantee you it's far more than 10% mental.

Look at Derrick Rose's comments about his return...and Rose is every bit if not more the athlete that Griff is:

Derrick Rose's doctor has cleared the Chicago Bulls' star to play, a team source said, but his long-awaited return to the lineup won't occur until he can confidently dunk off his left foot, Rose has told the team.

Rose, who had surgery to repair a tear to the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee on May 12, has been videotaped dunking off each foot, but more casually than he would during a game. A source said that although he has been practicing and scrimmaging hard, he told the Bulls that until he feels "in his mind" he can confidently dunk off his left foot in a game situation, he is not 100 percent mentally ready to return to competition.

The difference between Rose and Griffin is that Rose was more than willing to admit he was mindfucked and would rather hope the passage of time would heal him than playing through it.

I think Rose is wrong and he'll be shook even after waiting forever, because playing shook is just part of the healing process until you get over it.

brentech

Cobb afterburner TD
ibiczjVucAzm54.gif

http://i.minus.com/ibiczjVucAzm54.gif

Matthews wrecking plays
ijfGfmiCrc2Ny.gif

http://i.minus.com/ijfGfmiCrc2Ny.gif

We will need all of those 10 days to plan for the Broncos. And that's just to keep it competitive. I fully expect the Broncos to put up 60 on us.

I think the Eagles defense could spend a whole year getting ready for the Broncos and it wouldnt matter. The only question is does Manning go for 8 TDs and the record.

Godslay

Banned
I think the Eagles defense could spend a whole year getting ready for the Broncos and it wouldnt matter. The only question is does Manning go for 8 TDs and the record.

Let's not get crazy here. That was a once in a lifetime game. If he gets 8 TDs this season, I'll wear the avatar of your choice for 1 week!

exarkun

Forgot to post yesterday, GG Titans fans. It was a hard fought game, I can't believe how much Locker has progressed (from absolute dog shit to OK is huge for one preseason). CJ looked ok, and the Titan's defense was pretty nice (and a little dirty but its a division game).

I have no fucking idea what is wrong with our offense. We play Foster when clearly Tate is the better runner at this point. Slowly put Foster in, not this 16 carries to 8 shit we're still seeing. Schaub looked confused as fuck on those ints and he looked slow as shit when trying to get out of the pocket. Our D-line+Cushing+Jackson have looked good. Its just the random LB that gets burned by TE's/crossing WRs that makes me want to pull my hair out. That, and teams have been willing to throw at Joseph much more than expected which blows my mind but they have had some results which is a little mystifying.

I don't know how I should feel about the team at this point. They aren't bad, but they still win in miraculous ways. Its the anti-kubiak, and it makes me sick.

SonnyBoy

Kirk Cousins should be starting. RG3 is not ready. Anybody with eyes can tell the guy isn't ready. He's clearly not healthy, argue mentally all you want, but something isn't right physically.

It's arguable what the real problem is. Check my last post. IMO it's a mixture of reluctance and confidence.

However, in response to your comment. It's too late to start Kirk. Robert had to learn pocket mobility/awareness eventually, we might as well let him learn in the fire. While he can make ANY throw from the pocket, he has to learn how to operate within it.

I don't see anything in watching RG3 to make me believe he's hurt or not healthy. He's moving around just fine. When he has to run, he still has great speed for a guy 8 months off ACL surgery. People talk like he's limping around out there. He looks fine physically, but it requires more than just physical health to play QB in the NFL. He has to play through this. That's the only way. Sitting on the bench or getting practice reps where he has no danger of getting hit are not going to help him.

What an ugly win but there were some pleasant surprises to go with ongoing problems.

Pros:

- Perhaps the single largest surprise to me was the adjustments Bowles made at half time. The defense did a 180 and completely shut the Lions down in the second half, not allowing a single point. Maybe just maybe Bowles isn't a trash DC after all. Only time will tell!

- Rookies stepped up when needed most. Besides Honey Badger doing his thing (going to be DROTY at this rate), both of our UDFA rookie receivers made some big plays for us. This was crucial with Fitz being out for the second half. Ellington, one of the two RBs we drafted was fantastic. He had a couple big plays including the 36 yd TD but it's really comforting to see RBs who can catch as it should open up our receivers more.

- Our rushing attack was far more effective in this game and Mendy is looking good. It seems we are running by committee to keep Mendy healthy and fresh. Alfonso Smith needs to stop getting carries as he has been completely ineffective both games. He was a training camp and pre-season hero but we clearly have better options on the roster. Ellington was a great change of pace back and I hope to see him further utilized. We should have rushed more with the success we were having on the ground.

- Peterson's coverage of Megatron. You probably think he did a bad job looking at Tron's stats, you would be wrong. Over half of Johnson's yards and one of his two TDs were on one play. A play where Dansby should have intercepted the damn ball and it just barely slipped through his fingers to the point that I thought he had it and I was at the game. If anyone watched it, you probably saw Peterson standing there thinking it was caught. Now I'm not absolving him of any blame as he should have snapped to it and tackled Johnson, but he did not exactly get burned on that play. So besides that flukey play, Megatron was held to 30-40 yds and a 3 yd TD. That's pretty damn good.

- Our defense once again contained the run game. No doubt Bush going out helped this effort but he wasn't doing shit to us before then either and Bell was pretty solid last week and couldn't do much against us. This is comforting as run D was the weak point in Horton's system so perhaps some of our acquisitions have improved us here. We'll see when we go against some of the top runners later in the season but definitely promising.

- Special Teams play! Obviously the blocked field goal/recovery was huge but we gave them pretty shit starting field position all game as well. If they can keep this up each week it's a huge supplement to the rest of the team and helps keep us in games.

Cons:

- Red Zone offense is still atrocious. This cannot continue if we want to win games! My god the amount of points we left on the field, we should have blown them out! 1-4 in the red zone is going to net you losses normally. It always sounds as though this is a big focal point in practice but that has not translated to the field. Arians better get their asses in gear or draw up some better plays.

- 3rd Down Conversions....or lack there of! 1-11???!?! WTF is that? You don't win many games with that ratio. Even if we don't score, need to keep drives going to rest the D.

- Pass rush is still lacking, we need to get more pressure on the QB. I have no doubts this will improve when Washington is back but the fact remains that a stud outside pass rusher is still a top 3 need on the team after LT and franchise QB.

- Fitz's injury, I hope he doesn't force himself to play if he's not healthy and turns it into a nagging issue. After the game he admitted he was only 60 percent going into the game. It was painfully obvious it was affecting him, he just didn't have any burst and was slower than usual. One play in particular would have been a TD had he been at his usual speed. He made some big plays for us but I don't want him playing at below 80 percent and risking himself further injury. I'm glad he sat out the second half but he is already stating that he'll be playing next week. Just heal up properly, Fitz!

Closing Comments: Nice to get the win, especially without Fitz playing half the game but there are some major issues that need to be worked out or we are going to go on a massive losing spree when we hit a rougher stretch of the schedule.

Kas, Stafford's strength couldn't even eck out a win for his team when we were 1-4 in the redzone and 1-11 3rd down conversions AND Fitz didn't play half the game which is an even larger loss than Bush. You should be afraid for your team! GG though Kittens, it was close and hard fought through out. Cardiac Cards are back!

exarkun

I don't see anything in watching RG3 to make me believe he's hurt or not healthy. He's moving around just fine. When he has to run, he still has great speed for a guy 8 months off ACL surgery. People talk like he's limping around out there. He looks fine physically, but it requires more than just physical health to play QB in the NFL. He has to play through this. That's the only way. Sitting on the bench or getting practice reps where he has no danger of getting hit are not going to help him.

Agreed. The reason AP was so amazing wasnt just the physical, its because mentally he seemed even tougher. RG3 is rusty, not still physically damaged. Theres a difference. He didn't get a preseason. He'll be back to his old self midway through the season.

People should talk about the Redskins defense more. Shit is not nice.

eznark

Banned
So apparently one of the Cardinals offensive linemen took a dive at Suh's knees after a play was over? Good for him. Guy is a hero.

Godslay

Banned
It's arguable what the real problem is. Check my last post. IMO it's a mixture of reluctance and confidence.

However, in response to your comment. It's too late to start Kirk. Robert had to learn pocket mobility/awareness eventually, we might as well let him learn in the fire. While he can make ANY throw from the pocket, he has to learn how to operate within it.

If he was close to or fully rehabbed he would have the confidence in the knee. Him letting balls sail like that and bad accuracy tells me he's not there yet, both physically and mentally. Part of being fully rehabbed is the confidence to use the injured part. He should sit.

Throwing him in the fire is silly to me. So you are going to take at least 2 weeks and counting of shitty play, when you could have a perfectly healthy back up in potentially winning games for you or at the very least making you competitive? Put the guy you drafted just for this situation in the game, put the guy that's not 100% on the bench to finish rehabbing, and when RG3 is fully ready put him back in. Throwing shitty balls from the pocket isn't going to help anyone, including RG3.

You've earned yourself a celebration gordita.

Be a man and make it the avatar of hitokage's choice.

Fine, it extends to hitokage as well. If 8 TDs happens they both can decide on an avatar.

RBH

A group of Jacksonville Jaguars fans will hold a rally Monday in the EverBank Field parking lot at 3:16 p.m. ET to encourage the team to sign free-agent quarterback Tim Tebow, a former Heisman Trophy winner from the University of Florida.

The rally is scheduled to last three hours and 16 minutes. The starting time of the rally and the planned duration are nods to a bible verse, John 3:16, which Tebow had inscribed on his eye black in the 2009 BCS title game.

"The Jaguars' season is really in the tank," James Stewart, a 56-year-old Jacksonville native and Jaguars fan who is one of the event's organizers, told ESPN.com. "They don't have a lot of promise. There's not a lot to watch. We're consumers and the Jaguars are a product, and there's a lot of room for improvement. Tebow we think would be value added if he were to be signed and given an opportunity at quarterback. ...

"It's the perfect time in our view to do a Tebow experiment. Whether you like him or not, I think everyone would watch. It would be compelling."

Stewart said that Monday's rally would likely be the first of many. He said he expects to have a rally every Monday afternoon.

Jacksonville is 0-2 after losing to Oakland 19-9 on Sunday. Starting quarterback Blaine Gabbert missed the game with a cut on his throwing hand. Backup quarterback Chad Henne got the start and completed 25 of 38 passes for 241 yards and a touchdown.

The group of Jaguars fans holding the rally have created a website, jags-tebow.com. The mission, according to the website:

"Make it clear, we the fans, want the Jacksonville Jaguars to bring in Tim Tebow. You know you want to see this happen."

Not all Jaguars fans are behind the idea of Tebow joining the team. In May, a Jaguars booster club called the Bold City Brigade started a website, Evenifhesreleased.com, imploring the team not to sign the quarterback.

Jaguars general manager David Caldwell has said in the past that he isn't interested in adding Tebow to the team's quarterback depth chart.

Tebow spent the offseason and training camp with the New England Patriots. He was released when the Patriots pared their roster to 53 players.

No other team has shown interest in signing the 26-year-old quarterback since his release.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9680957/fans-urge-jacksonville-jaguars-sign-tebow-rally

Can't get any worse really

I already see enough throws into the dirt. I don't want to see it increase exponentially with an addition of Tebow. How about we fix that line so it doesn't leak every freaking play? Not much you can do when no lanes are open to run and barely any time to throw.

People should talk about the Redskins defense more. Shit is not nice.

It's the same as it was last year except with Zombie Fletch. Difference was our offense was good enough to keep them off the field for significant amounts of time.

But we've got some guys up for contract renewal in the off-season and will have a real salary cap instead of the BS hits we've taken over the last two seasons. For now though it's Texas A&M bad and there's nothing to fix it.

The fact that we're still not Jags bad is kind of crazy though. We're literally broken in all three phases of the game in every way a team can be but we can't touch the Jags tank.

Colasante

Falcons DE Kroy Biermann going on injured reserve with a torn Achilles'. Team may have missed its Super Bowl window last season until they reload on defense.

squicken

I keep on going back and forth on whether that was a worse call than the onside kick in Autzen back in 2006.

Not even close. The onside kick was so ridiculous. They gave the ball to a team that no official on the field ever saw had possession of the ball. OU had to vacate all the wins that year so eh, but I guess it's a right of passage for all CFB fans to have their Pac 10 refs' cherry popped

I might start my own rally to get Tebow in Pittsburgh.

I thought all sconis went to church? When the fuck did you guys become godless heathens? If you diss Tebow you are no better than a Jets fan.

Also hilarious how no one is talking about the game tonight. I am pretty scared!
There's a game tonight? You have a more optimistic interpretation of what is going to happen than I do.

It's also possible that the Titans either don't suck as much so we all thought or that the Texans are barely shoobing by.

Maybe the Steelers won't get crushed tonight...

Joe Philbin was on Sirius for a really long interview. Really good segment. Guy is smart. I miss him.
Hmm, anywhere you know of online where I can listen?

You saying that reminds me of this bit I read earlier:

Joe Philbin is a planner. He's a professor. He's logical. He's not big on emotion. Basically, he's a vulcan without the pointed ears.

He definitely showed the media no self-satisfaction in beating the Indianapolis Colts, 24-20, on the road on Sunday despite it being perhaps his best victory as a Dolphins coach. Indeed, near the end of an emotionless press conference, I asked him if he was even happy he won.

"Absolutely, yeah" he said looking away, "real proud of the guys. Can't you tell?"

His wife, standing off to the side watching the presser, was among those who laughed.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...lbin-we-got-a-helleva-team-in-the-making.html

brentech

I'm think largely done with Packers gif highlights now. I haven't actually re-watched the game in full yet though.

If you know a moment from other games you want a gif of, PM me with the game and when/what happened that you want. I plan to do some of the major highlights of the week one way or another.

So apparently one of the Cardinals offensive linemen took a dive at Suh's knees after a play was over? Good for him. Guy is a hero.

Really? I don't remember seeing anything like that. We did however, have some wonky play where our backup OT was supposed to get a receiving TD... So weird but Detroit stopped us from the hilarity that would have ensued.

This might sound weird but I feel exhilarated about the game. Haven't been scared of the Bengals since 2005. It's nice to not take a game for granted for once.

eznark

Banned
Not even close. The onside kick was so ridiculous. They gave the ball to a team that no official on the field ever saw had possession of the ball. OU had to vacate all the wins that year so eh, but I guess it's a right of passage for all CFB fans to have their Pac 10 refs' cherry popped

When the Badgers got fucked in the hockey National Championship game in 1992 Jason Zent (who also won Most Outstanding Player in the tournament) attacked the head ref. Shot a puck at his face and then attempted to beat the shit out of him. He had to be restrained. This led to a brawl straight out of Slap Shot and included the stands. Badger fans nearly burned down the arena and to this day I know people who will break shit at the mention of Lake Superior State (there goes my keyboard). The entire season was wiped by the NCAA and the Badgers were not recognized to have played in that title game. Hockey East officials fear Wisconsin and for good reason.

Stave should have killed that man. Badger fans are getting soft as fuck. Badger hockey fans are known to have accosted the Shepherd family (three of whom are long time WCHA officials) and it may have been my uncle for broke Papa Shepherd's nose and knocked out his teeth after a terrible ref assisted loss to the Gophers.

Nut up Wisconsin. Go beat hell out of the closest ASU fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom