• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 2 |OT| - Manning Bowl III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

smdh

Bowser, you gotta stop doing this to yourself man.

Cam-Newton.gif

I can't decide who to pull for tonight so I think I'll just watch the game and try my best to focus all my energy into being happy about whoever loses.

Is this for real? Obviously you want the Pats to lose. Jets are a 4 win team at best, we all need the Pats to lose as many games as possible.

I could see Williams getting a bunch of snaps and sitting on Julius Thomas. Thomas would eat Dan Connor alive as he isn't much faster than Herzlich. The problem with Williams is that he likes to gamble for the ball too often and ends up eating turf while the tight end streaks up the seam or in the case of a running back he's covering - up the sideline. Considering he's our fastest LB though, it would be damned suicide to put Herzlich on Julius Thomas. The other option is you put a CB/Safety on the field in place of a linebacker as Perry is want to do. I could see T2 being that guy but then you've got to account for Welker in the slot, too. Not to mention the other Thomas on the outside and Decker on the other side as well.

Pick your poison.
Jacquan is fine. I'm trying to find a breakdown of Ryan Mundy's work, no luck so far. I was very surprised by his play also.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Why is it that when Cam got sad it was poor leadership but when Pryor was sobbing big, sloppy tears it was "a good sign of his leadership abilities."

Is this for real? Obviously you want the Pats to lose. Jets are a 4 win team at best, we all need the Pats to lose as many games as possible.
The problem is I cannot pull for the Jets in any context. That said, I also really want/need the Pats to lose for the reason you mentioned. That's why I'm not going to worry about my motivations and just take the opportunity to be happy about the losing team losing.

Bowser

Why is it that when Cam got sad it was poor leadership but when Pryor was sobbing big, sloppy tears it was "a good sign of his leadership abilities."

Media loves to tear guys down. When Cam was distraught over his first career game (Cardinals game in 2011), everyone praised him as someone that truly cares about the game, blah blah blah:

8. Cam Newton's arm, and his attitude, made him a winner in a loss.
"Cam's very disappointed,'' wide receiver Steve Smith said after the Panthers couldn't finish a last-gasp drive and lost to Arizona, 28-21. He shouldn't be, but of course, that's a good sign; the guy's a competitor.

So many wondered if the Panthers were rushing Newton into action too soon, to justify being picked first overall last April. But his 422-yard performance showed that was wrong, as did the words coming out of the Panther locker room. He made the right reads and didn't take off to run at the first sign of pressure. He showed how, in trouble, he could make plays with his arm -- not just his legs.

Maybe being an itinerant has helped Newton. Over the past four falls, he has backed up Tim Tebow at Florida, starred at Blinn (junior) College, taken Auburn to a national championship, and now taken over the Panthers. He's used to change. He's used to adapting, and taking a new team over. Look for offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski to add more plays to the repertoire week by week. Should be an interesting matchup this week. The Super Bowl champs come to Charlotte for the home opener, and Newton's performance gives Panther fans reason to think it might actually be a contest.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/09/11/week.1/index.html#ixzz2eiEelFgp

Now these same people say Cam has a bad attitude lol.

Spinluck

But like the aliens, I am a big Luck fan

808201080s3beg.png

Lord Luck. Our hero, our shining light, a beacon of hope for us all.

May he deliver us 4 Superbowls.

Hey man, what are your thoughts heading into the game against the Phins? Always nice to hear some opinions from the other side. I'll write some stuff up soon but I'm too busy at the moment.

I am not too high on us at the moment. We still have a ton of problems lingering from last year. The game last year came down to a couple of plays, and could have easily went either way. Especially the Phins D bailing Luck out with I think 2 dropped INTs. Our reason for success last week really goes to Luck and the running game, which was actually pretty consistent wk 1. It was nothing amazing though, just enough to move the chains. Gave the offense some pretty opportunities, and a bit of confidence in play calling.

The Phins D looked pretty good up against the run last week, and really rattled Weeden. I know it's the Browns offense and all, but our O-line didn't look any better the 2nd half of last week. I think the you guys will keep it close, and I honestly can't call this one. The Phins D looks better, I'm not to sure about your offense, but I know for sure they can contest or best our D. Think it comes down to a FG or turnover just like our last game.

The problem is I cannot pull for the Jets in any context. That said, I also really want/need the Pats to lose for the reason you mentioned. That's why I'm not going to worry about my motivations and just take the opportunity to be happy about the losing team losing.

It's pretty win-win today, made even better if we win Sunday.

Spinluck

Jacksonville sucks worse at football than Gata's mom does at wrestling Adam Sandler in Happy Gilmore
Titans are mediocre at best
Texans are who we thought they were
Colts are gonna win 8 games

Both divisions suck equally IMO.

The Jax are our weakest link, but we had two teams in the POs last year, and we got knocked out by the Superbowl Champs just like you chumps did. Not saying we're better, just lol'ing at Gatas hyperbole, even if he is kidding.

gutshot

So my 3 picks in my huge money Survival League are currently Denver, Atlanta, and Cinci. Thoughts? Any doubts about those teams winning?

As a general rule, I tend to avoid road favorites and divisional matchups in Survivor leagues. Too much of a chance for upsets.

Spinluck

Repost for Red

Hey man, what are your thoughts heading into the game against the Phins? Always nice to hear some opinions from the other side. I'll write some stuff up soon but I'm too busy at the moment.

I am not too high on us at the moment. We still have a ton of problems lingering from last year. The game last year came down to a couple of plays, and could have easily went either way. Especially the Phins D bailing Luck out with I think 2 dropped INTs. Our reason for success last week really goes to Luck and the running game, which was actually pretty consistent last week. It was nothing amazing though, just enough to move the chains. Gave the offense some pretty opportunities, and a bit of confidence in play calling.

The Phins D looked pretty good up against the run last week, and really rattled Weeden. I know it's the Browns offense and all, but our O-line didn't look any better the 2nd half of last week. I think the you guys will keep it close, and I honestly can't call
this one. The Phins D looks better, I'm not to sure about your offense, but I know for sure they can contest or best our D. Think it comes down to a drive just like our last game.

As a general rule, I tend to avoid road favorites and divisional matchups in Survivor leagues. Too much of a chance for upsets.

Agree with the division stance, pretty much the only reason I felt nervous enough to ask on here. I'm pretty confident with the Broncos though. Part of me likes to avoid the obvious choices because if a fluke happens, tons of people get eliminated while I survive but there just aren't a lot of teams to feel confident about after the way the first week went. Packers would probably be a fairly safe bet.

Bowser

So my 3 picks in my huge money Survival League are currently Denver, Atlanta, and Cinci. Thoughts? Any doubts about those teams winning?

You're not taking Oakland at home over Jacksonville? I think that one's a lock, more so than Denver @ NYG or a Cincy divisional game against the Steelers...

Repost for Red

I am not too high on us at the moment. We still have a ton of problems lingering from last year. The game last year came down to a couple of plays, and could have easily went either way. Especially the Phins D bailing Luck out with I think 2 dropped INTs. Our reason for success last week really goes to Luck and the running game, which was actually pretty consistent last week. It was nothing amazing though, just enough to move the chains. Gave the offense some pretty opportunities, and a bit of confidence in play calling.

The Phins D looked pretty good up against the run last week, and really rattled Weeden. I know it's the Browns offense and all, but our O-line didn't look any better the 2nd half of last week. I think the you guys will keep it close, and I honestly can't call
this one. The Phins D looks better, I'm not to sure about your offense, but I know for sure they can contest or best our D. Think it comes down to a drive just like our last game.

I want to say TY had a big game against the Phins last time, think he'll get more looks this week? Or Deyward Bey still going to steal those targets?

You're not taking Oakland at home over Jacksonville? I think that one's a lock, more so than Denver @ NYG or a Cincy divisional game against the Steelers...
I'd like to but it never feels good to count on a bad team ala Bucs over Jets. I def would choose that if playing by the typical rule of only picking each team once for the season, but in this league, we can pick whoever as much as we want. Alas, Niners and Chickens play each other. Well, alas for Survival but obviously one of the more interesting match ups possible this year. Does anyone believe the Giants will get their shit together this quick? Enough to overcome Denver who looks like they are ready for the season. Giants were shit through the whole pre-season and it continued into the first week of the reg. Think it will take them a bit more time. While I'm confident with Cinci, I think I might change it just because of the division match up. Probably go with Packers though I SHOULD be able to choose the Saints with confidence.

Oak is far from a lcok. Henne is starting not Gabbert so there is now way to know how the Jags offense would look.

Spinluck

I want to say TY had a big game against the Phins last time, think he'll get more looks this week? Or Deyward Bey still going to steal those targets?

I think they'll both get shots. TY was covered by like 3 guys in what I think was a seam route last week and Luck still tried to hit him lol.

DHB will get his, but with Arians gone you'll see more of a focus on efficiency as opposed to big plays. But I'm sure they may occasionally draw something up to try the Safeties. Not sure what the plan of attack is, you guys still have problems with TEs?

What other week would you choose Oakland though?

3 of their last 4 are against the Jets, Chargers, and Broncos. Jets and Chargers are both bad teams and their seasons should be long over by then, and the last week Denver will have the #1 seed locked up and will be resting everyone. I would hold off on using a bad team like the Raiders until I had to, plus Pryor might develop and get better as the year goes on.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Any thoughts I've missed so far on the 49ers and 'Hawks? As a big 49er fan who thinks they are the superior team overall and who should finish with a better record and go further in the playoffs, I don' t think they win in Seattle this weekend.

Seattle in Seattle is their kryptonite because I don't think Harbaugh will change his offense to work in that noise. Even at home there is drama in every offensive play just to see if they can beat the play clock (the anti-Eagles?) and it is usually close and requires a time out or two to be taken on offense. Harbaugh just has too damn many calls being made at the line of scrimmage to work at all if the QB can't be heard. They could compete if they just call the play in the huddle and make no modifications after that but I just don't see them doing that. Combine that with a running game that was MIA last week and I just can't see the 49ers winning this weekend. Other, inferior offenses honestly would do significantly better up there.

If they do manage to win then they are even better than I thought. If they don't, that is somewhat predictable and doesn't mean all that much (unless they have to play the 'Hawks up there in the playoffs...yikes!).

Dukey

Banned
Can't watch the game tonight, have to get up early for an important class and watching the game would mean pretty much no sleep. Hope the game plays out like the last time I couldn't watch the Jets game, but I'm not counting on it. Gonna be a close one, hopefully a good one.

Go Pats.

Fuck the Jets.

I second this. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Jacquan is fine. I'm trying to find a breakdown of Ryan Mundy's work, no luck so far. I was very surprised by his play also.
He played well. We had Rolle shading Bryant and when he wasn't he was playing the deep safety spot with Mundy moving around depending on the play call. He played close to the line or moved back for pass support but considering some of the less than desirable comments from Steelers-Gaf about him, he performed nicely.

Also..

Patricia Traina @Patricia_Traina 37s

Dan Connor to IR. Wow!

OUCH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom