• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 2 |OT| - Manning Bowl III

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
How bad do the Steelers have to be before we can get bionic to put this on again?

fpAeH.png

If they get much worse, I'm going to let hito give me an avatar.

? It can multitask. That's one of the big iOS 7 bullet points and, frankly, the thing I'm most excited about with third party apps.

The TouchID thing is pretty awesome. Can't wait 'til that's standard.
:lol, improved iOS task switching isn't multitasking. Apple can redefine a term to mean what they want it to, but that doesn't address the ability to run two arbitrary applications at the same time.

I can't speak to any of the other features, just the hilarity of hyping up 64bit (when the only real benefit of that is support for more ram) in a device that can't multitask and thus will struggle to make good use of that ram.

BigAT

Hard to ignore 100k regardless of how much you make but suspension has to be on the table for the next (inevitable) infraction.

Yeah, to me the $100K fine is important not because of the amount of money lost by Suh, but because it is the NFL very clearly saying "this is the last amount before we suspend you".

Talon

:lol, improved iOS task switching isn't multitasking. Apple can redefine a term to mean what they want it to, but that doesn't address the ability to run two arbitrary applications at the same time.

I can't speak to any of the other features, just the hilarity of hyping up 64bit (when the only real benefit of that is support for more ram) in a device that can't multitask and thus will struggle to make good use of that ram.
Oh, you mean like two window multitasking. I don't see the point in that on such a small screen. You want to maximize usability of what you're currently using.

The multitasking will better help active notifications at the system level, which is what I really care about. It feels really dated when I have to wait half a beat for Twitter to refresh on iOS instead of it being updated to the latest before I even get there.

I am still so pissed at the freaking Bucs. Worthless excuse of an organization. I actually got more emotional over that boneheaded personal foul call that gave the Jets the game than the Dolphins actually winning.

SCREW YOU TAMPA BAY! YOU HAD ONE JOB!

rando14

I am still so pissed at the freaking Bucs. Worthless excuse of an organization. I actually got more emotional over that boneheaded personal foul call that gave the Jets the game than the Dolphins actually winning.

thanks to the bucs I had my shortest stint in Survivor ever :mad:

squicken

Got a chance to catch the Browns game

-CLE WRs are bad. Just don't get immediate separation which kills the timing throws

-Except for Cameron, who is a matchup nightmare. I imagine Weeden will start forcing him the ball

-OL issues are there but are a bit overstated. They just couldn't block Wake

-No one in the NFL besides the Eagles and Pats can run the ball so it's hard to know about the run blocking

-All that said, Weeden isn't good. Lots of blame went to the WRs for tipped INTs, but those were on errant passes. Behind and always too high. These aren't hitting guys in the numbers and then dropped. They are passes that are poorly thrown that the WR tipped. If he was a 24 yr old in his second offensive system, you could tolerate it. He is better than Gabbert by miles. But how much time do you want to spend developing a 30 year old QB? I guess the choice now is whether he or JCamp give them a better chance to win on Sundays, and watching Campbell last year, it still is probably Weeden

Spades

Man I'm behind on these threads - too busy doing nothing in Spain to post.

Dolphins bros, what did you think of our performance on Sunday?

Colasante

Notable veterans still on the free agent market: RB Willis McGahee, RB Beanie Wells, WR Brandon Lloyd, WR Laurent Robinson, DE Mark Anderson, DT Richard Seymour, FS Kerry Rhodes

Now that salaries are no longer guaranteed for vested veterans, it will be interested to see how many get picked up. I'm kind of shocked that Rhodes hasn't had any interest. I hope it isn't for the reason I suspect.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Can't wait to see your reaction after the Jets win this week!

Oh, you mean like two window multitasking. I don't see the point in that on such a small screen. You want to maximize usability of what you're currently using.

The multitasking will better help active notifications at the system level, which is what I really care about. It feels really dated when I have to wait half a beat for Twitter to refresh on iOS instead of it being updated to the latest before I even get there.
It looks like they're adding background functions that get called periodically, which is still not proper multitasking, though it will be a noticeable improvement. It will also (still) not require 8 gb of memory to run.

Multiple windows is the simplest way to imagine it, but proper multitasking would also include "go do this thing in the background and be done when I come back"

BigAT

Notable veterans still on the free agent market: RB Willis McGahee, RB Beanie Wells, WR Brandon Lloyd, WR Laurent Robinson, DE Mark Anderson, DT Richard Seymour, FS Kerry Rhodes

Now that salaries are no longer guaranteed for vested veterans, it will be interested to see how many get picked up. I'm kind of shocked that Rhodes hasn't had any interest. I hope it isn't for the reason I suspect.

Because he belongs to a filthy, godless group of people?
Former Jets.

Talon

It looks like they're adding background functions that get called periodically, which is still not proper multitasking, though it will be a noticeable improvement. It will also (still) not require 8 gb of memory to run.

Multiple windows is the simplest way to imagine it, but proper multitasking would also include "go do this thing in the background and be done when I come back"
So I guess two points.

One, even 6 sort of does this. Case in point, if you're Syncing Rdio up, it'll continue doing it even after you leave the application.

Two, 7 extends those features. Devs have been saying that the featureset is more robust than they even thought and seems more of future-proofing.

I think there's a medium of sorts where it will need to be limited due to hardware limitations and battery life, so we won't ever see full-blown multi-tasking, obviously. Apple is operating some control measures where it's supposed to "learn" your behaviors and orient the operations like so. Even OS X is actually closing down hidden windows to save on battery life.

-CLE WRs are bad. Just don't get immediate separation which kills the timing throws
Agreed. Bess was alright, though.

-Except for Cameron, who is a matchup nightmare. I imagine Weeden will start forcing him the ball
Yep. When Wheeler was covering him there were issues, but Ellerbee held his own surprisingly well. Cameron is great.

We must have watched a different game, haha. 4 different Dolphins had sacks and Weeden was hit 16 times. SIXTEEN. The next closest is Gabbart at 9. 6 of the hits were from Wake so even without him Weeden was hit more than any other QB this week. Throw in Trent's measly 47 yards (most of which came on a few nice runs early) and you have the story of a pretty bad o-line and a pretty solid d-line.

-No one in the NFL besides the Eagles and Pats can run the ball so it's hard to know about the run blocking
Yeah, I guess this is a valid point.

-All that said, Weeden isn't good. Lots of blame went to the WRs for tipped INTs, but those were on errant passes. Behind and always too high. These aren't hitting guys in the numbers and then dropped. They are passes that are poorly thrown that the WR tipped. If he was a 24 yr old in his second offensive system, you could tolerate it. He is better than Gabbert by miles. But how much time do you want to spend developing a 30 year old QB? I guess the choice now is whether he or JCamp give them a better chance to win on Sundays, and watching Campbell last year, it still is probably Weeden
Lots of blame should go to the WR's on those INT's! I'll agree that they were also Weeden's fault to some degree but those balls should have been caught, end of story. I'd say it's 70/30 WR's/Weeden. On top of that, they were some pretty nice picks that easily could have been incompletions. Every QB has some of those on occasion.

I partially agree with the rest of what you said, but I think it's a little unfair to Weeden still considering how much of a beating he took behind a bad o-line performance and the fact that he was missing Gordon. I think he deserves a few more weeks at the very least. There is no way Campbell would have done any better than Weeden in that game with those odds against him. Weeden is starting to look like he isn't the answer for the Browns though, I won't dispute that.

Suh could have very easily ended Sullivan's career. That's nothing to play with.

I'm honestly shocked an O-Line has targeted him by now; maybe a guard holding him and a tackle going for his legs.

squicken

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/clutch-encounters/2013/clutch-encounters-week-1

Football Outsiders' look at 4th Quarter Comebacks and Game Winning Drives. This was the teaser

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar
Mike McCarthy is 1-14 when the Packers record 0 takeaways, like they did Sunday
Most of the teams which have struggled to win games with late scoring drives over the last few years lost again on Sunday. That would include Green Bay, which is now 9-25 (.265) at game-winning drive opportunities under Aaron Rodgers. The Panthers blew their ninth fourth-quarter lead of the Cam Newton/Ron Rivera era. Cleveland is 4-16 (.200) at game-winning drive opportunities since 2011. Remember when Josh Freeman led all those comebacks against bad teams in 2010? Tampa Bay is 3-11 (.214) ever since.

I wonder if they will ever move on from close games being random and earmarked for regression candidates? At least w/ Carolina, it isn't random. They'll naturally regress to the mean when the shitty coach is gone

brentech

I wonder if they will ever move on from close games being random and earmarked for regression candidates? At least w/ Carolina, it isn't random. They'll naturally regress to the mean when the shitty coach is gone

Rodgers is the anti-closer. Though, I also don't know what if he had took the lead and the defense closed it out if that would have counted?
He seems to score, and then defense gives up with not a whole lot of time left to work with quite often. But he really is un-clutch in those moments. Always seems to find a sack.

Jeff-DSA

Man I'm behind on these threads - too busy doing nothing in Spain to post.

Dolphins bros, what did you think of our performance on Sunday?

It was the very definition of "good enough" if you ask me. I was happy that the passing game looked solid, but we'll go nowhere if the rush attack is that weak. I liked the pressure and the improved play in the secondary, but we'll see how it holds up against Indy, who has a better QB and receivers.

Spades

It was the very definition of "good enough" if you ask me. I was happy that the passing game looked solid, but we'll go nowhere if the rush attack is that weak. I liked the pressure and the improved play in the secondary, but we'll see how it holds up against Indy, who has a better QB and receivers.

D looked great. Tannehill looked good. I can't figure out if Miller and Thomas are that bad or if our OL can't run block for shit.

bionic77

How bad do the Steelers have to be before we can get bionic to put this on again?

fpAeH.png
We can get worse? That is news to me!

Man you guys are pretty anti-Apple.

I switched entirely to Apple laptops in like 2005 or 06 whenever they switched to Intel and nothing I have used from Windows compares. I am probably going to switch back to a Win7 PC next year whenever we find a new house. I think I like Windows better for the desktop.

And I have been using iPhones since the 3G. Though I don't think I would have a problem switching to Android. Hate the giant screens though. I want my portables to actually be portable and of course it has to fit in my slim fit pants!

Patricia Traina @Patricia_Traina 57m

Hearing the same. RT @ConorTOrr: Hearing that Jacobs' workout went well, so stay tuned. #nyg

Just waiting for the signing to happen. Wellie is no doubt furiously fapping :D.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I prefer using OSX because it's the only sane and competent UNIX desktop. Apple happens to be the one to make it happen.

effzee

Ehhh, a buddy of mine is a Cowboys fan, and I'd always root against them for spite. Plus it's always fun to see "America's Team" sputter in mediocrity, much like the Maple Leafs here in Canada. A slight bit of schadenfruede there :p

So you don't like the Giants or Cowboys?

Eagles are the clear choice for you.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Chip Kelly says offense was too slow on Monday night:

If NFL defensive coordinators were getting concerned as they saw new Eagles coach Chip Kelly’s fast-paced offense rack up 322 yards and 21 first downs on 53 plays in the first half on Monday night, Kelly has some bad news for them.

“I felt like it was slow,” Kelly said Tuesday.

The Eagles’ offense in the first half was about as fast-paced as anyone has ever seen in the NFL. Surely, Kelly must be joking when he says it was too slow, right?

“I’m not joking,” Kelly said. “We need to do a better job. We left the ball on the ground too much. We didn’t get the ball to the officials. We could have sped things up from a process in between plays. That’s something we need to work on.”

If Kelly’s offense can move the ball down the field even faster than it did in the first half of Monday night’s game, that’s scary for opposing defenses. But it’s also a big “if.” As tiring as it is for opposing defenses to contend with an offense that moves the ball that quickly, it’s also tiring for the players on the Eagles’ offense. And if Michael Vick gets hit every game as much as he got hit on Monday night, he may not last 16 weeks.

So it’s no sure thing that Kelly’s offense is going to take the NFL by storm. But it sure will be fun to watch him try.

RIP Vick.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm prepared to lose next week...

I am prepared to win next week, we can be friends!

The right side of our line got absolutely dominated. We had a 2nd year RT going up against Wake and when that wasn't happening we then had our backup to the backup RG going up against Wake.

I don't think you'll find anyone in here who actually believes Weeden is the guy here. We all know he's on borrowed time. The only difference was how long we thought he'd last. Myself and Gondo for instance felt he'd be good enough to finish off his contract then get booted, while in that time we could slowly build up the next great QB.

BG hates old people so he wants him out now to bring in the younger and sexier JCamp. Weeden being so bad has clouded his memory of how terrible JCamp is. We forgive him though because like us he understands Weeden isn't here forever.

But yeah as said above let's see if things change a bit when Josh Gordon returns in game 3. It was hard to believe but it seems he is propping up the entire WR corp in Cleveland. If Weeden can get going with him plus Cameron continues to develop it may open up things a lot more for guys like Davone Bess and Greg Little.

Cagey

Banned
Just waiting for the signing to happen. Wellie is no doubt furiously fapping :D.

I have a Brandon Jacobs signed game used pylon + jersey + rookie card in my living room that he gave my dad. I think he somehow convinced the big man that his son -- "a huge fan of yours, wears your jersey to the games" -- was a 7 year old at the time this happend, not a 22 year old.

I'm so fucking down for this from a little kid hero worship standpoint.

cajunator

Banned
Rodgers is the anti-closer. Though, I also don't know what if he had took the lead and the defense closed it out if that would have counted?
He seems to score, and then defense gives up with not a whole lot of time left to work with quite often. But he really is un-clutch in those moments. Always seems to find a sack.

Brees has this same problem where he will drive down in the 4th quarter and get a score then the defense cant hold on for the last minute or so. It happens so often its sickening.
Part of this can be blamed on a QB but a lot of it is a defense cracking at the worst possible moment. Several playoff games come to mind..

effzee

Last nights Eagles game was the highest rated game in ESPN's MNF history.

a. NFC East teams especially in divisional games draw huge ratings. All 4 big cities big media markets.

b. RG3 return hype. Chip/Vick hype.

c. Earlier start time might have helped.

d. The game turned out to be fun (not for me I had 2-3 heart attacks) but I am sure for non fans of the teams it played out well. Was close near the end with some amazing plays and LOLZ.

rando14

I am prepared to win next week, we can be friends!

The right side of our line got absolutely dominated. We had a 2nd year RT going up against Wake and when that wasn't happening we then had our backup to the backup RG going up against Wake.

I don't think you'll find anyone in here who actually believes Weeden is the guy here. We all know he's on borrowed time. The only difference was how long we thought he'd last. Myself and Gondo for instance felt he'd be good enough to finish off his contract then get booted, while in that time we could slowly build up the next great QB.

BG hates old people so he wants him out now to bring in the younger and sexier JCamp. Weeden being so bad has clouded his memory of how terrible JCamp is. We forgive him though because like us he understands Weeden isn't here forever.

But yeah as said above let's see if things change a bit when Josh Gordon returns in game 3. It was hard to believe but it seems he is propping up the entire WR corp in Cleveland. If Weeden can get going with him plus Cameron continues to develop it may open up things a lot more for guys like Davone Bess and Greg Little.

Kave buddy do you think Cameron is going to have a good year at TE1 in fantasy? I thought he had some groin injuries or something along those lines but obviously he had a great week, was wondering what you think about him for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom