• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 3 |OT| - We're Up All Night To Get Gronky

Status
Not open for further replies.
posting because its tradition and all i know
browns-jersey.jpg

Isn't Burke and AS huge QBR proponents? I've never seen a TV broadcast use anything but passer rating, even ESPN uses both.
Not really. He does like it more than the traditional QB rating, though:
http://www.advancednflstats.com/2011/08/espns-new-qb-stat.html
QBR is a mix of other measures. At its core, it basically combines EPA, WPA, and Air Yards. Suppose quarterback Farley and quarterback Andrews both have a QBR of 60. Say Farley got his 60 because of very high EPA but low WPA in high leverage situations (like Philip Rivers last year), and Andrews got his 60 QBR with lower EPA but high WPA in high leverage situations (like Matt Ryan last year).

I'd prefer to look at a line of various stats--such as EPA / WPA / AY / Success Rate (SR). In the example above the two QBs' season stats might look like this:

Farley +100 EPA / +1.2 WPA / 5.5 AY / 50.1% SR
Andrews +85 EPA / +3.2 WPA / 4.2 AY / 45.1% SR

This is far richer information. We can see who was more consistent, who was more productive overall, who relied on his receivers' YAC, and who was luckier (or 'clutch' if you prefer). We can get an idea of who is more likely to repeat his above average performance into the near future. A single number can't tell us anything like that. This is not an indictment of QBR, just my own preference.

If I were to settle on a single number, it would be WPA/LI, as Tom Tango has suggested. One day I'll get around to settling on a good definition of how to define typical football 'successes' and 'failures' in terms of a swing in WPA. It's worth several posts and a healthy discussion with the community. Until then, my LI stat is just a work in progress.

Ultimately, I think QBR is interesting and is a thousand times better than the traditional passer rating. But it's not very useful outside of ranking QBs from top to bottom. It might be fun fodder for discussion on TV or Internet message boards, but it's hard to see how it's useful beyond that.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 10s
Filed to ESPN: Browns RB Trent Richardson to Indy for Colts' first-round pick.

Wow

belushy

Banned
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 10s
Filed to ESPN: Browns RB Trent Richardson to Indy for Colts' first-round pick.

Wow

Yep, just saw this. What the heck lol

Wonder if the Browns are gonna try and trade up for Bridgewater or something.

ChanHuk

Banned
So the Browns are gonna go into complete rebuild mode again? They just traded away their most talented player on offense.

I coulda seen Irsay trading for oft injured McFadden.

Poor Kave, he's probably one sad sad pussy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom