• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 3 |OT| - We're Up All Night To Get Gronky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleTap

I think it looks like he hits him with the top of the helmet and then lifts his head up.

Looks to me like he hit him with his left shoulder. The cam angle will naturally make it seem like he buried his head into his chest. The fact that his head came up right away tells me he didn't use it to hit him.

MechDX

I think watching guys like RGIII (when he is healthy), or Kap play QB is incredibly exciting. I hope it never goes away.

2013-03-10-27.gif

Read Option isn't going to be a prominent thing. Remember how long the Wildcat lasted?

The Wildcat was super gimmicky though, and everyone knew it was gimmicky. Any formation where you line up Chad Pennington as a WR is sure to fail.

Read-Option is having its heyday now, and defenses will adjust, but I don't think it's a gimmick, not when a smart and mobile QB is using it.

God forbid we have a little variety on offense in the pro game!

I don't mind seeing it here and there, I think it's more of a situational thing. I love offensive ingenuity, and it's cool to see these things come and go, I'm not saying it'll disappear entirely, but I think we'll see it less and less, but it'll still be used once in a while to keep defenses guessing.

cdyhybrid

I personally disagree. Well I liked Kap Week 1 this season, but read option? It comes off a bit amateur. Just my personal take.

Well, considering American football originated with amateur players (colleges), and those same amateurs introduced the forward pass...

Edit: Oh, and don't forget that the huddle and the pre-snap shift also originated in college. I guess we should have just ignored those too ;)

The Wildcat was super gimmicky though, and everyone knew it was gimmicky. Any formation where you line up Chad Pennington as a WR is sure to fail.

Read-Option is having its heyday now, and defenses will adjust, but I don't think it's a gimmick, not when a smart and mobile QB is using it.

I think it's less about the QB and more about his options, the Read option only really works when the run, the pass and the mobility of the QB are all legitimate threats.

Lunchbox

Banned
Pats fans? Honestly though why dont you go and work on your next lie to make your self feel better about your horrible life rather then try to talk shit to people.
my team is 2-0
I live in the most developed part of this country
I don't live in Pennsylvania
I'm posting from ios7
my QB isn't a read option dog killer

life's pretty good

He has a point. Even Harbaugh abandons it when he wants to win.

What point, that people who like to see some variety in football are fans of teams that have never won SB's? That is stupid even for him. I am sure there are plenty of Eagles fans that dont like the read option, just like there are probably tons of 9ers fans that do like it. It literally has 0 to do with how successful the team you root for has been.

MechDX

Aw, Mech is jealous. Schoob stuck being a Schoob.

If I want to watch dumb ass QB's who cant run a pro style offense I'll look to watch some Pac 10 games. Oh wait fuck it! Lets just run some veer offense while were at it! Or better yet bring back the fucking wish bone!!

To go forward we must go backwards!

I would rather watch Manning, Brady, Schaub, Cutler, Brees, etc...than any of that gimmick nonsense

also a nice hold on that play by #68 vs. bowman. i know they don't call offensive holding anymore in the NFL and i'm generally fine with it as long as they let both teams get away with it. they called a ticky tack hold on us for the safety and then the chickens get away with massive holds. aldon smith should've probably had 5 sacks in that game. oh well

squicken

19th starting Qbs since the return, looks like 21 might be the magic number. And I'm glad Little got benched I can only give a guy so many chances, and speaking of chances my love for Trent truck is fading sadly. Hasn't been very impressive through these first two games, and Like Gondo said he's been coming out on 3rd downs with just makes me shake my goddamn mutherfucking Head. I hope Trent can bring back some of the hope this weekend! I expected our offense to be underwhelming because of the Qb spot, but I'm alarmed to find out how bad it really looks all around on our O.

Lastly
#TeamHoyer

NO! I can't bear to see you like this.

my team is 2-0
I live in the most developed part of this country
I don't live in Pennsylvania
I'm posting from ios7
my QB isn't a read option dog killer

life's pretty good

You bragged about spending $35 on a meal, so no life isnt good for you at all. I also dont live in PA so not sure what that has to do with anything. Plus how is Michigan any better then PA? Your team beat 2 rookie QBs, and who gives a fuck anyways your where talking about successful franchises, if 2-0 is your definition then you have set a very low bar. Pats and Eagles have the same number of SBs in their histories.

Holding. The final gasp for the defeated.

:(

i don't complain about penalties unless the refs are only calling it on one side. we did get a couple holding calls against the chickens where their guard tackled justin smith so i guess it wasn't completely ignored. didn't feel like the game was fairly officiated. you can call it sour grapes from losing but i didn't feel that the game against the packers was fairly officiated for us either and i'm an unbiased party

You bragged about spending $35 on a meal, so no life isnt good for you at all. I also dont live in PA so not sure what that has to do with anything. Plus how is Michigan any better then PA? Your team beat 2 rookie QBs, and who gives a fuck anyways your where talking about successful franchises, if 2-0 is your definition then you have set a very low bar. Pats and Eagles have the same number of SBs in their histories.

NFL age heating up

cdyhybrid

If I want to watch dumb ass QB's who cant run a pro style offense I'll look to watch some Pac 10 games. Oh wait fuck it! Lets just run some veer offense while were at it! Or better yet bring back the fucking wish bone!!

To go forward we must go backwards!

I would rather watch Manning, Brady, Schaub, Cutler, Brees, etc...than of that gimmick nonsense

Yeah, these guys, total scrubs! They only did well in college running gimmick offenses in the no-defense Pac-12!

HGpFkUf.jpg

KfnkOo7.jpg

aiHkGMU.jpg

3XnpVsp.jpg

lPVXSGr.jpg

WYoHvDC.jpg

brentech

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...on-to-race-garcon-still-has-issue-with-brace/

A day after Washington receiver Pierre Garcon said quarterback Robert Griffin III isn’t as fast as last year because he’s wearing a knee brace now, Griffin responded by saying he’ll race Garcon to show just how fast he is.

But Garcon isn’t backing down, reiterating today that he thinks the brace is holding Griffin back.

“There’s no knee issue,” Griffin said. “I love my receiver. If he wants to race, then we can race.”

Garcon, however, says it’s obvious that you can’t run as fast with a knee brace as you can without a knee brace.

“It’s just like when you have extra equipment on,” Garcon said. “You definitely can’t move as fluid and as fast as you could if you didn’t have it on. It’s common sense, really. If you carry extra stuff on you, you’re not gonna be as fast as you were without it.”

RG3 really grasping for a win of any sorts now.

squicken

I know ESPN likes to tout it's QBR bullshit but Tannehill has played better this season and has shown a lot of growth compared to last year, he's showed steady growth since late last season, unlike with Henne where it was just of the same up and down play with each drive.

Wallace showed he's more than a one trick pony and I'm glad Philbin had the confidence in him, http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000246501/article/mike-wallaces-role-expands-after-talk-with-joe-philbin

We don't win that game without Wallace

Advanced stats hate sacks. QBR and Football Outsiders ding QBs for it. PFR uses Adjusted Yards per Attempt and includes sacks as dropbacks and lost yardage subtracts from passing yards. Not saying it's right but that's where those guys fall on the argument

What I feel like doing whenever others are having conversations about their Franchises

I know they're not referring to the Oakland Raiders, but it's still funny and I can pretend.

Talon

CDY, does it pain you to have to stan Cal and Furd QBs?

You'll probably have to start stanning an Oregon QB next year. Quack Quack.

MechDX

Yeah, these guys, total scrubs! They only did well in college running gimmick offenses in the no-defense Pac-12!
[/IMG]

Insert Big 12, WAC, ACC whatever....I just used the first conference that came to mind. Sorry if I offended your west coast sensibilities.

Lunchbox

Banned

it was 537$
my team doesn't lose to Philip rivers
you support a team where you don't even live, you're basically gata with a lakers hat and a Yankees shirt
you went to 2 Super Bowls and lost 2, 3>0
my QB still isn't a read option dog killer

cdyhybrid

CDY, does it pain you to have to stan Cal and Furd QBs?

You'll probably have to start stanning an Oregon QB next year. Quack Quack.

Well, when the argument is that something coming from college is bad, and the game itself and basically every development since its invention in the late 1800s came to the pros from college...

Oh nice edit :p

No it doesn't pain me at all. Cal is Cal, and I have no animosity towards Stanford. I'm already a fan of Mariota because he went to my high school, if that's what you're referring to. He just made a really poor college choice - we're all human, we all make mistakes.

I can throw Chris Chandler in there too if you're angry that I didn't include the greatest QB in Falcons history.

Talon

it was 537$
you support a team where you don't even live, you're basically gata with a lakers hat and a Yankees shirt
Pot, meet Kettle.

brentech

it was 537$
If I ate a meal where someone just took a dump on my pasta and threw some seafood on it, I'd try to mentally block it out too.

eznark

Banned
What point, that people who like to see some variety in football are fans of teams that have never won SB's? That is stupid even for him. I am sure there are plenty of Eagles fans that dont like the read option, just like there are probably tons of 9ers fans that do like it. It literally has 0 to do with how successful the team you root for has been.

You don't think offensive scheme has anything to do with how successful your team is?

Advanced stats hate sacks. QBR and Football Outsiders ding QBs for it. PFR uses Adjusted Yards per Attempt and includes sacks as dropbacks and lost yardage subtracts from passing yards. Not saying it's right but that's where those guys fall on the argument

Still baffling to me for a number of reasons. The goal of those stats is supposedly to isolate QB play so you take into account an outcome that generally has very little to do with the QB, not only that but you weigh it almost as highly as touchdowns thrown. Additionally, the alternative outcome of a pressure is generally awful as well. Incompletion, fumble, penalties as a result of a QB keeping a play alive and linemen compensating, interception as the QB tries to get rid of the ball. It's all shit.

Additionally, Rodgers clearly takes sacks as opposed to throwing it away in many cases. He does it for a number of reasons. 1. avoid the turnover 2. protect himself (instead of contorting in order to attempt a throw away and getting bad angle shots 3. he has confidence in his ability to convert long yardage, especially on first downs. He will generally hold the ball longer on first down and third down than on second down because of this.

The hatred for sacks among football statheads is as bizarre to me as the hatred for walks among baseball seamheads. It's hilarious that it's the opposite sides of the spectrum with the illogical views for the two sports.

I know, and I agree in counting certain sacks where more pocket awareness would have prevented them, Tannehill has had an issues with that since preseason (has gotten better though) but claiming that he's the same as last season just isn't true, I know it's only two games into the season but so far he's corrected a lot of smaller issues he had last year (accuracy, locking on to receiver, moving safety)

Also I found this really great article on how the Dolphins used Wallace to create plays

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1778300-breaking-down-how-the-miami-dolphins-used-mike-wallace-in-week-2

I love reading break downs like this, makes the game that much more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom