• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 4 IOTI - For a good time call Sweet Pea

Revolver

So happy with the news of Locker. I was freaking out yesterday. 4-6 weeks (with week 4 from now being our bye) isn't nearly as bad as "career ending" and "season ending" that the internet started raving about.

All fitz really has to do is manage the game and not do anything stupid. Sucks as Jake was just emerging and coming into his own.As long as he's ready for the playoffs.

Also . .

There was a certain year where a certain Titans quarterback went down for like 5 games, only to return and carry us all the way forward . .

football godz, plz

I was sick to my stomach when Locker got hurt. Flashbacks of Bo Jackson kept running through my head. He was playing so well lately and starting to turn the corner. I'm seeing reports that he's out of the hospital and won't need surgery so hopefully he'll bounce back.

I have little faith in Fitz but if he keeps the turnovers to a minimum and just manages the offense then hopefully things will work out. The defense has looked really good this year.

bionic77

True diehard right here.
At least Gator as the excuse of being a stupid reptile who wasn't born in Florida.

What is Lunchbox's excuse for being a filthy bandwagoning whore? He should be a Lions fan considering he is a resident of Shitsville (aka Detroit), Michigan.

I have little faith in Fitz but if he keeps the turnovers to a minimum and just manages the offense then hopefully things will work out. The defense has looked really good this year.
You are asking a lot of him with that... The only thing Fitz is consistent with is his inconsistency.

The Chiefs could give Denver issues, but could they score enough points to keep up?

McCoy seems to be doing a good job in SD, we'll see if it holds up. And Oakland...can we trade them to the NFC West for someone else?

Chiefs aren't gonna do anything against the Broncos. Oakland could easily be 3-1 right now, our defense is playing tough but the offense is struggling mightily.

They definitely won the September Superbowl.

But we will have to see how they do the rest of the year.

This is America dude. We don't just crown you champion based on the start of the regular season. You gotta earn that championship in the postseason!

Also I fucking hate the whatever is happening right now is the greatest thing of all time culture of ESPN and these other fraud media outlets. No one can deny the Broncos are great, but they are not as good on offense as the 1999 Rams. That offense was the most stacked and talented offense that I have ever seen. They literally had no weaknesses. And that was back in the era when defenders could still be physical with receivers.

I'm just saying the league seems to be historically weak on the defensive side of the ball this year. The 99 rams had to contend with Bucs, who almost stopped them. Maybe some team will get steamrolling on D, but I'm not sure you can stop Peyton for 4 quarters this year. I hope I'm wrong, but we'll see.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I was sick to my stomach when Locker got hurt. Flashbacks of Bo Jackson kept running through my head. He was playing so well lately and starting to turn the corner. I'm seeing reports that he's out of the hospital and won't need surgery so hopefully he'll bounce back.

Pretty much. We have a rough three game stretch coming up and if we can squeak out even one win with Fitz I'll take it going forward, giving the situation. Our running game really, really needs to be on fire for any real chance, which I don't have much hope for as long as Turner is still under center.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Tebow's judgement chose the wrong victim. My condolences. Wilfork always seemed like a down-to-Earth guy.

Yeah definitely, he's one of the more likable guys on the team... probably the league. Obviously I'm biased, but he's just tough not to like, always has a ton to say after games too.

Colasante

I wonder if Phil Taylor from the Browns or Dan Williams from the Cardinals would be available via trade. There aren't a lot of traditional nose tackles around the league, it would seem. I wish the bridges hadn't been burned with Richard Seymour, he might have been a semi-effective fill-in.

LevelNth

Banned
They definitely won the September Superbowl.

But we will have to see how they do the rest of the year.

This is America dude. We don't just crown you champion based on the start of the regular season. You gotta earn that championship in the postseason!

Also I fucking hate the whatever is happening right now is the greatest thing of all time culture of ESPN and these other fraud media outlets. No one can deny the Broncos are great, but they are not as good on offense as the 1999 Rams. That offense was the most stacked and talented offense that I have ever seen. They literally had no weaknesses. And that was back in the era when defenders could still be physical with receivers.
Faulk was just too much, it was crazy to watch some of the stuff he did. That season was such an excellent display of overall RB talent from him. To think on top they had Warner who was LIGHTS OUT that year is just sickening.

Denver is going ham this year without question, but their backs are still meh and they've done so against 3 of the worst D's in the league through 25% of the season.

Pump. The. Brakes.

Godslay

Banned
Chiefs aren't gonna do anything against the Broncos. Oakland could easily be 3-1 right now, our defense is playing tough but the offense is struggling mightily.

I'm just saying the league seems to be historically weak on the defensive side of the ball this year. The 99 rams had to contend with Bucs, who almost stopped them. Maybe some team will get steamrolling on D, but I'm not sure you can stop Peyton for 4 quarters this year. I hope I'm wrong, but we'll see.

I've been running through scenarios in my head about the Chiefs stopping the Broncos.

They can bring the pressure, but Peyton has been absolutely torching blitzes. The thing it ultimately depends on in my mind is coverage. If they can shut down the WRs/TEs, then the pressure will matter. Otherwise, he'll just get rid of the ball quickly, and then it's death by 1000 cuts.

They could also play the possession game, but I think Denver's defense is good enough to get off the field even facing the likes of Charles. Von will be back for those games as well. So that complicates things for them.

I'm not going to say the Chiefs can't do that, but it won't be easy. It will take long sustained drives by the Chiefs, and excellent coverage combined with pressure to do it. Can they? I'm not going to rule it out, but I think we match up good enough to prevent those from happening. Then again we could have something from left field like Alex or Charles having a career day and outscoring the Broncos not likely, but could happen.

bionic77

Thats what happens when you change the rules. Remember that you can't really touch a receiver past 5 yards and you can't crush people over the middle. Makes it impossible to cover any team that has 3+ good receivers if you give the qb any time.

I wouldn't crown the Broncos just yet seeing as how there is a team that wins the September and October bowl every year (usually PeyPey or Tammy) that flames out in the playoffs. If the Broncos stay healthy (especially Peyton, I wonder how he holds up at the end of the season) they might actually buck the trend and win playoff games because they are able to play defense and special teams. Its really hard to win in the playoffs when you are a one trick pony. It has to be a whole team because there will be quarters when shit is not going your way on offense and you need the defense to make some plays to keep you in the game. I can see the Broncos doing that this year. They are a little weak at RB, but I don't think matters because Peyton's dunk offense is as good or better than a real running game.

Matt Ryan threw for a career high last nigh. 421 yards. Only 2 touchdowns though. He couldnt throw anything on Talib though.

Our redzone woes are killing us far more than our defense or our injuries are.

If we could just start converting those opportunities in to TDs, we'd probably be undefeated right now.

We were 1 for 6 in the redzone last night. :(

I never gave my real assessment on the game from yesterday. First off, all the credit to the Bills. They were better than that 3 point win. We were dominated in the trenches on both sides. The routinely stuffed our run, Dareus and Kyle Williams seemed to be everywhere in the first half. There was no pass rush, and when there was, EJ got rid of it quick. He looked very good, even with the two picks. Our rush D had been very good, but yesterday, it was bad. Ngata was invisible. Linebackers constantly took bad angles. Just a bad performance on D. I'm hoping it was more of an aberation than the norm. Secondary....I'll give credit to Graham, Smith and Webb....they're not getting beat by much when they do, but are getting NO help from the safeties. Elam is a bust. On the other side of the ball, Kiko Alonso and Aaron Williams are good players.

On offense, what did people expect? Did they forget what Joe Flacco is like on the road? I did not. It took all of three throws to see what kind of Joe we were getting today. The one who forced throws into coverage, overthrew every deep ball, and simply couldn't throw the ball close the player he meant to. He does this on the road. It's crazy we were even in the game with a chance to win after 4 picks.....but then the fifth. Done. He's still the same Flacco I railed against last year, just with a ring, and a lot more money.

It's going to be a long 5 years.

Pittsburgh! We bros now!

KingGondo

Banned
Interesting, Why didnt you jump on a OK St players team before? What was special about Weeden to make you want to follow and keep following the Browns?
We have family friends in Cleveland, and we decided to go up to a game last year (the Eagles opener). I enjoyed the game (although they of course lost in miserable fashion) and I also enjoyed the city itself. Kinda reminds me of OKC in a way, except we're trying to create our own identity as a city, and Cleveland is trying to reinvent itself.

The Weeden/OSU connection was an added factor, but the writing has been on the wall since the new regime came in that he isn't the answer. As it is, I think it's a fun team to follow. The defense is beastly, they're in prime position to contend for the division for years to come, and it's honestly fun to root for an underdog. I also admire the dedication of the fanbase--they love that team even though it has done nothing but shit on them since they returned to Cleveland.

I wouldn't be much of a Browns fan if I bailed just because they benched Weeden.

jbug617

Banned

If we could just start converting those opportunities in to TDs, we'd probably be undefeated right now.

You guys don't run it enough when you get in the 10yd line. Hopefully Jackson will cure that.

Hunter S.

Faulk was just too much, it was crazy to watch some of the stuff he did. That season was such an excellent display of overall RB talent from him. To think on top they had Warner who was LIGHTS OUT that year is just sickening.

Denver is going ham this year without question, but their backs are still meh and they've done so against 3 of the worst D's in the league through 25% of the season.

Pump. The. Brakes.
You do realize in so few games played, by scoring so many points against each team they played. They helped each D look horrible just by scoring so many points, and gaining so many yards in 1/4 games played apiece.

effzee

Its crazy, pathetic, and awesome all at the same time that if the Eagles beat the Giants this Sunday and Broncos beat the Cowboys (this better happen Peyton!), Eagles are in first place.

Real season for us starts now that we have those horrible AFC West (minus the Raiders) teams out of the way!

Giants 2x in the next 4 weeks, a game with the Cowboys in between, and games against the Bucs, Cards, and Raiders left.

I've been running through scenarios in my head about the Chiefs stopping the Broncos.

They can bring the pressure, but Peyton has been absolutely torching blitzes. The thing it ultimately depends on in my mind is coverage. If they can shut down the WRs/TEs, then the pressure will matter. Otherwise, he'll just get rid of the ball quickly, and then it's death by 1000 cuts.

They could also play the possession game, but I think Denver's defense is good enough to get off the field even facing the likes of Charles. Von will be back for those games as well. So that complicates things for them.

I'm not going to say the Chiefs can't do that, but it won't be easy. It will take long sustained drives by the Chiefs, and excellent coverage combined with pressure to do it. Can they? I'm not going to rule it out, but I think we match up good enough to prevent those from happening. Then again we could have something from left field like Alex or Charles having a career day and outscoring the Broncos not likely, but could happen.

I hope Von can come back and give the defensive pass rush a boost. I think part of the reason the Broncos pass defense hasn't stood out is because a lot of times the Broncos can't get enough pressure with their defensive line, and other QBs have had time to find open receivers. Usually is worse earlier in the game before the Broncos have established a lead and opposing QBs are chucking it trying to make up ground. When they get even decent pressure, the DBs and linebackers are doing fantastic in coverage. Rodgers-Cromartie is beasting, Harris and Carter have been solid, Trevathan and Woodyard have been mostly awesome.

Colasante

Seemed like a bad decision by the Jets to use the IR Designated to Return tag on Sanchez a few weeks back. Now it's confirmed as a very bad decision. Teams have largely failed to realize how to use that designation to their advantage yet.

bionic77

I never gave my real assessment on the game from yesterday. First off, all the credit to the Bills. They were better than that 3 point win. We were dominated in the trenches on both sides. The routinely stuffed our run, Dareus and Kyle Williams seemed to be everywhere in the first half. There was no pass rush, and when there was, EJ got rid of it quick. He looked very good, even with the two picks. Our rush D had been very good, but yesterday, it was bad. Ngata was invisible. Linebackers constantly took bad angles. Just a bad performance on D. I'm hoping it was more of an aberation than the norm. Secondary....I'll give credit to Graham, Smith and Webb....they're not getting beat by much when they do, but are getting NO help from the safeties. Elam is a bust. On the other side of the ball, Kiko Alonso and Aaron Williams are good players.

On offense, what did people expect? Did they forget what Joe Flacco is like on the road? I did not. It took all of three throws to see what kind of Joe we were getting today. The one who forced throws into coverage, overthrew every deep ball, and simply couldn't throw the ball close the player he meant to. He does this on the road. It's crazy we were even in the game with a chance to win after 4 picks.....but then the fifth. Done. He's still the same Flacco I railed against last year, just with a ring, and a lot more money.

It's going to be a long 5 years.

Pittsburgh! We bros now!
I hear ya. Time to gang up against those unruly bastards from Ohio who are taking over our division!

P.S. I can't believe your team had a real chance to win a game after throwing 4 INTs on the road. Buffalo tried so hard to lose, but to your team's credit you showed the heart of the 2013 Pittsburgh Steelers and wouldn't let it happen.

Tom Penny

Pats were the worst Redzone offense in the league going into last night. Probably still are.

jakncoke

Banned
We have family friends in Cleveland, and we decided to go up to a game last year (the Eagles opener). I enjoyed the game (although they of course lost in miserable fashion) and I also enjoyed the city itself. Kinda reminds me of OKC in a way, except we're trying to create our own identity as a city, and Cleveland is trying to reinvent itself.

The Weeden/OSU connection was an added factor, but the writing has been on the wall since the new regime came in that he isn't the answer. As it is, I think it's a fun team to follow. The defense is beastly, they're in prime position to contend for the division for years to come, and it's honestly fun to root for an underdog. I also admire the dedication of the fanbase--they love that team even though it has done nothing but shit on them since they returned to Cleveland.

I wouldn't be much of a Browns fan if I bailed just because they benched Weeden.

Poor OKC

Sanjuro

What about straight up execution?

Execution is alright, I think we can all agree on that!

Honestly, that aspect really isn't applicable to Vince's situation, but it can be used to contrast him to other athletes if needed. Just didn't want to go down that road.

bionic77

We need another player with a killer instinct. Thompkins could the guy if he stops dropping it.
We will give you guys Ryan Clark in exchange for a few draft picks.

He is a head hunter and is a really awesome football player. Throw in a first and we will give you Troy as well. Make the deal before we change our minds!

Godslay

Banned
I hope Von can come back and give the defensive pass rush a boost. I think part of the reason the Broncos pass defense hasn't stood out is because a lot of times the Broncos can't get enough pressure with their defensive line, and other QBs have had time to find open receivers. Usually is worse earlier in the game before the Broncos have established a lead and opposing QBs are chucking it trying to make up ground. When they get even decent pressure, the DBs and linebackers are doing fantastic in coverage. Rodgers-Cromartie is beasting, Harris and Carter have been solid, Trevathan and Woodyard have been mostly awesome.

Agreed on all points. If they can sustain the coverage like they have, Von is going to be a huge boost to the defense. The pressure he generates creates a trickle down effect to a certain degree. It gives other guys a better opportunity to make plays as well. I will be happy to have him back. He is going to take us to the next level on the defensive side.

Sanjuro

I'm still shocked at the Giants and Steelers record to this date. It has given me a great idea to replace the Pro Bowl.

- You vote players in, same as every other year.
- Those players are sent to Florida and given numerical signs like in the NBA Dunk Contest.
- They sit in the stands and watch the two teams with the worst records play one another a week before the Super Bowl.

You're welcome, Goodell.

Trey

Unfortunately, even some people locally are stuck at his "ugly wife" and don't really know his story. It's just not as appealing to the masses as rape or spousal abuse.

This is so fucked up. Reminds me of those salty women who talk about T.I's wife cuz nobody wants their hateful, crusty ass.

bionic77

I'm still shocked at the Giants and Steelers record to this date. It has given me a great idea to replace the Pro Bowl.

- You vote players in, same as every other year.
- Those players are sent to Florida and given numerical signs like in the NBA Dunk Contest.
- They sit in the stands and watch the two teams with the worst records play one another a week before the Super Bowl.

You're welcome, Goodell.
Horrible idea.

The players try harder in the pro bowl than the Steelers and Giants players do.

I must avatar this next:

182351283.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Top Bottom