• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 4 IOTI - For a good time call Sweet Pea

Smokey

Oh my......still on schuab not to throw it but wow. Fuck you Gary! Take your ass back to Denver you fucking Aggie piece of crap!

How can you not let Schaub audible.

treats him like the backup qb he is

It's insane that Schoob cannot audible. I hope Kubiak is lying to take the heat off him, b/c that would just be ridiculous to have a QB in the system that long and not trust him

I don't think he's lying. This morning when the hosts asked Schaub about audibling like other QBs he went on this rant about how they aren't going to just make noises just to make noises, we make our call and we go play etc

Sat there shaking my head in traffic

It might not be a question of trust. It might just be the system. Mike Martz never implemented an audible system in his offenses. Instead, he ran a check with me system. He would send in two or three plays, and then the quarterback would call whichever seemed more appropriate at the line.

He doesn't even get to do something similar to this

czaeqeq.jpg

Browns

BAMF.

Also, to anyone claiming Denver's defense it's good. Stats say otherwise. Denver is third worst in the league for passing defense. Only Philadelphia and Minnesota are worse. Been saying our secondary is not as impressive as people are making it out to be.

Side note: anyone here in the IT Security field?

If I said this I would have been roasted.

Broncos are this year's version of the "we can pin our ears back and play for turnovers since our QB scores 40 points a game" defense.

Most famous example of this was the 2009 Saints D, who faded at the end of the year.

squicken

It might not be a question of trust. It might just be the system. Mike Martz never implemented an audible system in his offenses. Instead, he ran a check with me system. He would send in two or three plays, and then the quarterback would call whichever seemed more appropriate at the line.

Most teams do that for even rookie QBs. They usually have some sort of kill call to at least get out of a run or pass. Kubiak is saying that the play he calls in has to be run absolutely, no changes allowed. Bananas

Tom Penny

League on watch

The New York Giants are 0-4, but Antrel Rolle thinks they can still make the playoffs.

In fact, Rolle thinks the Giants can do much better than that.

"I believe we can go 12-0 from this point on," Rolle said Monday.

Narag

Is the Schaub thing getting a disproportionate time in the lime light given how early it is in the season? Not so much the cumulative part but the Sherman pick.

Broncos are this year's version of the "we can pin our ears back and play for turnovers since our QB scores 40 points a game" defense.

Most famous example of this was the 2009 Saints D, who faded at the end of the year.

The Broncos haven't been getting many turnovers this year. They are currently +1.

They are going to play strong in the running game and bring pressure with Von. This is not the 2011 Saints.

Hunter S.

Last year the Broncos rushed a lot more and got more pressure as they had Miller and Doom. We will see more of that when the teams top defensive pass rusher returns.

Most teams do that for even rookie QBs. They usually have some sort of kill call to at least get out of a run or pass. Kubiak is saying that the play he calls in has to be run absolutely, no changes allowed. Bananas

Just another reason why the Texans are a fucking joke under Kubiak. What a waste of such a good roster. They will never win it all with him.

It's fine now during the regular season, but when the post-season starts rolling around some of these loose ends need to be fixed. Granted, the defense will get better once Von and Champ return, but I still have my concerns.

Is the Schaub thing getting a disproportionate time in the lime light given how early it is in the season? Not so much the cumulative part but the Sherman pick.

Schaub's had this coming for 2 years now. What happened in Houston was the next stage in the five stages of grief.

effzee

Run defense is still #1 in the league right now. My problem is when Denver starts getting to teams with decent QB play we aren't going to see the blowouts we've been accustomed to these four weeks. Heck, Dallas, despite the NFC East being a crap tier division, is probably going to be a good measuring stick for how well we start stacking up with more balanced teams. Denver's secondary is what cost them a Super Bowl berth before.

I really don't think decent of even great QBs in the league are going to be able to keep up with the pace of the Denver offense. Its not like the Broncos O goes against another teams QB and their O. No defense besides Seattle's can contain the Peyton and skill players you guys have. Oh then you guys also have a great special teams game.

Even Vick and the Eagles O put up good yards against the D but the point is to be able to score touchdowns almost even trip because the Broncos offense is most likely going to score no matter what D you put out there.

Denver gets so far ahead people have to pass only to keep up. The run defense probable have good numbers.

Yeah its hard to judge Denver's D. They basically defend the pass and maybe that's why their pass D looks bad. If ever they were in a situation where they needed the D to make some crucial stops we would be able to see how good the D is.

MechDX

3 pick 6 in the first 4 games......that straw has to break somewhere.

squicken

You have to understand that everything the Texans do is still linked to the Oilers numerous big game chokes. And the pre-Schaub stuff like the Rosencopter. The radio hosts called that play and game and Oilers moment and all the olds know exactly what that means.

Everyone I talk to thought the game was over once it got 20-13. Wilson throws the INT b/c there has to be a new way to torture the fans, so hope is restore. Then Schoob-time out of nowhere

h1nch

Also, to anyone claiming Denver's defense it's good. Stats say otherwise. Denver is third worst in the league for passing defense. Only Philadelphia and Minnesota are worse. Been saying our secondary is not as impressive as people are making it out to be.

Side note: anyone here in the IT Security field?

It may be my own biased view, but I've watched all of the Broncos games, and it seems like a lot of teams have been putting up garbage passing numbers when they're trying to play catch up in the 2nd half.

I'd be curious to see how Denver's pass D ranks in the first half of games when the outcome is still in doubt. Regardless, they do seem to be able to keep teams out of the endzone in the first half of games. Also, when they get Von back it should help their pass D as added pressure on opposing QBs will force them into errant throws or a sack/fumble.

Like I said, I'm obviously biased but I'm not really seeing Denver's corners getting torched consistently save for some long bombs that happen in the 2nd half when teams are more desperate. On Sunday the Broncos seemed to get bitten by short screen passes that went for extra yds. Definitely something they need to clean up, but I see that being more a function of better execution and playcalling, not necessarily a problem with the available talent. The lack of a consistent pass rush against a good passing offense would concern me more than the play of the secondary.

+1 to JDR's stop the run philosophy. Don't know of many teams that can go one dimensional and still hang with the Manningfense.

I really don't think decent of even great QBs in the league are going to be able to keep up with the pace of the Denver offense. Its not like the Broncos O goes against another teams QB and their O. No defense besides Seattle's can contain the Peyton and skill players you guys have. Oh then you guys also have a great special teams game.

Even Vick and the Eagles O put up good yards against the D but the point is to be able to score touchdowns almost even trip because the Broncos offense is most likely going to score no matter what D you put out there.

Yeah its hard to judge Denver's D. They basically defend the pass and maybe that's why their pass D looks bad. If ever they were in a situation where they needed the D to make some crucial stops we would be able to see how good the D is.

The Broncos defense was second last year in yards allowed. First in passing defense. Von is going to transform this team with the pressure he will put on the quarterback.

Tom Penny

Saints also won a SB with a bad defense because they were among the top that year in causing turnovers. No teams consistently stop anyone anymore. It's about timely big plays IMO.

Narag

3 pick 6 in the first 4 games......that straw has to break somewhere.

I know but do TJ Yates or Case Keenum really offer a better chance to win with Kubiak as HC? It's fun to crack jokes about Schaub but it seems like he's going to be the sacrificial lamb that buys time for the larger problem. All the doom & gloom I mentioned earlier when I was on my phone just seems out of place for a 2-2 team in a questionable division, especially now since Locker is hurt.

The whole unable to audible out of the play thing just gets filed in the same place as that story from last year about Kubiak not letting his d practice deflecting passes because it'd affect QB confidence or whatever stupid excuse that Wade Phillips thought was nonsense.

You have to understand that everything the Texans do is still linked to the Oilers numerous big game chokes. And the pre-Schaub stuff like the Rosencopter. The radio hosts called that play and game and Oilers moment and all the olds know exactly what that means.

Everyone I talk to thought the game was over once it got 20-13. Wilson throws the INT b/c there has to be a new way to torture the fans, so hope is restore. Then Schoob-time out of nowhere

Ah, I gotcha. Never occurred to me that there was a pre-existing culture frustrating the fanbase like that.

Spinluck

I want 7 for a specific reason.

Tread lightly.

I dunno, I think the same type of team can't give them troubles that gave the 2007 Patriots troubles: a team that can pressure with the front four and stay in coverage with everyone else. Nobody was supposed to stop that offense, but come playoff time you could see the weaknesses that were eventually exploited by out-of-your mind NYG defensive front four.

Likely, if a team can get inside pressure, that would be the best way to disrupt Peyton the most. Chiefs could be an awesome game. SD could be interesting matchup too, if Rivers continues to play ridiculously well.

For some reason they remind me more of the 09 Colts. Yea, 07 Pats were pretty dominant, but I don't think the Broncos go undefeated. Then again I could be wrong, Peyton almost went undefeated with Jim Caldwell at head coach. Caldwell was a pretty good QB coach though!

We steamrolled through some teams that year, and he was amazing in the 4th Q that year outside of the Superbowl. The 07 Pats should've lost against the Ravens that year, I haven't seen a ref robbing that bad in a while. While the numbers seem more 07 Pats like, the team just reminds me more of the 09 Colts. That was the one year 2 of the best teams that year actually made it to the Superbowl. I hope we get something like that again this year.

MechDX

I know but do TJ Yates or Case Keenum really offer a better chance to win with Kubiak as HC? It's fun to crack jokes about Schaub but it seems like he's going to be the sacrificial lamb that buys time for the larger problem. All the doom & gloom I mentioned earlier when I was on my phone just seems out of place for a 2-2 team in a questionable division, especially now since Locker is hurt.

The whole unable to audible out of the play thing just gets filed in the same place as that story from last year about Kubiak not letting his d practice deflecting passes because it'd affect QB confidence or whatever stupid excuse that Wade Phillips thought was nonsense.

Ah, I gotcha. Never occurred to me that there was a pre-existing culture frustrating the fanbase like that.

1) Don't listen to squicken, He is not a smart boy when it comes to the Texans. This whole situation is probably making him sexually aroused.

2) TJ nor Case really doesn't change anything other than basically saying "you're giving up on the year". Yeah one could come in and have a magical run but that is hardly ever the outcome when a QB change is made mid season away from a seasoned vet. Im hedging my hopes that Schaub will emerge from this stronger (HA!) but you have to have hope. #TEAMFLACCO

Top Bottom