• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 4 IOTI - For a good time call Sweet Pea

This isn't the thread but would you guys start Romo over Matt Ryan?

How is the Chargers/Pats defenses?

Pats defense is better than Chargers right now. The equalizer is that Atlanta is a different beast at home. The Pats have faced two rookie and one inept QB, so the numbers could be skewed. Basically it comes down to which receiving corp do you trust more? Dallas' or Atlanta's?

You have got the good QB eye BlackGhost.

Manziel is legit. Lots of people will look silly for doubting him.

Since you've been watching him so much, how has Mathews looked on the left side this year? He's my target for the draft assuming he is the top LT come that time. How is Lewan looking in comparison?

MechDX

And 24th in YPA because of the offensive philosophy of the coach. Kubiak wouldn't let Rodgers slang it if he had him

I posted this yesterday:

Nick Mathews ‏@Nick_Mathews 23 Sep
Matt Schaub's QB ratings for the following situations: When behind 105.0; when tied 71.8; when ahead 29.5. Wow.

Its where the confusion comes in to play. Is it Schaub or Kubiak? I know Schaub has his issues but when you look at this...

squicken

Since you've been watching him so much, how has Mathews looked on the left side this year? He's my target for the draft assuming he is the top LT come that time. How is Lewan looking in comparison?

I have no idea on college offensive linemen. There's so few quality pass rushers in college, and most teams throw the ball so short, that you never get extended looks at them pass blocking vs good opponents or just lining up and mauling guys in the run game.

It's early, but given the struggles of the top 3 drafted tackles, it may make teams re-think the type of guys they are looking for. Maybe a trend back to guys who can run block better?

Bowser

Will the Jags go for Fatman?

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 23m
Cross the Jaguars off the Josh Freeman trade speculation list http://wp.me/p14QSB-9hDN

tumblr_me4tq8lNWr1qdr6nio1_250.gif

Nightz

This isn't the thread but would you guys start Romo over Matt Ryan?

How is the Chargers/Pats defenses?

The Titans had to drive 94 yards with 1:50 left against the Chargers and they won. That should tell you all you need to know about the Chargers D.

I have no idea on college offensive linemen. There's so few quality pass rushers in college, and most teams throw the ball so short, that you never get extended looks at them pass blocking vs good opponents or just lining up and mauling guys in the run game.

It's early, but given the struggles of the top 3 drafted tackles, it may make teams re-think the type of guys they are looking for. Maybe a trend back to guys who can run block better?

Joeckel was the only tackle I felt was worthy of a top 10 pick so I'm not surprised to see Fischer and Johnson struggle. I was relieved when Philly took Johnson, did not want him. It's a shame college defenses are such garbage, it's a wonder the tackles can be evaluated at all. Seems their lone stock is how they do against the few notable pass rushers. I just remember Mathews choosing to stay in school so he could move to the left side with Joeckel gone which would up his stock for this next draft. Being able to play both sides obviously increases his value.

Striker

Giants O-Line is horrendous. Bad drafting. We have enough DE's, Line Backers and Oline need work badly.
They are fine at OT; Pugh will improve as he gets more time and gets stronger. Beatty had the absolute worst game of his career - it's not something normal for him. But as for the interior.. yeah it's a mess. Jerry messed up by ignoring it all this time. Snee needs cut, Baas can be too if they can take the cap hit, and Boothe is just average.

Linebackers, same - Reese ignored it and it's bitten them in the ass. It's a very, very bad group. DE's would be better if JPP didn't have a bad back, but he's still limited. Tuck is a shell of himself and Kiwi has been wildly inconsistent. They need to use DaMonster more often, no question. Tuck's gone after the year, maybe Kiwanuka will be too. Speaking of DE's...

On the defensive side of things, G-Men can't stop the run. They allowed Knowshon Moreno to run all over them, of all RBs! Jamaal Charles is much better than Moreno.
They are pretty good inside with the tackles, but it's the DE's that been been taking terrible angles (both TD's vs. Moreno, for instance). They weren't in contain at all, really frustrating to see once again. They did a decent job vs. Murray at Dallas, so it hasn't been entirely bad. Sell out the stop Charles and force Alex to beat you. It depends what type of defense Fewell brings, but I wouldn't mind Jenkins at DE, and plug fatass Rogers or Patterson in at tackle.

Offensively, at least they aren't facing Blackburn! With Hynoski out, I'd hope they go 3 wide as their base offense, more Shotgun, and let Eli dictate the offense rather than going into the same I-form only to get crunched inside.

BigAT

Why would any team trade for Freeman? Besides the fact that he's no good, he also has a pre-CBA rookie contract. His cap hit is $9.7 million this year.

Why would any team trade for Freeman? Besides the fact that he's no good, he also has a pre-CBA rookie contract. His cap hit is $9.7 million this year.

Plus he will 100% be cut. If a team really wants him sign him then, and give him a whole offseason to learn your offense. I couldnt even imagine how poorly he would do forced into a new team at this point in the season.

jWILL253

Banned
I'm looking forward to the Hawks @ Poor Man's Cowboys game. They are built on a similar palette to the Hawks: strong running game, strong defense, etc.

However, Schaub is shit. If AJ doesn't play Sunday, the Texans have no chance in hell...

So Misi and Wake might be back this week (with wake only coming on 3rd down pass situations) and Soliai and Patterson still out. With Nolan Carroll (he has to have something on someone) still on this team somehow we really could have used Patterson.

MechDX

I'm looking forward to the Hawks @ Poor Man's Cowboys game. They are built on a similar palette to the Hawks: strong running game, strong defense, etc.

However, Schaub is shit. If AJ doesn't play Sunday, the Texans have no chance in hell...

Lifelong Seahawk fan. Est: 2012

cdyhybrid

:jnc at all the crying over the announcement. They announced that they're making a console and that they're giving people an opportunity to beta test them. What were you expecting, HL3?

squicken

Insider piece on Ponder

The directional phrasing also applies to that Hail Mary play ending the Vikings' shocking home loss to the rebuilding Browns. The Vikings had three receivers lined up on the left side, but when Ponder felt pressure from a four-man rush, he fled to the other side of the formation -- away from his receivers and directly into Browns defensive end Desmond Bryant for a game-ending sack. Game situations are stressful, of course, but in this case, the Vikings were coming out of a timeout. Ponder himself had set the formation. If he was going to escape on this play, there was only one direction for him to go, and that was toward the side of the field where the Vikings had all those receivers. Ponder went the other way. The Vikings' win probability dropped from 12.4 percent to zero.

"The thing that is unique about him," a longtime NFL personnel evaluator said, "is he is not really football smart or instinctive for the position even though he is intelligent. He does things that make you just shake your head."

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mike-sando/post?id=559

effzee

My thing is this: Kansas City manhandled Dallas and Philadelphia. Two teams that are better than the Giants right now.

I am going to have to stop you right there. KC didn't manhandle the Eagles or the Cowboys. Actually I don't know about the Cowboys since I didn't see the game outside of highlights, but I was at the Eagles game.

The Chiefs first 10 points came from a muffed punt and Vick throwing the dumbest pick 6 even in his illustrious career of dumb picks. For sure KC's D is legit and forced some of the other turnovers but the Eagles were also having snap problems. One of the turnovers was when the C snapped the ball into his own butt. The Eagles O still put up tons of yards and moved the ball.

Final score was 26-16 and that included a missed FG and a failed 2 point conversion when Chip lost his goddamn mind and went for 2 in the first quarter.

Eagles D is also worse than the Giants. I don't care what the #s say but the Giants D is constantly on the field because the offense keeps turning it over. But from the Dline to the backfield they are a better unit. If the Eagles pathetic D held KC in check, so can the Giants D.

Giants I think are due for a good game.

Carolina proved that the Giants have no offensive line, and if Carolina managed to wreck them, than I think Kansas City is going to be much worse. On the defensive side of things, G-Men can't stop the run. They allowed Knowshon Moreno to run all over them, of all RBs! Jamaal Charles is much better than Moreno.

Lets stop again. Carolina's front 7 is top 5. KC's D is overall better but I'll take the Panthers Dline and LBs over KCs. I also think finally Gilbride and the offense are going to recognize they can't block at all and gameplan around it. Short passes, more screens, and trusting Wilson more to run.

As for stopping the run, keep in mind whichever D plays the Broncos, Moreno and the running game is probably priority 5 in terms of the gameplan. You need to first plan for Manning, Welker, D. Thomas, Decker, and J. Thomas. The defenses are in a bind and letting Moreno or any of their backs get going isn't all that shocking.

Now obviously J. Charles is top 5, but Giants don't have to worry much about Alex Smith like they had to with the Broncos.

I am not saying the Giants are a lock to beat the Chiefs, but I don't think they will be turning it over as much as they have, they will gameplan around the bad OLINE, and the D will have an easier time simply if the O stops turning it over.

effzee

Joeckel was the only tackle I felt was worthy of a top 10 pick so I'm not surprised to see Fischer and Johnson struggle. I was relieved when Philly took Johnson, did not want him. It's a shame college defenses are such garbage, it's a wonder the tackles can be evaluated at all. Seems their lone stock is how they do against the few notable pass rushers. I just remember Mathews choosing to stay in school so he could move to the left side with Joeckel gone which would up his stock for this next draft. Being able to play both sides obviously increases his value.

How is Lane Johnson not worth it again?

Eagles O looks completely different from last year's. Night and day difference and the main difference has been the upgrade to RT with the addition of Lane. KC gave him trouble but they do have a pretty good D. Even then 1-2 of those sacks were because Vick held on too the ball too long.

Lane Johnson has been pretty great considering how well McCoy is playing, how much more protection Vick is getting, and that he is playing RT which is Vick's blindside.

Top Bottom