• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 4 IOTI - For a good time call Sweet Pea

Pryor is practicing today, limited. Not sure if he is in stage 2 or 3 of the protocols. Menelik Watson also practicing doing agility drills. Will be nice to get him back.

Saints are the hot hand, but counting out my Phins would be dumb. Tannehil future

I think your offense will be fine and score some points, not sure you guys will keep up with Brees tho.

Kiryu

526925_439462082841686_1719634275_n.png

Seahawks fans are "better fan" to support Rams to win than Rams fans support their own team in their state...

I know it's fun to have a team on the rise, but worrying about media disrespect is very New Money. There's so much media out there that is far beyond TV slop. I mean do you really care what Cris Carter thinks about football? Most athletes have very little ability to describe why they were good at what they did
You're taking the post too seriously. Trust me, I don't care about the media's opinion very much, which is why you don't see me trumpeting stuff like how high the Dolphins are in the power rankings. I still look at some of that stuff but I put very little stock in it. It's all good fun to me.

If I was really worried about media disrespect I could have posted about ten thousand other articles that demonstrate it by now.

And to be fair I think the Saints will win Monday, haha.

cdyhybrid

Niners will probably trash the Rams. The Niners lost to two of the better teams in the league. The Rams lost to the fucking Cowgirls.

Godslay

Banned
That said, for me it feels like the Broncos have much better interior run defense. For whatever reason I feel like outside or stretch runs they have a little harder time with (I can't point out any specific plays though), but runs up the middle they have been exceptionally good in clogging up.

Yes, I agree. What I meant by someways, is that they are very good at pressuring the QB. Hali, Houston, and Poe are demolishing people. Houston's game against Philly was crazy last week. He was just wrecking guys. You don't get 7.5 sacks through 3 games by accident.

Broncos have been very good at sealing the edges, as well as clogging up the interior. The LBs have been clean so far it, because no one can get to them through that line. They are below average though in generating pressure, but that will change when Von comes back.

squicken

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/75860/the-inevitable-benching-of-josh-freeman

Barnwell basically says Schiano benched Freeman to save his job and ruined his career. Why do people have such an interest in propping up such a flawed player? He actually says that they have two really good WRs but since they have a similar skill set that it has hurt the offense. huh? He also bemoans the isolation routes. Iso routes, if the WRs can win them, make life much easier for the rest of the WRs and make the interior of the field easier to read for the QB

eznark

Banned
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/75860/the-inevitable-benching-of-josh-freeman

Barnwell basically says Schiano benched Freeman to save his job and ruined his career. Why do people have such an interest in propping up such a flawed player? He actually says that they have two really good WRs but since they have a similar skill set that it has hurt the offense. huh? He also bemoans the isolation routes. Iso routes, if the WRs can win them, make life much easier for the rest of the WRs and make the interior of the field easier to read for the QB

Awww, it's like a recent college graduate slowly realizing that Howard Zinn is completely full of shit. Adorable.

Yes, I agree. What I meant by someways, is that they are very good at pressuring the QB. Hali, Houston, and Poe are demolishing people. Houston's game against Philly was crazy last week. He was just wrecking guys. You don't get 7.5 sacks through 3 games by accident.

Broncos have been very good at sealing the edges, as well as clogging up the interior. The LBs have been clean so far it, because no one can get to them through that line. They are below average though in generating pressure, but that will change when Von comes back.

Not saying he isn't good, but I believe 3 were against Joeckel and 4 against Lane Johnson who have both been struggling so far. Doug Free who is not that good seemed to contain him when they played the Cowboys.

LevelNth

Banned
Niners will probably trash the Rams. The Niners lost to two of the better teams in the league. The Rams lost to the fucking Cowgirls.
The Hawks loss was one thing, you have a better D now, were at home and we even held on decently for a good portion of the game. But we lost our NT, Vernon got hurt, and Kyle Williams continues to prove he's an elite CFL player.

The Colts game served no purpose than to further show how bad Moore and Williams are (seriously guys, just forget them and move onto Baldwin and Patton), we didn't have Vernon which obviously proved a disaster, Willis and Nnamdi got hurt (and Nnamdi has also shown he's pretty much done himself), AND Roman is refusing to run.

And now I'm ranting.

While I agree that Freeman isn't really worth much don't you think it would have been smarter for the Bucs to prop him up? Instead Schiano goes out of his way to establish that Freeman is shit, in a contract year when the Bucs could have gotten the most for him. Way to fuck up his trade value.

Tom Penny

I would never give up on an elite player like Freeman. Completion percentage, TD/INT ratio and wins are pretty overrated.

Godslay

Banned
Not saying he isn't good, but I believe 3 were against Joeckel and 4 against Lane Johnson who have both been struggling so far. Doug Free who is not that good seemed to contain him when they played the Cowboys.

I still think that line is going to give people problems all year long. Bad schedule, but I think they'll do it against good teams too if given the chance.

jWILL253

Banned

You probably missed this part:

Bill Barnwell said:
I think you can make a case they certainly will leave Freeman in worse shape than the state he was in before Greg Schiano arrived in town. Freeman, remember, had a staggeringly good 2010 season at the ripe old age of 22, completing 61.4 percent of his passes while averaging 7.3 yards per attempt and throwing 25 touchdowns against six picks. That's a superstar, and Freeman did it while throwing to a crew of not-yets and too-lates: His primary receivers that year were rookies Mike Williams and Arrelious Benn, with Kellen Winslow and Cadillac Williams chipping in as ancillary targets. And Freeman was younger that year than Andrew Luck was during his rookie season. That's scary potential.

Since then, Freeman struggled through a disappointing 2011 season, had a hot start to the 2012 campaign, and then fell off a cliff near the second half of 2012. Part of that has to fall on his coaches, who don't exactly have the best pedigrees in dealing with quarterbacks. Schiano's gruff nature doesn't endear himself to just about anybody on the roster, but the coaches he hired to help Freeman develop are about as curious as can be. For his first staff in 2012, Schiano hired former college coach Ron Turner to be his quarterbacks coach. During the 2011 campaign, Turner had been the quarterbacks coach for the Indianapolis Colts, who got virtually nothing that season out of their young starter, Curtis Painter. When Turner left to take over at FIU, Schiano looked around and ended up hiring John McNulty, who had recently been let go with the remainder of the coaching staff in Arizona. There, McNulty was in charge of helping to develop Lindley, John Skelton, and Kevin Kolb. That's right: Since Schiano took over as head coach, the guys Josh Freeman has had as quarterbacks coaches have been partly responsible for two of the worst quarterback situations in recent memory.

Remember that this was all very close to going very differently. The Buccaneers were reportedly very close to hiring Chip Kelly during the 2011 offseason, with Kelly reportedly changing his mind at the last moment to stay at Oregon. When Kelly spurned them, the Buccaneers went back to the drawing board and ended up surprisingly choosing Schiano. There's no guarantees that Kelly would have "fixed" what ails Freeman, but it seems fair to say he probably would have done a better job than Schiano & Co. have.

I'm going to watch some of the footballs today.

Gee golly I am one happy camper right now. Gettin to see these two teams battle it out on the gridiron on da TV. Wow. Happy days.

I may even order a daag or two. Maybe get some chili. And if I'm in da mood to get real crazy maybe a pap or two.

BigAT

While I agree that Freeman isn't really worth much don't you think it would have been smarter for the Bucs to prop him up? Instead Schiano goes out of his way to establish that Freeman is shit, in a contract year when the Bucs could have gotten the most for him. Way to fuck up his trade value.

Who is going to trade for a backup quarterback making $8.4 million that you only get for a single season? What could the Bucs have possibly done to make that look like an attractive package?

I don't know why anyone continues to talk about potential trade destinations for Freeman. There just isn't any reasonable scenario in which that happens. It's like when there were people talking about the Jets trading Sanchez last offseason.

Gee golly I am one happy camper right now. Gettin to see these two teams battle it out on the gridiron on da TV. Wow. Happy days.

I may even order a daag or two. Maybe get some chili. And if I'm in da mood to get real crazy maybe a pap or two.

Is it the crack, or the heroin? Tell us whats hurting you bucket.

eznark

Banned
Stop enabling him.

Who is going to trade for a backup quarterback making $8.4 million that you only get for a single season? What could the Bucs have possibly done to make that look like an attractive package?

I don't know why anyone continues to talk about potential trade destinations for Freeman. There just isn't any reasonable scenario in which that happens. It's like when there were people talking about the Jets trading Sanchez last offseason.

Yup. Real dumb. NFL teams don't have farm systems full of prospects that they can swap for "change of scenery" deals and they also don't have a place to stash a guy so he can develop. Josh Freeman is obviously broken. Who would give up money and picks to bring him on board just to have to spend a year fixing him?

jakncoke

Banned

For the sake of the thread. Drop the character!

Stop enabling him.

Yup. Real dumb. NFL teams don't have farm systems full of prospects that they can swap for "change of scenery" deals and they also don't have a place to stash a guy so he can develop. Josh Freeman is obviously broken. Who would give up money and picks to bring him on board just to have to spend a year fixing him?

I wonder if a NFL minor league system would even work

squicken

Yeah I do agree with that to a point. If they weren't bringing in a backup with experience, then they needed to prop up Freeman and get through the year. But if he slacked off even more than he had previously, and had lost the locker room, then there's no choice. It's one of those behind the scenes things you just never know about. It's like seeing a good college player fall in the draft and then finding out he is illiterate

eznark

Banned
For the sake of the thread. Drop the character!

I imagine that is part of the overall end game for the 18 game (16 game max per player) idea. Possibly with the reemergence of an NFL Europe for those guys who aren't used regularly.

I picked you guys in the office pool.

Will be a close game but when in doubt you gotta the team from the superior conference.
If the Phins keep it close and don't look awful I'll be happy but I'm not expecting a win. The Saints are proven winners, the Dolphins still have a lot of growing to do.

I don't think it would. Too many injuries to the minor league to even keep it running. Seems like the season would be too short as well to fully utilize a minor league like in baseball.
edit: that 18 game idea Ez had would make more sense though.

Stern and Selig retiring in the same year eh?

You probably missed this part:

Remember that this was all very close to going very differently. The Buccaneers were reportedly very close to hiring Chip Kelly during the 2011 offseason, with Kelly reportedly changing his mind at the last moment to stay at Oregon. When Kelly spurned them, the Buccaneers went back to the drawing board and ended up surprisingly choosing Schiano. There's no guarantees that Kelly would have "fixed" what ails Freeman, but it seems fair to say he probably would have done a better job than Schiano & Co. have.

Chip_Kelly_NFL.gif

jakncoke

Banned
I imagine that is part of the overall end game for the 18 game (16 game max per player) idea. Possibly with the reemergence of an NFL Europe for those guys who aren't used regularly.

Fuck NFL Europe, if they going to have that style league again. Bring it to USA so we can actually watch the games at reasonable times if we're drunk enough to stupidly watch 106 UDFA from division 2 colleges wrassle about

bionic77

If the Phins keep it close and don't look awful I'll be happy but I'm not expecting a win. The Saints are proven winners, the Dolphins still have a lot of growing to do.
Times are a changin my friend.

Steelers and Giants might be winless going into October. Seattle Seahawks look like the best or one of the best teams in the league. Ravens getting KO'd by cheap strippers.

Stop looking towards the past for what is going to happen. That is not going to work anymore.

jakncoke

Banned
I feel sorry for Freeman :(

Seems like a cool dude.

He should give up football and franchise some Taco Bells. Americans love that fake mexican shit.

45K franchise fee
750k net worth
360k liquid cash

Total Investment: $1,324,300 - $2,465,500

He is making 8.4 million this year with possible 1.3 million in bonus.

Freeman could be the next Peyton Manning

Top Bottom