• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 5 |OT| - Are you ready for some 11:35 pm football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady misread the safety. Badly. It was an option route.

My point isn't that grounding should be called on Brady (I only chose that comparison because I remembered the play and actually thought there was more pressure) but that if refs start calling grounding way more harshly, as Phil Simms was begging for last night, that suddenly miscommunications turn into loss of down penalties.
Yeah it's a judgemental call for any downfield throw though. The throw I mentioned the pass rush got home and Brady got rid of it quick. Though that's from memory so I can't be sure if it was poor communication from the receiver.

eznark

Banned
Yeah it's a judgemental call for any downfield throw though. The throw I mentioned the pass rush got home and Brady got rid of it quick. Though that's from memory so I can't be sure if it was poor communication from the receiver.

My thoughts on grounding:

1. If the ball stays in the field of play it better damn well be without a doubt grounding and no where near a receiver. Additionally, if the throw was downfield but interfered with causing it to be errant, it ain't grounding.

2. Grounding should be called way more often on quarterbacks throwing it thirty feet out the back of the end zone in the red zone. Rodgers, Brees and Brady pull this one all the time and it's bullshit.

3. Pressure shouldn't be necessary.

Dragon

Banned
I said first 3 games. They need to tighten up those language arts classes in Massachusetts.

Funny enough, I went to college in Pennsylvania. Zing!

Holes. Steelers offense was decimated at TE and Running Back to start the season, and the passing game suffered as a result. Play caller went out on defense and now it's done by a 6th round rookie. Team is in 'transition' which is code for garbage.

Pats are having the same problems. Fortunately for them in their first three games they played the hapless Bills and dysfunctional Jets.

It's telling though that Brady doesn't throw a TD for the first time in 52 games and Pats fans want him benched.

If you're talking about me I was fucking joking.

eznark

Banned
Peyton Manning is such a noodle arm.

ibmZbQzzp045YF.gif

Dragon

Banned
Peyton Manning is such a noodle arm.

ibmZbQzzp045YF.gif

He did underthrow his receiver on that interception yesterday!

Peyton doesn't have a noodle arm as much as he bizarrely throws ducks all the time. It's weird to see him be so accurate while having more wobble than Christina Hendricks.

KaYotiX

Banned
Oakland Raiders released QB Matt Flynn. Horrible move by Reggie McKenzie, trading a draft pick for him.

McKenzie selected Tyler Wilson with his 4th round pick and traded a 2014 5th for Matt Flynn. Tyler Wilson is currently on the practice squad and Flynn isn't on the roster. This should be a fireable offense.

Flynn had 2 great games against crappy defenses and ppl thought he was worth something? Hahaha.... He will prolly hit Houston on his shitty team tour of the NFL.

bionic77

I am with eznark that grounding should be called more often.

The refs only seem to call it when the qb is in the grasp of the defender and throws it in the dirt. Smart qb's are taking advantage of the leeway given to them and it is a nice bailout when the offense is getting pushed around.

If qb's know they can't get away with this then they will start to force more throws and we are going to see more Schaubs. And who the fuck doesn't like seeing the other qb throw a schaub and put up 7 points for your team?

Mully

With the 0-5 start, Kevin Gilbride's got to start thinking about grabbing ANOTHER defensive lineman again in 2014's first round.

cajunator

Banned
Oakland Raiders released QB Matt Flynn. Horrible move by Reggie McKenzie, trading a draft pick for him.

McKenzie selected Tyler Wilson with his 4th round pick and traded a 2014 5th for Matt Flynn. Tyler Wilson is currently on the practice squad and Flynn isn't on the roster. This should be a fireable offense.

C'mon.. talking about a 5th rounder here. Didn't have many options at the time and Flynn pushed Pryor so it worked out. Whiffing on Wilson was more costly, but many teams and scouts had a 4th round grade or higher on him. They found McG as an undrafted who basically replaced Wilson, so it doesn't matter much.

Still have Wilson on the practice squad by the way, and it won't surprise me if they go ahead and promote him after working out Carr and White.

Dragon

Banned
Language arts is a primary school class, Dragon. SMH.

You really do seem to have taken this Steelers shitting all over themselves thing too seriously. And I've never heard of language arts, nor primary school. In Massachusetts we had elementary school, junior high, and high school. And in Japan when I lived there we certainly didn't have whatever the fuck primary school is. So get off your high fucking horse and stop crying over a shitty football team. Really.

To be fair God had just finished pissing all over Brady for being a cheating scumbag.

I assume God is punishing the Steelers because their owners are racist scumbags who employ a QB who rapes people then? Cool.

number three really seems like the only one thats fully his fault.
Although why he threw the ball in the first one when hes getting raped by Eagles is questionable.
Really? I'd say number three is the LEAST one that's his fault. Hakeem Nicks just downright quits on the route. It's a slant that had been working on the Eagles all day. he fights to get inside position and then he just.....stops.

The first one if a fluke and technically should have been called for hitting the QB in the helmet by rule. Considering the shitty non-safety call earlier though, it's a wash so not much to complain about.

The second one is a combination of just needing to take the sack instead of putting the ball in harms way but to me it still damn near a completion if not for a defensive player that goes straight balls out to make a play.

Though feel free to disagree. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

This might sound crazy, but why not have Cam Newton in Houston? It's clear the Panthers are getting to the point where they are about to blow things up, and Newton is going to go down for what is -- in my opinion anyways -- mostly Rivera's fault. I think Houston will stink enough to miss the playoffs, but well enough to miss out on any good QBs in the draft.

I think you've misread the situation in Carolina.

Cam will be the last guy that gets turned on here. He's the most exciting player for the franchise maybe ever for the fans, and for the FO they've invested too much in him to just throw him away.

Hurney's already gone.
Rivera will be gone.
Shula will be gone.
The rest of the coaches will go.
At least one of the RB's will go.
Hell they might trade Steve Smith in an attempt to get younger at WR before they jettison Cam.

And what would the Panthers trade the cornerstone of their franchise for? An ageing Andre Johnson? Arian Foster in a league where good RBs are a dime a dozen? Schoob? A bunch of draft picks?

But I do think they might seek to bring in another QB in the draft to get more competition at the position in the offseason.

eznark

Banned
Rivera really needs to make a better read here. Ron makes bad read and a worse throw. No wonder Panther fans want him gone.

ibj0D4wzzdFt3X.gif

The first Eli INT killed me because not only did it effectively end the game, it was a blatant blow to the head that caused him the shank the throw and have the ball carom off his own lineman's head. Eli has absorbed late hits since the last Superbowl run and never seems to get a roughing call (Imagine if that was Brady). And of course the TD of the great throw/catch from Foles2Celek.. man.

I

Farooq

Banned
ZUrsstC.gif

Different angle for the pick.

Couple of thoughts from my perspective. First, it seems Escobar was Romo's 2nd or 3rd read, and Murray was probably his last read in his progression. It seemed like Escobar was getting open, and Romo made the decision to throw it to him. Romo said in the press conference he wanted to get the ball 1 or 2 feet ahead of Escobar, but the circumstances in the pocket did not allow him to throw the ball the way he wanted.

Second, Romo's front foot does get caught on the leg of his left tackle (Tyron Smith), which leads him to become a little off balanced.

Third, the left guard (Ronald Leary), in trying to help his Center, blocks off space for Romo to step into the throw, which I think also altered the velocity of the throw.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013...ciphering-the-decision-tony-romo-interception

This link goes into a little bit more detail about Romo's decision and the circumstances of the play.

You really do seem to have taken this Steelers shitting all over themselves thing too seriously. And I've never heard of language arts, nor primary school. In Massachusetts we had elementary school, junior high, and high school. And in Japan when I lived there we certainly didn't have whatever the fuck primary school is. So get off your high fucking horse and stop crying over a shitty football team. Really.
Childhood a touchy subject I see. Okay i'll stop.

I assume God is punishing the Steelers because their owners are racist scumbags who employ a QB who rapes people then? Cool.
Oh Snap!

usa-american-football-crime.jpg

bionic77

The Steelers have a black head coach, have had black quarterbacks, and we usually employ black receivers.

The Pats do none of these and can't accuse anyone else of being racist.

Tom Penny

romo-interception-against-broncos.gif

Different angle for the pick.

Couple of thoughts from my perspective. First, it seems Escobar was Romo's 2nd or 3rd read, and Murray was probably his last read in his progression. It seemed like Escobar was getting open, and Romo made the decision to throw it to him. Romo said in the press conference he wanted to get the ball 1 or 2 feet ahead of Escobar, but the circumstances in the pocket did not allow him to throw the ball the way he wanted.

Second, Romo's front foot does get caught on the leg of his left tackle (Tyron Smith), which leads him to become a little off balanced.

Third, the left guard (Ronal Leary), in trying to help his Center, blocks off space for Romo to step into the throw, which I think also altered the velocity of the throw.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013...ciphering-the-decision-tony-romo-interception

This link goes into a little bit more detail about Romo's decision and the circumstances of the play.

That was shit decision and also doesn't excuse taking a sack on the previous play when he clearly had time to throw the ball way. He put himself in that position to begin with.

Sanjuro

The Steelers have a black head coach, have had black quarterbacks, and we usually employ black receivers.

The Pats do none of these and can't accuse anyone else of being racist.

Michael Bishop was the greatest black QB of all time. He threw a hail mary pass one time. Unbelievable!

squicken

How does anyone not notice that Bronco completely laying out to make that INT? It's an amazing catch for a WR let alone a LB

Farooq

Banned
That was shit decision and also doesn't excuse taking a sack on the previous play when he clearly had time to throw the ball way. He put himself in that position to begin with.

2nd and 16, how is that a shit decision? Escobar was open. This isn't college, in the NFL that is open. More than anything else, it was a bad throw. The decision was not shit, based on the circumstances of the game.

Also you want to talk about that sack? The horsecollar that was not called. That one?

2nd and 16, how is that a shit decision. Escobar was open. This isn't college, in the NFL that is open. More than anything else, it was a bad throw. The decision was not shit, based on the circumstances of the game.

Also you want to talk about that sack? The horsecollar that was not called. That one?

It wasn't a horsecollar. He grabbed by his shoulder pads and dragged him down.

Rivera really needs to make a better read here. Ron makes bad read and a worse throw. No wonder Panther fans want him gone.

ibj0D4wzzdFt3X.gif

Err, that throw is clearly Chud's fault.

How is not the coaches fault for calling a play into double coverage look SMH?

I'm done blindly defending Cam. He's past the "Oh, he's young he'll learn" stage. It's time to put up or shut up.

That's not going to get it done.

@Futurevoid

Losing our starting left guard off an already patchwork line is a killer. Travelle Wharton stepped in after Silatolu's injury yesterday and immediately gave up a big sack.

squicken

You people need to learn to lose with dignity. I've rooted for shit ass teams forever and I'm not dumping on everything!

ESPN QB Report

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/91799/nfl-week-5-quarterback-report

Cam Newton
Passer rating: 47.8
QBR: 5.7
Analysis: Newton couldn't handle the Arizona Cardinals' frequent and effective blitzing. The Cardinals sent at least five pass-rushers on 60 percent of his dropbacks, and on those plays, Newton threw all three of his interceptions and took all seven of his sacks. He didn't complete any of the six passes he threw at least 15 yards downfield. The book seems out against Newton: Blitz him as much as you can. He entered the game facing the blitz on a league-high 44 percent of his dropbacks. I wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon.

Russell Wilson
Passer rating: 78.7
QBR: 67.1
Briefly: A big day running the ball -- 13 carries, 102 yards, six first downs -- was mitigated by some struggles in the passing game against the Colts. Wilson completed only 2 of 8 passes on third down, converting one into a first down, and also had trouble finding open receivers against the Colts' standard pass rush. He missed on 12 of 19 attempts against four or fewer pass-rushers.

Tom Brady
Passer rating: 52.2
QBR: 16.8
Analysis: A miserable fourth quarter in Cincinnati contributed to Brady's second sub-30 QBR game of the season. Sunday's 16.8 was his second lowest since the start of 2006. In a driving rainstorm, Brady managed just three completions in his final 12 attempts. Three of those passes were dropped, but Brady had accuracy issues as well. The Bengals' blitz also got to him, forcing five incompletions in nine attempts and accounting for three of their four sacks. Brady took three sacks on third down and two came on play-action dropbacks. He completed only two of the eight play-action passes he did get off. As a result, Brady's streak of 52 games with a touchdown pass came to an end. The jury very much remains out on whether he can make this personnel group work, at least against good defenses.

I've noticed that Brady has missed some guys open quick, and had the pressure right on him, as they have run so much PA this year.

My thoughts on grounding:

1. If the ball stays in the field of play it better damn well be without a doubt grounding and no where near a receiver. Additionally, if the throw was downfield but interfered with causing it to be errant, it ain't grounding.

2. Grounding should be called way more often on quarterbacks throwing it thirty feet out the back of the end zone in the red zone. Rodgers, Brees and Brady pull this one all the time and it's bullshit.

3. Pressure shouldn't be necessary.

Your absolutely right on 2 and 3. Those two are poorly officiated. I feel like they get #1 right pretty often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom