• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 5 |OT| - Are you ready for some 11:35 pm football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
whoa...just noticed... Romo is having a great season huh? someone explain this to me. Just ONE int?

I've been glancing at Cowboys games here and there...but it'll be nice to watch the whole game this weekend when they face the Broncos.

He's been making lots of short throws. It's kept him clean, but the offense sucks.

Bowser

He wasn't even a bad LB last year. He was certainly somebody replaceable, but he was the best LB by default because Boley was done. Kiwanuka was the other LB'er. I know you want to get better at MLB than Chase but they went with another injury prone LB'er in Dan Connor and the young Mark Herzlich, who showed little last year in the base defense. The situation at LB is just laughable now. Sort of can't wait until the offseason so they can just unload on so many overpaid guys and start anew with the defense.

Honestly, I hope he passes the physical and tears it up with the Giants. The guy has a lot of heart and leadership qualities...it's a shame his body gave up on him. He's certainly miscast at WLB and I still think he can be a solid MLB in this league. I don't know if he'll ever regain Pro Bowl form (doubt it, sadly), but again, I think he can be a solid starter in this league.

LevelNth

Banned
Woke up to a tweet that the Bengals traded for Beason. I remember when some people had him behind only Willis at MLB. Man his injuries really took a toll, it would be nice if this helps he regain some form.

effzee

WFAN in NY suggesting why not bring in Freeman.

Jets only activate 2 QBs on gameday. Brady Quinn is #3 but never dresses. Matt Simms is #2 but not someone they want to turn to if Geno gets hurt or just plays terribly to the point he is benched.

Might want to take a look. Though I think Freeman needs to go someplace with an offensive minded HC and someone who works with QBs. Rex doesn't even know what offense is.

Bowser

Woke up to a tweet that the Bengals traded for Beason. I remember when some people had him behind only Willis at MLB. Man his injuries really took a toll, it would be nice if this helps he regain some form.

He's going to the Giants, not the Bengals.

1.jpg

bionic77

I'd laugh if Brandon Weeden still goes to the bench and either Josh Freeman or Jason Checkdown starts
Freeman seems like a huge upgrade over either of those clowns.

Browns should sign him to a minimum 1 year deal ASAP. If he is smart he will take it and play his ass off to get another contract with the Browns or another team (which I would never give him, even if he plays well he is going to have to play well for more than 10 games before he gets a real contract).

Anyways horrible shitty luck on Hoyer. My condolences Browns fans. Browns were looking like the best team in the division until that happened. Weeden is fucking garbage and is barely good enough to be a backup.

LJ11

Everyone has a love affair with Freeman all of a sudden, or at least suggesting that X team bring him in. He sucks, but I guess if you have no other option why not.

Marrone pulled Byrd last night, he wanted to play but Marrone told him to sit. No surprise that Byrd wanted in last night, bright lights against suspect QBs had him salivating.

Looking back on last night, Alonso really went off, best game yet. Lawson is playing well too, never expected that. If Alonso can cut back on over pursuing or trying to nail dudes in the backfield who knows what his ceiling is.

Pettine was determined to stop Cameron last night. Safeties were jumping everything his way and it gave the Browns a lot of one on ones.

Another case of the hurry up O hurting Bills D. Couldn't sustain O but we kept going at a quick tempo, D never took a rest.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Agree that makes a lot of sense for the Browns to try out Freeman for the rest of the year.

If he does well then great you have your QB. If he doesn't then theres nothing lost. It's a better idea than playing Campbell or Weeden anyway.

Weeden is fucking garbage and is barely good enough to be a backup.
I think you're over-exaggerating how bad Weeden is (I feel like the Weeden defense force at this point, haha). Unlike Hoyer he didn't have the benefit of playing with Josh Gordon until yesterday and I think that'll help him a lot. The Browns aren't going to be great but with that defense I could still see them competing for the division.

bionic77

Even in that condition, he's still more mobile than Weeden. I say you roll the dice and put Hoyer out there.

Next week is the Lions. :gulp: The Browns better get two more QB's ready.
You can't throw accurately without your ACL. Maybe for a game or two with a brace, but it is not a good idea and it will cause more damage to the cartilage the longer you play on it.

If he can't plant on that leg and is just using his arm to slang it the throws are going to float and he will be INT 3 times a game (unless he is playing the Steelers, then he should be ok).

Even in that condition, he's still more mobile than Weeden. I say you roll the dice and put Hoyer out there.

Next week is the Lions. :gulp: The Browns better get two more QB's ready.
I agree that Hoyer could probably throw well enough in a wheelchair but he might have an issue with batted passes.

bionic77

I think you're over-exaggerating how bad Weeden is (I feel like the Weeden defense force at this point, haha). Unlike Hoyer he didn't have the benefit of playing with Josh Gordon until yesterday and I think that'll help him a lot. The Browns aren't going to be great but with that defense I could still see them competing for the division.
Get me a Browns fan to tell me that they have confidence in Weeden. Just one!

Weeden is trash. He is not a starting NFL qb.

Weeden is trash. He is not a starting NFL qb.
Gondo, perhaps?

I'm not saying Weeden is great but I think he's serviceable until they get someone better. If his release timing and pocket awareness improve a little he'll be plenty good enough to help the Browns compete for the AFC North crown.

Bringing in Freeman seems crazy to me, and Campbell is trash with a known ceiling of trash.

KingGondo

Banned
The Browns should sign Freeman, draft a QB in next year's draft, and trade/release Weeden. Roll next year with Freeman/Hoyer as your starter/backup and develop the rookie behind them.

Weeden leaving Cleveland would be best for everyone. Most of the fans have no faith in him, and Brandon knows Lombardi and Banner are itching to erase every vestige of the Holmgren era.

bionic77 said:
Sup.

Actually, I think they'll be fine with him as long as they adjust to his strengths. More downfield routes, better protection (which was definitely the case with Lauvao back), and a better running game (last night was better than what they got in the first two games of the season).

Both of their second half TD drives were driven by him. He made good throws when he had protection and open receivers, and he avoided making big mistakes when he didn't.

Nobody's gonna mistake him for Tom Brady, but he's not Ryan Leaf either.

bionic77

The Browns should sign Freeman, draft a QB in next year's draft, and trade/release Weeden. Roll next year with Freeman/Hoyer as your starter/backup and develop the rookie behind them.

Weeden leaving Cleveland would be best for everyone. Most of the fans have no faith in him, and Brandon knows Lombardi and Banner are itching to erase every vestige of the Holmgren era.

Sup.

Actually, I think they'll be fine with him as long as they adjust to his strengths. More downfield routes, better protection (which was definitely the case with Lauvao back), and a better running game (last night was better than what they got in the first two games of the season).

Both of their second half TD drives were driven by him. He made good throws when he had protection and open receivers, and he avoided making big mistakes when he didn't.

Nobody's gonna mistake him for Tom Brady, but he's not Ryan Leaf either.
There are not many qb's that are not amazing when they have protection and a good running game.

Weeden has always looked horrible when he is faced with the slightest hint of a pass rush. There were multiple times last night where he panicked and rushed his throw. If he doesn't have that pocket awareness by now he will never have it. And he is never going to be able to win games. The best you can hope is that he doesn't lose them. That is not the guy the Browns need to be successful.

I see. Maybe won't be worse case scenario.
They already know if he tore his MRI. Any decent ortho can tell that within a minute on physical exam.

eznark

Banned
Everyone has a love affair with Freeman all of a sudden, or at least suggesting that X team bring him in. He sucks, but I guess if you have no other option why not.

It's so fucking weird to me that people are turning hatred of Schiano into Freeman being a promising young quarterback with tons of skill. That sort of alchemy is God damn terrifying.

Colasante

Stevan Ridley missed his third day of practice today. Probably not going to play on Sunday. It'll be Brandon Bolden, LeGarrette Blount, and Leon Washington against the Bengals. So, needless to say, expect a pass-heavy gameplan.

Stevan Ridley missed his third day of practice today. Probably not going to play on Sunday. It'll be Brandon Bolden, LeGarrette Blount, and Leon Washington against the Bengals. So, needless to say, expect a pass-heavy gameplan.
Does it really matter who the RB is with that o-line? The Pats have been great at turning warm bodies into productive RB's lately. As long as they aren't fumbling I don't see much reason for things to change.

I trust your knowledge on the Pats, though. Am I missing something?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Are people forgetting thus far Freeman has had a worse season then Weeden?

Going forward they're going to use Weeden and pray he doesn't lose games for them. They are going to limit him like they did last night but take shot on offense when one presents itself.

But definitely echoing what jak was saying. Weeden cannot handle any sort of pressure and add to that he seems to have an inability to feel the pressure and then as the cherry on top he also holds the ball way to long and seems more content with taking a sack then throwing the ball away if he doesn't have a receiver open.

I trust Norv and Chud will gameplan to his strengths but going forward its going to be on the defense and special teams to hold the fort for us to have any real shot at winning.

Colasante

Does it really matter who the RB is with that o-line? The Pats have been great at turning warm bodies into productive RB's lately. As long as they aren't fumbling I don't see much reason for things to change.

I trust your knowledge on the Pats, though. Am I missing something?

Not really. They can churn yards out with any of their backs, but Ridley is by far the most talented. He's the only one capable of being a bellcow back, but since they're dedicated to the committee approach this season, his absence isn't as big a deal as it would've been last season.

It's so fucking weird to me that people are turning hatred of Schiano into Freeman being a promising young quarterback with tons of skill. That sort of alchemy is God damn terrifying.

A lot of people have never really seen him play. It's the Schaub situation. Except Schaub was exposed when the hapless Texans suddenly got good around him.

Hehehehehehe

LJ11

Really is. They'll be making jokes about him as soon as he's back on the field.

I just hate that if the Raiders pull him in, ever sports writer and fan is going to say, It's just like a Jim Plunkett situation...and, well, it's really not.

Fans and poor writers love to make lazy comparisons.

KingGondo

Banned
Are people forgetting thus far Freeman has had a worse season then Weeden?

Going forward they're going to use Weeden and pray he doesn't lose games for them. They are going to limit him like they did last night but take shot on offense when one presents itself.

But definitely echoing what jak was saying. Weeden cannot handle any sort of pressure and add to that he seems to have an inability to feel the pressure and then as the cherry on top he also holds the ball way to long and seems more content with taking a sack then throwing the ball away if he doesn't have a receiver open.

I trust Norv and Chud will gameplan to his strengths but going forward its going to be on the defense and special teams to hold the fort for us to have any real shot at winning.
I agree with this.

Also, I want to emphasize that I think the Browns and Weeden should (and will) part ways after this season.

Things are looking promising for the future, but this draft is critical. If they nail it, this is a contending team for years to come. If they whiff... same old Browns. :(

Form an actual argument and I'll give you an actual response, troll.

Okay!

Wallace's one trick is beating coverages. Unless Philbin sends him on fly routes all game the defense isn't going to fall for it indefinitely. Even if they did that it only works so well.

Wallace's short game sucks. He doesn't want to fight for balls over the middle and is easily caught on simple drags and curls because he goes down easy. If drawing the second safety away was as much of a win button as you're implying wallace would never have gotten away from the Burgh.

Wallace s also a body catcher; don't expect him to win when he's stride for stride with a defender.

It's an old argument, but considering the disappearing act Wallace has had the first 4 weeks I think it's more valid than ever.

Josh Freeman is still liked by Greg Olson

I guess, we'll see what happens...

I honestly, don't know how to feel about this.
Good I hope this happens right now, fuck everyone that's saying we should sign Freeman

Edit:
Raiders OC Greg Olson said he's "always been a fan of" free agent Josh Freeman.
"I've always been a fan of Josh as a person and a player," Olson said. "I've always had the utmost respect for him. I think he’s a great player." Terrelle Pryor looks to be an intriguing long-term option for the Raiders at quarterback, but they could use some help at the No. 2 spot. UDFA Matt McGloin supplanted Matt Flynn as Pryor's backup this week. Freeman and Olson were together in Tampa Bay for Freeman's first three seasons. Speaking on the Raiders' potential interest in Freeman, coach Dennis Allen simply replied, "I don't know."

effzee

Marrone pulled Byrd last night, he wanted to play but Marrone told him to sit. No surprise that Byrd wanted in last night, bright lights against suspect QBs had him salivating.

What's the story with Byrd. See his name pop up in a lot of trade rumors.

Does he not want to play in Buffalo. Locker room cancer? He is on his last year of his contract right?

I'd love for the Eagles to take a look at him.

And as for Freeman vs Schiano. They both suck but as I have always believed finding a good QB or even an adequate QB is a lot harder than finding a good coach. Maybe Freeman has something in him that he can turn it around. Maybe not. I do know a lot of how a QB develops also depends on who and where he is drafted. Freeman is young enough and physically has the tools to be given a 2nd chance.

There are tons of guys in the league who keep getting chances despite terrible QB play so why not Freeman? Especially for teams with no answers at QB.

Okay!

It's an old argument, but considering the disappearing act Wallace has had the first 4 weeks I think it's more valid than ever.
Wallace had a career high 9 catches against Indy and none of them were fly routes. He had a terrible game against the Saints (according to PFF his worst ever since becoming a pro) which I already discussed. In the other two games he wasn't 100% and was primarily acting as a decoy from what I could tell.

The jury is still out but he's been disappointing without question. I already said as much yesterday and even mentioned you in the post.

Not sure what that has to do with the warm bodies comment, to be honest. Even with Wallace's minimal contribution the offense has opened up more for other guys like Gibson, Clay, and Hartline because Wallace has drawn so much attention from safeties playing over the top. Even the running game has looked improved lately with a pretty bad o-line.

LJ11

When your QB delivers the ball late it just kills everything you're trying to do on O, even when catches are made.

These young QBs don't anticipate the WR breaks, hoping it's a rep issue because they flash it at times.

Right now Manuel and Steve Johnson are not on the same page, and Manuel forces him the rock at times. Fitz and Steve were on the same page all game long. Manuel's not in sync fully with Robert Woods either, but you can tell they're better together. You saw a throw in the 3rd Q on a curl that Manuel threw before Woods was out of his break. Ball hit Robert right in the hands as soon as he turned around, Haden was twisted so Woods had plenty of room for RAC.

More throws like that please. Timing is everything. When you see legends going out before the game to work on it a rookie should be pulling double time.

What's the story with Byrd. See his name pop up in a lot of trade rumors.

Does he not want to play in Buffalo. Locker room cancer? He is on his last year of his contract right?

I'd love for the Eagles to take a look at him.

And as for Freeman vs Schiano. They both suck but as I have always believed finding a good QB or even an adequate QB is a lot harder than finding a good coach. Maybe Freeman has something in him that he can turn it around. Maybe not. I do know a lot of how a QB develops also depends on who and where he is drafted. Freeman is young enough and physically has the tools to be given a 2nd chance.

There are tons of guys in the league who keep getting chances despite terrible QB play so why not Freeman? Especially for teams with no answers at QB.

Byrd is not a cancer, he just wants to get paid well. He's a good dude. This is his one and only opportunity to make enough money to sustain himself for the rest of his life. Byrd's trade value is essentially zero, because you have to sign him at the end of the season.

Wallace had a career high 9 catches against Indy and none of them were fly routes. He had a terrible game against the Saints (according to PFF his worst ever since becoming a pro) which I already discussed. In the other two games he wasn't 100% and was primarily acting as a decoy from what I could tell.

The jury is still out but he's been disappointing without question. I already said as much yesterday and even mentioned you in the post.

Not sure what that has to do with the warm bodies comment, to be honest. Even with Wallace's minimal contribution the offense has opened up more for other guys like Gibson, Clay, and Hartline because Wallace has drawn so much attention from safeties playing over the top.

I don't know what argument you want me to make? I said your team was a bunch of warm bodies at WR which you disputed, and claimed that Davone Bess specifically was just a guy. The Dolphins clearly agreed with me as they shipped him to the Browns and took Brandon Gibson.

You claimed that Brian Hartline was a great WR, and he is on pace to have the same season he did last, which is good for your team. You also claimed Wallace was a true number 1 and your team will benefit. I don't see how, Hartline is getting his numbers but the rest of the team is performing the same as they did last season roughly while your 'number 1 receiver' is off to the worst start of his career.

Troll troll troll, that's what I do.

It looks like Chris Snee is officially headed to IR today. Surgery on his hip looks to be the reason. He's been a rock for us for years and his prime he was a beast but I think its time he retire. He hasn't been the same player for nearly 3 seasons now.

One more spot needs to be opened up for Will Hill.

I don't know what argument you want me to make? I said your team was a bunch of warm bodies at WR which you disputed, and claimed that Davone Bess specifically was just a guy. The Dolphins clearly agreed with me as they shipped him to the Browns and took Brandon Gibson.

You claimed that Brian Hartline was a great WR, and he is on pace to have the same season he did last, which is good for your team. You also claimed Wallace was a true number 1 and your team will benefit. I don't see how, HArtline is getting his numbers but the rest of the team is performing the same as they did last season rouchly while your 'number 1 receiver' is off to the worst start of his career.

Troll troll troll, that's what I do.
Eh, you are stretching the stuff I said. To me warm bodies implies that there is nothing about the guy that is even above average, which I would dispute for Hartline and Gibson. I wouldn't say either guy is "great" but I would say they are above average. Bess was also an above average slot guy in my opinion.

Did I claim that Wallace was a true number 1, or did I claim that the jury was still out on that? I never expected Wallace to magically gain the physical attributes that he clearly doesn't possess (like size and strength), but I wasn't ready to give up on his route running. I'm still not ready to give up on that.

I've been disappointed with Wallace so far. I can understand why Steelers fans say the stuff they say about him. However, I still think it was borderline necessary to bring him in if you want the Dolphins to have a shot at competing this season. I don't think the team would be 3-1 without him and I don't think the offense would be performing as well.

Trey

Byrd is not a cancer, he just wants to get paid well. He's a good dude. This is his one and only opportunity to make enough money to sustain himself for the rest of his life. Byrd's trade value is essentially zero, because you have to sign him at the end of the season.

Bills should have paid him - locked him up for five years at 7.5-8 per. That will be a bargain in two or three years.

LJ11

Bills should have paid him - locked him up for five years at 7.5-8 per. That will be a bargain in two or three years.

Should have done it a couple of years ago. I'm sure they approached him, but he was better off waiting. He should be resigned.

Bills cut their punter, he was awful last night but I'm not sure who the better alternative is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom