• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Wild Card |OT| The Return of Jafar

say that to my face biiiiiiiiiiiitch

image.php

Mrbob

No need for insider information. The Lions are the most attractive HC job for a variety of reasons. Most people agree with this. We're stacked with talent, have a franchise QB, went 7-9 and still have the #10 pick in the draft.

If the Lions and Mayhew wanted Lovie Smith we would've had him by now.

We're waiting for Whisenhunt and the Chargers to finish whatever they are going to do.

Book it, Ken Whisenhunt will be the Lions HC and the more I think about it the more I agree with that decision.

The most attractive except two teams already hired new high profile head coaches before Detroit has.

Good thing Lovie ran a ton of man to man, and would welcome having Revis on the team so he can rob the middle of the field with an extra defender.

Florio's an idiot. Might cut him for money, but the idea that he doesn't fit into Lovie's scheme is fucking stupid.

I didn't bother reading beyond Florio's first paragraph, but even that was sufficient to kill a few brain cells.

Good thing Lovie ran a ton of man to man, and would welcome having Revis on the team so he can rob the middle of the field with an extra defender.

Florio's an idiot. Might cut him for money, but the idea that he doesn't fit into Lovie's scheme is fucking stupid.

Saw Chris Brown saying the same thing on Twitter. Said Lovie ran a lot if Cover 1.

LJ11

Saw Chris Brown saying the same thing on Twitter. Said Lovie ran a lot if Cover 1.

Lovie and the Bears D had kind of a rebirth at the end of his run, and Matt Bowen did detailed breakdowns on why they were having success. Basically started playing man free, Bowen always does a good job and he covers the Bears. Like Nick Saban says best defense on the planet is man free, it covers everything and helps you in run support, but few teams can actually play it. Revis helps you play man free, puts the numbers in your favor.

No need for insider information. The Lions are the most attractive HC job for a variety of reasons. Most people agree with this. We're stacked with talent, have a franchise QB, went 7-9 and still have the #10 pick in the draft.

If the Lions and Mayhew wanted Lovie Smith we would've had him by now.

We're waiting for Whisenhunt and the Chargers to finish whatever they are going to do.

Book it, Ken Whisenhunt will be the Lions HC and the more I think about it the more I agree with that decision.

The thing that kinda scares me...what if Whisenhunt says no thanks? We would have waited two weeks to be rejected, and by that time the best coaches will be taken. O'Brien and Smith are already off the board.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
The thing that kinda scares me...what if Whisenhunt says no thanks? We would have waited two weeks to be rejected, and by that time the best coaches will be taken. O'Brien and Smith are already off the board.

Well thats certainly a possibility, but very few coaches are going to turn down a head coaching job to remain a coordinator. Most coordinators would jump at the opportunity to get a HC job, especially Whisenhunt since getting fired in Arizona probably left a bad taste in his mouth.

I think there have been some talks behind the scenes where Whisenhunt and Mayhew have already spoken and an agreement will be reached after the Chargers playoff run.

Also I've read that Mayhew wanted Schwartz fired last year, but Tom Lewand overroad his decision and that is one of the main reasons Mayhew thankfully kept his job. That and his stellar draft class from last year. It's cant be stated enough how much getting Warford in the 3rd round and LaAdrian Waddle as a UDFA helped us and shored up the offensive line along with Riley Reiff at Left Tackle.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Double post but fuck it I'm on another late night binge till I start working again in a week or so:

1488967_10152092962458605_1583475684_n.jpg

The Lions are trying to break the stereotype of "same old Lions"

Same old Lions.

It's a stereotype this current front office regime has tried to eradicate from the consciousness of Lions fans since they took over in 2009.

But Monday, after firing head coach Jim Schwartz after five seasons, that phrase was again hitting the airwaves and the chat rooms all around Detroit.

Same old Lions about to begin another coaching search. Same old Lions starting over again.

These Lions aren't starting over, however, and that's the difference this time around. This roster is filled with young, talented players, who are ready to win now. In fact, most outside observers think the Lions coaching job is the most attractive of the currently six NFL head coaching vacancies.

That's never been the case in the past.

Team president Tom Lewand and general manager Martin Mayhew were very clear during Monday's press conference about their expectation for the new coaching regime and the expectations the Ford Family has.

"The expectation is to bring a consistently-winning football team to the city of Detroit immediately," Lewand said.

The Lions are viewing this next coaching search very different than any other coaching search they've conducted in over a decade. This isn't just another revolving door that's going to see it's eighth different coach walk through in the last 15 years.

They view this search as an evolution to finally put to bed the "same old Lions" moniker and to definitively turn this organization into a consistent winner for a loyal fan base.

"There is not really much of a comparison between where we were in 2009 and where we are now," Mayhew said. "We are trying to get to another place and trying to get to another level."

It isn't a question about the Lions fighting to be a competitive football team anymore. Matthew Stafford, Calvin Johnson, Reggie Bush and Ndmamkong Suh ensure the Lions will be competitive every time they step on the field.

Going from competitive to consistently good to hosting playoffs games and being a real factor in championship conversation is the next evolution.

It's why this current coaching search is the most import this organization has ever conducted. The time to win is now.

It's time to move on from "same old Lions.”

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/li...-heading/121839ef-21cc-4a74-a0c4-ad207d73e6ca

It's really refreshing watching that press conference. It was old man Ford who was ruining our franchise for so long. It's nice to see smart, competent people who want to bring winning football to Detroit. Old Man Ford was just too loyal of a guy and didn't know when to cut ties, and possibly didn't give a shit. His son however does, and is the main guy above Lewand and Mayhew making the calls.

He knows Detroit is an amazing sports town and the fans have been deprived for far too long.

One playoff win in 50 years. Fuck that.

Offseason steps:

1.) Get Ken Whisenhunt as coach right after the Chargers win their Superbowl.

2.) Give Suh a contract extension so he is here long term. We'll probably find a replacement for Fairley after his rookie contract is over because we won't be able to afford both.

3.) Draft Sammy Watkins or whoever is the BPA at #10.

After that its wait and see on who is available in free agency and what cuts we need to make. Maybe sign Kenny Britt on a contract that is incentive based, where we can cut him ASAP if he fucks up. Megatron would be a good mentor for him though IMO.

Tom Lewand from the press conference: "As I mentioned I think this is a very attractive opportunity, I can verify that by the number of calls we've gotten since the announcement was made at noon (with a smile on his face)"

If we wanted Love Smith we would've had him by now.

Hammer24

Banned
I think I can live with a Smith/Marinelli combo, I´m just not sure if Tedford is experienced enough to jumpstart our anemic offense.
As for Revis: that's a non story for me. You simply can´t play a lot of man coverage, if all the other CB´s are JV quality. He´ll get used to mixed coverages, if he wants to earn his incentives.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Mike Zimmer, Jay Gruden, Greg Roman, Ray Horton, Hue Jackson--all out there. All better than Schwartz.

As much as I don't want it, even Caldwell would actually be better than Schwartz.

Tom Penny

It doesn't matter what the Lions do as long as Rogers is upright GB will keep winning the divsion. Luckily wildcard teams have been winning the SB left and right so there is some hope.

Damn. Tannehill has lost confidence in Sherman.

can't wait for tomorrow.
It's kind of weird to think about but Tannehill has never played QB for an OC other than Sherman. I'm interested in what could have caused him to lose faith in Sherman and also how he'll look in a new offensive system.

I like ol' Mike as a guy but he's just not going to work out in Miami.

gutshot

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/01/02/boykin-getting-last-laugh/

Brandon Boykin fractured his leg in the 2012 Senior Bowl while playing special teams. He needed surgery and had a pair of screws inserted. That was in February. The injury prevented him from participating in the combine or holding a pro day, but the Georgia product received no indication that the injury would negatively affect his draft stock.

It did.

Speaking with some NFL teams leading up to April’s draft, he was told that he was projected to go between No. 26 overall to early in the second round. Instead, he slipped all the way to the fourth round before being selected by the Eagles with the 123rd pick.

There were 12 corners taken before him, and he knows the names of each and every one of them. He sees them every day when he wakes up.

“I’ve got a list of all the corners that were taken before me,” he said. “My fiance made it and put it in our room, framed it. I told myself that I’d end up being better than all of them.

“There was no doubt in my mind that I was the best in the class.”

Those 12 players? Morris Claiborne, Stephon Gilmore, Dre Kirkpatrick, Janoris Jenkins, Casey Hayward, Trumaine Johnson, Josh Robinson, Jamell Fleming, Bill Bentley, Jayron Hosley, Omar Bolden and Coty Sensabaugh.

One thing Boykin has over all of them this year is picks. He finished the regular season tied for second in the NFL with six interceptions, and did so playing just 635 of a possible 1,233 snaps this season, or 51.5 percent of the time. While it may seem counter-intuitive to use one of the defense’s top playmakers only half the time, Billy Davis contends that Boykin has benefited from focusing exclusively on the slot.

Boykin was a great pick. He's going to be a good corner in this league for a long time to come. And we are going to need him to play well this Saturday and help to shut down Graham.

"Winning" 3 Superbowls with the benefit of Spygate...zero without it.

And as far as him not being a "thug" he is one of the biggest assholes to the competition you could find. He talks mad shit on the field.

That "aw shucks" persona is exactly what you are supposed to think he is. It's carefully manufactered.

Out of curiosity, who would YOU say is a "thug"?
You'd have to be a hell of an actor to portray that aw shucks persona flawlessly for all these years. We've seen Brady act. He's a terrible actor.

Just look at the pics with Gisele and his kids. That's all manufactured, right? He loves his wife to death. Remember all the times they've shared intimate moments after games and so forth. She's his partner in crime, not some trophy dime piece. He listens to her and even takes suggestions on shit like fashion, which is another sign you know he's very loving. I respect that. And then the kids. This is a good man, I'm not even trolling. Yeah he talks a lot of shit on the field but that's a totally different environment. He's an incredible competitor.

Shhh, don't call him out on something he was wrong about, he'll scurry away!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95441776&postcount=894

Draft

You'd have to be a hell of an actor to portray that aw shucks persona flawlessly for all these years. We've seen Brady act. He's a terrible actor.

Just look at the pics with Gisele and his kids. That's all manufactured, right? He loves his wife to death. Remember all the times they've shared intimate moments after games and so forth. She's his partner in crime, not some trophy dime piece. He listens to her and even takes suggestions on shit like fashion, which is another sign you know he's very loving. I respect that. And then the kids. This is a good man, I'm not even trolling. Yeah he talks a lot of shit on the field but that's a totally different environment. He's an incredible competitor.

He has to listen because she's the breadwinner.

bionic77

Ugh that weather suuuuuuucks.

I remember when it was colder than that one winter in Ohio for like 10 days (it was like 40 below with the windchill at night). I hated leaving the dorms. Just wanted to stay in bed until the weather improved or the world ended (no particular preference).

KingGondo

Banned
Walter Football's newest mock draft has the Browns taking Manziel at #4 with Hundley still on the board.

If that happens... ugh.

bionic77

I used to like you but now I want all the bad things in the world to happen to the Lions.

Whats that ez? Oh fuck they already happened?

Well then I want things to stay the same for your team for the next 10 years.

KAS get your boy back in line. This is unacceptable. I know that collapse was bad but it was not bad enough to make you like Brady.

He has to listen because she's the breadwinner.

You have to admit it's kinda, what's the word, endearing (?) that he listens to her. For example, remember that long glorious hair he had? That was Gisele. See the white sweater in the second photo from my original post? That's Gisele. His fashion sense in general -- Gisele. It's cute. So many of these big time athletes consider their wives trophies and not much else, and have all kinds of jump-offs in every major city. Brady & Gisele are a true romance. All this coupled with his personality makes the guy likable as hell. Belichick being Belichick is one of the reasons Brady is hated... the hate for Bill infects Brady like a virus. I'm not crazy, right? I'm sure there's other non-Pats fans who feel the same or at least in the ballpark?

Driving in snow isn't exactly fun but driving in ice is just a nightmare. Drove an hour this morning and people were going about 10-15 on the highway, driving half on the road and half on the shoulder just to get some traction. I saw two cars flipped over and countless more sitting off the road. It doesn't help that there are tons of steep hills all over the place around here. I miss being in school and staying home when it's like this.

bionic77

You have to admit it's kinda, what's the word, endearing (?) that he listens to her. For example, remember that long glorious hair he had? That was Gisele. See the white sweater in the second photo from my original post? That's Gisele. His fashion sense in general -- Gisele. It's cute. So many of these big time athletes consider their wives trophies and not much else, and have all kinds of jump-offs in every major city. Brady & Gisele are a true romance. All this coupled with his personality makes the guy likable as hell. Belichick being Belichick is one of the reasons Brady is hated... the hate for Bill infects Brady like a virus. I'm not crazy, right? I'm sure there's other non-Pats fans who feel the same or at least in the ballpark?
ArnoldWRONG.gif

Jesus what is wrong with you?

Get a hold of yourself!

Driving in snow isn't exactly fun but driving in ice is just a nightmare. Drove an hour this morning and people were going about 10-15 on the highway, driving half on the road and half on the shoulder just to get some traction. I saw two cars flipped over and countless more sitting off the road. It doesn't help that there are tons of steep hills all over the place around here. I miss being in school and staying home when it's like this.
Where are you at? Its not a good idea to drive on ice when the roads are not treated.

Where are you at? Its not a good idea to drive on ice when the roads are not treated.
Southwest VA. The temperature is right around freezing this morning so I don't think they expected any ice. Usually they are pretty good about salting the roads if they know something is coming. It should be fine on the way back since it'll be over freezing.

squicken

I think I am finally coming out the other side of this miserable cold. I thought Bortles looked okay last night, and passes the eyeball test, but I don't know if I saw a first round pick, let alone a top 5 guy

Just one game and I was falling in and out of consciousness, but that was my lazy takeaway

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Jim Caldwell?

what the fuck

He's a literal tank commander

Hope that's just a rooney rule checkmark interview... :/

Since Stafford is the size of a tank, this may work out even better than I thought.

Top Bottom