• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Wild Card |OT| The Return of Jafar

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Aren't these the kind of things just about every team TRIES to achieve though? Not making any judgement on the seahawks here, they're damn good, but those are just sports cliches at this point
Fair point, but it actually does translate into specific statements of belief.

Pete Carroll on defense:

1. Limit Explosive Plays
Also known as a bend but don't break approach. Seattle will actually allow an opposing drive to churn through a number of small yardage plays without necessarily getting third down stops like other teams. However, since they are all small yards and they're going through a ton of plays, the chance of a tackle for loss, sack, or turnover sinking the drive end up killing it.

Another key point is that the focus on big plays is assumed to lead to prevention of points as a consequence. He's cited statistics before where pass and run plays over a certain respective yardage turn drives into scoring ones. Total yards? Third and outs? Not as important to Carroll on the list of priorities.

2. Make the Opponent One-Dimensional
3. Get the ball
Yeah, these are pretty standard and obviously the goals for any defense, but whatever point of emphasis Carroll makes is showing results not seen in most defenses.
4. Out-hit/Out-physical the Opponent
This translates into the makeup of the roster. Carroll likes big players, including big CBs that play press and help with the run. We have a strong safety that basically acts as an additional linebacker. We also do regular fundamentals practice.

Pete Carroll on offense:

1. Make Explosive Plays
Runs for large gains. Deep passes from play action. Earlier on this year you saw opposing safeties sitting back 5 miles to counter much of this, and Seattle has had to begrudgingly develop an intermediate passing game as a result.
2. Be Balanced, Never be One-Dimensional
This is actually where Carroll steps into modern day NFL heresy. These days 50/50 run-pass is considered "run heavy" by most. He still believes that a top running game and defense will win him games even without a starting QB(he has said this), just as much as a strong passing attack can win one at least.

Much to many a Seattle fan's chagrin, the emphasis on run-blocking in selecting linemen has also led to suspect pass protection, but that's also why a mobile QB is part of the equation and has been even before Wilson.
3. Protect the Ball
No Sexy Rexys. No Tony Romos. No Brett Favres. We throw it deep but according to scheme not whims. This also leads to us not taking risks that others might, but as the point of emphasis is on turnovers it's OK.
4. Be Physical
There are many finesse offenses in the NFL today. We're not one of them. Hell, even in this thread people have remarked how unsophisticated our offense looked, although I'd argue that it's mostly appearances.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
lulz @ that list hito. i could literally say all those samethings for the niners and give points on how we're doing it. thumbs up!
I'm not sure what you mean by this. 49ers have a similar team that is finding success on many of the same points! Don't sell yourself short!

Although 49ers definitely emphasize linebacker play more than we do.

BigAT

go to a campus in a non hick town old man. back in your day they probably used to rock long skirts but this isn't the 60s anymore

this foreign exchange chick came from sweden for her MBA and I was showing her the campus. she complimented my cologne and I was just wearing my everyday cheap hollister socal. and she was super siked when I told her I'll show you this great restaurant and pulled up in my car

she wasn't expecting me to have that cause they are used to riding in fucking buses and bikes in Europe like gata does, so she was super impressed. ask the Germans they will testify

She was probably just stunned that someone with such a waif-like body was old enough to drive a car.

BigAT

From the Vike Bike to the Buc Truck:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
RT @JosinaAnderson: Filed to ESPN: Leslie Frazier just text me "going to Tampa." Frazier will be next defensive coordinator for the Bucs.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. 49ers have a similar team that is finding success on many of the same points! Don't sell yourself short!

Although 49ers definitely emphasize linebacker play more than we do.

the list itself is hilarious. gotta run the ball! stop the run! cause turnovers! don't turn the ball over! the things you listed are what everyone wants to do and every team goes about achieving those things in different manners

Mrbob

From the Vike Bike to the Buc Truck:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
RT @JosinaAnderson: Filed to ESPN: Leslie Frazier just text me "going to Tampa." Frazier will be next defensive coordinator for the Bucs.

Whelp, guess Mel Tucker is staying on as Bears DC.

I bought my beats because it shows i throw 200$ at headphones cause I can

but now the brand is associated with a loser who is 0-1 in superbowls. they're going up on Craigslist

you never bought beats by dre, your daddy did.

and at least kap is an honest 0-1 in superbowls instead of a cheating 0-5 or however many superbowls brady has lost

RBH

Dallas Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones, a postseason spectator for the fourth consecutive year, is in favor of expanding the NFL playoffs.

"From the standpoint of looking at how exciting it is for a city or a community to be involved in the playoffs and the fact that you can have a team that might have literally operated at .500 or in that area ... you can have that team win the Super Bowl," Jones said Friday on 105.3 The Fan. "That makes a big case for adding a couple of more cities or communities that have NFL teams to the playoffs.

"It just creates that much more excitement and that much more interest for people in those communities. So I fall on the side of the ledger that would increase the playoffs."

Jones was answering a hypothetical question about adding two teams to the playoffs in each conference.

Only one team has won the Super Bowl with a single-digit regular-season win total in a non-strike-shortened season. That was the 2011 New York Giants, who went 9-7 and punched their ticket to the playoffs in Week 17 by defeating the Cowboys with the NFC East title at stake.

The Cowboys have finished 8-8 and lost a Week 17 game that determined the division champion in each of the last three seasons.

Dallas would not have qualified for the playoffs the last four seasons even if they were expanded to include an additional two teams per conference.
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...s-dallas-cowboys-favor-expanding-nfl-playoffs

I'm not even going to type out the obvious joke here. :lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
the list itself is hilarious. gotta run the ball! stop the run! cause turnovers! don't turn the ball over! the things you listed are what everyone wants to do and every team goes about achieving those things in different manners
Hah, well, the defense list is actually taken from material during Carroll's USC days. The offense list is a presumed inversion of it. Don't shoot the messenger!

Regardless, you're ignoring the few points that aren't just boilerplate. Maybe we're just spoiled in the NFC West, but most teams aren't all "gotta run the ball!" these days. The explosive plays stuff is also a specific approach not shared by many other teams.

Not if I was a coach. I have my own list.

For instance on defense:

1. Allow the explosive plays.
We try to give them as much yards per play as possible. If we can let them score on a 99 yard pass, we will let them do that every time. It limits their time on the field so they have less possessions and it's easier to blow out your hammy when you sprint 99 yards.

2. Don't force turnovers
Forcing turnovers means you have to send your offense out again, which increases the risk of my QB getting injured.

3. Try to increase the number of penalties called on your team.
If you try to get called on a penalty on purpose, then you can't do it by accident. Boom, revolutionary.

bionic77

go to a campus in a non hick town old man. back in your day they probably used to rock long skirts but this isn't the 60s anymore

this foreign exchange chick came from sweden for her MBA and I was showing her the campus. she complimented my cologne and I was just wearing my everyday cheap hollister socal. and she was super siked when I told her I'll show you this great restaurant and pulled up in my car

she wasn't expecting me to have that cause they are used to riding in fucking buses and bikes in Europe like gata does, so she was super impressed. ask the Germans they will testify
Damn considering everything on the internet is a lie if you are bragging about giving some stupid euro exchange chick a ride in your import what really probably happened is you gave the local toothless homeless chick a ride to the dumpster behind McDonalds and she gave you a bj in return but it forever broke your heart when she turned down your attempt to return the favor.

That letdown is probably why you hate on any semi attractive woman and you probably lurk in that GAF girlfriend thread and then cry yourself to sleep.

rando14

sheeeeeeeit, am i a brave enough dude to go drinking again right after new years :cool:

> yes
no

For instance on defense:

We try to give them as much yards per play as possible. If we can let them score on a 99 yard pass, we will let them do that every time. It limits their time on the field so they have less possessions and it's easier to blow out your hammy when you sprint 99 yards.

2. Don't force turnovers
Forcing turnovers means you have to send your offense out again, which increases the risk of my QB getting injured.

If you try to get called in a penalty on purpose, then you can't do it by accident. Boom, revolutionary.

it's so crazy it just might work!!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

For instance on defense:

2. Don't force turnovers

If you try to get called on a penalty on purpose, then you can't do it by accident. Boom, revolutionary.

You're the gm for the Raiders!

Hah, well, the defense list is actually taken from material during Carroll's USC days. The offense list is a presumed inversion of it. Don't shoot the messenger!

Regardless, you're ignoring the few points that aren't just boilerplate. Maybe we're just spoiled in the NFC West, but most teams aren't all "gotta run the ball!" these days. The explosive plays stuff is also a specific approach not shared by other teams.

well regardless of where it came from its cliched as hell. even the "keep balanced" is relevant in todays NFL. peypey talks about having to run the ball consistently to keep the defense honest in his weekly "no shit!" interviews.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
well regardless of where it came from its cliched as hell. even the "keep balanced" is relevant in todays NFL. peypey talks about having to run the ball consistently to keep the defense honest in his weekly "no shit!" interviews.
Denver runs 40% of the time. Not sure how that's "consistently"!

For instance on defense:

2. Don't force turnovers

Steve Spagnuolo, that you?

Syrinx

So what's the word? Are they actually gonna black out the games this weekend for not selling out in the cold weather.

Corporate sponsors bought the remaining tickets. No blackouts. At least for Cincy and GB, but I don't think the other two had problems.

LJ11

vic Beasley may finally be a Clemson D prospect that works out at the next level. pure pass rusher. Jets need O weapons but he's a guy that will add big time. Ryan would use him well too.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
couldn't post, cause i'm at a new job and i gotta make it look like I'm actually working.

Bob McNair to start the press conference said he is ready to kick 2013 the hell out of the door and it was totally unacceptable.

lol

Fantastic. RT @MarcSesslerNFL: Texans owner Bob McNair: "I'm ready to kick 2013 the hell out the door."

That's my owner!

MC1dGE3.jpg

Out with Toro, in with Lady. #newmascot

I believe that in Iroquois folklore a ladybug was a harbinger of multiple Super Bowl appearances.
Seth Payne twitter
but you guys kept it pretty calm, I thought y'all, especially Mech, would be jizzing up the thread.

I gotta say though, I did like what I heard, but it was the same stuff you had already heard about being a "game plan" offense etc.

Top Bottom